War Thunder
30.8% (4)
30.8% (4)
World of Tanks
38.5% (5)
38.5% (5)
Want to vote? Register now or Sign Up with Facebook
Poll: Tank combat games.

So I was thinking of getting into World of Tanks again (used to play it a looong time ago), but I've also been considering a couple of similar games: War Thunder & Armored Warfare

Anyone out there who has experience with several of these that would recommend one over the others? A 4th option I haven't heard of?

Combat.

*mic drop*

American Fox:
Combat.

*mic drop*

+100 edgy points ! :D

i like armored warfare but be aware that pvp is basically non existent on the NA server, its now 5 player PVE matches for the most part

None of the above, honestly.

Infinite Tanks provides very similar gameplay to WoT and AW, but without the fucking coward Self-Propelled Guns shitting up the experience. I mean, yeah, every tank can take a Mortar as a secondary weapon; but compared to WoT and AW arties, their ranges are pitifully short, and damage is really weak. Plus they have a reload time that makes the WoT BatChat 155 auto-loader look quick.

American Tanker:
None of the above, honestly.

Infinite Tanks provides very similar gameplay to WoT and AW, but without the fucking coward Self-Propelled Guns shitting up the experience. I mean, yeah, every tank can take a Mortar as a secondary weapon; but compared to WoT and AW arties, their ranges are pitifully short, and damage is really weak. Plus they have a reload time that makes the WoT BatChat 155 auto-loader look quick.

awww did a spg murder your kitten :P

i hadnt heard of infinite tanks ill have to check it out

pookie101:
awww did a spg murder your kitten

Look, I was a Medium Tank player back in my WoT days, and fucking arty could still nuke me from orbit even if I was driving at full speed and swerving like I was drunk off my ass. It was bullshit, and its drivers were fucking cowards that couldn't fight at the front if their lives depended on it.

AW arty was only less bullshit because it wasn't quite as damaging, but it still had a bullshit overhead camera.

American Tanker:

pookie101:
awww did a spg murder your kitten

Look, I was a Medium Tank player back in my WoT days, and fucking arty could still nuke me from orbit even if I was driving at full speed and swerving like I was drunk off my ass. It was bullshit, and its drivers were fucking cowards that couldn't fight at the front if their lives depended on it.

AW arty was only less bullshit because it wasn't quite as damaging, but it still had a bullshit overhead camera.

yeah it could be annoying now and then but never really got to me.. and trying to hit a fast moving tank with arty.. especially with shell flight time was an art form.. that i never managed to master personally

I prefer World of Tanks out of the three. It's tech tree system is less obtuse about what tiers of battles you're in, they've nerfed and significantly reworked artillery multiple times, though I didn't have a problem with it to begin with, (like good anything else, good arty players are a pain in the neck, but bad arty players are mostly unnoticeable), and combat is less RNG dependent.

So, just make sure to catch up on recent mechanics and meta changes and hang out at tier 5 for a bit to get your bearings and it'll be great.

I don't play it like I used to but I always liked the vehicles in World of Tanks. Sister title World of Warships has my attention these days though...

Redlin5:
I don't play it like I used to but I always liked the vehicles in World of Tanks. Sister title World of Warships has my attention these days though...

id forgottwn about world of warships.. its been a while since i played it. you might remember me as the person who said oops alot after launching lots of torpedos in your direction

pookie101:
you might remember me as the person who said oops alot after launching lots of torpedos in your direction

You just described 30% of the playerbase.

Redlin5:

pookie101:
you might remember me as the person who said oops alot after launching lots of torpedos in your direction

You just described 30% of the playerbase.

what can i say.. we are legion :D

altnameJag:
and combat is less RNG dependent.

I would like to call complete horse shit. If it weren't more RNG dependant I would probably be doing a hell of a lot better than I have been here recently. Shit, if I had a nickel for every time I've had a shot wildly miss, bounce when it shouldn't have, or low roll on damage just enough so the other guy lived over just the last week I'd probably have a few hundred bucks right now. And that's not even going into all the other bullshit I've had to endure for months now.

Arma 3 is adding a Tanks Overhaul at the end of the year if you are into that.

Fijiman:
I would like to call complete horse shit. If it weren't more RNG dependant I would probably be doing a hell of a lot better than I have been here recently. Shit, if I had a nickel for every time I've had a shot wildly miss, bounce when it shouldn't have, or low roll on damage just enough so the other guy lived over just the last week I'd probably have a few hundred bucks right now. And that's not even going into all the other bullshit I've had to endure for months now.

Ah, RNG, the OTHER big reason I prefer Infinite Tanks. Rarely I've seen a shot deal slightly more or less damage; but the game calculates things to two decimal points, so a gun's damage might be 100.25 or something like, and I guess the game keeps track of the decimal amounts.

So it's actually not RNG, it's just the game looking like it's giving you an extra point of damage here or there because it keeps track of the decimal values.

Blaster master zero is the tank game for me .. probably not what was searched here though.

Armored Warfare on the EU server, the American one is largely dead. Maybe I've just had my fill of WW2 but then again I volunteer at a military museum so life may just be doing it. That said they limit SPGs to PVE mode so you're never killed by something you can't fire back at.

Fijiman:

altnameJag:
and combat is less RNG dependent.

When compared to Warthunder's invisible accuracy circle and propensity for shots to do either no damage or all the damage with nothing in between, yeah, less RNG dependent. I'd rather play a game where bullets did a range of damage and I can see the potential accuracy of my shot than play rocket tag where some of the rockets are duds.

Add that to their matchmaking system and their tech tree system not matching up to what rank of matches you're going to be put in and I'd recommend WoT.

Your mileage may vary.

Saulkar:

early 2018 at this stage, and im looking forward to it

pookie101:

Saulkar:

early 2018 at this stage, and im looking forward to it

Hopefully it will be a little bit more substantiative than the Jets DLC which, while adding some awesome new mechanics, did little to update the actual flight model. Leaving some real life maneuvers still impossible according to some more experienced users. Being able to maneuver my plane after it has stalled is still something I want to be able to do.

I forget which game it was (it ran on Windows 98) where you could fly like 20 military jets and one of my favourite maneuvers was to go into a graveyard spiral and pull out at the last moment. It simulated momentum, aerodynamics, and supermaneuverability very well for an early 2000 game.

Ultimately I want to be able to offroad a tank without the slightest little bump that touches the belly robbing me of all momentum or obstacles getting caught up in the wheels and beaching me. I know it is asking for a lot but I one day hope to be able to do this in the game:

You can technically achieve it but you bottom out instantly, lose all momentum, and there is no recoil release.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here