I think that the failure of the Wii U has shaken Nintendo's confidence to a large degree

The cancellation of the NES mini has me wondering some things. A lot of people say that Nintendo doesn't want to hurt Switch sales by releasing the mini NES along side the Switch, but think about it. What does that tell you about their confidence in the Switch? They are worried about games that are 30 years old hurting their Switch sales? That would tell me that they are extremely insecure when it comes to the Switch. I find that honestly sad.

Then theres a point that it was a limited run from the start. That's cool and understandable, in fact I thought that it was a limited run as well, but the demand was ginormous. From a business standpoint that is strange to be honest to just pull it from the shelves.

Then theres the reason that it was hacked. Maybe this is Nintendo taking their ball and going home? Maybe they are scared that because people can put the entire NES library on the NES mini that will cut into their Virtual Console sales? It's kind of odd considering it shouldn't be difficult to upload the entire NES or SNES library to their VC store. Those game files are extremely small but Nintendo seems to take their sweet time putting their games on the VC store.

Now the SNES classic might be coming out and I honestly am not excited at all. It will be extremely challenging to find and knowing Nintendo they will make it scarcely available...on purpose.

What do you think the reason is? What are your thoughts?

Or Nintendo just wanted to do a limited thing and that was it. Its not like these games arent readily available on every Nintendo console.

Nintendo is still rolling in money and prefers to do things their own way.

I am irked about this whole issue but I can understand their real aggravating goal is likely that they want everyone to have to re-buy 30 year old games at about $5-10 a piece.

ITMT: I just hooked up a gamecube for the fun of it: it is just nostalgia. It doesn't come close to holding up to today's games.

But Nintendo best not over do it. ROMS are out there and we'll be playing N64 games on our PCs if they don't get off their butts and make such collections (as, for instance, Atari 2600 has done) accessible for us all.

I just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart 8+DLC, Smash Bros Wii U plus DLC, and Breath of the Wild.

Sigh so much did I miss out. And so much money.

There was also someone stating (not sure if this was Nintendo or rumourbased) that they discontinued the NES classic to use that factory to produce more Switches, with the whole "doubling production" thing a few weeks back. No idea how true that is though.

Samtemdo8:
I just bought a Wii U and Mario Kart 8+DLC, Smash Bros Wii U plus DLC, and Breath of the Wild.

Sigh so much did I miss out. And so much money.

Shoulda bought a Switch with BOTW and MK8 Deluxe instead and of course Smash Bros 4 is probably getting ported to Switch too. lel.

They were expecting to ship 100 million Wii Us. I imagine that the fact that they barely managed a tenth of that would shake their confidence a bit.

Rangaman:
They were expecting to ship 100 million Wii Us.

source?

sure they expected to sell more than Wii U did but i highly doubt they expected 100 million sales just because Wii did. not many consoles reach that sales figure.

Yoshi178:

Rangaman:

source?

sure they expected to sell more than Wii U did but i highly doubt they expected 100 million sales just because Wii did. not many consoles reach that sales figure.

Here you go: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-07-wii-u-was-expected-to-sell-100-million-units

It projected to reach 100 million units, following on from the Wii.

It's not because of the Wii-U's failure, Nintendo is just weird like that.

The Wii was their most succesful console ever, but they shut off any support for it the moment the Wii-U launched.

Saelune:
Or Nintendo just wanted to do a limited thing and that was it. Its not like these games arent readily available on every Nintendo console.

Nintendo is still rolling in money and prefers to do things their own way.

Pretty much this. With a limited run, they've pretty much sold literally every unit made.

As much as people say they would buy a NES Mini, I'd put money that 90% of the people complaining about the discontinuation would never have bought one had it not been limited edition. It's still a lot of money to spend on some NES titles.

Not knowing the production cost of the NES-Mini I have no way of knowing this but it seems like Nintendo was selling the things at a loss. The games you can get on the NES-Mini are all available on the three virtual consoles for more after all. It does seem dumb that Nintendo is pulling the thing from shelves after seeing how high demand is but this could be that one time when they got it through their collective skulls that they would rather be making more money themselves than providing scalpers with an easy (and large) meal ticket. I don't think the Wii U failing had a big impact on them taking away the Mini though. If Nintendo was serious about having the Switch act as their one and only money-maker they would have likely started to pull the plug on the 3DS but that's just not happening any time soon. The NES Mini is a cool piece of hardware but the 3DS strikes me as being more direct competition to the Switch's success.

Probably. I honestly can't stomach much more of this nonsense from Nintendo. Are they cowards? Are they stupid? Or, worse, are they nefarious, trying to create artificial scarcity? I don't know, but I'm not interested in having to work to enjoy their content. Nobody else in this industry puts consumers through this. I won't lie, I really want an SNES mini. To the degree that my desire to eventually buy a Switch is entirely dependent on my ability to find a SNES. This is Nintendo's last chance with me. You have competitors, Nintendo, and right now they're spanking you.

Rangaman:

Yoshi178:

Rangaman:

source?

Here you go: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2016-07-07-wii-u-was-expected-to-sell-100-million-units

It projected to reach 100 million units, following on from the Wii.

lol

"That doesn't count, yada yada, Nintendo in infallible."

What are you talking about? Infidel! Kill the non-believer! Kill the infidel!

Okay, with my impression of a Nintendo fanboy done, allow me to actually address the topic.

While the Wii U was a huge failure, I'm not surprised by this. Nintendo would have to be blind to be caught off guard by the failure. First, there's the fact that every single one of their consoles, with the exception of the Wii, sold far fewer than its predecessor. Like 10 million fewer. And considering even the SNES only sold around 50 million units, that is significant. Second, there's the shitshow of a job they did advertising the Wii U. Seriously, watch the reveal trailer and tell me what they are advertising with it.

What part does the NES Classic play in all this? Probably none. I see no reason to think they discontinued it because it competed with the virtual console or to use the factory to make more Switches. Both are making massive assumptions and taking leaps in logic that I am not prepared to make. Nor do I really buy that it was a limited run. Nothing ever indicated that was their original intent.

I'd actually argue that the success of the Wii made them overconfident. They seemed to think they could get most everyone who bought a Wii to buy a Wii U. Which just didn't happen.

Now, they seem to be at an odd position. If they expect too many sales for the Switch, they'll have stock they can't move. If they underestimate sales, then they're repeating the same problem they had with Amiibos and the NES Classic, and end up looking like they are creating artificial demand. It's sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't.

What happens here is anyone's guess. I don't know if the Switch will be a huge success (it's way too early to tell and even the Wii U sold well early on) or a Virtual Boy failure. I'd say it can go either way and I won't be surprised on either. I'm personally expecting it to sell decently, but not be a huge success or a huge failure. 50 million units seems like a possibility to me.

They got too big for their britches with the Wii U and slacked, that dent in their history much like the virtual boy will keep them grounded for a while. It sure as hell hurt their confidence, somehow they are still a bit overconfident if you ask me.

Slow week eh? These always happen on one of two occasions. 1) After Nintendo makes some major announcements at a Direct (like last week) or 2) when a major Nintendo title is about to come out. Why are so many people who are virulently anti-Nintendo so obsessed with them?

Aiddon:
Slow week eh? These always happen on one of two occasions. 1) After Nintendo makes some major announcements at a Direct (like last week) or 2) when a major Nintendo title is about to come out. Why are so many people who are virulently anti-Nintendo so obsessed with them?

I'm just trying to understand their business decisions. Besides, if I were anti Nintendo I wouldn't be playing Ocarina of Time 3D (master quest) right now would I? :-)

Aiddon:

i know right.

if they don't care about nintendo at all why do they spend so much time shitting on them at every possible chance?

I'm ready to believe the Mini NES was meant to be a limited-run novelty. They've done it before, I'm sure they'll do it again. No, I don't think an overpriced ROM emulator was going to eclipse Switch sales. The Wii U might've, seeing as how it's 1) cheaper and 2) can play the one game available on the Switch, and then some. But then they already discontinued that.

Maybe they're just weird.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here