Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

and probably would have sold much more if people could easily find them in stores.

B-b-b-but artificial scarcity and such. Switch isn't doing as well as Nintendo says it is!

so to everyone who completelt dismissed the 2 million launch sales as "launch day hype", is this still a fluke launch now? :3

So you trying to gloat or something? The Switch is a fantastic console, that doesn't yet have a games library yet. Look the Wii U didn't fail because it sold like shit, it failed because there wasn't game support for it. Because as confusing and poorly marketed the Wii U was, it still would have sold plenty if it had games that people wanted.

Let's see the Switch get the games that were promised for it. Then we can talk.

CritialGaming:
So you trying to gloat or something? The Switch is a fantastic console, that doesn't yet have a games library yet. Look the Wii U didn't fail because it sold like shit, it failed because there wasn't game support for it. Because as confusing and poorly marketed the Wii U was, it still would have sold plenty if it had games that people wanted.

We already have Zelda, Arms & Splatoon 2 all great titles and all new 1st party games, then we have Mario & Rabbids at the end of next month, Then Mario Odyssey in October, and we still have Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 set for 2017.

what games exactly do you want?

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

We already have Zelda, Arms & Splatoon 2 all great titles and all new 1st party games, then we have Mario & Rabbids at the end of next month, Then Mario Odyssey in October, and we still have Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade 2 set for 2017.

what games exactly do you want?

Arms and Splatoon 2 are great, but they are also short-lived and shallow experiences. The Switch is obviously going to get strong Nintendo games. But we've already seen for the past three generations that Nintendo consoles cannot live on 1st party software. They need third party support, which is something i don't think they are ever going to get when they keep releasing consoles that don't have the computing power needed to even be on par with the other consoles in the field.

There is a reason we can't even get PS4 or Xbone ports. The console scant handle those games. So instead the Switch needs to get ports of old mobile games, or PS3/360 era games.

Just because you sell a shitload of consoles, doesn't mean the console was a success....well to the company maybe, but not for the players.

I want new third party games to come for this thing. Of course we'll get the same shit we get every nintendo generation. Mario, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, ya-da-ya-da. But where is the outside support. Square-Enix promised a new JRPG for the thing, pre-release. Yet we haven't heard shit about that. Where are the games man?

Granted Mario+Rabids will probably be good. If it does piggy back on a Nintendo IP, it's technically a 3rd party game. And I hope it give Ubisoft the confidence to make more Switch games.

Look Yoshi. I get it. You LOVE Nintendo. I USED to love Nintendo, but their business lately has done nothing but upset and dissappoint people.

Yoshi178:
What games exactly do you want?

I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll just be blunt about it.

F-Zero, Wave Race and 1080. You know which games I'm talking about.

If not for EA and Disney controlling the license, I'd also ask for Star Wars, in particular a Rogue Squadron Trilogy HD, and possibly a remaster of Episode 1: Racer.

And if they could somehow get the standalone version of Modern Warfare Remastered onto the Switch, I'd actually be kinda happy about that.

What would be REALLY off the wall and unexpected would be to somehow get a hold of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown and get it ported over. Throw in a four-player split-screen capability with both cooperative and competitive modes, and you'd have a killer of a game.

CritialGaming:

We all know there's not going to be any major change on the games side. Although, who would've expected them to make another Kirby that isn't a gimmick.

I'll be interested though to see how it'll continue to exist alongside the 3DS, which Nintendo seems to be very strict about keeping seperate. Because I think the only thing that'll give the Switch any sort of long lasting appeal is its portability. So how are these two portable devices going to exist next to eachother?

CritialGaming:
Just because you sell a shitload of consoles, doesn't mean the console was a success....well to the company maybe, but not for the players.

The original Wii is the perfect example of that. Sure it printed money for Nintendo but any gamer would say the PS3 or 360 had much much much much better libraries. And even with the Wii having the biggest install base of that gen, the vast majority of that base didn't really buy games, thus publishers didn't release games for the system. Although if the Wii was on the same hardware level of the PS3/360, it probably would've gotten ports because the ports would've been much less costly to produce so publisher attitudes would've been "why not?" with that huge install base, let's throw some cheap ass paint at the wall and if just a little bit sticks we'll make some money.

CritialGaming:

Arms and Splatoon 2 are great, but they are also short-lived and shallow experiences.

tell that to the millions of Japanese that played the original Splatoon endlessly and the 3000 Japanese that lined up at one single store just to try and get 1 of 250 Switch consoles right before Splatoon 2's launch

CritialGaming:
There is a reason we can't even get PS4 or Xbone ports. The console scant handle those games. So instead the Switch needs to get ports of old mobile games, or PS3/360 era games.

I want new third party games to come for this thing.

We aren't? last i checked Switch was getting Minecraft, Sonic Forces, Fifa 18, WWE 2K18 and Rocket League WITH cross platform play support that isn't on the PS4

CritialGaming:
I want new third party games to come for this thing. Of course we'll get the same shit we get every nintendo generation. Mario, Fire Emblem, Monster Hunter, Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid, ya-da-ya-da. But where is the outside support. Square-Enix promised a new JRPG for the thing, pre-release. Yet we haven't heard shit about that. Where are the games man?

We haven't had a proper Metroid game that everyone has been screaming and yelling at Nintendo for in 10 years, the last metroid game was a spin off everyone hated and the last console metroid game was 7 years ago and well, we all know what everyone thought of Other M.

Monster Hunter is 3rd Party and we aren't getting that actually, at least not in the West on Switch. the next Monster Hunter game is going to be on the PS4. and i could say the EXACT same type of drivel about Sony. "Of course we'll get the same shit we get every Sony generation. Uncharted, Rathet & Clank, Killzone, God of War, The Not So Last of Us, Blah blah blah

Phoenixmgs:
Sure it printed money for Nintendo but any gamer would say the PS3 or 360 had much much much much better libraries.

bit strange that a shitload of "PS3 Haz No Gamez" memes were born around the same time as the PS3 launch then isn't it don't you think?

American Tanker:
I know this isn't directed at me, but I'll just be blunt about it.

F-Zero, Wave Race and 1080. You know which games I'm talking about.

No i don't know which games you're talking about because the games Gamers used to scream and cry about for years were F-Zero, Metroid and Starfox and we've got 2 out of 3 of franchises back. Starfox came back on the Wii U and we're getting not 1, but 2 Metroid games coming now after gamers bitched and moaned for a decade about not getting a new "proper" metroid game.

all you've done is replace Metroid and Starfox with Wave Race and 1080. sorry but we're not going to get EVERY single Nintendo franchise on one console and especial lily not at all at launch.

if you expect Nintendo release a game in every franchise all the time, why do gamers not expect new games in every Sony and Xbox franchise to be released all the time? last i checked Sony hasn't made a new Spyro, Medievil or Devil Dice Game. and Xbox hasn't released a new Conker, Perfect Dark or Banjo Kazooie Game recently at all.

Yoshi178:
We aren't? last i checked Switch was getting Minecraft, Sonic Forces, Fifa 18, WWE 2K18 and Rocket League WITH cross platform play support that isn't on the PS4

What platform doesn't have Minecraft? How long ago was the last good Sonic game? FIFA is still on last-gen systems so that's an easy port to the Switch. WWE doesn't have a Switch release date so people that want it will buy it on another platform, thus the Switch version will sell poorly thereby making publishers feel (rightly or wrongly) that Switch versions can't sell enough thereby causing the Switch to get less games ("All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again"). And, Rocket League is 2 years old already and PS4 users can play with PC users so the PS4 version does have cross platform support. It's like when the announcements of the WiiU versions of Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City were meant with the following...

Nintendo releasing a console with comparable power would solve their 3rd party issues yet they've done the same thing 3 times in a row now and you expect different results? That's the definition of some word that's on the tip of my tongue... Whereas I'm pretty sure Nintendo is perfectly fine with the status quo as they are making money with the status quo.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
Sure it printed money for Nintendo but any gamer would say the PS3 or 360 had much much much much better libraries.

bit strange that a shitload of "PS3 Haz No Gamez" memes were born around the same time as the PS3 launch then isn't it don't you think?

Most consoles have a shit lineup for the 1st year or so. If Sony operated like Nintendo, they would've screwed over their customers by moving The Last of Us to the PS4 for a killer launch title and then released it later for PS3 like Nintendo did for Twilight Princess...

Gamers knew the PS3 was going to get games along with getting 3rd party support so even if say Sony's offerings disappointed they still had the Maddens, CODs, GTAs, Fallouts/Skyrims, etc. to fall back on. Hell, the WiiU IMO had the best library for the first year or two of this gen, and look at it now... The 1st quarter of this year having a treasure trove of solid releases and only one of them was playable on a Nintendo console.

CritialGaming:

The wii u failed because it didn't have a cool enough gimmick. The Wii only needed one game to sell like crack cocaine. Wii sports was packed into the system. The PS2 was the weakest of its generation and slaughtered the Dream Cast and Gamecube because of Hype and a DVD player. If you want your console to sell you need a good gimmick and hype which the Switch has.

Casual Shinji:

CritialGaming:

We all know there's not going to be any major change on the games side. Although, who would've expected them to make another Kirby that isn't a gimmick.

I'll be interested though to see how it'll continue to exist alongside the 3DS, which Nintendo seems to be very strict about keeping seperate. Because I think the only thing that'll give the Switch any sort of long lasting appeal is its portability. So how are these two portable devices going to exist next to eachother?

Sort of Separate the Monster Hunter XX will work cross platform between the 3DS and Switch. Although Capcom isn't porting it to the West.

Yoshi178:

Not really considering it's common knowledge the first two years of the PS3 were a shitshow. Which they then also miraculously bounced back from, going from the most hated console that generation to overtaking the 360. The Wii never really got rid of its image problem though.

Phoenixmgs:
Most consoles have a shit lineup for the 1st year or so. If Sony operated like Nintendo, they would've screwed over their customers by moving The Last of Us to the PS4 for a killer launch title and then released it later for PS3 like Nintendo did for Twilight Princess...

Can't remember if it released at the same time, but at the very least Nintendo didn't remove features (camera control) from the Gamecube version of TP just so the Wii version didn't look shittier by comparison. Which is exactly what they did with Breath of the Wild, which obviously had tablet features to make item management easier. But then the Switch version would've appeared lacking, so they kneecapped BotW on the Wii-U. The final insult to all those people that bought their system.

Yoshi178:
last i checked Sony hasn't made a new Spyro

Yeah, I wonder why that is...

Phoenixmgs:
[
What platform doesn't have Minecraft? How long ago was the last good Sonic game? FIFA is still on last-gen systems so that's an easy port to the Switch. WWE doesn't have a Switch release date so people that want it will buy it on another platform, thus the Switch version will sell poorly thereby making publishers feel (rightly or wrongly) that Switch versions can't sell enough thereby causing the Switch to get less games ("All of this has happened before, and all of this will happen again"). And, Rocket League is 2 years old already and PS4 users can play with PC users so the PS4 version does have cross platform support. It's like when the announcements of the WiiU versions of Mass Effect 3 and Batman Arkham City were meant with the following...

Just because they aren't 3rd Party games that YOU want doesn't mean jack. it is still way better 3rd Party support than what the Wii U had. the Wii U had Batman, Ass Creed, Fifa and Mass Effect and those failed yes. but guess what? those 3rd party releases were half assed shitty ports by the developers that were missing HEAPS of features that the PS4 and Xbox One versions were missing, not just graphical downgrades.

Let's look at these 3rd Party releases coming out for the Switch now shall we. Sonic Forces will be exactly the same game as whats on the Xbone and PS4 with worse graphics, but the Switch version of Sonic Forces is portable and the Xbone and PS4 versions aren't. graphics vs portability is literally the only trade off with that game.

Rocket League has PS4 cross play with PC yeah, but Sony are deciding to be butts and won't let PS4 owners crossplay with the evil Xbox corporation will they? Nintendo on the other hand is letting players cross play Rocket League, the exact same version of the game, with EVERY other platform that allows it including Xbox, Sonys just scared of dealing with the evil competition. so that's already better 3rd Party support for Nintendo on Switches part.

And FIFA 18? hmmm let's see now, that was reported to be another case of Graphics vs portability. content wise though, when FIFA released on Wii U, we were given the 360/PS3 version with all of the Xbone PS4 features missing because they were 2 different games. FIFA 18 on the Switch though, this is literally the EXACT same game with all of the online and multiplayer features. what are the only differences between the Switch version of FIFA now with the PS4 and Xbone versions?
it has a lower graphics or framerate or something and the ONLY gameplay mode that's missing from the Switch version is the campaign story mode, and who actually gives shit about the campaign and plays FIFA just for the campaign? basically no one. FIFA is first and foremost a multiplayer sports game and always will be, the campaign is a complete afterthought by EA.

Phoenixmgs:

LOL nah instead Sony just waited for you Sony fans to blow all of your money on the PS3 version only to less than 12 months later go "oh ACTUALLY btw guys, you wasted your money and bought the shitty version of The Last of Us on 'the PS3. the actual definitive version of this game is coming to PS4 remastered only several months after launch. plz buy this version guys to get the TRUE last of us experience!"

Phoenixmgs:
Gamers knew the PS3 was going to get games along with getting 3rd party support

well duh playstation have always had good 3rd party support since the PS1 days. of course people should expect Sony to have good 3rd party support.

Nintendo hasn't had a good history with 3rd parties since the SNES days though. so obviously people would be hesitant to trust that they'll receive good 3rd party support on the current, modern day nintendo system. why do you think Nintendo is trying to win back 3rd party back at the moment? that flood of 3rd party AAA support isn't just going to come back at the snap of Nintendos fingers though like you're expecting it to at the moment. Nintendo has to win back the trust of both the consumers AND the 3rd parties. 3rd parties aren't just going to drop everything and put all their big AAA games they've spent shitloads of money developing onto a platform they haven't succeeded selling things on in the past

those games like Skyrim, FIFA and Minecraft are quite obviously testing grounds 3rd parties have set for Nintendos system. in the Bethesdas head with Skyrim they're probably going "ok we'll put something thats sold heaps and has been around for while on the Switch to test and see if we can sell it there. if it does sell heaps of copies there then awesome we'll consider putting more time and money into putting more current games on the Switch. if Skyrim sell, then oh well who gives a crap? we didn't lose much money anyway cause its just a port of a really old game that doesn't require anywhere near as much time or money as our current projects are. we just won't waste anymore time or money cause we don't have to"

my point is it's not JUST about graphics and power for 3rd parties. they need sales as well. they're not going to bother with making games for a system they can't make any money off of, they need and want to make money to. you want to see more 3rd party stuff on the switch? then support the 3rd party stuff that does get put on Nintendo platforms by buying the games otherwise you won't ever get all the big new AAA titles you want on nintendo platforms. Money Talks.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:
last i checked Sony hasn't made a new Spyro

Yeah, I wonder why that is...

i don't know. shit loads of people have nostalgia and love for the Original Spyro Trilogy. Sony could easily make a deal with Activision to make a remaster of that trilogy just like they did with the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy. but they don't.

Yoshi178:
Sony could easily make a deal with Activision to make a remaster of that trilogy just like they did with the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy. but they don't.

You have insider knowledge of that how exactly?

And seriously, you want another reskin? The Crash remake already suffered from bland updated visuals, and Shadow of the Colossus might very well await the same fate, and now you want that for Spyro, too?!

You do know that the Crash remake isn't going cause a revival of the mascot platformer, right? Certainly not to any sort of quality level.

Casual Shinji:

And seriously, you want another reskin? The Crash remake already suffered from bland updated visuals, and Shadow of the Colossus might very well await the same fate, and now you want that for Spyro, too?!

You do know that the Crash remake isn't going cause a revival of the mascot platformer, right? Certainly not to any sort of quality level.

No one really wanted a remaster of Crash Bandicoot; a mediocre PS1 launch title that only got remastered b/c it was made by the same developers as the massively popular Uncharted series. A bland game don't all of a sudden gets exciting b/c it receives a reskin. I was skeptical about the SotC remaster as well but it actually looks really, really good and contrary to Crash this is actually a genuinely iconic Playstation game that will now also be available for PS4 instead of just the obsolete PS 2 and 3. Don't know about Spyro. Other than some nostalgia enthusiasts I don't think it's a game many people will be interested in. Most people who enjoy those games will most likely buy a Nintendo.

stroopwafel:

Casual Shinji:

No one really wanted a remaster of Crash Bandicoot; a mediocre PS1 launch title that only got remastered b/c it was made by the same developers as the massively popular Uncharted series. A bland game don't all of a sudden gets exciting b/c it receives a reskin. I was skeptical about the SotC remaster as well but it actually looks really, really good and contrary to Crash this is actually a genuinely iconic Playstation game that will now also be available for PS4 instead of just the obsolete PS 2 and 3. Don't know about Spyro. Other than some nostalgia enthusiasts I don't think it's a game many people will be interested in. Most people who enjoy those games will most likely buy a Nintendo.

when people talk about old 90's retro gaming i always hear Crash and Spyro get mentioned when people talk about the PS1.

i literally had never even heard of Shadow of the Colossus until people started crying about wanting the last guardian and said TLG was made by the same people made Ico and SOTC. had never even heard a mention about those 2 games until TLG. those games are way more niche than the original crash and spyro games are

stroopwafel:

Well, it sold a shitload, so I'd wager many people did.

As for the SotC remake... It suffers from a similar blandness to the visuals, from what I've seen thus far. Like when you see one of those 'Zelda remade in Unreal Engine 4' videos. Sure, it looks technically impressive, but aesthetically the tone just feels off.

Casual Shinji:

Yoshi178:
Sony could easily make a deal with Activision to make a remaster of that trilogy just like they did with the Crash Bandicoot Trilogy. but they don't.

You have insider knowledge of that how exactly?

if it paves the way for more new entries, proper entries for Spyro Games and Crash games instead of getting more shit crash games and shiity skylanders crap then i'd totally be up for seeing the Spyro trilogy get remade.

besides, games like spyro and crash that came out 20 years are way more deserving of remasters than games like the last of us which took less than 12 months before sony announced a remaster of that after the original games release

Yoshi178:
if it paves the way for more new entries, proper entries for Spyro Games and Crash games instead of getting more shit crash games and shiity skylanders crap then i'd totally be up for seeing the Spyro trilogy get remade.

besides, games like spyro and crash that came out 20 years are way more deserving of remasters than games like the last of us which took less than 12 months before sony announced a remaster of that after the original games release

And who do you think are going to make those new entries? Dedicated developers? Yeah, think again. Those new entries are going to be of the same quality as those shit Crash and Skylanders games.

And I rather have remasters of The Last of Us kind than of the Crash kind, since the former keeps the visual aesthetics the same.

Casual Shinji:

Sure, but I wonder how much that 'scene' in Uncharted 4 had to do with that. I also wonder how many people are like oh it's by Naughty Dog so it must be good. It's more capitalizing on your popularity as a developer rather than the merit of the game itself(which most people agree upon is rather disappointing).

As for the SotC remake... It suffers from a similar blandness to the visuals, from what I've seen thus far. Like when you see one of those 'Zelda remade in Unreal Engine 4' videos. Sure, it looks technically impressive, but aesthetically the tone just feels off.

Totally disagree. Graphics look similar in tone to the original but cleaner and animations flow way better. It actually looks so good that the trailer gave me the impression of a totally new game instead of a remaster. Usually the tone of the game is lost when assets meant to be displayed in SD get uprezzed to HD but in the SotC remaster assets actually look redone. The jagged edges and stuttering framerate of the original also seem fixed(though the framerate was already mostly fixed in the HD collection).

This looks as good a remaster as the one for Modern Warfare where they really seem to have gone through all the in-game assets with a fine comb. Pretty happy that a relatively niche title like SotC seems to get be getting a similar treatment.

stroopwafel:

Casual Shinji:

Sure, but I wonder how much that 'scene' in Uncharted 4 had to do with that. I also wonder how many people are like oh it's by Naughty Dog so it must be good. It's more capitalizing on your popularity as a developer rather than the merit of the game itself(which most people agree upon is rather disappointing).

I doubt that. Uncharted 4 popular, but certainly not so popular as to entice millions of people to go the remake. This thing apparently flew off the shelves. And most people that bought probably aren't even aware it started out as a Naughty Dog property. They're not even mentioned anywhere in the game.

Totally disagree. Graphics look similar in tone to the original but cleaner and animations flow way better. It actually looks so good that the trailer gave me the impression of a totally new game instead of a remaster. Usually the tone of the game is lost when assets meant to be displayed in SD get uprezzed to HD but in the SotC remaster assets actually look redone. The jagged edges and stuttering framerate of the original also seem fixed(though the framerate was already mostly fixed in the HD collection).

This looks as good a remaster as the one for Modern Warfare where they really seem to have gone through all the in-game assets with a fine comb. Pretty happy that a relatively niche title like SotC seems to get be getting a similar treatment.

There's a soft focus present that I'm not too keen on, making it appear a tad washed out. Even when comparing it The Last Guardian, which takes place in the same universe, the visuals don't exactly feel like they're conveying the same mood. They're lacking a starkness.

The problem I have with new Crash (visually) and with the trailer for the SotC remake, is that they feel like stencils; They don't feel like visuals that are designed from the ground up, like is normally the case with a videogame, but advanced textures made to mirror the original. This creates a feeling of looking at the same things, but those things lacking the same artistic feel of the original.

I can't really tell if the OP understands the difference between support, and ports. The first example given is Minecraft, like that game hasn't been on everything under the sun. Hell it's even on fucking phones.

Look here is the plain and simple truth. You cannot compare the 3rd party support that Playstation has gotten over the last three generations compared to what Nintendo has gotten. The Wii U was a disaster of a console, that had incredible potential, much like what the Switch has now. The difference here is that the Switch isn't a piece of shit, it's a functional device with a rather useful gimmick, it's just under powered. That's understandable to a degree, it's portable so you can't expect a portable device to have full console power.

But what that means is that in order for a developer to make a game for the Switch they have to develop the ENTIRE game for the Switch. Even if they bring a port of a game over from Playstation, they will have to rework the entire code to work on the Switch and fix all the graphics in order for the console to run it acceptably. Sounds like a fairly easy task, but it isn't and it isn't a cheap task either.

Honestly the best thing Nintendo can do for the Switch is DISCONTINUE the 3DS. This will hopefully promote a lot of the 3rd party support developers that currently work on the 3DS to move over to the Switch and make games for that system. Though even that might not be possible as it is probably a lot more expensive to make a Switch game than it is to make a 3DS game. Especially since you don't even have to do the 3D part of it.

Also the Spyro thing. People act like there hasn't been Skylanders in the last few years. Spyro never went anywhere, people just stopped caring about it. And I don't think an OG Spyro game with get any kind of remake anytime soon because of what just happened with Yoka-Laylee.

Casual Shinji:
There's a soft focus present that I'm not too keen on, making it appear a tad washed out. Even when comparing it The Last Guardian, which takes place in the same universe, the visuals don't exactly feel like they're conveying the same mood. They're lacking a starkness.

I noticed that 'softness' as well but I actually really like that effect for this game. SotC is low on detail and with it's wide open spaces this effect actually heightens the dream like atmosphere of the game. Granted it looks similar to more modern games(similarly how you can tell games apart from each generation) but for SotC it looks like a genuinely appropriate fit. Other than Trico I wouldn't guess The Last Guardian is a current-gen game. The environments look somewhat rough compared to modern standards and the exact same as in SotC. No impressive lighting effects or nothing. You could say that's intentional but I think it just betrays the game's PS3 roots.

I'm glad it's doing well. Now let's hope the fanboys don't start mooning it all over the place...

Yoshi178:
Rocket League has PS4 cross play with PC yeah, but Sony are deciding to be butts and won't let PS4 owners crossplay with the evil Xbox corporation will they? Nintendo on the other hand is letting players cross play Rocket League, the exact same version of the game, with EVERY other platform that allows it including Xbox, Sonys just scared of dealing with the evil competition. so that's already better 3rd Party support for Nintendo on Switches part.

Cross-play is overrated IMO and only helps games with really really low player bases. It's still easy to find an online game of Ghost Recon Future Soldier on PS3 this very day, a game that was never popular and is 5 years old. You can't really "play" with people from other platforms like say if you had a friend on PC and a friend on Xbox that wanted to play Rocket League together; you can't just join a party together, search for a match, and play together on the same team. You can only play in a private match together. Cross-play will be awesome when what platform someone is on doesn't matter at all. Microsoft didn't want to do cross-play with Sony last-gen and Sony is returning the favor this gen, that's really all it is.

Yoshi178:
Just because they aren't 3rd Party games that YOU want doesn't mean jack. it is still way better 3rd Party support than what the Wii U had.

Nintendo hasn't had a good history with 3rd parties since the SNES days though. so obviously people would be hesitant to trust that they'll receive good 3rd party support on the current, modern day nintendo system. why do you think Nintendo is trying to win back 3rd party back at the moment? that flood of 3rd party AAA support isn't just going to come back at the snap of Nintendos fingers though like you're expecting it to at the moment. Nintendo has to win back the trust of both the consumers AND the 3rd parties. 3rd parties aren't just going to drop everything and put all their big AAA games they've spent shitloads of money developing onto a platform they haven't succeeded selling things on in the past

those games like Skyrim, FIFA and Minecraft are quite obviously testing grounds 3rd parties have set for Nintendos system. in the Bethesdas head with Skyrim they're probably going "ok we'll put something thats sold heaps and has been around for while on the Switch to test and see if we can sell it there. if it does sell heaps of copies there then awesome we'll consider putting more time and money into putting more current games on the Switch. if Skyrim sell, then oh well who gives a crap? we didn't lose much money anyway cause its just a port of a really old game that doesn't require anywhere near as much time or money as our current projects are. we just won't waste anymore time or money cause we don't have to"

my point is it's not JUST about graphics and power for 3rd parties. they need sales as well. they're not going to bother with making games for a system they can't make any money off of, they need and want to make money to. you want to see more 3rd party stuff on the switch? then support the 3rd party stuff that does get put on Nintendo platforms by buying the games otherwise you won't ever get all the big new AAA titles you want on nintendo platforms. Money Talks.

It has nothing to do with what games I want. It has to do with a Nintendo console getting basically all the games on the same day that the other 3 platforms get. I don't want to have to check to see if the game I want is coming out or not on the Switch, I want to know that it will come out on the same day. I mentioned the treasure trove of games that came out early this year, I only played 2 of them but the important part is I had the option to play them all besides one (Zelda) on PS4 whereas a Switch and/or a WiiU owner only had ONE buying option, that's the difference. Nintendo's consoles will always be secondary purchases for any gamer. Nintendo is perfectly fine with that, which is their prerogative. However, it's my prerogative to not buy their systems then, which I haven't since the SNES.

Power is important because it allows devs to easily port games over. If Nintendo released a console with x86 architecture and comparable power to the PS4/Xbone, then Nintendo would be getting loads of games on its system. And the Switch released years AFTER PS4/Xbone with loads less power. The Switch is technically "next-gen" with the power of PS3/360 so power is an issue.

CritialGaming:

People want the superior Wii U library on the Switch and are willing to pay full price for remasters/ports.

kilenem:

CritialGaming:

The wii u failed because it didn't have a cool enough gimmick. The Wii only needed one game to sell like crack cocaine. Wii sports was packed into the system. The PS2 was the weakest of its generation and slaughtered the Dream Cast and Gamecube because of Hype and a DVD player. If you want your console to sell you need a good gimmick and hype which the Switch has.

This seems like the sad truth. I never needed a PS2 for a DVD player and I found it hard to believe that early adopters were buying it for that reason. Later on the PS2 had the best library but early on, it was the DVD player, people still credit that feature as one of the reasons for the PS2's success. The Wii's gimmick (along with a great tech demo) sold it for Nintendo. The Wii's library never got as great as the 360 and in the end the PS3's.

The Wii U has a pretty good library, so good that Switch owners want Wii U games ported to the Switch. I always want to ask those people why they didn't buy a Wii U if they love the Wii U library.

Here we are with the Switch, it's a tablet and for some reason that has people super excited. Doesn't make sense but it is the gimmick and not the library that's selling this console. It can't survive on gimmick alone, if it doesn't get a great library like the PS2 did it will end like the Wii.

This whole thread was doomed the second the big N was mentioned.

RaikuFA:

Nanomachines?!

Johnny Novgorod:

RaikuFA:

Nanomachines?!

Clearly RaikuFA was referring to Nostradamus. Another Nintendo thread down the drain because of end times prophecy. I wonder who gets the play the anti-Christ this time.

WeepingAngels:

kilenem:

CritialGaming:

This seems like the sad truth. I never needed a PS2 for a DVD player and I found it hard to believe that early adopters were buying it for that reason. Later on the PS2 had the best library but early on, it was the DVD player, people still credit that feature as one of the reasons for the PS2's success. The Wii's gimmick (along with a great tech demo) sold it for Nintendo. The Wii's library never got as great as the 360 and in the end the PS3's.

The Wii U has a pretty good library, so good that Switch owners want Wii U games ported to the Switch. I always want to ask those people why they didn't buy a Wii U if they love the Wii U library.

Here we are with the Switch, it's a tablet and for some reason that has people super excited. Doesn't make sense but it is the gimmick and not the library that's selling this console. It can't survive on gimmick alone, if it doesn't get a great library like the PS2 did it will end like the Wii.

I think Zelda being a Damn near perfect game helped create the hype. There is the hope Nintendo will continue to produce games at that standard

kilenem:

WeepingAngels:

kilenem:

I think Zelda being a Damn near perfect game helped create the hype. There is the dope Nintendo will continue to produce games at that standard

Zelda is a Wii U game ported to the Switch. It was even crippled on the Wii U because of the Switch (2nd screen features were removed). The hype for Switch existed before anyone had reviewed Zelda.

WeepingAngels:

kilenem:

WeepingAngels:

I think Zelda being a Damn near perfect game helped create the hype. There is the dope Nintendo will continue to produce games at that standard

Zelda is a Wii U game ported to the Switch. It was even crippled on the Wii U because of the Switch (2nd screen features were removed). The hype for Switch existed before anyone had reviewed Zelda.

I think the hype got way bigger after the game came out and everyone found it was legit good and it wasn't just Zelda fans dick riding the series. Many Zelda themed Amiibos were on clearance at quite few different store before BOTW came out. Then there was a shit show on ebay a couple days later. The Switch didn't even sell out the first day. I got mine, the store I went to still had like 10 at 1 am and my back up store called me let me know they still had some in stock.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here