Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Phoenixmgs:

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

Why do you care if i've played Xenogears & Xenosaga or not?

Plus the Xenoblade series has no overt connections to Takahashi's pre-Nintendo days except for the occasional reference to Gnosticism. As for XCX, there's the Elma reveal at the end of the story, but I'm not holding my breath for him trying to do 'Saga again (especially since 'Saga was pretty damn clumsy). Plus slapping "Xeno" on the games was Nintendo's idea.

I have a very singular motive why I want to know, it has nothing to do with any connections between the games.

and that motive is?

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Aiddon:

Plus the Xenoblade series has no overt connections to Takahashi's pre-Nintendo days except for the occasional reference to Gnosticism. As for XCX, there's the Elma reveal at the end of the story, but I'm not holding my breath for him trying to do 'Saga again (especially since 'Saga was pretty damn clumsy). Plus slapping "Xeno" on the games was Nintendo's idea.

I have a very singular motive why I want to know, it has nothing to do with any connections between the games.

and that motive is?

It would sorta cease being a motive if I told you. Why can't you merely say whether you played any of the prior Xeno games?

Haha, I can't believe you've all kept this thread going for 10 pages worth! Surely there can't be much more to say on this topic. The Switch is selling well owing to some rave reviews for its launch titles and hype for a couple of upcoming games. Plus, Nintendo has always appealed to the mass market rather than full on 'gamers'. Ok. Let's see how it's doing in a year or two then make a call on its success.

That's console wars for you. People, nerds in particular, have some silly impulse to not only champion their own preferences (which is fine), but to try to invalidate other people's preferences because...

Actually, I don't know the reason for that. At least, taken to this extreme.

God damn it Yoshi, just answer Phoenix. I'm dying to know where this is all going!

altnameJag:
That's console wars for you. People, nerds in particular, have some silly impulse to not only champion their own preferences (which is fine), but to try to invalidate other people's preferences because...

Simple reason. If X and Y are in competition with each other, and X is made to look bad, then Y looks better by default.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

and that motive is?

It would sorta cease being a motive if I told you. Why can't you merely say whether you played any of the prior Xeno games?

why can't you merely tell me why you care so much about whether i've played them or not?

altnameJag:

That and we're in an age where no one is allowed to like anything without putting an asterisk next to it lest they be called a "fanboy/girl." It's rather joyless when you think about it

Aiddon:

altnameJag:

That and we're in an age where no one is allowed to like anything without putting an asterisk next to it lest they be called a "fanboy/girl." It's rather joyless when you think about it

There is really a difference between liking something and making fun of those who don't like the same thing.

Yoshi178:
why can't you merely tell me why you care so much about whether i've played them or not?

Why can't you just answer the question?

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

You won't answer mine. why should i answer yours?

Phoenixmgs:
It's just not there when you actually crunch the numbers.

Apart from having a single machine thst will play all of your games arguably forever?

That I don't need to buy multiple vonsoles to play a game series?

That I csn build a pc cheaper than a PS4 Pro and PS3 combined that is not only better, but plays more stuff?

https://seekingalpha.com/news/3275353-switch-pushes-nintendo-market-cap-sonys
"Sales of the Switch have pushed Nintendo's (OTCPK:NTDOF, OTCPK:NTDOY) market cap up to $48.9B on the Tokyo Stock Exchange, above Sony's (NYSE:SNE) for the first time in nearly a year and the gaming giant's highest valuation since October 2008."

Your quote literally proves my point.

LMAO, at pre-order bonuses being pay2win mechanics. Why are you defending on-disc DLC?

LMAO?

Why are you defending the fact that "Wolf Link" in something like BotW should be considered DLC?

How is it at all comparable to cutting out an entire chapter of content ala Arkham Knight? Or MGSV?

I don't think PS4 games have that issue where you have to basically redownload the whole game plus update anymore like with PS3. I have a 500GB PS4 with over 20 games and still have about half the HD left.

DW8 Empires alone is like 20 GB. Horizon Zero Dawn is like 42.

On a 500GB PS4 you can have 9 big Sony releases before you have to make space to fit both download and installation file.

Again, you don't need flagship games to launch a console with. PS4 sold a million in the first 24 hours having no killer app. Sony manages to do better than Nintendo while not screwing over their customers nearly as much.

Define 'screwing customers over' because currently I'm getting more value out of my Switch.

Phone games are better than Switch games. There's loads of digital board games now, it's awesome.

I respectfully disagree. Also I play boardsgames more than my Switch. So far it's board games>PC>Switch>PS4.

Boardgaming in person is the best, I love my Netrunner... but a solo run through of a PACG adventure with a new character, Mage Knight game, or Gloomhaven is infinitely better than my PS4. It's almost as if different people have differeny tastes and different lifestyles, they aren't simply 'Nintendo fangirls'.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

I asked first...

Addendum_Forthcoming:
That I csn build a pc cheaper than a PS4 Pro and PS3 combined that is not only better, but plays more stuff?

You can have a PS4 + a low-end gaming PC (plays anything from last-gen and prior) for the price of a gaming PC (that plays current games).

Your quote literally proves my point.

Only in Trump's America.

Why are you defending the fact that "Wolf Link" in something like BotW should be considered DLC?

How is it at all comparable to cutting out an entire chapter of content ala Arkham Knight? Or MGSV?

Yes, it shouldn't be considered DLC because it's on the disc and it's not downloadable. Accessing the on-disc content costs more than Arkham Knights content. MGS5, really? MGS5, the whole situation with Konami and Kojima is a very specific one-time scenario.

It's almost as if different people have differeny tastes and different lifestyles, they aren't simply 'Nintendo fangirls'.

PS4 has far far far more games meaning chances are pretty high that one will get more enjoyment out of a PS4 than any Nintendo console. Sure, some gamers may legitimately get more out of a Nintendo system but it will mainly be people with very specific tastes.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

I asked first...

i asked 2nd. 2's a bigger number so i win.

dscross:
Haha, I can't believe you've all kept this thread going for 10 pages worth!

I think Yoshi and Phoenix could keep the thread going for several pages at this rate.

It doesn't really matter what answer is given either. After all, how would you prove it.

Yoshi178:
snip

Let me ask you this. Do you defend Nintendo Switch for making a console that REQUIRES people to purchase extra storage? Nintendo has partnered with Sandisk a micro SD card company, https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3016619/nintendo-and-sandisk-partner-for-branded-nintendo-switch-microsd-cards and they have said that upcoming games will NOT be fully playable unless people buy bigger SD cards for their Switch.

Bigger games like NBA '18 and I would imagine the bigger RPG's like Pokemon, Skyrim, Xenoblade 2, etc all will be very limited experiences if you do not buy a SD card.

This of course, makes the Switch the first gaming console that requires players to buy extra storage to play games. I'm not talking about memory cards to save you game, I'm talking about extra purchases of expensive SD cards you NEED to buy to PLAY a game. Just play, nevermind saving the damn thing.

CritialGaming:

This of course, makes the Switch the first gaming console that requires players to buy extra storage to play games. I'm not talking about memory cards to save you game, I'm talking about extra purchases of expensive SD cards you NEED to buy to PLAY a game. Just play, nevermind saving the damn thing.

The N64 had a similar requirement with its RAM pack for certain games to be played (e.g. Perfect Dark).

Hawki:

CritialGaming:

The N64 had a similar requirement with its RAM pack for certain games to be played (e.g. Perfect Dark).

The difference with that was, most of those games that required the RAM, came with the ram pack. One of the Donkey Kong's if I remember correctly. Even then I can almost forgive the N84 because that was hardware limitations. The Switch doesn't have problems running the games (debately) it simply doesn't come with enough storage to even handle the file size of a game which is just bad consumer practice, and obviously it was intended to form this relationship with a SD card maker.

I'm okay with a system every once in a while needing to be cleaned out in order to play new games. My PS4 is only a 500GB system and I had to delete the game files for a few older games that I had finished in order to install and play Horizon earlier this year. I'm okay with that. But Nintendo has said that even if you have a completely new system with nothing else installed on the internal storage, there will be games that are outright too big for it. Meaning you HAVE to buy extra storage for the system to play these games. Let alone if you've already played and installed a few games on your switch. It makes you work how big these games will be considering Breath of the Wild played just fine without extra storage.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:
snip

Let me ask you this.

No.

Quiet you. i'm in the middle of a war with Phoenix here if you didn't notice.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:
snip

Let me ask you this.

No.

SO you can't refute an excuse for that shitty business practice. Good to know.

EDIT: Also the only war you seem to be having answer questions because you know that you are running out of legs to stand on, so it seems.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Let me ask you this.

No.

EDIT: Also the only war you seem to be having answer questions because you know that you are running out of legs to stand on, so it seems.

if that's what you want to believe that's cool. :)

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:
No.

You could always just answer the question. *shrug*

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

You could always just answer the question. *shrug*

He could always just answer mine. :3

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

I asked first...

Here's a hint
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.947699-Excclusive?page=1

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

I asked first...

Here's a hint
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.947699-Excclusive?page=1

not good enough. you want an answer from me, you answer my question in full first rather than sharing vague "hints" to me or else i'm not answering the question.

You are the one who originally wanted something from me in this thread after all, not the other way around.

Phoenixmgs:

You can have a PS4 + a low-end gaming PC (plays anything from last-gen and prior) for the price of a gaming PC (that plays current games).

I could however have a brand new PC for the cost of a brand new PS3 Slim and a brand new PS4 Pro. And I could have it play most current games including the entirety of the Witcher series on one machine. Assuming I don't have to do think like rebuy Windows, or a monitor.

I would be saving money, time, space, the parts are easily purchasable, and I can continue upgrading the machine as I get more money.

It would also be of superior tech. New processor, new motherboard, $75 dollar case with inbuilt 500W power supply, a cheap HDD. Sure it won't be a gamer's dream machine, but it will outperform the PS4 Pro.

Only in Trump's America.

A: For starters Nintendo has been actively competing and beating Sony's market cap for awhile now.
B: Sony has been stagnating since the Walkman.

Yes, it shouldn't be considered DLC because it's on the disc and it's not downloadable. Accessing the on-disc content costs more than Arkham Knights content. MGS5, really? MGS5, the whole situation with Konami and Kojima is a very specific one-time scenario.

As in you couldn't access it unless you preordered you mean? Wolf Link is a loveletter to the fans who buy a metric fuckton of Nintendo product. I have the Wolf Link Amiibo simply because it was actually easier to order the special remaster bundle of Twilight Princess in Australia than it was to buy a regular copy.

How many times have I used? Precisely once, for the novelty. That's different from telling future interested parties that entire story and gameplay basic additions were cut and monetised solely ro drive up preorder culture.

PS4 has far far far more games meaning chances are pretty high that one will get more enjoyment out of a PS4 than any Nintendo console.

Of which I will happen to play more often? ... not simply because I like Nintendo games more, but because I spend less time in my house than outside. If I'm inside why play the PS4 Pro beyond games like my current NG +9 Bloodborne run?

Sure, some gamers may legitimately get more out of a Nintendo system but it will mainly be people with very specific tastes.

Having a job and studying, or seeking greater convenience, isn't a 'taste'.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Sure, some gamers may legitimately get more out of a Nintendo system but it will mainly be people with very specific tastes.

Having a job and study, or seeking greater convenience isn't a 'taste'.

What are you talking about here? If you are saying that the Switch being portable makes it a better system is a fundamentally flawed argument due to the fact that the Switch isn't really portable. It's a home console with a handheld capability, but having a 90-120 minute battery life doesn't qualify it as a portable to me. And it's convenience for you still doesn't make it the better system. So the original statement stands, that if you are a huge Nintendo fan who truly loves and gets endless hours of play from games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, then sure the Switch can be your favorite system.

I don't think anyone here is trying to invalidate the Switch's ability to be a great console. What they are saying is that it isn't a great console yet. Additionally everyone, i've seen, has made the concession that people who solely love Nintendo games above all else are probably going to favor the Switch no matter what. But objectively the system has nothing going for it to make it a stand out system in the history of gaming systems.

Not yet anyway.

CritialGaming:

What are you talking about here? If you are saying that the Switch being portable makes it a better system is a fundamentally flawed argument due to the fact that the Switch isn't really portable. It's a home console with a handheld capability, but having a 90-120 minute battery life doesn't qualify it as a portable to me. And it's convenience for you still doesn't make it the better system. So the original statement stands, that if you are a huge Nintendo fan who truly loves and gets endless hours of play from games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, then sure the Switch can be your favorite system.

For starters, I've played my Switch for 3 hours in handheld mode. Secondly, like every other student I carry a portable USB recharger. Last thing you need either in the lab or organising for group cramming or the like is a dead phone or laptop.

Yoshi178:
not good enough. you want an answer from me, you answer my question in full first rather than sharing vague "hints" to me or else i'm not answering the question.

You are the one who originally wanted something from me in this thread after all, not the other way around.

If you care so much what others think, you got bigger problems. I don't have a problem telling people what I like or don't like regardless of how unpopular it is.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I could however have a brand new PC for the cost of a brand new PS3 Slim and a brand new PS4 Pro. And I could have it play most current games including the entirety of the Witcher series on one machine. Assuming I don't have to do think like rebuy Windows, or a monitor.

I would be saving money, time, space, the parts are easily purchasable, and I can continue upgrading the machine as I get more money.

It would also be of superior tech. New processor, new motherboard, $75 dollar case with inbuilt 500W power supply, a cheap HDD. Sure it won't be a gamer's dream machine, but it will outperform the PS4 Pro.

Your point that a PS3 and PS4 Pro cost more? Why would someone buy a PS3 now anyways? It seems like you have to use the PS4 Pro to get the price up to make PC gaming seem cheaper because you don't need the PS4 Pro to play current-gen games.

A: For starters Nintendo has been actively competing and beating Sony's market cap for awhile now.
B: Sony has been stagnating since the Walkman.

A: No they haven't
B: Nintendo can't continually beat a stagnating company?

As in you couldn't access it unless you preordered you mean? Wolf Link is a loveletter to the fans who buy a metric fuckton of Nintendo product. I have the Wolf Link Amiibo simply because it was actually easier to order the special remaster bundle of Twilight Princess in Australia than it was to buy a regular copy.

How many times have I used? Precisely once, for the novelty. That's different from telling future interested parties that entire story and gameplay basic additions were cut and monetised solely ro drive up preorder culture.

You mean the $2 Harley Quinn DLC that I can buy right now? VS buying a piece of plastic for $15 for a couple bucks worth of content? Or how about locking difficulty modes behind plastic?

Of which I will happen to play more often? ... not simply because I like Nintendo games more, but because I spend less time in my house than outside. If I'm inside why play the PS4 Pro beyond games like my current NG +9 Bloodborne run?

Having a job and studying, or seeking greater convenience, isn't a 'taste'.

Most people don't have free time to play console gaming on the go during their average day. Most people don't use public transportation, most people don't have class. Your lunch break is really the only free time for most people who need it for eating and probably making a necessary call or text with loved ones.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
Secondly, like every other student I carry a portable USB recharger. Last thing you need either in the lab or organising for group cramming or the like is a dead phone or laptop.

Uhh... Then, why are you wasting your portable charger on a portable console when you need it for your phone or laptop?

Phoenixmgs:

Your point that a PS3 and PS4 Pro cost more? Why would someone buy a PS3 now anyways? It seems like you have to use the PS4 Pro to get the price up to make PC gaming seem cheaper because you don't need the PS4 Pro to play current-gen games.

Because that's the only way to play the complete series of most games now. Henbce why people will be playing the Witcher on a PC. Because when you have people who are like; "Wow, people really loved Witcher 3 ... I'd really like to play the prior installations first, however..." they aren't going to be looking at consoles.

A: No they haven't
B: Nintendo can't continually beat a stagnating company?

A: Yeah it has, since Q2 last year. The Switch is merely icing on the cake with things like Pokemon Go.
B: Which is funny given out of the big 3, Nintendo seems to be the least haemorrhaging money.

You mean the $2 Harley Quinn DLC that I can buy right now? VS buying a piece of plastic for $15 for a couple bucks worth of content? Or how about locking difficulty modes behind plastic?

Then don't buy them, I'm quite content not to despite your avid disagreement that I apparently can't like my Switch unless I'm a fangirl.

Most people don't have free time to play console gaming on the go during their average day.

And yet there's more people playing board games than ever. Second golden age of boardgaming apparently. The Switch is tapping into a mindset games need not be played in people's homes, because that's precisely what we're seeing with phones and tablets. The difference is that the Switch offers gamers the chance or choice to immediately involve their friends wherever they are.

Most people don't use public transportation, most people don't have class.

Many people do not have stable electricity and drinkable tap water (if even that), since when has gaming been about catering anyone else but the bourgeoisie?

Your lunch break is really the only free time for most people who need it for eating and probably making a necessary call or text with loved ones.

For me personally? I use on break or inbetween classes.

Uhh... Then, why are you wasting your portable charger on a portable console when you need it for your phone or laptop?

Because there's more than enough power to go around with my USB powerbrick. Weighs 220 grams incl. cables.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Phoenixmgs:

Because that's the only way to play the complete series of most games now. Henbce why people will be playing the Witcher on a PC. Because when you have people who are like; "Wow, people really loved Witcher 3 ... I'd really like to play the prior installations first, however..." they aren't going to be looking at consoles.

You can buy a PC really really cheap that can play last-gen and older games. It makes no sense to buy a PS3 now. And, I played Witcher 3 and I'm probably not going to ever play another CDPR game until they actually "git gud" with regards to gameplay.

A: Yeah it has, since Q2 last year. The Switch is merely icing on the cake with things like Pokemon Go.
B: Which is funny given out of the big 3, Nintendo seems to be the least haemorrhaging money.

A: Nope
B: You seem to not know what words mean at this point. Microsoft hemorrhaging money? LMAO.

Then don't buy them, I'm quite content not to despite your avid disagreement that I apparently can't like my Switch unless I'm a fangirl.

You're Straw-manning pretty hard in this whole response. You were arguing that pre-order content is worse than Amiibo content saying you can't get pre-order content, which isn't true. But having to pay a couple extra bucks for content is worse than paying $15 for a difficulty level? You need to buy 4 Amiibos to get all the content for Metroid: Samus Returns. I'd rather pre-order (which is FREE) and buy a $20 season pass than pay $60 for 4 Amiibos. You go ahead and enjoy whatever the hell you want, I couldn't care less. This isn't about you.

Most people don't have free time to play console gaming on the go during their average day.

And yet there's more people playing board games than ever. Second golden age of boardgaming apparently. The Switch is tapping into a mindset games need not be played in people's homes, because that's precisely what we're seeing with phones and tablets. The difference is that the Switch offers gamers the chance or choice to immediately involve their friends wherever they are.

Another straw-man. People aren't playing board games on the go. People take part in their hobbies (whether video games, board games, movies, golf, etc.) in scheduled time outside of work. The entire thread is about whether the Switch will become a legit console (unlike the Wii and WiiU) and start taking market share from Sony and MS. Again, most people don't have time to play console games on the go, you might and that's fine. Those mini-games you can involve your friends in will only be something entertaining for like an hour or so a month, if that. One of my buddies that plays board games brought his Switch to our every Monday board gaming night and we played for about an hour and haven't since then. If the Switch does become highly successful, it will be due to becoming the new DS and taking that market, you know, that market that Nintendo already has... Thus, Nintendo will be staying where they are even if the Switch becomes big.

Many people do not have stable electricity and drinkable tap water (if even that), since when has gaming been about catering anyone else but the bourgeoisie?

Video gaming is one of the cheapest hobbies out there.

Your lunch break is really the only free time for most people who need it for eating and probably making a necessary call or text with loved ones.

For me personally? I use on break or inbetween classes.

It's not about you. It's about the average person and gamer. The average person nor the average gamer has class. The average gamer has a standard job with a family. How is the Switch supposed to be successful if it taps into a gaming demographic that is definitely the minority?

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

If you care so much what others think, you got bigger problems. I don't have a problem telling people what I like or don't like regardless of how unpopular it is.

you didn't ask me if i like Xenosaga & Xenogears. you asked me if i've played them. i don't have a problem telling you if i've played them or not. i'm just curious why you care if i've played them or not? and apparently it's such a big issue for you to tell me your motive on why you want know if i've played them which only makes me reluctant to tell you.

you already know what kinds of games i like.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CritialGaming:

For starters, I've played my Switch for 3 hours in handheld mode. Secondly, like every other student I carry a portable USB recharger. Last thing you need either in the lab or organising for group cramming or the like is a dead phone or laptop.

That's fine, but how does portability make it a better system? Hell if you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can play Playstation 4 games anywhere with a VITA. If you need it to be portable most of your play time, how is a switch better than a 3DS?

A console lives and breaths on games. And it is far too soon to call the Switch anything right now. I'm sure Nintendo is happy with it for now because they've sold a bunch. But if they want the system to continue to sell, it will be the games that continue to drive the Switch forward.

Well THIS came right the hell out of nowhere:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rockstar-games-announces-new-version-of-l-a-noire-for-switch-out-on-november-14/

What I really want is a Red Dead Redemption port. Motion controls are just so much better for aiming.

Aiddon:
Well THIS came right the hell out of nowhere:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rockstar-games-announces-new-version-of-l-a-noire-for-switch-out-on-november-14/

What I really want is a Red Dead Redemption port. Motion controls are just so much better for aiming.

Looks like one of them HD remakes. I notice the poster says it's coming from Ps4, Xbox, and Vive too. Sadly I played and beat this game almost seven years ago now, so I don't think I'll drop 60 bucks on played it with a worse frame rate.

Yoshi178:
i don't have a problem telling you if i've played them or not.

Then, just say if you played them or not. What's the big deal?

Here's basically well over 90% of the games I've played since trophies became a thing:
https://psnprofiles.com/Phoenixmgs

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or