How did you play Max Payne 3 and how did you like it?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Phoenixmgs:

Adam Jensen:
Those games all have some type of upgrade or unlock system in place. That kind of dilutes their purity in my eyes. I'm not saying that they're bad games or that Max Payne 3 is better than those games. It's just a more pure example of an action game. Max Payne 3 doesn't have any kind of unlock system (single player, at least). It's a pure third person shooter. You pick up a weapon, you murder everyone in sight and you proceed to the next murder room. You don't acquire any points or money that you can spend on any type of upgrade. The collectables scattered around the level are purely optional things for completionists and have no impact on gameplay.

The golden guns in Max Payne 3 are a bit better than the regular guns. Vanquish's weapon upgrades don't even require collecting anything nor even require a menu, you just slide through a floating green cube to get them and half the time they are used just to get more ammo for your power weapon vs increasing stats, plus they are disabled on the highest difficulty. Warhawk didn't have any upgrades outside of cosmetic skins, I believe Starhawk was the same (I only played the beta). Max Payne 3 has so much interruptions with cutscenes between the action that I couldn't ever call it the purest action game of the past 2 generations. It was obvious the game was created where the story was intended to be a significant portion of the game.

The golden guns are more like collectibles. You can disable them in the settings. I disabled them because I find them ugly. Ten percent damage increase for golden guns is so little that it's not even worth mentioning in a discussion about upgrades. I generally don't like upgrades. They're dumb. If the enemies are getting stronger and you're upgrading along with them, nothing really changes, so why even feature upgrades? It unbalances earlier levels by making you too powerful, turns later enemies into bullet sponges, it's almost always unrealistic, and the menus are not fun to look at.

Almost every game has a story that disrupts the gameplay. (Bayonetta has longass cutscenes, in the opening, middle and end of levels. They're far more intrusive than Devil May Cry's. You can skip them, but then you miss the story.) Point is, Max Payne 3's gameplay is pure action.

B-Cell:

Ezekiel:

B-Cell:

so why bother putting cover system in max payne 3? and yes theres forced cover gameplay when you are in van.

cover system always ruined third person game. remember max payne 1. you have to courch behind boxes.

Two reasons.

1. It was released in 2012. Cover systems have become a standard of third-person shooters. People expect them. Remedy would have done the same thing with their Max Payne 3. You're nuts if you think they wouldn't. Quantum Break has a cover system.

2. It helps. There are a few pretty dangerous parts in the game that encourage using cover. Even the YouTuber above, with his world record of 54 minutes, manually went into cover at a few optional points. But if you're having to rely on it constantly, you're not making good use of Max's mobility.

Cover has drawbacks. Enemies can often get an easier shot at you when you use the shoulder aim from cover, making it safer to move to the side from behind an object/wall and use the camera toggle (shoulder swap) as necessary.

Crouch is still there. I use it.

Edit: Also, as Adam Jensen said above, it's there because it's cinematic. Like "bullet time" in the original Max Payne.

tbh, gameplay wise. max payne 3 is fine. but what ruined the game is too linear level design, terrible story for a game that happen to be cinematic and how original game has one of the GOAT story and dialouges.

thats where game fall flat. cover system doesnot needed in MP3 but bullet time mechanic is signature of max payne as you cannot make Max payne with out it.

quantum break doesnot have gears of war style cover system but a crouch mechanic.

The original is overrated. It's the only one I'm never going to replay. I was unimpressed by both the gameplay and story. The main problem of Max Payne 3 isn't the frequent cutscenes, it's that the action moments are over too quickly. I can get through it all in 84 minutes. That's not enough.

Casual Shinji:
Snip

Phoenixmgs:
Snip

Everything said here, the whole game is godawful on it's own merits not to mention when compared to the total masterpieces that were Max Payne 1 & 2. I don't really remember what platform I first played it on but it doesn't matter because in addition to everything stated by both Shinji and Phoenix what probably kills it more than anything else is the atmosphere and dialog. Max Payne 1 and 2 are games I go back and play to this day because of one thing, the story. I could listen to Max spout metaphors about this and that all day long, and while the atmosphere is grim like a noir should be the characters manage to put some hilarity into the occasional line here and there to balance it out, it all just sucks me into the game in a way that other similar shooters can't. Max Payne 3 doesn't even pretend to fit the Noir atmosphere of the previous 2 games, the colors and lighting are too bright, the dialog is corny including Max's and a lot of it is in spanish yet doesn't even have subtitles, and the whole story relies upon Max being a totally incompetent screwup instead of the miserable near suicidal badass he's supposed to be. Max may have been miserable and had awful things happen to him in MP1&2, but he was still COMPETENT despite everything, little bad that happened was really his own fault.

Max Payne 3 for all it's other faults made the cardinal sin of a sequel, not having the feel of any of the games is supposed to be the sequel of. It's really obvious that "Max Payne" 3 was really just some terrible third person shooter that Rockstar slapped Max Payne into so it would sell, not a game actually intended to live up to it's legacy.

Ezekiel:
The golden guns are more like collectibles. You can disable them in the settings. I disabled them because I find them ugly. Ten percent damage increase for golden guns is so little that it's not even worth mentioning in a discussion about upgrades. I generally don't like upgrades. They're dumb. If the enemies are getting stronger and you're upgrading along with them, nothing really changes, so why even feature upgrades? It unbalances earlier levels by making you too powerful, turns later enemies into bullet sponges, it's almost always unrealistic, and the menus are not fun to look at.

Almost every game has a story that disrupts the gameplay. (Bayonetta has longass cutscenes, in the opening, middle and end of levels. They're far more intrusive than Devil May Cry's. You can skip them, but then you miss the story.) Point is, Max Payne 3's gameplay is pure action.

I was just saying that the golden guns to indeed affect gameplay. Upgrades can be good when they aren't there just to add damage. You nailed on the head exactly why I find most RPG leveling pointless and just do nothing but waste the player's time because lots of video game RPGs do leveling wrong. The Souls series for example just has you up stats (on your character and weapons) for the single reason of keeping combat the same, you have level up to continue killing enemies in say 3 hits. Many JRPGs are the same way, especially the "classic" turn-based ones like the FF series. Whereas most WRPGs do it in an even worse way where you must constantly manage your inventory because you constantly pick up slightly better weapons where you now need level 5 daggers because you're level 5 and those level 4 daggers are shit now like how Geralt the MASTER Witcher can't use a level 2 sword at the beginning of Witcher 3 because your damage output must be controlled all game. I LOVE Borderlands character building with regards to the skill tress because that majorly changes gameplay but I HATE the loot system where you constantly replacing weapons and selling the garbage you pick up or your awesome shit that is no longer awesome an hour later.

But anyway back to action games. Getting new weapons that do different things and have different movesets is great. Getting new abilities/skills/powers is great. Sorta like how in Bioshock you can "build" your character around the wrench and make it the greatest weapon ever where you no longer have to sneak or shock/freeze enemies first to make the wrench useful. I'm not classifying Bioshock as really an action game but just listing an example of upgrades changing gameplay vs just getting 10% damage increases because the enemies get 10% HP increases.

I would say Max Payne 3 is mainly a shooter whereas a game like BulletStorm as you have more options than just move crosshair over enemy and press fire. I would even classify Uncharted as more of an action game than MP3 due to the greater movement and moving pieces within many of the levels. The shoot-dodge is really the only element making MP3 something other than a pure shooter IMO.

I seriously don't get why people think so highly of Max Payne's storytelling. I'm watching a YouTube video of the cutscenes to refresh my memory, and I just find them dull. It's so bland compared to classic film noir. And the endless theme music over every cutscene is grating.

Also, Max Payne 3 IS noir.

immortalfrieza:
the dialog is corny including Max's and a lot of it is in spanish yet doesn't even have subtitles

Well, DUH! Max is a foreigner. Why should there be subs? Do you ever watch foreign films with subs? If there are other languages in the film, they don't sub those. Also, they're not speaking Spanish. Portuguese is quite different.

Phoenixmgs:
I was just saying that the golden guns to indeed affect gameplay.

I didn't even notice. In fact I didn't even know that golden guns increase damage.

Ezekiel:
I seriously don't get why people think so highly of Max Payne's storytelling. I'm watching a YouTube video of the cutscenes to refresh my memory, and I just find them dull. It's so bland compared to classic film noir. And the endless theme music over every cutscene is grating.

Max Payne 2 story and setting are pretty cool, man.

Adam Jensen:

Ezekiel:

Max Payne 2 story and setting are pretty cool, man.

I like Max Payne 2, the setting, storytelling and gameplay. That's a game I can go back to. Max Payne 1 was meh. The conspiracy was meh. The characters were meh. The narration was so monotone. James McCaffrey got better at voice acting over the years.

I played it on PC, and mostly did lots of bullet dodging from cover to cover.

As to what I thought of the game, I thought the mechanics were just fine, as they were a continuation of MP 1 &2. The STORY however...ugh.

Ok so, whoever came up with the plot, was apparently a HUGE fan of the Denzel Washington movie Man On Fire. The direction of shots, camera angles, the same way it would go in and out of focus, how it would have the words being said show up on the screen from time to time. It was so Man On Fire that it kind of drove me nuts. Which sucks, because I LOVE Man On Fire. However, I don't want a Man On Fire story in my Max Payne. I want a kind of quirky, Film Noir, detective story, with lots of gun play. MP 3 is not that. Not even close.

And Max's personality throughout the game was horrible to deal with. He was so self-loathing, and self-destructive, that I just couldn't give a shit about his problems. I get they were going for the tortured soul of a grizzled combatant, but it totally underminded the ending of MP 2 for me. Where Max was able to find some redemption, and personal salvation, thanks to the love interest of the story.

I didn't finish the game, as I just got so annoyed with his behavior, which annoys me, because everyone says the final fight in the airport is fucking awesome, with the music playing from the trailer. I keep meaning to play it again, but I just never seem to get around to it.

Ezekiel:
I like Max Payne 2, the setting, storytelling and gameplay. That's a game I can go back to. Max Payne 1 was meh. The conspiracy was meh. The characters were meh. The narration was so monotone. James McCaffrey got better at voice acting over the years.

I agree with every word. I think that I replay MP2 at least once a year. It's that good for me.

Happyninja42:
And Max's personality throughout the game was horrible to deal with. He was so self-loathing, and self-destructive, that I just couldn't give a shit about his problems. I get they were going for the tortured soul of a grizzled combatant, but it totally underminded the ending of MP 2 for me. Where Max was able to find some redemption, and personal salvation, thanks to the love interest of the story.

Yup. His entire personality has been changed for the worse. And you can tell that Rockstar did the writing because they are utterly incapable of writing compelling characters these days. Their idea of a good, realistic character is someone who's so flawed, so damaged and so utterly unlikable, that they can't stop shoving their flaws in your face every five goddamn seconds.

Adam Jensen:

Ezekiel:

I agree with every word. I think that I replay MP2 at least once a year. It's that good for me.

Interestingly, I prefer MP 1 to 2. Aside for the song at the end of MP 2 (Late Goodbye, which is an awesome bit of outro music), I found it less enjoyable than MP 1.

Adam Jensen:

Happyninja42:

Yup. His entire personality has been changed for the worse. And you can tell that Rockstar did the writing because they are utterly incapable of writing compelling characters these days. Their idea of a good, realistic character is someone who's so flawed, so damaged and so utterly unlikable, that they can't stop shoving their flaws in your face every five goddamn seconds.

Pretty much yeah. I remember rolling my eyes multiple times during his "I suck at everything, everyone I come into contact with dies because of my actions. blah blah" moments, and yelling at him to shut up.

Happyninja42:
because everyone says the final fight in the airport is fucking awesome, with the music playing from the trailer.

That's not the final fight. The final fight is a cover section in a big hangar. But yeah, it is awesome, especially after you've gotten a good feel for the mechanics.

It's unfortunate that there aren't more open areas like that in the game.

Ezekiel:

Happyninja42:
because everyone says the final fight in the airport is fucking awesome, with the music playing from the trailer.

That's not the final fight. The final fight is a cover section in a big hangar. But yeah, it is awesome, especially after you've gotten a good feel for the mechanics.

Ok, I guess my location was wrong, but the scene everyone talked about, was...well wherever you fight, and they play this song during the fight. From the comments I've seen I was under the impression this was during the "airport" fight.

And I fucking love that song, so I would love to actually play a fight with that song as the soundtrack. I just...have to slog through a ton of Moody Max before I could. xD

Yes, it is in the airport. In the departure lounge. I'm just saying there's more airport after that. I enter the lounge with the music at 3:34.

I love the way CJacobsSA did it in his world record speed run.

https://youtu.be/EHGYLyWt8QM?t=2h3m37s

Ezekiel:

Happyninja42:

Is that the music from the game? My God...around 4:20 it makes me feel like I'm observing an assisted suicide going down at a rave while heavily sedated.

I do want to play this game though because MP2 is one of my favorite TPS in existence.

Played it on PS3 some years ago on normal difficulty or whatever it's called.

For the most part I liked it and replayed my favorite sections a bunch of times.

As for the story... I don't usually fixate on the story unless the game does, and if it's weak or derivative or whatever you want to call it I don't give it much of a hard time either, because most videogame stories are. But it really bugged me in Max Payne 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but the story goes that Max is out for revenge in the first game, and out for redemption in the second. Boom, full circle. That he's still trying to "redeem" himself in the third, and to do so over something that is nowhere near as personal or dramatic as what happened to him in the original games... I gotta call it pointless as well as repetitive, on top of Max himself being no fun. He comes across as too much of a bore and a spoilsport for his own good.

Good they keep bringing in James McCaffrey though.

literally the only thing I like about it is that it at least leaves Max with a little money and the hope that he can be happy again.

It's story just doesn't compare to the first two, and I hated the switch away from comic panels.

B-Cell:
quantum break doesnot have gears of war style cover system but a crouch mechanic.

It's automatic... That's a boring way to do it. Why does he need to crouch all the time? He even crouches when he's behind a pillar, as if only the bottom part will protect him.

Also, the recoil is crazy bad.

Also, why do the bullets get fatter as they travel?

Also, why can't I shoot without holding aim? I'm waiting to see what the shoot button does when you're not holding the right mouse button. Right now it doesn't do anything at all.

Why can't I turn off the disgusting motion blur?

The story so far has been unintentionally funny, with all the ridiculous time stuff.

I can't believe the heavy pistol only has four bullets.

Why is the cast from The Wire here?

Man, these cinematics are so frequent and LONG. Story seems to be going all over the place. What was the point of showing the henchman with his pregnant girlfriend/wife?

Okay, I'm seeing now that he's gonna be an important character. But this long-ass show isn't that interesting. Also, why do the live action cutscenes auto-resume after I Alt + Tab back to the game? I miss part of them because the screen is still black for like two seconds.

Lol, it's pretty obvious the fights are cut like this (chopped up) because the actors can't fight. Would have been easier as a CG cutscene.

Oh great, an upgrade menu now. I was hoping this wasn't one of those games. But the AAA action games are ALL like that now.

Remedy is overrated.

Adam Jensen:

Ezekiel:

I'm about two thirds of the way through my fourth playthrough. I like the story. The gameplay is pretty simplistic, but it's adequate. I like that I'm not being interrupted between every other room and that the cutscenes are never long. I'd rate Max Payne 2 and 3 almost evenly, for different reasons.

The dreams are better than in Max Payne 1, because there's no platforming. The narrow blood trails that you could fall off were retarded. Falling to your death in a dream is retarded. It also has a more interesting soundtrack. As I said, the theme in the original was so monotonous, being played through almost every cutscene if I remember correctly.

I don't find being able to carry all the weapons at once that great. Not because it's unrealistic, but because it takes longer to switch guns. In Max Payne 3, I can just pick up a gun and use that instantly, or switch by pressing the number key once, but in Max Payne 2, I have to press the number key to access the weapons type, press it once or twice more to get to the specific gun and then press the shoot button to select it. I don't get why people find this lengthier process so great and keep bitching about being limited to fewer guns in Uncharted and Max Payne 3. I mean, it's not like the guns have unique powers. You have your close range guns, your medium and your long range, but they all do the same thing. That said, the carry system in Max Payne 3 is still too limiting. I've been thinking of a way to expand it.

A realistic carry system. Not as restrictive as Max Payne 3 and Uncharted's. I don't know why guns don't have slings in games. I think Uncharted 4 is the only third-person shooter that does have slings. I just had an idea... You have a shotgun, rifle or grenade/rocket launcher slung over your shoulder. You can pick up and shoot a second two-handed weapon without dropping the one on your shoulder. To swap the one on your shoulder with the one in your hands, hold the number key for the two-handed weapon slot briefly. One-and-half seconds or less. If you want to hang the weapon you're picking up over your shoulder, hold the pick up key (F) briefly. This way, you can keep using the weapon that's currently in your hands while picking up a new one. Simple. Right? You would also be able to do this with the pistols and SMGs in your two holsters. When you press number key 1 or 2, the character holds the pistol or SMG in their right hand while holding the two-handed weapon down at their side, like in Max Payne 3. When you press number 3, the character drops the two-handed weapon and dual wields his pistols/SMGs, again like in Max Payne 3. You can also drop weapons manually. In Max Payne 3, I have that assigned to the second side button of my mouse (MB5).

Full post: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/which-genres-do-you-want-to-make-a-comeback.117445/page-3#post-5226305

So, I originally typed the post below for B-Cell in another thread, but then I worked it into a blog-like post and added to it so much that it felt wasted in a thread not about Max Payne 3. I'm also posting it here because I now like the original Max Payne, after replaying it. I don't want anyone seeing this thread to think I hate the game. I have a feeling this lengthy write-up will be ignored anyway, but it's my thread.

HOW MAX PAYNE 3 COMPARES TO THE ORIGINAL, AND A LOOK AT ITS MULTIPLAYER

I like the stories of Max Payne 2 and 3 better than the original game's. I find their tones more consistent. Max Payne 1 does have an interesting enough story, but it's pretty out there, with a government conspiracy, a secret underground base you'd expect in James Bond, super soldiers and a lot of other stuff that isn't quite noir. I'm not gonna gonna go into a lot of detail about the story, since it's pretty subjective and the fans will never agree with me anyway. I also know the original doesn't want to be taken too seriously. It's almost satirical at times. The writing of Max Payne 3 is... alright. Dan Houser doesn't write very good dialogue. James McCaffrey delivers his lines well overall. His acting has improved and he sounds less monotone than in the original. Although, maybe that was intentional.

Max Payne's cities always had strong atmosphere with an impressive attention to detail, and Max Payne 3's are no exception. But I preferred the cities of the previous games because there weren't so many interruptions and the encounters weren't so segmented. Not just enemy encounters, but friendlies too. You could go near them without a cutscene and listen to some amusing dialogues. This is almost entirely gone in Max Payne 3. You can still interact with objects (clues), but you only hear Max's monologues the first time you discover them. Doesn't matter if you're replaying a level. The only solutions are deleting your save file or watching them on YouTube. It's been so long since I interacted with them that I can't possibly remember what he says.

The soundtrack is more varied and the presentation is impressive. I like the comic book panels from the first two games, but I see them as a limitation of the time. I have no problem with the cutscenes, aside from them not being skippable and being videos instead of in-engine footage. Max Payne 3 tries to pay homage to the comic book cutscenes by sometimes placing scenes over each other with tiles.

Bullet time was improved in the two sequels. Shoot dodge didn't let you jump far enough in the original, and when you landed, there weren't the satisfying body on environmental reactions from Max Payne 3. Can you slide down slanted surfaces in Max Payne 1? I don't remember. The physics and weighty animations are a huge part of Max Payne 3. Enemies react to every bullet before and after they're dead.

I like the temporary carry system from Max Payne 3 better. You see, it takes longer to switch weapons with the permanent carry system. You need to press the number key once to select the weapon type and then a few more times to select the specific weapon within that category. Switching weapons in Max Payne 3 is instantaneous. Max Payne 3 has a lot more guns and on average I use more of them by picking up and dropping them. The attachments button is a missed opportunity. It would have been nice if instead of just being able to turn laser sights off and on, you could also fire grenades with mounted launchers.

The optional zoom and the shoulder swapping are great additions, and although I don't use the cover system very much, it has been very useful to me in both single player and multiplayer.

The biggest problem of Max Payne 3's gameplay is that you don't get enough opportunities to experiment, as the action is separated by too many cutscenes and the levels are less open. My New York Minute Hardcore run had only 84 minutes of gameplay. My individual level speedruns combined are much shorter than that. You barely get any opportunities to try out the sniper rifles. In Max Payne 1, you had a few open areas for them. Max is a beast in this game. It's almost disappointing how quickly the gunfights end. As I was playing Dead Men Walking (which pits you against endless enemies in a big map) for two and a half hours yesterday, I noticed that the enemies don't know your position unless they see you. I was able to get up behind them and shoot them in the back. You never see this kind of AI in the game because the levels are so linear and the gunfights are over so quickly.

Thankfully, Max Payne 3 finally has the multiplayer that Remedy said they wanted to implement since the first game. Most people will not have the skill and PATIENCE for it. Until a few months ago, I didn't want to play the multiplayer, because I was getting killed far too quickly and often, and I hated the items other players were using. I still very much dislike the bomb suit and sawn off and I take issue with rocket launchers killing me through objects, but they're not used so often that I'm gonna quit. As I find the rocket launcher and grenade launcher cheap, I only use the ones I find on bodies. After firing the explosive, I pick up my gun again. Something I also dislike is how easily visible the name tags and health bars over enemy players are. They don't show through objects, but it still gives your position away too easily at a distance. I think the Hardcore modes remove this, but nobody plays them.

I still have a kill-death ratio of 0.9, meaning I've died more than killed. But I'm having fun. Most of the time... The multiplayer is where the mechanics really shine. It gave me a better appreciation of the different guns' recoil, accuracy, range, power and the reduced accuracy of dual wielding, among other minute details. The levels are big and open enough that you actually have an opportunity to use the sniper rifles. And they're kind of awesome, since the hip fire accuracy is high, even with the dot in the middle of the screen gone. I mean, in what but the Max Payne games can you do this with a sniper rifle?

In a match with a kill ratio of 21:6, I was able to kill 11 of them without my scope, using that bolt-action rifle. Didn't matter if I was shoot dodging or running around. Didn't matter if the enemies were fifteen meters away. Most players don't realize that the sniper rifles are that accurate, since the hip fire accuracy is usually so poor in other games. I love that stuff. In fact, I wish every shooter kept the dot there when not using the scope (unless there's no dot to begin with).

The levels are also big enough that two-handed weapons have a bigger advantage over pistols, which don't have far enough range in a lot of situations.

The dodge roll is now essential (as you can see in the clip below), the sprint is faster, the crouch is more useful and you can actually throw grenades! Two grenades. The body armor that can be worn in one single player level (the police station) is now a useful item. You have three types of ballistic vests you can wear, whose weight affects health regeneration and stamina regeneration.

You can loot bodies for adrenaline, cash, ammo and painkillers. You can carry up to one bottle of painkillers (unless you equip "Pill Bottle" as part of your loadout), and if you have a bottle on you when you die, you go into last stand, like in single player. The difference is that last stand doesn't put you in slow motion and it doesn't just take one bullet to kill your attacker, so most of the time you will still die.

Adrenaline allows you to use slow motion. You can aim faster than other players while in slow mo. You get adrenaline for killing and, as I said before, you sometimes find it on bodies. There are a bunch of different "perks," abilities that you can use as you rack up kills, but I just use "Bullet Time," because it allows me to go into slow mo with the slow mo button instead of just while shoot dodging.

I also much prefer the manual melee in the multiplayer over the automatic, cinematic one in the single player. It's quicker and it feels powerful. But your character doesn't take the enemy's weapon out of their hands during the melee.

Segmenting the multiplayer into so many different menus was a dumb idea, however. If they had just made one menu from which you can view all the active games of all game types, like in every other decently thought out multiplayer game, people would be more inclined to play. No one wants to wait, not knowing if anyone will join. Making different lobbies for free aim and soft lock only segments the community further. Just remove lock on already. GTA IV didn't need it, Red Dead Redemption didn't need it, GTA V didn't need it and Max Payne 3 doesn't need it. I never used it in any of those games, and I'm not even that great a player.

The game also doesn't inform you of kick votes, so if you're too good and your opponents are sore losers, you can be kicked before you even know that a vote was cast against you. You need to go into the (Esc) menu and select "Vote Kick" to know if any votes are being cast.

Also...

Casual Shinji:
Though with the way Max lands like a wet slab of newspaper during a dive and then proceeds to rise like a crippled horse, this is probably not what you want to do anyway.

The standing up animation is fine.

He stands up quicker if you continue moving after the shoot dodge, using his momentum. If you're just lying there, then you're fair game as far as I'm concerned.

My girlfriend is playing on easy mode + soft lock (free aim was too much) and liking it. Every time she plays a new game she tends to play like she did the one before, and she just finished Spec Ops, so she's hanging back and taking cover on every shootout. She's about Chapter IV and has used bullet time twice I think. Whatever works I guess.

I think it would've been cool if cover was more destructive. It would've given more incentive to use BT/SD, which is what MP is all about. It's way more fun that way. I recently got back into it and am a bit into Part 3, just after the yacht engine room. The game shines the most when the environments are large enough to allow SD without bumping into anything before landing. It seems a good chunk of the levels were designed around using cover, which also leads to janky camera movement in close quarters. That would be my biggest gameplay complaint.

I love the carry system, and appreciate the limit, as long as you get to keep your favorite guns as long as you like. That makes it tough though when ammo drops are sparse. I don't like the idea of carrying more than you visually see on the character for shooter like this, as it kills immersion and even strategy. The "tons of guns" philosophy is only good for arena shooters imo.

I like Ezekiel's idea of the modified carry system above, but also it would be cool if # keys 1&2 were reserved for a two-gun sling, and the respective draw would correspond to which one you pressed. Maybe some cases call for just one small arm, and you could two-hand aim for better focus, control, etc. 2 is dual wield for more enemies, 3 is rifle/shotgun/etc., 4 could be special weapons. I could elaborate more later when I have more time to think.

I realized the other night that I might have been too harsh regarding the cutscenes in this game, as it's very possible the style was chosen deliberately to reflect Max's half drunken, burnt out state of mind. When thought of that way, they make perfect sense, and give me a new appreciation for the game's storytelling. I can empathize with Max, and the game does a great job of making you feel like a half-broken badass trying to eek out some redemption. Funny, this game seems more derserving of that title than Red Dead to me because Max's narration is far more effective than all the tripe that John Marston spewed in-game.

Closing in on the last chapter and the game just seems to be getting better and better. Hopefully the finale doesn't disappoint. I'm actually enjoying it enough to consider an unlocked difficulty playthrough, which I only reserve for a precision few.

Oh, and I really like the game's main menu. The music, the dynamic background, it's all damn classy.

I played through it in its entirety at least 3 times, and repeated many levels to get the golden guns.
Played it on PC shortly after playing MP 1 & 2 for the first time, and I just played it like I played those. Sure I used the aiming function a fair few times, but almost never the cover mechanic, I even made it my mission statement in my hard playthrough to not use the 'glue yourself to' cover function as it just didn't feel right with where the series came from.

Overall it was a nice gameplay experience, but I thought that it faltered greatly in story and I had major problems with how it handled Max after the events of Max Payne 2 since it had a pretty solid ending which left little room for a sequel, and certainly a sequel that too his character in the direction they did in Max Payne 3.

Ezekiel:

I have no problem with the cutscenes, aside from them not being skippable and being videos instead of in-engine footage.

Maybe not all, but there are still quite a few in-game cutscenes, because quite often I see the "Skip" icon in the bottom right corner, and he's still carrying the last weapon you're using, which looks cool. The disappointing thing though is that if there was a shift in story then you'll lose that weapon. I really have some favorite guns which I would've liked to have used more often.

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:

I have no problem with the cutscenes, aside from them not being skippable and being videos instead of in-engine footage.

Maybe not all, but there are still quite a few in-game cutscenes, because quite often I see the ?Skip? icon in the bottom right corner, and he?s still carrying the last weapon you?re using, which looks cool. The disappointing thing though is that if there was a shift in story then you?ll lose that weapon. I really have some favorite guns which I would?ve liked to have used more often.

Yeah, not all. Aside from the "Skip" button, you can tell which cutscenes are in-engine because they're a lot cleaner. It's a waste to have 8 GB of compressed looking videos when Rockstar's open world games had cutscenes that were, if I remember right, all rendered in real time. I'm also not a fan of the "Skip" button icon that appears in so many games now. If I'm playing for the story, I don't want distractions.

hanselthecaretaker:
I think it would?ve been cool if cover was more destructive. It would?ve given more incentive to use BT/SD, which is what MP is all about. It?s way more fun that way. I recently got back into it and am a bit into Part 3, just after the yacht engine room. The game shines the most when the environments are large enough to allow SD without bumping into anything before landing. It seems a good chunk of the levels were designed around using cover, which also leads to janky camera movement in close quarters. That would be my biggest gameplay complaint.

That's how I played it years ago, but there aren't very many waist-high objects that you need to hide behind. With the higher objects and walls, you can simply position yourself next to them and slowly strafe with the aim button. I think the default controls have shoulder swapping on key V. Or was it H? Considering how closed in the environments are, it seems nuts to me to have the shoulder swap button that far away. I switched it to Z.

While looking for the default button, I learned Red Dead Redemption has shoulder swapping. I forgot about that. Why is this feature not in GTA? Seems like it would be more beneficial in GTA, which isn't set mostly in open wildernesses.

I love the carry system, and appreciate the limit, as long as you get to keep your favorite guns as long as you like. That makes it tough though when ammo drops are sparse. I don?t like the idea of carrying more than you visually see on the character for shooter like this, as it kills immersion and even strategy. The ?tons of guns? philosophy is only good for arena shooters imo.

I like Ezekiel?s idea of the modified carry system above, but also it would be cool if # keys 1&2 were reserved for a two-gun sling, and the respective draw would correspond to which one you pressed. Maybe some cases call for just one small arm, and you could two-hand aim for better focus, control, etc. 2 is dual wield for more enemies, 3 is rifle/shotgun/etc., 4 could be special weapons. I could elaborate more later when I have more time to think.

I want to understand this idea, but your wording is slightly confusing.

RanD00M:
Overall it was a nice gameplay experience, but I thought that it faltered greatly in story and I had major problems with how it handled Max after the events of Max Payne 2 since it had a pretty solid ending which left little room for a sequel, and certainly a sequel that too his character in the direction they did in Max Payne 3.

Because the first two games are a perfect dyptich of revenge and redemption. All the third game can think about is do the redemption story over, only with different characters, a different setting and a less than personal focus on Max.

Haven't finished it. I'm stuck and keep getting killed in this one spot so I gave up for now.

I do want to get back into it as it is that terrific. Wish there were cheats.

I'm playing on PC (Steam).

Gorfias:
Wish there were cheats.

Switch to auto-aim?

Johnny Novgorod:

Gorfias:
Wish there were cheats.

Switch to auto-aim?

I think I'm there. G-d mode would help :-)

Ezekiel:

Yeah I only had time to jot down initial thoughts and I never returned to it. Instead of having a dedicated dual wield # key (3), I would just make 1 & 2 be the respectively holster-able sidearm slots and allow a more dynamic draw. You could press them simultaneously if you wanted to dual wield instantly, or use them independently of each other as you see fit. Key takeaway is drawing one wouldn't automatically holster the other. I also don't understand why so many games have a separate button for holstering. Just press the # key again. As for sidearm pickups, it would always default to replacing the #1 slot, but if you had only #2 drawn it would replace that instead.

#3 would be for various two-handed weapons, with the shoulder sling idea. My problem is the more I think about it the more detailed and strategic it's bound to get. For example, say you're dual wielding sidearms, but then want to pick up a rifle without dropping one or more of them. Do you make the controls so you can't pick up a two-handed weapon at all until you holster at least one sidearm, or do you make it so that the pickup hand sidearm is dropped while picking it up? I think I would pick neither and just automatically have the game holster both sidearms in order to start using the two-handed weapon pickup. No need to get too deep into simulation territory for a stylistic TPS.

An interesting strategic option I thought of though would be that you wouldn't be able to carry it upon selecting another weapon until you held down #3 key, which would effectively attach the sling through a two seconds-tops animation sequence. It would have to be repeated for each unique two-handed weapon. Also, if you were wielding a sidearm(s), I'd make it so you'd have to hold the pickup key down to holster them before picking up the two-handed weapon, or you would simply drop them if just quick pressing the pickup key.

#4 would be for grenades or other throwables/explosives, which I thought would've been cool in story mode. I like the idea of equipping them like a normal weapon and using one LMB click to pull the pin, then moving the mouse to aim the throw, and releasing LMB to release. RMB could be a quick toss wherever you're aiming, similar to blind fire.

I finally finished story mode by the way. Once those long credits were through I immediately went to start an Old School playthrough. I surprisingly breezed through the first chapter. On the difficulty select it's beyond Hardcore, but I'm not sure which is supposed to be the most difficult. I skipped Hardcore because I figured what's the point if Old School is the last difficulty level. I also like the idea of it, as Last Man Standing would sometimes obfuscate the viewpoint rendering it useless. It also looked odd being able to shoot someone before you were even aiming at them because your animation wasn't always matching the reticle speed.

Also curious about trying NYM mode. It'll be a while before I'm ready to even think of NYMH. I will also have to try some of the arcade modes if there are any. I'd love it if there was an area of the game where you can use your favorite weapons as much as you'd like.

I only have one achievement left. I never thought I would make it this far. Partly because NYMH seemed way too hard when I was still a noob and partly 'cause I wasn't enjoying the seemingly dead multiplayer before 2017. The one I still need to do is "Express Checkout," but for that I need four other people who own the DLC. We have three who are willing to try tomorrow. Rockstar must have known that people couldn't get all of these without boosting them. Few people ever play the Imperial Palace map, so it's impossible to kill four players within three seconds without them willing to die. I did get most of them without boosting, though.

Johnny Novgorod:
Because the first two games are a perfect dyptich of revenge and redemption. All the third game can think about is do the redemption story over, only with different characters, a different setting and a less than personal focus on Max.

Not only that, but having Max become a drunken, pill abusing, sad sack, goes against how Max Payne 2 ended. The last line in the entire game [MP2 that is] is "I had a dream of my wife. She was dead. But it was all right" which seems to indicate that he is on the road to betterment and that he won't wallow in misery anymore, which according to MP3 is exactly what he did.

hanselthecaretaker:

Ezekiel:

Yeah I only had time to jot down initial thoughts and I never returned to it. Instead of having a dedicated dual wield # key (3), I would just make 1 & 2 be the respectively holster-able sidearm slots and allow a more dynamic draw. You could press them simultaneously if you wanted to dual wield instantly, or use them independently of each other as you see fit. Key takeaway is drawing one wouldn't automatically holster the other. I also don't understand why so many games have a separate button for holstering. Just press the # key again. As for sidearm pickups, it would always default to replacing the #1 slot, but if you had only #2 drawn it would replace that instead.

I never even considered pressing both buttons simultaneously. Nifty!

#3 would be for various two-handed weapons, with the shoulder sling idea. My problem is the more I think about it the more detailed and strategic it's bound to get. For example, say you're dual wielding sidearms, but then want to pick up a rifle without dropping one or more of them. Do you make the controls so you can't pick up a two-handed weapon at all until you holster at least one sidearm, or do you make it so that the pickup hand sidearm is dropped while picking it up? I think I would pick neither and just automatically have the game holster both sidearms in order to start using the two-handed weapon pickup. No need to get too deep into simulation territory for a stylistic TPS.

Yeah, that would be how I'd to it too. Automatically holster both sidearms when picking up a two-handed gun. With your simultaneous button press idea, I also thought of letting you dual wield two handed guns with pistols, but that would just get too complicated again, and unbalance the game.

An interesting strategic option I thought of though would be that you wouldn't be able to carry it upon selecting another weapon until you held down #3 key, which would effectively attach the sling through a two seconds-tops animation sequence. It would have to be repeated for each unique two-handed weapon. Also, if you were wielding a sidearm(s), I'd make it so you'd have to hold the pickup key down to holster them before picking up the two-handed weapon, or you would simply drop them if just quick pressing the pickup key.

#4 would be for grenades or other throwables/explosives, which I thought would've been cool in story mode. I like the idea of equipping them like a normal weapon and using one LMB click to pull the pin, then moving the mouse to aim the throw, and releasing LMB to release. RMB could be a quick toss wherever you're aiming, similar to blind fire.

I've also been thinking of pickup keys for ammo. A few shooters do that, mostly multiplayer ones (and Crysis), but it's pretty uncommon, perhaps for good reason. It would add more risk and strategy. I might make the key separate from the gun pickup key, just to prevent unintended pickups. Unlike in Crysis, you of course wouldn't need to look down at the ground to pick up the ammo. The benefits of third person...

I finally finished story mode by the way. Once those long credits were through I immediately went to start an Old School playthrough. I surprisingly breezed through the first chapter. On the difficulty select it's beyond Hardcore, but I'm not sure which is supposed to be the most difficult. I skipped Hardcore because I figured what's the point if Old School is the last difficulty level. I also like the idea of it, as Last Man Standing would sometimes obfuscate the viewpoint rendering it useless. It also looked odd being able to shoot someone before you were even aiming at them because your animation wasn't always matching the reticle speed.

Someone told me Hardcore is harder than Old School, but it's beeen so lng since I played Hardcore that I don't remember. Apparently, they balanced Old School so that you wouldn't die too much without last stand.

Also curious about trying NYM mode. It'll be a while before I'm ready to even think of NYMH. I will also have to try some of the arcade modes if there are any. I'd love it if there was an area of the game where you can use your favorite weapons as much as you'd like.

I feel bad for advising you not to get the DLC now. Dead Men Walking is the closest thing to what you're looking for. As I said, it's bugged for A LOT of people. I can play it by myself in Private Match or with another person if they invite me, but Hoboken crashes my game. Only Tiete River Docks works for me. You fight endless waves of enemies in Dead Men Walking, using whatever guns you find. Most of the weapons are there. The DLC that features Dead Men Walking also includes Arcade Mode, where you have to complete specific tasks within a time limit to get to the next checkpoint of the story. Tasks include headshots only, groin shots only, no damage and shoot dodge kills only. You have unlimited do-overs.

^This sounds almost sadistically difficult. It's too bad about the bugs too, which leads me to more contentment that I never planned to 100% this game. I really don't play much MP, and it sounds like it's at least as challenging/rigorous in that respect as the GTA games. I'd be happy to just beat all the difficulties and perhaps some day down the road, NYMH. I've heard they are technically Medium difficulty, but the "Hardcore" is just having to do the whole game on one life, vs the chapter select for NYM, if that's correct?

hanselthecaretaker:
^This sounds almost sadistically difficult. It's too bad about the bugs too, which leads me to more contentment that I never planned to 100% this game. I really don't play much MP, and it sounds like it's at least as challenging/rigorous in that respect as the GTA games. I'd be happy to just beat all the difficulties and perhaps some day down the road, NYMH. I've heard they are technically Medium difficulty, but the "Hardcore" is just having to do the whole game on one life, vs the chapter select for NYM, if that's correct?

Yes, you get one life in New York Minute, including in the individual chapters. Score Attack has continues. Did you play New York Minute in the old games?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here