Crispy Gamer Calls Out Resident Evil 5's Racism

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

TheRogueX:

harhol:

yes, yes... please continue to tell me about these "special privileges".

You can't be serious.

examples? statistics? facts?

harhol:

TheRogueX:

harhol:

You can't be serious.

> /facepalm

Politcal correctness should be taken out the back and executed.

harhol:

perhaps because rich white people never occupied Spain, sold off its population to be used as slaves, prevented its economic development & denied it independence for hundreds of years despite there being no valid reason to do so...?

just a thought.

Rome.

harhol:

A single white male in the United States vs. a single minority (especially a parent, especially if she's a black woman) in the United States.

If I have to explain what sorts of benefits the latter has the the former DOES NOT, then you need to pull your head out of the sand and experience "Real Life" (tm).

pha kin su pah:

harhol:

TheRogueX:

harhol:

You can't be serious.

> /facepalm

all I'm asking for is proof that "blacks and minorities and women [are] actually being granted special privileges... especially in government".

otherwise these allegations are deeply offensive.

here are some facts to get you started:

percentage of non-whites in Great Britain & NI: 7.9%
percentage of non-whites in British parliament: 2.32%

percentage of non-whites in United States: 30.9%
percentage of non-whites in US House of Representatives: 17.0%
percentage of non-whites in US Senate: 5.0%

hmm... yes... "special privileges" indeed.

Wouldn't it be far more racist to exclude Africa from the list of potential places resident evil games could be set simply because the country has an epidemic? I mean every other country has had epidemics throughout the makings of the resident evil games but no one ever said "No, we need to be sensitive to a degree that will prohibit the development of this game", nor did anyone cry racism.

A concept or word is never racist on its own, it all depends on the intention, no one complained when we were killing under-developed spaniards who were depicted as filthy, and all of whom lived in slums while our foreign protagonist slaughtered them in mass, wearing noticeably more immaculate clothes, brandishing technology which these infected spaniards for some reason just couldn't afford or work out how to use, even though it was being sold just a few metres from their homes. We didn't complain that the implication was that all spaniards were dirty, infected and primitive farmers, because A. we know it's not true, and B. we know that the team of resident evil did not and would not place any racism in their game, considering that it would be sold world-wide.

One can't claim that including a particular section of society in africa (IE the african people who still do use spears) is racist simply because it's also been used as a racial slur in the past. Spears were used in the past and still are used today in some places. It's not racism, it's fact.

TheRogueX:
A single white male in the United States vs. a single minority (especially a parent, especially if she's a black woman) in the United States. If I have to explain what sorts of benefits the latter has the the former DOES NOT, then you need to pull your head out of the sand and experience "Real Life" (tm).

no, please explain, I insist.

harhol:

You got it. I'll get you some hard solid facts later today. For now, I have to sleep.

It is pretty disturbing that you're not aware of what I speak, though. Clearly, you live in a cave.

TheRogueX:

harhol:

You got it. I'll get you some hard solid facts later today. For now, I have to sleep.

It is pretty disturbing that you're not aware of what I speak, though. Clearly, you live in a cave.

missives from the cave, volume 1:

median American income according to the 2005 US census: $44,389
median Hispanic income according to the 2005 US census: $34,241
median Black income according to the 2005 US census: $30,134
median White income according to the 2005 US census: $48,977

http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/005647.html

damn the blacks and their "special privileges"!

[I'm actually loathe to mention average income because no doubt you'll respond with something like "blacks are just lazy lol"]

harhol:

pha kin su pah:

harhol:

TheRogueX:

harhol:

You can't be serious.

> /facepalm

all I'm asking for is proof that "blacks and minorities and women [are] actually being granted special privileges... especially in government".

Once again someone who has a statistical failure. At least from the UK perspective you've failed to think of one thing. Some might get offended by this, but it is a trend, so it is hard to ignore. Those of ethnic minorities tend to stick together in communities. If say, for arguments sake 50% of one area was of middle eastern descent, it would statistically skew an area. Around my area i'd say it was no more than 1% non white. In Slough, it is much higher.

There is a bit of a stigma that population percentage does not equal representative percentage, however if you split it up to councils it would be much more accurate

CrafterMan:
It's a game set in africa, if there's no africans, i'd be f***ing worried.

Exactly. This whole racism issue is just a load of bullshit. I'm just going to enjoy the damn game. It's set in Africa, yes? You get upset about them having spears and maybe shields. What, should they all be in fucking business suits and attack you with briefcases or something? It's a traditional African weapon.

Resident Evil 5 isn't a racist game. If people are getting upset by that, they should take a look at Ethnic Cleansing or White Law. THOSE are racist.

The argument that Resi 5 is racist is complete bollocks, it takes place in Africa for God's sake.

This seems absolutely re-tard-ed, he only find racism in there because he's LOOKING for it. I have played the game and i don't see any racism, and if it was set in America, they wouldn't call racism if there were fat white people, or if it was in Japan, and there were, i don't know, robots or something stupid like that. This is why racism is such a big issue today.

corroded:
Once again someone who has a statistical failure.

personally I prefer factual information over dubious pandering to stereotypes (e.g. "those of ethnic minorities tend to stick together in communities"). how or why does the discussion of important social issues equal "failure"?

If you split it up to councils it would be much more accurate

Currently, there are 19,689 councillors across England and only 168 of them are ethnic minority women, which is less than one per cent (0.9%) despite the fact that ethnic minority women make up 4.6 per cent of the UK population.

http://www.whitehallpages.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=44454&newlang=eng

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-upset-over-resident-evil-5/2#comments

i just stumbled on this,

Why wasnt it a black dude doing the killing anyway . .it would have solved this nonsense conundrum.

I've been watching the game for a few hours now (yet to play) and honestly, I don't find it racist, but I can understand why people see it that way. I didn't see any tribal, spear-throwing zombies, but you are confronted with the image of a white guy gunning down advancing hordes of primitive savages (who happen to be mostly black). But honestly, it seems like it's all in your head, and people are overreacting just a little, and letting opinions fly just a little too quickly.
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/06/anthropologist-says-resident-evil-5-is-not-racist-takeuchi-cont?icid=sphere_blogsmith_inpage_joystiq

Oh so it's alright to kill American zombies and dirty peasants in Spain, but when it comes to dirty peasants in Africa then everyone's starting to scream "OMFG u r soe raicist!!!!!111oneone1"

Christ this makes me sick. Racism is a fucking retarded argument in this game! No one should be judged by the color of his skin when he is running towards you with a chainsaw or a giant ass axe! In fact no one should be judged by the color of his skin anywhere, but that's another topic.

I have to admit, the Ndipaya tribe zombies made me a little uncomfortable...

Oh this time of ours. Nowadays you're treading on egg shells just to speak the fucking truth and see the world as it really is, minus the tissue-thin veneer of political correctivity. I would have to whole heartedly agree with several posters earlier in the thread, this is just a case of more people who are desperate to appear not racist and look morally superior. The thing is, it's almost...well, belittling in a way. 'You can't have black people as enemies in the video game because that's racist'. If anything, isn't it more racist to make up this boundary of ethnicity? If you yourself truly weren't racist, you wouldn't see the enemies being black as racist as you would for them being white, or mexican, or wherever your roots lie.

harhol:
personally I prefer factual information over dubious pandering to stereotypes (e.g. "those of ethnic minorities tend to stick together in communities").

How exactly does that have any relevance in this discussion, barring that you haven't read what i wrote at all. So i'll write it again. You do not understand statistics or our voting system, and the statistic you are flaunting there is flawed when using it to say there is not enough of a specific minority in parliament. What you are saying would require a census level of candidates spread across the country, where only white males could fight for seats with white males, and chinese women vs other chinese women, to achieve the perfect distribution. What your statistic does not also show is eligibility to vote.

Slough Ethnicity:
61.2% White
16.7% S.Asian
7.0% Afro-Carib
0.5% Chinese
3.8% Other.

As of 2008, 40% of London's total population was from an ethnic minority group.[97] Across London, Black and Asian children outnumber White British children by about three to two.[98]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London#Ethnic_groups

Some statistics for you. So ~8% of the UK is non white, but 40% of London is, and 38% of Slough. That's just two i picked at random, out of interest.

harhol:
how or why does the discussion of important social issues equal "failure"?

I didn't even say that, i was just stating you don't understand statistics, that was the 'failure'. However, i feel the 'it's racist to shoot black people' bandwagon are those that are actually racist. Because everyone is equal, and gaining some sort of exemption because of race is offensive.

I don't here the Germans complaining about being shot at constantly?

What if Hitler was from a minority, would it not be ok to demonise him?

PC Daily Mail 'tards drive me crazy.

what the hell are you talking about? you said...

There is a bit of a stigma that population percentage does not equal representative percentage, however if you split it up to councils it would be much more accurate.

...to which I responded with...

Currently, there are 19,689 councillors across England and only 168 of them are ethnic minority women, which is less than one per cent (0.9%) despite the fact that ethnic minority women make up 4.6 per cent of the UK population.

clearly, population percentage does not equal representative percentage, at both local & national level. there is no discussion. who cares about Slough or its ethnicity? this whole tangent is irrelevant anyway. I only posted it to deal with the moron who suggested that blacks and other minorities have "special privileges, especially in government".

I feel the 'it's racist to shoot black people' bandwagon are those that are actually racist.

have you read anything I've posted in this thread? anything at all? here's a sample:

it's pretty clear that most people are deliberately missing the point (or just stupid). it's not the fact that the game is set in an African country; or the fact that black people are being killed; or the fact that the hero is white and the majority of the enemies are black. it's history, culture & context all rolled into one.

PC Daily Mail 'tards

huh...? the daily mail has a reputation for being vehemently against political correctness:

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Daily_Mail#The_Typical_Daily_Mail_News_Story

harhol:

Jumplion:
I agree wholeheartedly with you.

I'd expect nothing less from an intelligent & level-headed PS3 owner.

:D

edit: I'm not going to bother responding to any more posts in this thread because it's pretty clear that most people are deliberately missing the point (or just stupid). it's not the fact that the game is set in an African country; or the fact that black people are being killed; or the fact that the hero is white and the majority of the enemies are black. it's history, culture & context all rolled into one. if you genuinely can't see what's causing a fuss then I feel sorry for you. anyone suggesting that those who raise the issue of racism are secretly racist themselves (and there are a lot of you) should be ashamed. truly disgusting behaviour.

I'll state my opinion on the matter one more time for everyone.

RE5 is as racist as RE4, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, and as offensive as Fat Princess.

Re4 had you shooting Spainiards. That is racist if you put it in context. The reason I think nobody minded was because they were shown as a bunch of big old meanies and acting all Spainiard-y by being angry at you. Ironically, I think the stereotype of Mexicans/Spainiards being unfriendly people or something kept it from being called out. But it is racist, but just in a different context.

For Uncharted, for some reason when Yahtzee said that it was racist, I started hearing everyone else call it out, mainly in reviews that followed suit. I never understood why people were calling Uncharted racist, but I could understand how it would be considered it. It depicts foregners (I don't know the exact ethnicity) as ruthless pirates who want to kill and are greedy. That is racist, but in a different context. I (and I assume you) am not saying that these games are 100% racist, but in a certain context some people may find it offensive. But usually with how people react to seeing pirates ("AAAAAAARGHHHHHHH!@"), most people were fine with (until Yahtzee made all his fanboys start moaning about it).

Now on to Fat Princess, you try to capture your princess through a bloody battlefield, whilst the enemy stuffs her with cake to make it harder for you to drag her back. What it shows is that Women are objects to be won and captured, and that fat people are a part of that equation. Why they couldn't replace the princess with a treasure chest or something magical is questioned. But that wholly depends on how you look at it. The fat chick went on raving about how it depicts fat people, and was responded with slander and "lol, fat shit" comments.
Guys, that makes her look right about those things.

If you can't understand how RE5 could be depicted as racist, not called out as racist, then you are pretty ignorant and can't understand imagery. Again, I'm not saying it is racist, I'm saying some people could see it as racist. Take RE5 and change the setting, only the setting, to let's say, I dunno, Philedelphia (apparantly it has alot of gangs or something, according to Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Does it change anything in how you would look at it? Does it seem more or less racist? I don't know exactly what was the purpose of this excersise, but just do it!

Well, that should be the last of my posts here, I better get to work on my webcomic *coughcough* [/shameless advertising]

The ONLY reason there is perceived racism in RE5 is because the zombies aren't white.

But if the game were set in Africa and the zombies WERE white, it would be racist as well.

Gamine:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/01/african-womens-blog-upset-over-resident-evil-5/2#comments

i just stumbled on this,

Why wasnt it a black dude doing the killing anyway . .it would have solved this nonsense conundrum.

Because they would have had to created a brand new hero (like they normally do) and they wanted to continue Chris Redfield's story line.

Hey people. I wrote the Resident Evil 5 review on Crispy Gamer. The review wasn't intended to tell you how to feel about the game. The review is a personal exploration of my own experiences. That's all it's intended to be.

For the record, some posts on this thread are incredibly thoughtful.

Question: Would anyone be comfortable mowing down hordes of zombie Jews?

harhol:

pha kin su pah:

harhol:

TheRogueX:

harhol:

You can't be serious.

> /facepalm

First thing that comes to mind is affirmative action. The second is the UNCF commercials I see sometimes. Although after a bit of research I have since learned it is open open to most ethnicities. It doesn't help that the commercials most will see don't reflect that. The third example is in this thread. It is ok to use any ethnic group to tell a story and you can portray them however you wish except the African people who are off limits.

One more thing: I'm disappointed that so many of my fellow critics have decided to type around the issue.

That's not good enough.

i really wish i could comment on this thread but i don't think i should...and ...well...ya know

Slight problem with that: Aside from Israel, there are few populations that consist mostly of Jews (at least, of the size necessary for a zombie horde). And also, FAIL for pulling a Godwin as your first argument.

Now, back to my point. Personally, I think it's more condemnatory towards the colonial powers in Africa, which raped the continent, inflamed inter-ethnic disputes and encouraged infighting in the natives, and overall enslaved the population for their own ends--for raw resources, mostly. A lot of the junk that Africa's going through can be indirectly attributed to imperialism in Africa, and it's the same way in this game. No, the "zombies" in this game aren't animals; they're victims.

I like how the reviewer says RE5 is racist for how it portrays black people, and then goes on to say that japanese people don't know whats going on in the rest of the world.

Oh here is a question. Why is 50 Cent BOTS not getting slapped with the racism card?

squid5580:
Oh here is a question. Why is 50 Cent BOTS not getting slapped with the racism card?

'Cuz Fiddie's a rappah man! All rappahs have that kind of Adventur!

Though then again, it is a black guy shooting up Arabs/Terrorists. Now that is one ethnic blender!

SomeBritishDude:

NoDamnNames:

Dr Spaceman:

Honestly, those spear-chucking Africans I saw in the Escapist's own review supplement seemed to be something that would even make Joseph Conrad blush.

So using the same logic would Medieval bow wielding Europeans have been racist if it was set in England?

But would anyone care? The old english language is slaughtered in many games, and nobody says anything.

Well...Yeah, if it was set now.

scottjones:
Hey people. I wrote the Resident Evil 5 review on Crispy Gamer. The review wasn't intended to tell you how to feel about the game. The review is a personal exploration of my own experiences. That's all it's intended to be.

For the record, some posts on this thread are incredibly thoughtful.

Question: Would anyone be comfortable mowing down hordes of zombie Jews?

I would.

Bonus points if I got to play a german. We could call it, Holocaust: The Revenge. A Neo Nazi fights off the hoardes of vengeful dead from the holocaust. Don't worry, it's okay because you die at the end and the Jews get their rightful revenge. Then you go to hell.

I WOULD PLAY THAT GAME AND LIKE IT BECAUSE I DON'T -GIVE- A SHIT! Racism exists when you give credence to it. It's a videogame and it's an exscuse to SHOOT ZOMBIES IN THE HEAD. If it makes you uncomfortable, it's supposed to because it's a Horror game. Your supposed to look at it and feel creeped out, uncomfortable, offput. The imagery is supposed to upset you. HOR-ROR.

looking at the absolute fucking madness that is RE5 threads...I wonder..

Could this racism controversy be avoided in any way possible?

ElArabDeMagnifico:
looking at the absolute fucking madness that is RE5 threads...I wonder..

Could this racism controversy be avoided in any way possible?

I think you may be on to something, but for the life of me I can't find out what!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here