How did you play Max Payne 3 and how did you like it?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Which platform? Did you use shoot dodge and cover a lot? Which modes have you played?

A score, if you would. Out of 5 or whatever you prefer. If you don't believe in scores, a quick summary of your thoughts.

I find it a breath of fresh air in the sea of "authentic" OTS cover shooters... No, I'm kidding. I'm not gonna type the same thing I said for Doom. I'm not gonna type anything out for this one. I'll just copy my review. I like almost everything about it.

4/5

I just watched the IGN review, which I think did a pretty good job of explaining the storytelling.

Some people, including Yahtzee, complained that Max is depressing and bums you out, but I never felt that way. I like him.

It's been a while since I played it last, but I remember really enjoying it. There were some control niggles, as is expected of any Rockstar game, but nothing that bothered me too much, at least not to the extent that the controls and movement in GTA4 did (god that was a fucking mess).

My biggest problems with the game were technical in nature rather than problems with the gameplay and story. The game's load times are atrocious, and I remember having issues with Rockstar's social club. It's the first game I owned with the rockstar social club features on PC, and I remember this game fucking up something in my account, can't exactly remember what, but it's something that I didn't fix at the time because I figured it wasn't worth it for a game that I wasn't going to play any multiplayer in, and that came back to haunt me when I played GTA5.

I never played Max Payne 1 and 2 (I never owned a PS2 or Xbox Original), so I never really got the criticism of Max as a character and how he was different from the previous games. I enjoyed his story arch, and I never really felt like he was too depressing or that the internal monologue was distracting. While the dialogue was often trying too hard, to the point of silliness, I thought that the voice acting sold it pretty well.

Overall a 4/5. Mostly brought down by annoying software problems and bugs. I might replay it sometime to get fresh eyes on it. When it came out it was a 35 gig download which was considered insane, but now that the average AAA game is 45 gigs redownloading it doesn't seem quite as daunting.

Played it on the PS3, probably on Normal.

And I fucking hated it. There are very, very few games I hate, and Max Payne 3 is one of them.

The narrative and all the characters in it are rotten for the sake of being rotten. There isn't one character in this game that isn't a complete shitstain to an obnoxious degree. The game flaunts with how depressingly awful just everything is to the point where I could see it seeping out of my screen. Even the visual presentation is awful, what with those random screen distortions during cutscenes that seem to have no rhyme or reason to them.

And there's that one scene where Max sees the hostages in a shack, surrounded by maybe three goons, and he just waltzes in there like a moron and gets them killed, when he could've just bullet-timed them to death, but no. This retared action made me lose what little respect I had for him. And I think I remember him being a total idiot in that bar scene with the mobster son too.

And the gameplay is just about as shit. Enemies have pin point accuracy and are impossible to anticipate; you can just be walking along a corridor and some guy will pop out from behind a corner and instantly take off half of your health. There's the docks level where if you so much as dip your toe in the water a guy will immediately spawn on you and kill you, eventhough the guy is 20 yards away.

There's times where a cutscene will force you right into the view of armed goons, showing Max running through a door until he's no more than 10 feet away from their guns. No need to allow me to assess the situation before I decide to expose myself or anything, no, just throw me right in the thick of it. There's other times where a cutscene will change my current weapon from long gun the handgun, eventhough I just equiped it knowing I'd need it for the following encounter.

And the unholy load times are just the putrid cherry ontop of this vommit pie.

I despise this game.

Casual Shinji:
And the gameplay is just about as shit. Enemies have pin point accuracy and are impossible to anticipate; you can just be walking along a corridor and some guy will pop out from behind a corner and instantly take off half of your health. There's the docks level where if you so much as dip your toe in the water a guy will immediately spawn on you and kill you, eventhough the guy is 20 yards away.

Their aim and reaction speed aren't as good as yours. They have good accuracy because the mechanics are overwhelmingly in your favor. I mean, how fair would it be if you had bullet time and could run around with pinpoint accuracy, and they couldn't shoot worth shit? You can even dodge their bullets, since they travel slow. Besides, the levels are linear, so you seldom need to worry about someone shooting you from the back. I wish there was a difficulty above Old School.

I really freaking enjoyed MP3, I liked how ridiculous some of the action scenes were and how Max's first reaction to a problem is to do some dumbass slow-mo dive that realistically would throw your aim off massively. Gameplay was fun as hell and as much as I usually dislike overly dark storylines, I liked MP3's story. It's one of those darker stories that manages to keep the hope of things getting better alive throughout the whole game which a lot of western games tend to forget to do. The only reason I can never get into The Witcher 2/3 is because shit is fucked with no fix in sight and that's just completely depressing and exhausting to play through.

It's pretty cool how incompetent Max is when things matter too. I know some people will be driven mad by how many times Max fucks up a rescue mission but it really fits the story of one man's life going further and further downhill no matter how hard he tries.

The Wykydtron:

It's pretty cool how incompetent Max is when things matter too. I know some people will be driven mad by how many times Max fucks up a rescue mission but it really fits the story of one man's life going further and further downhill no matter how hard he tries.

And don't forget, he's drunk/high at least half the game, so good decisions aren't exactly his forte to start with.

PC, M&K, don't remember difficulty or modes.

Eh. I've played worse games I guess.

It had potential but the strictly linear level design and scripted enemy spawns mean there's no wriggle room. Then there's the rather repetitive nature of the shooting. Pop slo-mo, click on heads, pop slo-mo, click on heads. Combine the two and you get a very flat sort of game.

Oh, and the cutscenes were actively unpleasant to watch. All the flickering and blurring and for some reason text of the dialogue flying around. I get that it's because Max is operating through a haze of booze and meds, but that doesn't make it any less annoying to look at.

The story never gave me a reason to give a shit. Hell, it barely gave Max a reason to give a shit. I hardly remember it. Something about Max guarding a rich family in Brazil and some corrupt government/mafia bad guys who I don't remember if we ever actually see.

It was sporting some solid animation though.

2.5/5

I played it on PC when it came out on a friend's account, and was pretty impressed with how well it ran at the time. I believe I was using a GTX 480, and despite the reputation for the card getting hot, it didn't seem to struggle running the game.

I played it with a controller back then though, so I think I enjoyed it quite a bit, and even beat it.

Then I came back to it, and let me say, I've never had a problem with a third person games FOV before, but for some reason Max Payne 3 made me nauseous with a mouse and keyboard.

Despite that though, I remember not being too entertained with the combat. It was functional, but the pace felt a lot slower than the previous games. Different generation and tech, I get that, but I started playing it straight off the heels of finishing the original two.

I was pretty invested in the narrative though, so regardless of how I felt about the game I did want to keep on playing.

Zhukov:
Then there's the rather repetitive nature of the shooting. Pop slo-mo, click on heads, pop slo-mo, click on heads. Combine the two and you get a very flat sort of game.

Not really. Unless you have pretty great aim, foot movement is also important, especially on higher difficulties. I often place myself behind cover (Usually without using the cover system. The cover system makes the game harder a lot of the time.) and switch shoulders to get the best position on someone. I even use crouch for cover. If I wasn't always moving and using my surroundings, the game would be harder. I do agree that the amount of bullet time you get is pretty generous. FEAR did it better.

DeliveryGodNoah:
Despite that though, I remember not being too entertained with the combat. It was functional, but the pace felt a lot slower than the previous games. Different generation and tech, I get that, but I started playing it straight off the heels of finishing the original two.

A lot slower? I find Max Payne 3 fast-paced, even with the weight of the animations. This is me getting to the second to last chapter in two hours:

I believe New York Minute Hardcore is on the medium difficulty, but I play almost like that on Old School as well.

This guy ran through the whole game in just over two hours.

Max doesn't run quite as fast anymore, but I think it's still a fast game.

I didn't notice what he says about the music at 1 hour 35 min. I guess it does do dynamic music pretty well.

Edit: More accurately, he ran through it in 64 minutes. Half of it was cutscenes.

I played through once and a half times on normal and enjoyed it well enough but I was with Yahtzee when he called it "Max Complain 3." Like, yeah the first two took themselves a bit too serious and Max was a hardcore Debbie Downer who made some interesting choices in metaphors but at least that was sort of in keeping with the dark, miserable noir-ish themes and aesthetics, but what excuse did the third have? It mostly took place in South America ffs. I just want to tell Max to cheer the fuck up already.

I really enjoyed it. Played it on PC with a controller because I was getting sub30fps. The story was trying too hard it was hilarious, though there were parts where I was just annoyed with it.

Gameplay was fun but could get really rinse and repeat. I'm a pretty bad at games, so whenever I pulled of something cool it felt even better.

I loved the game. My experience on PC was great, except for the fucking Social club, which fucked me around constantly. I had zero intention of playing online, so this was immensely frustrating to say the least. Replayed it recently, until my save somehow broke, and I couldn't back up, or even download a saved file to finish off the last 2 chapters because Social club won't let you do that for some reason (clashing user accounts).

Technical niggles aside, the game ran well and looked great. Yeah, the cutscenes with italic bold caps subtitles was a little annoying, much of a departure from the comic panels in 1 and 2, but i still loved it. You just gotta laugh at how hopelessly depressing and emo it all is, but I loved it for being such a different, Max is useless despite being a very experienced ex-cop and competent gun fighter.

At first I was wary about the design changes, but found the gun carry system to work very well, and even give the game a bit of realism. Max Payne differs from other games, where the fiction is not so much in how useless the enemies are, but rather what a badass Max is. They shoot with quick reactions, and you can easily get plugged for significant damage. But with the tools at your fingertips, action is fast and tense. If you try playing without shoot dodge, it's actually a very fun game with the timing of the shooting, leaning out, and moving between cover being crucial.

I'd love to play it again one day, but I'd only really play a twitchy shooter with KB&M, and I just don't know if I could deal with Social Club ever again, which is why I will probably never play GTA5 on PC.

Edit: Since OP asked so nicely, I give it a 4/5. It would be a 5/5, or at least a very strong 4.5/5, if it wasn't for the online bullshit.

Ezekiel:

Casual Shinji:

Their aim and reaction speed aren't as good as yours. They have good accuracy because the mechanics are overwhelmingly in your favor. I mean, how fair would it be if you had bullet time and could run around with pinpoint accuracy, and they couldn't shoot worth shit? You can even dodge their bullets, since they travel slow. Besides, the levels are linear, so you seldom need to worry about someone shooting you from the back. I wish there was a difficulty above Old School.

I don't mind if enemies bend me over their knee every once in a while, but the problem with Max Payne 3 is that you can't anticipate when an enemy will show up. And when they show up the first shot is nearly always theirs. And that shot will almost always hit.

In a videogame enemies need to announce themselves in some manner so you are given a short amount of time to perform an action. This is the revving up of the chainsaw in Resident Evil 4 to indicate an instant death is about to hit you. Max can bullet time, but since it's impossible to read enemy actions you'll usually get hit before you get the oppertunity to activate it.

Casual Shinji:

Ezekiel:

Casual Shinji:

I don't mind if enemies bend me over their knee every once in a while, but the problem with Max Payne 3 is that you can't anticipate when an enemy will show up. And when they show up the first shot is nearly always theirs. And that shot will almost always hit.

In a videogame enemies need to announce themselves in some manner so you are given a short amount of time to perform an action. This is the revving up of the chainsaw in Resident Evil 4 to indicate an instant death is about to hit you. Max can bullet time, but since it's impossible to read enemy actions you'll usually get hit before you get the oppertunity to activate it.

That's why you typically move out from behind cover slowly, often aiming with the over-the-shoulder cam, and strafe so that their gun is pointed at your previous position.

Its extremely dissapoiting game. cutscene after each and every door and unskippable, cover system. terrible predictable story compare to how iconic story was in original max payne. gameplay is strictly linear with no exploration. MP1 was also linear but not that much. theres no grenade etc. only 3 weapon limit. Max is out of character. and there is no noire. just shooting in day light which feel like any other shooter.

Max payne 1 was masterpiece and only remedy can make a good max payne game.

It's been a while ago so I don't really remember. Played it on PC.

I remember dying a lot in a number of segments. There was a part with a heavy armoured dude that you apparently have to shoot in the legs whom I died to a lot.

Found the story kinda silly and really depressing.

I think I enjoyed myself overall.

I'm in total agreement with Shinji. Max Payne 3 is literally the worst game I ever played. I hated the story, characters, gameplay, Kane & Lynch-esque visuals, etc. The writing is overly pretentious (a term I very rarely use) because you can tell Dan Houser thinks he's a good writer and thinks every line is "deep" sorta like most of the dialogue from Batman v Superman. I hated all the characters as much as you hate those annoying teenagers in the worst horror movies. Then, there's just twists to do a fucking twist because twists are so brilliant!!! The actual bad guys change once or twice over the course of the game, and you couldn't care less about any of them. Then, IIRC, Max's right hand man even betrays Max and then is back on Max's side. It's all so very stupid and pointless.

The gameplay isn't very good at all, it's a clunky TPS with bullet-time. Cover and movement is clunkier than an Uncharted game. Cover can be used for more than just defense, it can be used offensively too! The control scheme for the controller is horribly thought out; you have to stop moving to switch shoulders, you have to bring up a radial dial to switch weapons. There's just something with movement and aiming that feels off in every Rockstar game, there's a reason why all of them default to some sorta auto-aim system. And I've played with and against the very best TPS players competitively for about 10 years now so it's not that I have to "git gud"; I've literally played the game at the highest level that coined the term "git gud". Level design is also horrid; there's so many times you're basically in the open with guys at your 3,12,9 and moving isn't encouraged at all. I wouldn't be surprised if Max has no i-frames either.

Lastly, Shinji is totally right that the game basically 'Dark Souls' your ass with random enemies behind corners and shit. I remember a few times I cleared out the area but didn't get the 'final shot slow-mo kill' to signify everyone was dead and I'll go moving down the alleyway only to have some COD-like shotgun camper pop out right in front of me and 1-hit kill me and have to do the whole gunfight again.

Oh, and one last piece of bullshit is having a grenade launcher that Max puts down in a cutscene and you have a fancy pistol for the next gunfight. Fuck Max Payne 3...

Dirty Hipsters:
My biggest problems with the game were technical in nature rather than problems with the gameplay and story.

Same. The most frustrating thing for me, far more than the unskippable cutscenes, are the random crashes. I'm still trying to beat New York Minute Hardcore. Getting to this point took two goddamn hours:

I'm gonna try using the base clock of my CPU. I have the i5-4670k overclocked to 4 GHz. God, I hope that's it.

Ezekiel:
That's why you typically move out from behind cover slowly, often aiming with the over-the-shoulder cam, and strafe so that their gun is pointed at your previous position.

First of of all, I thought this was supposed to be a fast-paced game, where you need to dip and dive around in slo-mo shooting bad guys. Though with the way Max lands like a wet slab of newspaper during a dive and then proceeds to rise like a crippled horse, this is probably not what you want to do anyway.

Secondly, it's not so much the fire fights themselves, it's when fire fights trigger. The yacht level is the perfect example of this, since it has tight corridors, so whenever a goon shows up from behind a corner he'll have already plugged you before you realize there's anybody there.

There's simply no telegraphing that gives you the change at drawing first blood. And in a game with a pretty harsh damage output by the enemy that's extremely annoying.

Casual Shinji:

Ezekiel:

First of of all, I thought this was supposed to be a fast-paced game, where you need to dip and dive around in slo-mo shooting bad guys. Though with the way Max lands like a wet slab of newspaper during a dive and then proceeds to rise like a crippled horse, this is probably not what you want to do anyway.

Secondly, it's not so much the fire fights themselves, it's when fire fights trigger. The yacht level is the perfect example of this, since it has tight corridors, so whenever a goon shows up from behind a corner he'll have already plugged you before you realize there's anybody there.

There's simply no telegraphing that gives you the change at drawing first blood. And in a game with a pretty harsh damage output by the enemy that's extremely annoying.

Well yeah, you can run through like the first half of the game, but later, enemies get more armor and better guns. As a result, you also have less bullet time to waste. You can still run during combat in those later levels, and it's often safer than waiting, but it takes more prudence. The police station is one of my favorite levels.

You're right, shoot dodge should mostly only be used when diving behind cover or when you know there will be no more enemies. I don't see the problem. The standing up animation is a drawback to an overpowered ability.

Even in the yacht level, the enemies are at a disadvantage. You're a lot faster and more accurate than them. Their speed adds replay value. I don't want them to take their time.

It's one of the best third person shooters ever made and possibly the only pure action game of last and this generation. It doesn't even try to be any other genre. The levels are kind of ugly most of the time though. But that's because of the setting.

The actual design of most of the levels is alright because they are design to completely take advantage of the gameplay mechanics. Aside from that boat level. That was just a turret section. Good by turret section standards, I guess. But that's not saying much and the game would have been better off without it. New York levels are my favorite parts.

The story and the characters are rubbish and it makes me sad that this is a Max Payne game. It would have been better if it was a new IP. Better yet if Rockstar didn't decide to set the game in Brazil. Max should have stayed an NYC detective.

Ultimately, it's a game that I like to play every once in a while exclusively for its gameplay mechanics. Gameplay is simply amazing. I do wish that guns had some recoil, but that's a minor concern.

Adam Jensen:
It's one of the best third person shooters ever made and possibly the only pure action game of last and this generation. It doesn't even try to be any other genre. The levels are kind of ugly most of the time though. But that's because of the setting.

The actual design of most of the levels is alright because they are design to completely take advantage of the gameplay mechanics. Aside from that boat level. That was just a turret section. Good by turret section standards, I guess. But that's not saying much and the game would have been better off without it. New York levels are my favorite parts.

The story and the characters are rubbish and it makes me sad that this is a Max Payne game. It would have been better if it was a new IP. Better yet if Rockstar didn't decide to set the game in Brazil. Max should have stayed an NYC detective.

Ultimately, it's a game that I like to play every once in a while exclusively for its gameplay mechanics. Gameplay is simply amazing.

Does the police know that he killed Winterson? He was seen by two cops at the scene. Even if they weren't sure, which police department would hire him after what happened in Max Payne 2? There probably would have been an ugly investigation. Would he even WANT to be a cop after what happened?

I think setting it in another place was the right thing to do. That story was over. It ended nicely. He needed a fresh start.

I do wish that guns had some recoil, but that's a minor concern.

The guns do have recoil, but it's pretty light. With some of them, you get better accuracy by tapping repeatedly.

PS3. I rented it from Amazon, back when amazon rashly permitted that sort of thing. I didn't like it. From a gameplay standpoint, the novelty of having limited firearms and no way to carry them just meant the game punished me for playing it the in the way I found fun; hosing a wall of bullets at each enemy. Ammo conservation slowed the flow and took the fun out of it, when compared to the previous games which actively encourage wasteful, pretty looking gunfights.

The story was the real sticking point though. I didn't mind him moving to Brazil, getting fat and bald; that was an interesting change. No, the real problem was how Max is such an endlessly miserable git who constantly complains about everything and everyone. He's paid as a bodyguard, but drinks to excess on the job and still has the audacity to complain about how spoilt and callous his employers are. I didn't have anyone to care about, least of all Max himself, who is just such an incompetent, self indulgent berk. Finally the cinematic drunk haze triple vision got very annoying, and shouldn't have been used for every single cut scene.

I loved it, it was like Die Hard or something in that direction. Like Adam Jensen said the only pure action game of last and this generation.
I can agree with that.

I've watched a bit more of that guy's speedrun. He's totally right about most of the action sequences being over too quickly. He says the game has the AI of GTA V and that they rarely get a chance to demonstrate it because it's always over in seconds.

B-Cell:
cover system

I think you suck at Max Payne 3. You're always complaining about the cover system because you don't know how to play the game without it. Watch any Old School or Hardcore playthrough (like CJacobsSA's, above) and see how much the players rely on the cover system.

Adam Jensen:
It's one of the best third person shooters ever made and possibly the only pure action game of last and this generation.

I assume you're just referring to shooters that would be considered action games. Even then there's freaking VANQUISH. And BulletStorm is definitely an action game as well. There's Just Cause series, inFamous (functionally a 'shooter' with lightning as bullets), and Warhawk/Starhawk. I'd consider all those to be action games that happen to primarily feature shooting vs something like say Bayonetta, which I think is what you mean but I'm not sure as the to the actual parameters you're going by.

I loved that game. Played through it twice and when I replay a game I really, really enjoyed it. The gunplay is incredibly satisfying and I love Max' mopey demeanor and funny remarks. The environments also change often so it never really becomes stale. My only gripe is that the airport scene at the end just drags on a bit too long in a game that is otherwise perfectly paced.

I'm a massive fan of the series and I felt let down by it.

That's not because of the gameplay, mind you. The gameplay was very strong. What burns me up is the degree to which the game doesn't want you to get at it. I would love to replay MP3 often, but it's too annoying of an experience. Gimme 15-20 minutes of straight gameplay and I might actually be happy to see a cut-scene (more-so if it were skippable) but a cut-scene basically every other room is fucking annoying. What was that shit where it would always start you with a pistol too? You'd be having a ball with a shotgun, you'd get a short cut-scene and then you'd be holding it in your off hand with a pistol ready to go... Why?

Sexual Harassment Panda:
What was that shit where it would always start you with a pistol too? You'd be having a ball with a shotgun, you'd get a short cut-scene and then you'd be holding it in your off hand with a pistol ready to go... Why?

Simply because they didn't wanna animate Max twice.

Ezekiel:

B-Cell:
cover system

I think you suck at Max Payne 3. You're always complaining about the cover system because you don't know how to play the game without it. Watch any Old School or Hardcore playthrough (like CJacobsSA's, above) and see how much the players rely on the cover system.

so why bother putting cover system in max payne 3? and yes theres forced cover gameplay when you are in van.

cover system always ruined third person game. remember max payne 1. you have to courch behind boxes.

Cover system in Max Payne 3 works well. The game is trying to emulate action movies. Shootouts are supposed to look cinematic. And they do. To that effect the cover system in MP3 is implemented remarkably well. Better than in most other third person shooters. If you don't like it, you still have a crouch button that also does the job, so use that instead.

Phoenixmgs:

Adam Jensen:
It's one of the best third person shooters ever made and possibly the only pure action game of last and this generation.

I assume you're just referring to shooters that would be considered action games. Even then there's freaking VANQUISH. And BulletStorm is definitely an action game as well. There's Just Cause series, inFamous (functionally a 'shooter' with lightning as bullets), and Warhawk/Starhawk. I'd consider all those to be action games that happen to primarily feature shooting vs something like say Bayonetta, which I think is what you mean but I'm not sure as the to the actual parameters you're going by.

Those games all have some type of upgrade or unlock system in place. That kind of dilutes their purity in my eyes. I'm not saying that they're bad games or that Max Payne 3 is better than those games. It's just a more pure example of an action game. Max Payne 3 doesn't have any kind of unlock system (single player, at least). It's a pure third person shooter. You pick up a weapon, you murder everyone in sight and you proceed to the next murder room. You don't acquire any points or money that you can spend on any type of upgrade. The collectables scattered around the level are purely optional things for completionists and have no impact on gameplay.

B-Cell:

Ezekiel:

B-Cell:
cover system

so why bother putting cover system in max payne 3? and yes theres forced cover gameplay when you are in van.

cover system always ruined third person game. remember max payne 1. you have to courch behind boxes.

Two reasons.

1. It was released in 2012. Cover systems have become a standard of third-person shooters. People expect them. Remedy would have done the same thing with their Max Payne 3. You're nuts if you think they wouldn't. Quantum Break has a cover system.

2. It helps. There are a few pretty dangerous parts in the game that encourage using cover. Even the YouTuber above, with his world record of 54 minutes, manually went into cover at a few optional points. But if you're having to rely on it constantly, you're not making good use of Max's mobility.

Cover has drawbacks. Enemies can often get an easier shot at you when you use the shoulder aim from cover, making it safer to move to the side from behind an object/wall and use the camera toggle (shoulder swap) as necessary.

Crouch is still there. I use it.

Edit: Also, as Adam Jensen said above, it's there because it's cinematic. Like "bullet time" in the original Max Payne.

Ezekiel:

B-Cell:

Ezekiel:

Two reasons.

1. It was released in 2012. Cover systems have become a standard of third-person shooters. People expect them. Remedy would have done the same thing with their Max Payne 3. You're nuts if you think they wouldn't. Quantum Break has a cover system.

2. It helps. There are a few pretty dangerous parts in the game that encourage using cover. Even the YouTuber above, with his world record of 54 minutes, manually went into cover at a few optional points. But if you're having to rely on it constantly, you're not making good use of Max's mobility.

Cover has drawbacks. Enemies can often get an easier shot at you when you use the shoulder aim from cover, making it safer to move to the side from behind an object/wall and use the camera toggle (shoulder swap) as necessary.

Crouch is still there. I use it.

Edit: Also, as Adam Jensen said above, it's there because it's cinematic. Like "bullet time" in the original Max Payne.

tbh, gameplay wise. max payne 3 is fine. but what ruined the game is too linear level design, terrible story for a game that happen to be cinematic and how original game has one of the GOAT story and dialouges.

thats where game fall flat. cover system doesnot needed in MP3 but bullet time mechanic is signature of max payne as you cannot make Max payne with out it.

quantum break doesnot have gears of war style cover system but a crouch mechanic.

Adam Jensen:
Those games all have some type of upgrade or unlock system in place. That kind of dilutes their purity in my eyes. I'm not saying that they're bad games or that Max Payne 3 is better than those games. It's just a more pure example of an action game. Max Payne 3 doesn't have any kind of unlock system (single player, at least). It's a pure third person shooter. You pick up a weapon, you murder everyone in sight and you proceed to the next murder room. You don't acquire any points or money that you can spend on any type of upgrade. The collectables scattered around the level are purely optional things for completionists and have no impact on gameplay.

The golden guns in Max Payne 3 are a bit better than the regular guns. Vanquish's weapon upgrades don't even require collecting anything nor even require a menu, you just slide through a floating green cube to get them and half the time they are used just to get more ammo for your power weapon vs increasing stats, plus they are disabled on the highest difficulty. Warhawk didn't have any upgrades outside of cosmetic skins, I believe Starhawk was the same (I only played the beta). Max Payne 3 has so much interruptions with cutscenes between the action that I couldn't ever call it the purest action game of the past 2 generations. It was obvious the game was created where the story was intended to be a significant portion of the game.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here