Crispy Gamer Calls Out Resident Evil 5's Racism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

I think there is definitely an argument that some of the imagery is loaded. But I don't sense any malice from the developers. So racism? No.

Assassinator:

harhol:
so you guys see absolutely nothing wrong with a white American guy & his buddies going into an African village (where everyone is "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero? this is risky ground already, without even going into the way that africans are portrayed in the game (apparently appealing to long-forgotten stereotypes). to completely dismiss any suggestion of racism is just silly.

No, for a simple reason: skin color DOES. NOT. MATTER.

Note, you haven't played the game. It's not an "American and his buddies". In fact, make it clear that they don't like him because he's American. It's an American special op and his partner - an African woman! On top of it, when they call in for back up the main guys who show up are usually of various ethnicities. Again, people are trying to make some drama out of this game. Everyone just needs to CTFO and enjoy! There is nothing racist about it. Now put down the QQ factory and kill some damn wormies, soldier!

Assassinator:

harhol:
so you guys see absolutely nothing wrong with a white American guy & his buddies going into an African village (where everyone is "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero? this is risky ground already, without even going into the way that africans are portrayed in the game (apparently appealing to long-forgotten stereotypes). to completely dismiss any suggestion of racism is just silly.

in an ideal world, yes.

in a post-colonial, post-slavery, post-civil rights world, no.

you have to approach everything in context.

When it comes to the Zombie Apocalypse there are only two groups. Zombies and humans. Sure RE 4&5 does not have the "traditional" zombie but they are still mind controlled, ruthless killers who will stop at nothing from spreading the disease.

Besides if your main concern about racism is having a video game character kill a bunch of other video game characters because of race I think the dreams of MLK jr. is coming true. You don't have to worry about full-blown racism in real life. The good guys are winning on this and let me ask you this final question.

If you have no problem with sex, violence, drugs, and other immoral concepts being put in video games...why do you get upset about the subject of racism in a video game?

harhol:

Nope not really, but the japs are well known xenophobes (oops I just made a generalised racist remark myself)

and RE5 isn't as racist as RE4, its why RE4 is the more awesome game, for the hilarious racism and for Leon "white as the driven snow" Kennedy killing all those pitch fork wielding Spanish "peasants"/farmers.

I actually lived in those sort of rural areas, and its a pretty spot on view if you was to sit on the hillside and look from afar, without interacting with the locals.

Does that make me racist?. No. Does it make a game racism?, NO ITS FUCKING GAME. games are fucking shit at portraying the source material, even down to hairstyle. They are inherently shit at just about everything they do.

Doesn't RE5 take place in Africa? If so then it certainly isn't racist to have the majority or the zombies be african.

harhol:

You are damn right I don't see any problem with it. If Chris and his buddies were black it would be OK according to the arguement. If they use the N word or one of the white folks says something like "who cares if they are infected, they are black so kill'em all and let God sort them out" then I would be the first one calling for a boycott. Or if there is a KKK robe for an unlockable costume.

Is it just me or does everyone come in here not reading the posts and stating the same fucking things over and over and over?

squid5580:
If they use the N word or one of the white folks says something like "who cares if they are infected, they are black so kill'em all and let God sort them out" then I would be the first one calling for a boycott. Or if there is a KKK robe for an unlockable costume.

not all racism is blatantly obvious. in this case it's all about parallels. white hero vs. black "savages" is just too imperialist for my tastes.

Africa! Africa! as if Africa is one country.
Annoys me all the frickin time

I thought RE5 was a modern game in Modern times
so how the heck do those warriors fit in???!!

Racist i dunno, stupid yeh!

CrispyGamer reviewer:
As a big white dude, I was uncomfortable with the subhuman portrayals of black people in Resident Evil 5.

There was a reason they are depicted as subhuman... And that reason happens to be the point of the game entirely. They have been mutated mentally and whatnot. It's not their factual depiction of black people at all...

CrispyGamer reviewer:
The African zombies, in contrast, look underfed and hollow-eyed. Their lips are puffed and cracked; their bloodshot eyes practically bug out from their skulls.

Of course they do, they're infected with a mind mutating virus. What do you want them to look like, Michelle Obama?! (In context he was acting like this depiction of them was insulting, yet when it was the white people mutated last time, all was fine)

CrispyGamer reviewer:
The physical contrast between the game's heroes and villains -- light skin versus dark skin

So let me get this straight. He's just rambled on about how the infected are all cracked and bloodshot, and now he says the biggest physical contrast is the skin colour? Hypocrite. Of course there will be contrast between hero and villain. Look at Super Mario, his enemy is a giant lizard.

CrispyGamer reviewer:
Things get even more troubling once you encounter zombie natives wearing bone necklaces and grass skirts and, quite literally, throwing spears.

Actually throwing spears you say? Africans are a proud people, who respect their heritage. They still do the whole tribal thing, out of respect for their past. And the Zulu's etc. still live like that. Like the Aborigines, and the Amish people. What's the difference? Just because we adopted science and abandoned everything our ancestors created, doesn't mean they have. If you're living in Africa, tribal people will be there.

CrispyGamer reviewer:
"I'm Chris Redfield and I'm a dickhead."

He used this as a picture caption for Chris. This is where I stopped reading...

harhol - you are not reading what anyone is saying. It's not white against black! The main character has a partner (right next to him) who is a black woman. He is killing all races... to the point of it being a bit silly. I killed more hispanic and white people than I did black. Sure, their leaders are black but come ON!! It's Africa!!!

NEWSFLASH: There are black people in Africa

so you guys see absolutely nothing wrong with a white American guy & his buddies going into an African village (where everyone is "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero?

No, not if the infection controls their mind. For the love of god context

EDIT: failed comment

ColdStorage:

harhol:

Nope not really, but the japs are well known xenophobes (oops I just made a generalised racist remark myself)

and RE5 isn't as racist as RE4, its why RE4 is the more awesome game, for the hilarious racism and for Leon "white as the driven snow" Kennedy killing all those pitch fork wielding Spanish "peasants"/farmers.

I actually lived in those sort of rural areas, and its a pretty spot on view if you was to sit on the hillside and look from afar, without interacting with the locals.

Does that make me racist?. No. Does it make a game racism?, NO ITS FUCKING GAME. games are fucking shit at portraying the source material, even down to hairstyle. They are inherently shit at just about everything they do.

It's not intentionally racist. I suspect there was some level of racism in RE4 (which coldstorage seems to confirm). Having a setting in Africa with the way this game was made (the spear chuckers do not count) guaranteed there would be racist moments. Why? Because as someone who once practiced bushido and studied Japan as closely as I could without going there I can tell you they are on of the most naturally racist cultures on the planet. It's nothing like it used to be and we could just be glad RE5 wasn't worse i.e. made by skinheads or another intentionally racist group. And no ColdStorage your remark was not generalized racism. Not overly well put but the Japanese have a xenophobic edge to their traditional culture, more so than many others.

Well,

You all can read a review of RE5 from some of my friends here (Actual Black people)

http://www.somekillgiants.com/

I don't find it that racist.

They are not killing some kind of "black savages", they are killing fucking zombies. Zombies are not people. And it's completely true that SOME places in Africa are not quite developed.

mike1921:

so you guys see absolutely nothing wrong with a white American guy & his buddies going into an African village (where everyone is "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero?

mike1921:

its funny that the bad guy in RE5 and just about any RE is Albert Whesker, the whitest white guy on earth, his martial arts style is a cross between Savate and Capeoira, which is French and Brazilian, he's blonde... he wears Ray Bans which is American and made famous by Top gun the most Western film in existence, he has an eighty's hair cute reminiscent of western boy bands. And chances are his suit is made by Hugo Boss, which is a new york based fashion company.

lets recap, the bad guy in RE is
1. called Albert (possibly states his name is Cecil (with a lisp) in gay bars)
2 Has blonde hair
3 looks like a character from Top Gun, the gayest film in existence
4 Does martial arts based from two western countries, gay countries may I add, France and Brazil

So yes RE5 is racist, its racist against gay western poofs, I for one am appalled at its portayal of big gay western boy band members.

edit; I had a point to make but starting giggling to myself about how gay Whesker looks, then kinda ran with my stupidity, I can't remember my original arguement though.

harhol:

Assassinator:

harhol:

in an ideal world, yes.

in a post-colonial, post-slavery, post-civil rights world, no.

you have to approach everything in context.

No not really, I'de say: let it go. Fact: skin color does not matter, it's that simple. Our forefathers may have been idiots, but (hopefully) we're not. History is history, let's grow up. This kind of stuff keeps actual racism alive, instead of growing out of it. Let's stop splitting people up like that, and let's just treat black people the same.

harhol:

THEY. ARE. ZOMBIES.

They aren't "infeceted" they're infected. Leon and Claire weren't killing innocent people in Resident Evil 2, Leon wasn't killing innocent people in Resident Evil 4... he was killing basically what equated to a zombie. If an outbreak took place in Africa... they'd go investigate Africa. If it was in an African village.. it would take place in an AFRICAN VILLAGE. How in the name of god do some of you people not get that? They could choose ANYWHERE in the world to place this game and find a reason for it, and it was nice to see something finally happen that I didn't see coming... a setting that I didn't exactly think I would ever see in a Resident Evil game.

If you push, they will shove. That's the law aroud this things and there is nothing you can do about it. For me I was under the impertion that,now a day all humans are equal and that no one gets special treatment of persicuted for who they are and where they come frome. So I think the the racisum in RE5 is simpily silly since when you thing about I, all the story of RE come from a virus found in africa.

There just going back to there roots.

Yes, how dare they portray black zombies as shambling idiots, they should be explaining string theory on a handy projector screen. (Avoided using the word blackboard there, oops!)

For videogames to avoid racism, blacks, gays, disabled people and all other minorities would have to take turns being the bad guy. If we don't do this, the only other option is to set every game in an area where every person is a white able bodied straight male.

I can't help but feel if they'd just set the game in the jungle in the 1920s spear chucking natives with shrunken heads around their neck would be just fine. It'd be seen as 'detached' enough, or just plain ironic.

Surely all we need to do is get Valve to make the Left 4 Dead sequel with only asian zombies? Case solved, we've balanced things.

RE5 is racist in the same way Fat Princess is offensive to fat people.

It may not be intentional, but it's sort of there.

In Fat Princess, a fat chick is being treated like a flag to gain points. It looks like great deals of fun, but depending on what context you use, it would objectify and make women look like trophies and prizes to be won. Sure, it may not mean to show that off, but it's a little bit there.

Same thing with RE5, it's a guy shooting up a bunch of crazy people to keep himself from dieing. Then you look a bit closer, it looks like a white guy shooting up black guys. It just depends on what context you look at it from.

Anyone who moans and groans "IT'S JUST A VIDEO GAME!" and "WTF IT'S NOT RACIST!" are all missing the point entirely (and I would totally go on a rant about that right now) as are people who say "IT'S RACIST!" and "THIS SHOULD BE BANNED!" (though to be fair, I've never seen someone say that so far).

Personally, I'm glad we're having these debates and news stories about how RE5 is "racist". Every medium has this sort of debate, and I'm glad we're getting this out of the way. RE5 may not be "racist", per se, but it sure ain't treating Africans in a mature and thoughtful way.

Video games have a long way to go to be considered "art", anyone who bitches and moans that other people are being insensitive because they see this game as a white guy shooting black guys are acting childish and expect everyone to understand perfectly what this game is.

Aktrez:
harhol - you are not reading what anyone is saying. It's not white against black! The main character has a partner (right next to him) who is a black woman. He is killing all races... to the point of it being a bit silly. I killed more hispanic and white people than I did black. Sure, their leaders are black but come ON!! It's Africa!!!

my problem is not specifically to do with white vs. black but more to do with the obvious colonial overtones.

[there's a reason most films, books & games steer well clear of stories involving white, first-world heroes shooting up Africans.]

it's difficult to pinpoint the exact nature of the prejudice or "racism"... it's just there. i'm not arguing that it's definitely 100% racist, i simply said that to dismiss any suggestion of racism is silly. it's a genuine debate which needs to be approached seriously.

Gamine:
Well,

You all can read a review of RE5 from some of my friends here (Actual Black people)

http://www.somekillgiants.com/

THANKYOU.

I think white people discussing this is a bit pointless.

Assassinator:
I'd say: let it go. Fact: skin color does not matter, it's that simple. Our forefathers may have been idiots, but (hopefully) we're not. History is history, let's grow up. This kind of stuff keeps actual racism alive, instead of growing out of it. Let's stop splitting people up like that, and let's just treat black people the same.

again, this is fine in an ideal world. but racial inequality still exists & remains a major issue in all countries of mixed ethnicity. to simply "let it go" would be patronising to not just victims of racism but to all ethnic minorities. there's nothing wrong with talking about it. pretending that it isn't there or that it'll go away isn't helpful. skin colour does matter. it might not matter to you, but it does matter.

They could have just gone the route of the 30days of Night film adaptation which featured no indigenous peoples at all! That would of course court the same level of controversey for being racist for not depicting anyone but white people.

You are only recist if your White

Your only sexist if your Male

Bare that in mind if you are about to say anything at the moment and we will have a much quieter time!

apsham:

harhol:

THEY. ARE. ZOMBIES.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphor
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory

SomeBritishDude:
Be warned. Your going to get a lot of hate for this post.

And yes, thoughs images of the african zombies with spears and shields did scream ignorant racism.

Surely then any images, animated or not, that have a depiction of [Insert Ethnic Group Here] with [A Certain Item Concerning Said Ethnic Group In Past Or Present Tense] is offensive.
E.G. A very English looking Gentleman wearing a bowler hat and drinking tea. or A very Mexican looking Gentleman in the same picture as a Sombrero or Poncho.

ColdStorage:

mike1921:

mike1921:

its funny that the bad guy in RE5 and just about any RE is Albert Whesker, the whitest white guy on earth, his martial arts style is a cross between Savate and Capeoira, which is French and Brazilian, he's blonde... he wears Ray Bans which is American and made famous by Top gun the most Western film in existence, he has an eighty's hair cute reminiscent of western boy bands. And chances are his suit is made by Hugo Boss, which is a new york based fashion company.

lets recap, the bad guy in RE is
1. called Albert (possibly states his name is Cecil (with a lisp) in gay bars)
2 Has blonde hair
3 looks like a character from Top Gun, the gayest film in existence
4 Does martial arts based from two western countries, gay countries may I add, France and Brazil

So yes RE5 is racist, its racist against gay western poofs, I for one am appalled at its portayal of big gay western boy band members.

edit; I had a point to make but starting giggling to myself about how gay Whesker looks, then kinda ran with my stupidity, I can't remember my original arguement though.

Brazil's gay? Your original arguement seems to be that RE stereotypes.

harhol:

Assassinator:
I'd say: let it go. Fact: skin color does not matter, it's that simple. Our forefathers may have been idiots, but (hopefully) we're not. History is history, let's grow up. This kind of stuff keeps actual racism alive, instead of growing out of it. Let's stop splitting people up like that, and let's just treat black people the same.

again, this is fine in an ideal world. but racial inequality still exists & remains a major issue in all countries of mixed ethnicity. to simply "let it go" would be patronising to not just victims of racism but to all ethnic minorities. there's nothing wrong with talking about it. pretending that it isn't there or that it'll go away isn't helpful. skin colour does matter. it might not matter to you, but it does matter.

No it's not a major issue. You're exagerating. It's a minor issue that becomes whatever's in between minor and major when people start shouting "racist!!" for no good reason. At least in America. I know nothing of 3rd world country and while I never hear of a lot of it in the UK or Africa I don't really know.

harhol:

Assassinator:

Then racism will stick with us forever. In any case, political correctness won't help, heck it's making it worse. This is a zombie game set in Africa, a lot of black people live in Africa, so a lot of black people will be zombyfied, and zombies need to die, so they're shot. End of story. You're making MUUUUUCH more out of this then it actually is.

Well excuse me OP,
Its not like Black people live in africa or anything..

I honestly cannot see the big deal in this. Looking at the game, I can't deem it racist, and even if you think it is, what's the big deal? Don't play it.

mike1921:
Brazil's gay? Your original arguement seems to be that RE stereotypes.

Thats what I meant! yes it totally does, its racist towards Spaniards, Yanks, everyone.

Thank you, thanks your here, otherwise I might come accross as a stupid online prick that doesn't make sense.

RE6 will probably be set in rural France, where the peasants wave stale baguettes at you, and are a parasite to the rest of Europe, and dont make sense and just like in RE4 are controlled by a short prick with an inferiority complex whose name begins with "S". oh look at that.

edit, like in real life! hur hur!

harhol:

Aktrez:

my problem is not specifically to do with white vs. black but more to do with the obvious colonial overtones.

[there's a reason most films, books & games steer well clear of stories involving white, first-world heroes shooting up Africans.]

it's difficult to pinpoint the exact nature of the prejudice or "racism"... it's just there. i'm not arguing that it's definitely 100% racist, i simply said that to dismiss any suggestion of racism is silly. it's a genuine debate which needs to be approached seriously.

I agree wholeheartedly with you.

Like I said in my original post, RE5 is as racist as you make it out to be, it all depends on the context. If video games are ever to become "art" then debates like racism and sexism should be seriously debated in these games.

It's completely ignorant to completely brush off any slight hint of racism in any game, and saying things like "It's Africa, they have Africans!" is completely missing the point. If this was set in, I don't know, New York or Philadelphia or Chicago instead, would it change anything? Just change the setting, that's all, does it do anything? After all, there are black people in NY/Philly/Chicago, so therefore it's not racist because there are black people there anyway! Hehehe, no.

I'm not saying RE5 is 100% racist, and neither is Harhol. He (or more specifically, we) is just saying that it has racial undertones depending on how you take it in context.

This video compared to this video are both good points. In the second video, just switch out Fat Princess with RE5. I don't like the first one though because of the second one, Moviebob was a complete hypocrite when he made the second one. But they both make good points.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked