Crispy Gamer Calls Out Resident Evil 5's Racism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

squid5580:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

squid5580:

So devs should use kid gloves when telling these stories because of history? That strikes me as racist. Stuff happened. Can't deny it some bad stuff happened to some innocent people way back in the day. I just don't think there is any need to tip toe around something completely unrelated to the history when it involves those specific races.

Neither do I. However, there are degrees of tread in between "tip toe" and "stomp around like a drunken elephant"

Especially when no one seems to have any problems whatsoever when it comes to Germans and WW2 games.

Um, Germany *actually was* our enemy in WW2, and we don't associate modern Germans with Nazi-era Germans unlike the way the racism we find in history towards blacks is still with us.

The only reason it is still with us is because we aren't allowed to let it go. I am not saying to forget what happened and sweep it under the carpet. What I am saying is skin color doesn't matter anymore and the media needs to let this shit go. Come on they went on for months about Barak pre election. Not because of his credentials. Not because he may be good or bad for America. The only thing you heard was OMG HE IS BLACK. Now explain to me how that is fair and equal when it comes to race issues, but RE5 isn't? I applaud Capcom. They are treating the game with equality. The MC goes to Africa because that is the source of the virus. So of course he will find savage black infected people. Who knows what they were doing before he showed up? Doesn't really matter since the story doesn't start before Chris shows up how can Capcom be accused of it's portrayl of normal African people? They are showing African infected people.

You know your full of crap, right? Who are you trying to fool?

SageOfCalm:

squid5580:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

squid5580:

So devs should use kid gloves when telling these stories because of history? That strikes me as racist. Stuff happened. Can't deny it some bad stuff happened to some innocent people way back in the day. I just don't think there is any need to tip toe around something completely unrelated to the history when it involves those specific races.

Neither do I. However, there are degrees of tread in between "tip toe" and "stomp around like a drunken elephant"

Especially when no one seems to have any problems whatsoever when it comes to Germans and WW2 games.

Um, Germany *actually was* our enemy in WW2, and we don't associate modern Germans with Nazi-era Germans unlike the way the racism we find in history towards blacks is still with us.

The only reason it is still with us is because we aren't allowed to let it go. I am not saying to forget what happened and sweep it under the carpet. What I am saying is skin color doesn't matter anymore and the media needs to let this shit go. Come on they went on for months about Barak pre election. Not because of his credentials. Not because he may be good or bad for America. The only thing you heard was OMG HE IS BLACK. Now explain to me how that is fair and equal when it comes to race issues, but RE5 isn't? I applaud Capcom. They are treating the game with equality. The MC goes to Africa because that is the source of the virus. So of course he will find savage black infected people. Who knows what they were doing before he showed up? Doesn't really matter since the story doesn't start before Chris shows up how can Capcom be accused of it's portrayl of normal African people? They are showing African infected people.

You know your full of crap, right? Who are you trying to fool?

Funny but I require a valid arguement to prove that. Saying that with your closed mind makes it nothing more than an uninformed opinion.

This is very simple. Racism is dead as a mainstream phenomena at least in the US. Liberals and such who define themselves by having a battle to fight however, have learned that they can STILL dredge up a lot of contreversy by dropping the word. Let's forget that obviously the mainstream population of the US cares so little about race that we now have a black guy running the country. Nope, let's scream racism anyway to get some attention.

The problem is nobody has the guts to shut these people down for trolling, or intentionally trying to grab some attention through contreversy. Perhaps it will come with time, but right now I'm beginning to think that allegations of this type are very similar to hate speech in their own way. Having little purpose other than to cause chaos and try and incite unrest.

When it comes to Resident Evil 5 itself, I have played it a bit, though I haven't had a lot of time. The game isn't even remotely racist. About the worst you can say about it is that it shows a pretty accurate picture of Africa, without the politically correct lens.

Face it, Africa is basically a wasteland full of impoverished and uneducated people. That is why we spend so much money through things like the Peace Corps. trying to educate the people in the region. Yes, a lot of those people arm themselves with things like spears, simply because such weapons are effective and they don't have anything else. This is why a dude with a couple of crates of guns and a couple of hummers can declare himself a Warlord and take over a section of the countryside. Guys with spears lose to guys with machine guns (I'm being simplistic here intentionally).

We've all seen National Geographic, and heck, it's impossible to miss the stories on the news about the genocides and such in the region, and comments about how the world isn't doing enough, and how countries like the US can be playing Cowboy in Iraq, while all of this stuff is going on, etc... pick your political slant, but the bottom line is that it's reported.

I'm sure we've all seen the "Sally Struthers" type "feed the hungry" movements begging for money to feed starving african children and such.

Now in general, we're aware of all these things, but when people aren't asking for aid, or somehow using the state of the region for political reasons, people are expected to ignore it, focus only on the best/most developed areas and the exceptions.

Hey, maybe the truth isn't as politically correct and antiseptic as you might like, but honestly from what *I'VE* seen on the news this seems like a pretty good portrayal of the region. Tons of pathetic, uneducated, and malnurished people? Well if it was any other way we wouldn't spend so much time sending aid to the region.

To be kind of honest, they do a pretty fair job from what I've seen so far of showing a pretty good selection of the rough areas of Africa. In the towns for example when the infection gets going (I don't want to give too many spoilers which would explain it further) the people your up against are mostly using improvised weapons and tools, pretty much the kinds of things you'd expect a mob to be able to pick up and wield in an enviroment like that.

While it's a bit further than I've personally gotten (due to time) I will ALSO point out that one thing most of these reviews conveinently forget is that as the enviroment changes so do the capabilities of your enemies. The local warlord types are infected also, and you do wind up fighting enemies with guns when it is appropriate to the setting.

I guess what you can say is that the game isn't overly politically correct as it is not working to avoid depicting such things, and only focus on the best/most progressive areas on the region. Not being politically correct is however a far shot from being racist, and I think the contreversy over this game both shows the distinction, and how the politically correct movement is exploited specifically to cause trouble.

As far as the protaganists go, well Chris Redfield is one of the same guys you've been playing since the beginning of the series. He's simply going to a new place. He's now a veteran adventurer type guy, as opposed to the shocked out of his league dude he was in
the first game. Being a guy who is now going out to pick fights with bio-terrors on purpose he's pretty bulked out, and like most fantasy action heroes his build and capabilities are a bit more than could be considered realistic.

When it comes to Sheva, from what I gather having read about the character is that she was born in Africa but was educated and trained in Europe (hence the accent). Being part of an anti-terrorism squad she's got top flight training, and of course being an action hero has the same kind of overblown physique/capabilities as Chris does.

As far as how they appear to the guys they are up against, well highly trained, well educated, special forces guys are exceptional by first world standards. When dealing with a bunch of uneducated, malnurished, guys in Africa who are just trying to scrape by, you expect them to be a bit more capable/effective. When you take malnourished people of the sort aid is requested for on TV, and then shove a parasite down their throat, turning them into a zombiesque horror... well how do you expect them to look?

Well as I explained above (this is an attempt to quote a response), I have similar thoughts.

Generally speaking the USA isn't all that racist as far as nations go. A lot of other nations are more or less mono-ethnic, with very limited minority populations, and those minorities usually don't have anything resembling equal rights overall. I mean for example if you go to Japan, there might be whites or blacks around, but it can take some effort to find one in many places because everyone is Japanese. It isn't like the US where seeing people of a bunch of differant ethnicities is as easy as heading to the mall, and in those places the minorities are more or less outsiders. The point isn't really about there though.

When it comes to the whole White/Black thing in the US, I see most of the hype over Obama ont he subject to be ridiculous to be honest. The ONLY real thing to take away from it is that he could not have been elected without the support of the mainstream. What this means is that mainstream America voted a Black Man into the White House. What this means is that while there might be some racism out there, it is a tiny fringe element, and that racism is dead within the mainstream.

The Spectre of racism is a good way to garner attention and cause trouble though. Largely because it can upset the majority of people. Alleging someone is a racist is also a good way to destroy them, or attach a shadow over them in public (whether it's true or not, and by the numbers chances are it's not).

The problem of course being that fighting a war is very easy. Having an enemy to blame for your problems and focus your energies against is something that a lot of people without one wish that they had. It's one thing to go out there and buck the system, fight the man, etc.. especially towards the end of a successful conflict where it becomes relatively safe (but still appropriate). But then comes to the time when your done fighting and have to live in the peace, and well... people want the old glory. I don't articulate it well, but I think when people yell "racism" it's an attempt to get attention, and try and validate their existance even if falsely. If you see the civil liberties movement as a war, a lot of the "soldiers" are having trouble adjusting back to civilian living after such a long time.

While this is another big, long post, I'll also ask fairly: how do you expect Rural africa to be portrayed? Forgetting the whole "infection" aspect, this isn't a well-to-do or touristy area where people go to sign on for Safari tourism packages. You sit down and watch the news, stuff from the Peace Corps., or the various beg-a-thon commercials asking you to "adopt" children and help swing the expense of food and education... and well, this seems pretty bloody accurate.

Basically to say that this game is somehow racist or wrong, means that you ultimatly have to say that all of the people collecting money and supplies for them, the activities of the peace corps, Red Cross, etc... are all wrong and full of liars. I mean heck, if Africa is full of well educated, well fed, people who are living or or less like we do around here (other than the color of their skin) why the holy heck are we investing so much tax money, as well as personal donations in the area?

You don't like how it is down there, fine. Then support the efforts to change things. A lot of people do. I've donated a bit of change once in a while myself.

>>>----Therumancer--->

squid5580:

The only reason it is still with us is because we aren't allowed to let it go. I am not saying to forget what happened and sweep it under the carpet. What I am saying is skin color doesn't matter anymore and the media needs to let this shit go.

Come on they went on for months about Barak pre election. Not because he may be good or bad for America. The only thing you heard was OMG HE IS BLACK.

I don't even think I need to reply to make my point here.

I don't see the racism in RE5, I mean, cliche zombie scenarios don't have the zombies change color. Well, scratch that i guess they do turn green. But that's beside the point, in RE5 that doesn't happen. I mean, you didn't hear racism when the white guy transformed into a bloodsucking Caucasian with formal white people clothes (lol) but as soon as the black person with the spears and hide shields from Africa (which is actually what they use in Africa) comes out, everybody PMS's. Personally, I kind of think that most black people don't care. Its really the other races and the group of never ending period association of clueless mothers (NEPACM)that freak out about this kind of stuff. Its rather ironic.

Sorry if your African American and took offense too that. That is pretty much the definition of ironic.

And, I kind of like the new group name I made, feel free too use it if it applies too your mother and/or you.

Dr Spaceman:
So far, most of the reviews I've seen for RE5 have been largely positive, and mostly fail to mention the racism allegations that surfaced when the game was announced.

The Crispy Gamer review, however, is almost exclusively about the racist undertones present in the game: http://www.crispygamer.com/gamereviews/2009-03-12/resident-evil-5-xbox-360.aspx

Sure, the reviewer doesn't think the game is much of a leap past RE4, but the large portion of his problems stem from the perceived racism. Having not played the game and seen only a few videos, I can see where he's coming from (I definitely saw infected Africans with spears and spiked shields) but I wonder if those of you who've played the game were as appalled as this reviewer was.

Honestly, those spear-chucking Africans I saw in the Escapist's own review supplement seemed to be something that would even make Joseph Conrad blush. The Crispy reviewer seems to think this comes out of the global cultural ignorance of Japanese game developers. So, what is this game? A genuine step back from Heart of Darkness, a "teachable moment" for the Japanese game companies, or an overblown controversy?

[Please Note: I am only asking questions. I have not played this game, and only have a brief impression based on videos I've seen online. I'm not wearing my crucifixion pants today, so go somewhere else if you intend to flame.]

but this "crispy gamer" guy was ok with killing Spanish peasants
HES A RACIST AGAINST THE SPANISH! SHUN HIM FROM SOCIETY! TAR AND FEATHER HIM! BEAT HIM AND SEND HIM TO JAIL!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!

my argument is just as valid as his

Cheeze_Pavilion:

squid5580:

The only reason it is still with us is because we aren't allowed to let it go. I am not saying to forget what happened and sweep it under the carpet. What I am saying is skin color doesn't matter anymore and the media needs to let this shit go.

Come on they went on for months about Barak pre election. Not because he may be good or bad for America. The only thing you heard was OMG HE IS BLACK.

I don't even think I need to reply to make my point here.

yea, cause the guy is spot on

Cheeze_Pavilion:

SuperMse:
The only racist things I can see are:

1) Barely dressed, spear wielding, grass skirt wearing, face painted African zombies? There may be ONE person like that left in Africa. Even most of the tribes who still live like tribes have some form of modern clothing on them.

Yeah, it's about as 'authentic' as setting RE6 in Ireland and having a fuckin' zombie leprechaun throw potatoes at you.

Why? do the zombies in this game smoke blunts and drive around Cadillac Escalades while eating fried chicken and corn bread while extending random fingers and slapping hookers around?
No? They don't? Well...whats the racism? How is this any worse than killing the Spanish peasants? Why would the Irish zombies do all of that stuff you said then?
I think we found the real racist here
--------------------------------------------------------------
Jesus, shake down the Japanese developers then. Go for it, Obama, Jessie Jackson, and Al Sharpton fly over to Japan and bring the UCLA with you so you can all talk it out.
And have an Oprah's Book Club Discussion to sum it all up. Sell the books and keep the UCLA running but to blame racism in this country is ludicrous. Its not any worse than RE4

To say RE5 isn't racist is to say that every town, and or village in Africa has an even number of people from every creed and nation. You also kill a guy a really annoying guy from America. How can it be racist if you have two Americans killing each other?

God forbid they ever set a game in any major metropolitan city....statistics are racist. If I drive downtown...and let's say everyone was zombified....I'd see a bunch of white zombies around the court building and black zombies everywhere else.

Oh, and way to go to all the people that say it's racist to make starving, AIDs-infected people, who live lives of desperation and walk an uphill path through life to reach a plateau of poverty look like starving, AIDs-infected people, who live lives of desperation and walk an uphill path through life to reach a plateau of poverty.

You know, I'm just going to sit back and wait for Capcom to make the obvious right choice: Produce a Resident Evil game, featuring a lesbian wheelchair-bound black woman who just had an abortion because it's her choice to do so and wrote a book about it that led to a sucessful TV talk show who shoots white zombie men who slather their victims with mayonaise before they eat them, line dance while not busy, and complain to their zombie psychologist about having small penises and too much money.

JWAN:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

SuperMse:

1) Barely dressed, spear wielding, grass skirt wearing, face painted African zombies? There may be ONE person like that left in Africa. Even most of the tribes who still live like tribes have some form of modern clothing on them.

Yeah, it's about as 'authentic' as setting RE6 in Ireland and having a fuckin' zombie leprechaun throw potatoes at you.

Why? do the zombies in this game smoke blunts and drive around Cadillac Escalades while eating fried chicken and corn bread while extending random fingers and slapping hookers around?
No? They don't? Well...whats the racism?

I'm pretty sure there was racist iconography in the world before the first Cadillac rolled off the line...

In other words, before there was KFC, there were stereotypes about black people. One of the most enduring ones is that they are mindless, bloodthirsty hordes.

How is this any worse than killing the Spanish peasants?

There's a bit more of a history of portraying blacks as mindless zombie-like hordes than there is of portraying Spanish peasants as such.

I mean, if there was a game where Spanish peasants did things like "smoke blunts and drive around Cadillac Escalades while eating fried chicken and corn bread while extending random fingers and slapping hookers around" and then in the sequel black people were doing that, you'd see the issue, right?

I'm not even saying RE5 is racist. However, to act as if there's no line that it might have crossed--even if you don't think it did--is ridiculous.

JWAN:

Jesus, shake down the Japanese developers then. Go for it, Obama, Jessie Jackson, and Al Sharpton fly over to Japan and bring the UCLA with you so you can all talk it out.
And have an Oprah's Book Club Discussion to sum it all up. Sell the books and keep the UCLA running but to blame racism in this country is ludicrous. Its not any worse than RE4

Wait, the UCLA?

I don't see any racism in the game. The game takes place in Africa so what? This always happens when a movie or game comes out that takes place in a different country.

Cheeze_Pavilion:

In other words, before there was KFC, there were stereotypes about black people. One of the most enduring ones is that they are mindless, bloodthirsty hordes.

Wait...where's this coming from? I've never heard of mindless, bloodthirsty hordes of black people.

I've seen more hordes of white people with torches and pitchforks than I've ever even seen black people in my whole life.

But we all agree that Spaniards actually are dirty, greasy, flesh consuming monsters right?

Cheeze_Pavilion:

JWAN:

Wait, the UCLA?

And the ACLU

Cheeze_Pavilion:

JWAN:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

SuperMse:

No? They don't? Well...whats the racism?

I'm pretty sure there was racist iconography in the world before the first Cadillac rolled off the line...

How is this any worse than killing the Spanish peasants?

There's a bit more of a history of portraying blacks as mindless zombie-like hordes than there is of portraying Spanish peasants as such.

I mean, if there was a game where Spanish peasants did things like "smoke blunts and drive around Cadillac Escalades while eating fried chicken and corn bread while extending random fingers and slapping hookers around" and then in the sequel black people were doing that, you'd see the issue, right?

I'm not even saying RE5 is racist. However, to act as if there's no line that it might have crossed--even if you don't think it did--is ridiculous.

I don't think the issue exists I think its fabricated. When were black people considered bloodthirsty zombies? And I had no idea Irish people were always considered potato throwing leprechauns.
Look, if the Spanish can be zombies, why cant the black people? its not fair that we can kill of the Spanish zombies but not the black ones. The black people have an equal right to be zombies just like every other race.

here is where I stand..

Study Anthropology.. preferably cultural, and social

take a field study to various parts of Africa

note what you see.

Now when I WAS in Africa during Uni I stopped in many many small villages " usually because the bus/car we were crammed into broke constantly"

when I compare that to what I see in RE...there is a very very realistic aspect to it.. sure it may be a hyper-reality realized version but it's a fucking game, they have to do that or it would be a pretty limited game..

one has to remember how poor the nations are, most villages pretty much on level to a scrap yard as far as building material...they use what they can get...( though its largely due to alot of problems with governments not the individual) and there are many many tribes who by choice remain nomadic, or keep to traditions thousands of years old and pretty much avoid the modern world when they can...

And on the same note, in the " modern" villages, many individuals do have relics of their tribal past... it's like a Scottish person in a large city still collecting basket hilts, or claymores....or someone in japan who only makes a katana the traditional way, or collects them as items of importance... a decedent of a zulu living in a village can and often does have spears, shields, clubs and other things of that culture as a symbol of pride, and for celebration attire.

so in an outbreak of a bug leading to semi-zombiefication and a heightened state of aggressive mob/hive mentality...one would assume those people would grab anything, and everything to use as a weapon.

would it be bad if it happened in Pennsylvania and you were attacked by a Amish on a buggy wielding a wooden mallet, or a wood pitch fork?
how about going to the steps of Mongolia and being attacked by horseman with bows, and copper axes?

I think the biggest problem today is that some people want to see fault in everything to be the hero, or to override their own doubts, beliefs, or any number of reasons...but with every cry of wolf, it reopens a wound that IS healing nicely on it's own.

besides the worst outbreaks happened in a " fairly major" U.S city so... is it not fair that everyone get a chance?

ok so let me get this straight:

since its about black people (in africa and who could have guessed their would be some their?) its racism towards black?
ok what about this:

they make RE6 in america and have 1 fat zombie are they saying all americans are fat?

grow the fuck up that tard is probly like 7 years old dont advertise for him

JWAN:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

JWAN:

Wait, the UCLA?

And the ACLU

No, wait, really--what UCLA are you talking about? The only UCLA I've ever heard of is the University of California, Los Angeles.

Mechalemmiwinks:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Wait...where's this coming from? I've never heard of mindless, bloodthirsty hordes of black people.

I've seen more hordes of white people with torches and pitchforks than I've ever even seen black people in my whole life.

Exactly--it's a stereotype with no basis in reality.

I want to point out the fact that there are a lot of native tribes still in Africa with little ammounts of gun and instead (shock horror) use TRADITIONAL weapons. This isn't racist, I wish people woud just get over it.

I'll tell you what is racist. Calling out that this is racist. Think about that one for a minute.

Jumplion:
I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I'd expect nothing less from an intelligent & level-headed PS3 owner.

:D

edit: I'm not going to bother responding to any more posts in this thread because it's pretty clear that most people are deliberately missing the point (or just stupid). it's not the fact that the game is set in an African country; or the fact that black people are being killed; or the fact that the hero is white and the majority of the enemies are black. it's history, culture & context all rolled into one. if you genuinely can't see what's causing a fuss then I feel sorry for you. anyone suggesting that those who raise the issue of racism are secretly racist themselves (and there are a lot of you) should be ashamed. truly disgusting behaviour.

cyber_andyy:
I want to point out the fact that there are a lot of native tribes still in Africa with little ammounts of gun and instead (shock horror) use TRADITIONAL weapons. This isn't racist, I wish people woud just get over it.

I'll tell you what is racist. Calling out that this is racist. Think about that one for a minute.

Or it might be ignorant.

Now, the question is whether that ignorance is racist or not, if it turns out to be ignorance.

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Or it might be ignorant.

Now, the question is whether that ignorance is racist or not, if it turns out to be ignorance.

Racist

I reckon racist because people see that the models are black, and therefore believe that it is racist to have black models, when in fact that is actually saying that 'Black people arn't allowed in video games becauese it might be racist'.

My mind now hurts.

cyber_andyy:

Cheeze_Pavilion:

Or it might be ignorant.

Racist

I reckon racist because people see that the models are black, and therefore believe that it is racist to have black models, when in fact that is actually saying that 'Black people arn't allowed in video games becauese it might be racist'.

My mind now hurts.

Well, I cannot accept your answer because I find your explanation for it to be ignorant.

guys, im half black, and i semi agree with the article when you read what it describes
(by the way, i never bought into the original racism debate of a white guy killing black guys since that doesn't really mean much in context)

read this:
"The African zombies, in contrast, look underfed and hollow-eyed. Their lips are puffed and cracked; their bloodshot eyes practically bug out from their skulls. The physical contrast between the game's heroes and villains -- light skin versus dark skin (even Sheva, who's African, is light-skinned); civilized versus savage...
Things get more troubling when a scream erupts from a nearby alleyway, and Chris and Sheva spot a zombie dragging off a white woman by the hair... When they find the woman, something has happened to her. She falls limply into Chris' arms. "Are you OK?" Chris asks repeatedly. The woman, of course, promptly transforms into a zombie. She has been infected.
Chris and Sheva are forced to destroy this abomination. It happens so quickly that you don't really have a chance to unpack what's going on here;... The logical moment-after question is this: What the f*** is a white woman wearing a thigh-length black dress doing wandering around in the middle of this nowhere African village? Did her plane bound for fashion week in Madrid make a wrong turn somewhere?"

i doubt capcom purposely made it racist at all, but you have to admit that scene seems to make little to no sense

as for the spanish zombies, they weren't stereotyped into all wearing sumbreros and eating tacos (wait that the mexican stereotype isn't it?) but you get my point, they just speak spanish and carry pitchfork's but it's never implied that they have a stereotypically spanish lower way of life

as for the normal zombies in resi 1, 2 and 3, there were black zombies as well anyway but if there weren't then if you were uptight, you could just about get away with being offended but it would probably have more to do with repeated character models then implicit racism

anyway, my point is that this game doesnt look racist at all, but capcom could've reviewed it to make sure it wasn't since they were obviously touching upon unstable ground

harhol:

edit: I'm not going to bother responding to any more posts in this thread because it's pretty clear that most people are deliberately missing the point (or just stupid). it's not the fact that the game is set in an African country; or the fact that black people are being killed; or the fact that the hero is white and the majority of the enemies are black. it's history, culture & context all rolled into one. if you genuinely can't see what's causing a fuss then I feel sorry for you. anyone suggesting that those who raise the issue of racism are secretly racist themselves (and there are a lot of you) should be ashamed. truly disgusting behaviour.

No... you see.. YOU are missing the point. That there IS NO POINT. This game is only racist if you can't see past the colors and realize the fact that it isn't racist at all. It is no more racist against blacks than RE2 was racist against whites. Back to one of your older posts:

harhol:
so you guys see absolutely nothing wrong with a white American guy & his buddies going into an African village (where everyone is "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero? this is risky ground already, without even going into the way that africans are portrayed in the game (apparently appealing to long-forgotten stereotypes). to completely dismiss any suggestion of racism is just silly.

I saw nothing wrong with a White American guy and his buddies going into an American village (where everyone was "infected"), massacring the populace and being portrayed as a hero. I will also note that the white "infected" were portrayed pretty much the same as the black zombies... hell, I think the black zombies are portrayed as smarter, faster, and tougher than the white RE2 zombies!

To me, people who see racism in this game are people who are really too attached to the concept of racism. They're so *anti*-racism that they actually become somewhat racist towards non-blacks. It happens everywhere, especially in government, with blacks and minorities and women actually being granted special privileges.

I thought minorities wanted to be EQUAL rights, not SPECIAL rights above and beyond what everyone else gets..

Therumancer:
Racism is dead as a mainstream phenomena at least in the US.

you cannot be serious.

Africa is basically a wasteland full of impoverished and uneducated people.

Tons of pathetic, uneducated, and malnurished people?

you should be ashamed of these opinions...

highly trained, well educated, special forces guys are exceptional by first world standards. When dealing with a bunch of uneducated, malnurished, guys in Africa...

TheRogueX:
It happens everywhere, especially in government, with blacks and minorities and women actually being granted special privileges.

yes, yes... please continue to tell me about these "special privileges".

Crispy calls out racist, I call out BS.
Why is it that so many people were perfectly happy to blast the heads of dozens upon dozens of Spaniards to pieces, and yet when it's zombified Africans which are the enemy, people start crying racism?
Racism isn't just about skin colour, as some people clearly don't seem to understand.

harhol:

yes, yes... please continue to tell me about these "special privileges".

You can't be serious.

Tekrae:
Why is it that so many people were perfectly happy to blast the heads of dozens upon dozens of Spaniards to pieces, and yet when it's zombified Africans which are the enemy, people start crying racism?

perhaps because rich white people never occupied Spain, sold off its population to be used as slaves, prevented its economic development & denied it independence for hundreds of years despite there being no valid reason to do so...?

just a thought.

CrafterMan:
"First things first: I'm a big white dude. Aside from a small amount of Native American blood, I'm as white as white gets. So I'll say this as clearly and as honestly as I possibly can: As a big white dude, I was uncomfortable with the subhuman portrayals of black people in Resident Evil 5. "

What a stupid and irrelevant way to start a review.

I'm not going to read on, it's just wrong.

It's a game set in africa, if there's no africans, i'd be f***ing worried.

-Joe

Yep if there were white people throughout the whole game whould it make sense at all ?

i think it could be because were all used to seeing white peole get killed in many ways
but seeing a black person get killed always raises MORE eyebrows

thats just a very small factor

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook