good games no one knows of!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

ever heard of Flat-Out? Funnest racing game i've EVER played!

bouncymike999:
im gonna have to say painkiller maybe people have heard of it but next to halo 3 it is a speck of dust in publicity

You know that the same game designers have made a game called Necrovision. I recommend it if you like Painkiller.
http://www.necrovision-game.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merchant_Prince_II

holistic design's merchant prince was excellent. insanely replayable.

but holistic's best work (in scope, maybe not so much in execution) was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emperor_of_the_Fading_Suns
http://www.kborek.cz/forum/phpBB2/

emperor of the fading suns: which is still one of my favorite games to play. the problems with the AI were (to a great extent) modded out by fans over the years. if you can ever find a copy, and you like turn based war / politics / strategy / science games, check it out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ascendancy_(computer_game)

ascendancy was better than master of orion once they actually put an AI into the game. ;) by the time they did, it was already in bargain bins and had been basically trashed by reviewers the world over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_Point:_Road_to_Hell

xenus / boiling point: road to hell, was another post-patch keeper. when it was released it barely ran. but under the bugs was an open-world FPS with very interesting (and pretty complex) role-playing elements. imagine stalker but in a chauvinist, 80's action-movie version of a south american banana republic.

you roam around doing missions for the military, the junta, the indians, the narco-thugs, etc, all while unraveling one of the most hilariously over-the top plots i've ever come across this side of a duke nukem game. the graphics were amazing for what they attempted to do (open map, no loading screens, free movement from the start). after the patches (it REALLY needed them) it played really well. i think atari still has the rights to it in north america.

This-is-Hip-Hop:
I would have to say Harvest Moon, the one on the Game Boy Advance, I think it was A Beautiful Life, the game play was incredibly immersive, I was caring about these girls, and even with the repetitve dialouge, I found myself addicted to the game.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

Aw, I played that. That was great. Unfortunately, I only rented it, so I didn't get too far..

Brown Cap:
Until Far Cry 2, nobody really knew about the original - whcich is an absolute masterpiece. I wish it was made into a movie

Oh man. Uwe Boll is going to answer your prayers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quYwvz7emJw

I agree that it is a fun game, and quite beautiful as well.

Brown Cap:
Until Far Cry 2, nobody really knew about the original - whcich is an absolute masterpiece. I wish it was made into a movie

i love far cry but i'd have trouble saying no one knew about it. it sold a little under a million copies on the PC in just three months or something. then had two spin-offs on consoles (for xbox and something else?)

i do love that game, tho.

Conquest:Frontier Wars. An older (2001) PC RTS game by Ubisoft. It had a long story, was well written, had three races (four separate factions in the story due to a civil war), great multiplayer/skirmish mode, and looked amazing even by todays standards. The biggest problem was that there was a constricting limit on how many units you could have at once. Otherwise, definitely worth playing if you ever come across it.

mount and blade

Arcade_Fire:
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

From the gamecube days. Fuuuuun times.

I saw that second hand recently; is it worth getting?

Your Mother.

Battlezone Series. Awesome. Really buggy if unpatched, but still frikking awesome.

pantsoffdanceoff:
Halo 3, my goodness if that game got any publicity it would have shined... oh well.

wow dude. if halo 3 didn't get enough publicity then i guess the final fantasy series didn't get enough either.

Clashero:
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey. Best storyline in any game, ever.

really want to play that =( but i cant cus i have a laptop lol

You have to burn the rope.

Ok on a more serious note I would say Peggle (any of them realy they are all the same). I started playing at 10am and when I next looked at the clock it was 4pm. Talk about addictive.

I played the Black Hawk Down game for the PS2 by Novalogic. Generally everyone who plays it will pass it along for shit, but the online component was so simple and fun to play. Until Far Cry 2's online, I thought it would be a shining beacon in an unexplored sea, but unfortunately, most of the original community has left the game, so it's hardly worth recommending.

*Plays Revile*

More recently, Valkyria Chronicles. Superb game, just a shame Sega messed up with the marketing (or lack of) for it.

Populous: The Beginning.

There are tons of great/fantastic indie games around that got next to no publicity.

Iji. Teeworlds. Wesnoth. Dofus Arena. The Spirit Engine 2. Nethergate. Aquaria. Noitu Love 2. Knytt. Mount & Blade. Exit Fate. Gravity Bone.

Even cave story...

And ther I only mentioned the games I played (and found really good).

Really, currently the attention is focused way too much on those big titles, while there are tons of innovative, fun games that never get mentioned.

PS: oh and, "robot dinosaurs that shoot beams when they roar." (I rather play a game that doesn't make sense then a game filled with clichés about human vs aliens)

This-is-Hip-Hop:
I would have to say Harvest Moon, the one on the Game Boy Advance, I think it was A Beautiful Life, the game play was incredibly immersive, I was caring about these girls, and even with the repetitve dialouge, I found myself addicted to the game.

-This-is-Hip-Hop

People don't know about Harvest Moon? They must be educated! Other than that, Chibi Robo, as I usually say in these threads it's amazing, so much fun and soooo cute. Also Steambot Chronicles.

Crazzee:
And Shadow Warrior. A spiritual sequel to Duke Nukem 3D. You can find it on most Abandonware sites, I'm sure.

It wasn't really a sequel. It was just a game made by the same people based off a slightly modified Build engine. I wasn't a big fan of the game. The multiplayer was ok, but the level design was convoluted in many places (which seemed to be a common thing in 3D Realms games.) Those sticky bombs were tons of fun though. I'm surprised other FPSes haven't used them more often, or at least that sort of mechanic.

sorry user name taken.:

Clashero:

How old is the laptop? The game wasn't that hardware intensive. Unless you have a mid-range laptop from before 2004, it should be able to run. Granted, it may not be the most beautiful looking game based on your specs, but I'm pretty sure you can at least get a demo and make sure it runs.

yourbeliefs:

Crazzee:
And Shadow Warrior. A spiritual sequel to Duke Nukem 3D. You can find it on most Abandonware sites, I'm sure.

It wasn't really a sequel. It was just a game made by the same people based off a slightly modified Build engine. I wasn't a big fan of the game. The multiplayer was ok, but the level design was convoluted in many places (which seemed to be a common thing in 3D Realms games.) Those sticky bombs were tons of fun though. I'm surprised other FPSes haven't used them more often, or at least that sort of mechanic.

SPIRITUAL sequel. As in, if they would have changed the character to Duke, and modified the enemies/story so that there were babes and aliens, they could have called it a sequel.

yourbeliefs:

sorry user name taken.:

Clashero:

How old is the laptop? The game wasn't that hardware intensive. Unless you have a mid-range laptop from before 2004, it should be able to run. Granted, it may not be the most beautiful looking game based on your specs, but I'm pretty sure you can at least get a demo and make sure it runs.

that and the fact i have vista =/ i got this laptop in 2008 lol

Hmmmm Monster Hunter, It went offline a while back.
Nobody really knew of it and it was pretty unpopular in North America.

Tecmo's Deception. Nothing like setting traps and watching people just get all kinds of fucked up by them. If only they would do a current remake...

dr_scitt:
More recently, Valkyria Chronicles. Superb game, just a shame Sega messed up with the marketing (or lack of) for it.

Agreed. It seems like nobody outside of Japan knows about it; utterly tragic considering how it turned the turn-based strategy genre on its ear.

Lukeje:

Arcade_Fire:
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System.

From the gamecube days. Fuuuuun times.

I saw that second hand recently; is it worth getting?

It was fun for what it was - a nice, varied Third person shooter for the gamecube that didn't suck.

Dunno how it'll stack up against todays games, but it was great at the time.

legend of legia for the playstation 1

if you get the chance to get your hands on this game, i suggest you get it as long as its not at an outrageous price, i loved it, you might like it, even in its age, i would still play it today if i could get a copy.

hopefully a game as interesting as it pops up in my time, would be awesome...

galletea:
Other than that, Chibi Robo, as I usually say in these threads it's amazing, so much fun and soooo cute.

...though short, and incredibly expensive second hand.

Baten Kaitos and Baten Kaitos Origins for the original Gamecube.

I've only ever met two people that's ever heard of them in my entire life.

i know im going to be alone on this but peter pan for the sega genesis was awesome, that game was to fun

The Original Deus Ex, although quite popular with the gaming intelligentsia (i.e. the Escapist), is not well known at all to the average gamer. I still tell people that "it's the best game you're never played." I still think it's the most intelligent game I've ever played.

what?? far cry is very well known. except you needed a computer that can rise up to the moon to play it so it got forgotten.

but armed and dangerous has it's crowd here is see so that does not really count for this topic.

i really loved Drakan:order of the flame.
i do not know if it is known but only know me and a friend of mine who played it. it looked absolutely stunning for its time and had a lot of depth to it.

Anyone played Aquaria?
A beautiful, atmospheric, challenging and overall excellent game.
And it's cheap too.

Lukeje:

galletea:
Other than that, Chibi Robo, as I usually say in these threads it's amazing, so much fun and soooo cute.

...though short, and incredibly expensive second hand.

It's worth it. Although it is rather expensive, since it's rare I guess, like Ico used to be before the re-release.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked