Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

CritialGaming:

Addendum_Forthcoming:

CritialGaming:

What are you talking about here? If you are saying that the Switch being portable makes it a better system is a fundamentally flawed argument due to the fact that the Switch isn't really portable. It's a home console with a handheld capability, but having a 90-120 minute battery life doesn't qualify it as a portable to me. And it's convenience for you still doesn't make it the better system. So the original statement stands, that if you are a huge Nintendo fan who truly loves and gets endless hours of play from games like Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, etc, then sure the Switch can be your favorite system.

For starters, I've played my Switch for 3 hours in handheld mode. Secondly, like every other student I carry a portable USB recharger. Last thing you need either in the lab or organising for group cramming or the like is a dead phone or laptop.

That's fine, but how does portability make it a better system? Hell if you have a Wi-Fi connection, you can play Playstation 4 games anywhere with a VITA. If you need it to be portable most of your play time, how is a switch better than a 3DS?

A console lives and breaths on games. And it is far too soon to call the Switch anything right now. I'm sure Nintendo is happy with it for now because they've sold a bunch. But if they want the system to continue to sell, it will be the games that continue to drive the Switch forward.

No Wi-Fi on the commute = no PS4 games playable through VITA on the commute. Beside, not all games support Remote Play.
3DS has no Breath of the Wild or Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
I'll wait until Skyrim is released (and 6 months of patching have passed) though.

PS: 11 pages!? This is insane!

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
i don't have a problem telling you if i've played them or not.

Then, just say if you played them or not. What's the big deal?

because you make reluctant to tell you by making such a big deal out of me asking you "why do you care if i've played them?".

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:
i don't have a problem telling you if i've played them or not.

because you make reluctant to tell you by making such a big deal out of me asking you "why do you care if i've played them?".

Because by having not played these games, you loose most of your credibility when talking about them. Since you are being so defensive about it, it is pretty clear you haven't played them. Which for the last two or three pages now, you've had no justification in your argument.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Because by having not played these games, you loose most of your credibility when talking about them. Since you are being so defensive about it, it is pretty clear you haven't played them. Which for the last two or three pages now, you've had no justification in your argument.

i wasn't even talking about Xenogears and Xenosaga before. phoenix just asked me out of the blue if i've played those or not when i said Xenoblade Chronicles was one of my favourite games of all time.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

i wasn't even talking about Xenogears and Xenosaga before. phoenix just asked me out of the blue if i've played those or not when i said Xenoblade Chronicles was one of my favourite games of all time.

And that made you get defensive? Why not just say yes or no? Instead you dragged it out into a pointless slapfight. Grow up.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

And that made you get defensive? Why not just say yes or no? Instead you dragged it out into a pointless slapfight. Grow up.

asking phoenix why does he care if i've played them makes phoenix get defensive? maybe he should grow up.

Yoshi178:
asking phoenix why does he care if i've played them makes phoenix get defensive? maybe he should grow up.

It doesn't matter why he cares. The point is he asked a question and you responded with another question that completely dodged his question. Why couldn't you just say yes or no? Instead you got defensive and started this whole thing for no reason. And you continue to do so.

So how about this. I'll ask.

Yoshi, have you ever played Xenogears or Xenosaga? I ask because if you liked Xenoblade Chronicles, you would probably like the previous Xeno-style games better. Xenogears is one of the best RPG's ever made, and you are missing out if you haven't given it a try.

CritialGaming:

It doesn't matter why he cares. The point is he asked a question and you responded with another question that completely dodged his question.

asking why does he care if i've played them isn't dodging the question at all.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

It doesn't matter why he cares. The point is he asked a question and you responded with another question that completely dodged his question.

Yoshi, have you ever played Xenogears or Xenosaga? I ask because if you liked Xenoblade Chronicles, you would probably like the previous Xeno-style games better. Xenogears is one of the best RPG's ever made, and you are missing out if you haven't given it a try.

CritialGaming:

It doesn't matter why he cares.

in your opinion.

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

I'm merely going to reference something you yourself said once you answer the question. Do you not have confidence in what you say?

Aiddon:
Well THIS came right the hell out of nowhere:

http://nintendoeverything.com/rockstar-games-announces-new-version-of-l-a-noire-for-switch-out-on-november-14/

Damn Cole looks angry. I thought he was meant to be a detective, not a hitman.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

I'm merely going to reference something you yourself said once you answer the question. Do you not have confidence in what you say?

i don't have confidence that you have good intentions behind your question.

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi, have you ever played Xenogears or Xenosaga?

He hasn't.

Do you not have confidence in what you say?

He doesn't.

Johnny Novgorod:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

He hasn't.

He doesn't.

What gets me about all of the run around, is it wasn't even that important. None of this was. Instead it became 11 pages of nonsense.

CritialGaming:

Johnny Novgorod:

CritialGaming:

He hasn't.

He doesn't.

What gets me about all of the run around, is it wasn't even that important. None of this was. Instead it became 11 pages of nonsense.

From the get go this whole attempt at gloating through sales numbers shows you how insecure he was about the console and any point he might've tried to make about it before. That 11 pages in he hasn't even managed a single "gotcha" and is avoiding all sorts of questions left and right with his kindergarten nuh-uh debate skills is a mixture of sad and cute.

Johnny Novgorod:

CritialGaming:

Johnny Novgorod:

He hasn't.

He doesn't.

From the get go this whole attempt at gloating through sales numbers shows you how insecure he was about the console and any point he might've tried to make about it before. That 11 pages in he hasn't even managed a single "gotcha" and is avoiding all sorts of questions left and right with his kindergarten nuh-uh debate skills is a mixture of sad and cute.

Lol Nintendo fans. :P

On a serious note though. History has told us time and time again that a successful console doesn't mean sales figures. At least not in terms of the public perception. In business terms the Switch is a win. But so was the Wii, and 90% of Wii owners never bought a single game for the system. Which means the Wii was not a success in the games industry even though it was a financial one.

Nintendo has built up a history now of making the weakest console on the market, and forcing developers in include whatever the system's gimmick is in order to allow games on the system. I think we've seen that developers and publishers are not going to blindly fund a completely separate development project for a game in order to get it to run on the major consoles and also the Switch, or the Wii, or the Wii U. Which means that yet again Nintendo will have to rely on strictly first and second party developers to create games on this system.

At least what they seem to be doing is paying these third party developers to make games for the system as we see with Mario + Rabids and Ubisoft. The problem I have with that is, will will see 3rd party Switch exclusives that are not using 1st party IP? Because Mario+Rabids has gotten a great reception so far, but I doubt it would have gotten that same respect if it was just a Rabids game. It's Mario that elevated that title, not the gameplay nor the 3rd party influence.

SquarEnix has confirmed an exclusive RPG for the Switch, and I hope it is good. But every other 3rd party game coming to the Switch is a port of a 5+ year old game. Skyrim, L.A. Noire? Really? Why should I be excited to play any game that I played 6 years ago? Especially since I have a gaming Laptop that is portable and can run every modern game on Ultra with ease?

Johnny Novgorod:
avoiding all sorts of questions left and right with his kindergarten nuh-uh debate skills

all sorts of questions? you mean one question that doesn't even remotely relate to this threads topic?

oh and i'm not the only one avoiding a question here. but of course you wouldn't know that because you don't give a crap. your sole purpose here is to mock literally anything i say. as usual. thanks for proving my point about the intention you guys have towards me being unpleasent.

CritialGaming:
L.A. Noire? Really? Why should I be excited to play any game that I played 6 years ago? Especially since I have a gaming Laptop that is portable and can run every modern game on Ultra with ease?

i don't know. ask rockstar. since they're the ones porting the game and it isn't even Switch exclusive. it's on PS4 and Xbox One as well.

why should i buy a PS4 to play a 6 year old game? why should i buy an Xbox One to a play a 6 year old game?

Yoshi178:
i don't know. ask rockstar. since they're the ones porting the game and it isn't even Switch exclusive. it's on PS4 and Xbox One as well.

why should i buy a PS4 to play a 6 year old game? why should i buy an Xbox One to a play a 6 year old game?

Though the Switch version is at least something new due to motion control functionality, HD Rumble, and even touch screen support.

Aiddon:

Yoshi178:

Though the Switch version is at least something new due to motion control functionality, HD Rumble, and even touch screen support.

"muh 4K!" gimmick. i doubt it's even going to be in true 4K 60fps. uncompromised 4K my ass microsoft. lol

Johnny Novgorod:

CritialGaming:

Yoshi178:

He hasn't.

And since Yoshi has dragged this out far too long, I'm almost positive he has played any other Xeno games either and I'm pretty sure I know the reason why...

Starting at this post and going a few posts down, Yoshi almost certainly seems to stick with "comfort games" (known likes basically) and probably only tried Xenoblade because it had "Nintendo" on the box. Yoshi admits to only playing a few 3rd-party games and only sticking to mainly exclusives as shown in the following exert:

Yoshi178:
but that's the main reason i own 2 consoles. for both of their exclusives. 3rd party games are just a bonus and i hardly even have any 3rd party games on my Xbone tbh. i have a few that came in the console bundle i got when i first bought the system which i haven't even touched and i picked up a few really cheaply in a "buy 1 get free sale" eb was having like Destny for about $10.

---

Oh, and what's the goddamn point of this thread Yoshi? To brag about the Switch selling 5 million like that's even an accomplishment or even matters? The Wii sold more than both the PS3 and 360, that didn't matter either. Who have you made salty? The Switch is just going to be another "Nintendo system" that does the same thing every Nintendo system has done since the Gamecube. The most successful the Switch can ever be is taking over Nintendo's own portable market, then does that really change anything? Nope.

Phoenixmgs:

Johnny Novgorod:

CritialGaming:

He hasn't.

And since Yoshi has dragged this out far too long, I'm almost positive he has played any other Xeno games either and I'm pretty sure I know the reason why...

Starting at this post and going a few posts down, Yoshi almost certainly seems to stick with "comfort games" (known likes basically) and probably only tried Xenoblade because it had "Nintendo" on the box. Yoshi admits to only playing a few 3rd-party games and only sticking to mainly exclusives as shown in the following exert:

Yoshi178:
but that's the main reason i own 2 consoles. for both of their exclusives. 3rd party games are just a bonus and i hardly even have any 3rd party games on my Xbone tbh. i have a few that came in the console bundle i got when i first bought the system which i haven't even touched and i picked up a few really cheaply in a "buy 1 get free sale" eb was having like Destny for about $10.

---

Oh, and what's the goddamn point of this thread Yoshi? To brag about the Switch selling 5 million like that's even an accomplishment or even matters? The Wii sold more than both the PS3 and 360, that didn't matter either. Who have you made salty? The Switch is just going to be another "Nintendo system" that does the same thing every Nintendo system has done since the Gamecube. The most successful the Switch can ever be is taking over Nintendo's own portable market, then does that really change anything? Nope.

Good lord, why do you care?

If you let the fanboy be happy, this thread is over by page 3.

EDIT: Seriously, this is some gamefaqs level shit. Might as well be complaining about Undertale winning best game ever in that stupid internet poll they did.

CritialGaming:

Get more drag when it's two people at the yoke.

Phoenixmgs:
[Yoshi almost certainly seems to stick with "comfort games" (known likes basically) and probably only tried Xenoblade because it had "Nintendo" on the box. Yoshi admits to only playing a few 3rd-party games and only sticking to mainly exclusives

The specifics aside, isn't that true for a lot of people? I mean, if one is invested a franchise, chances are if placed with a choice, they'd go for an installment in that franchise rather than taking a risk on an unknown franchise. This would be especially true for games, due to their time and cost intensive nature. Yoshi wears his love for Nintendo on his sleeve, but he isn't the only one on these forums to do so (as far as IPs/developers go rather than Nintendo specifically).

Hawki:

Phoenixmgs:
[Yoshi almost certainly seems to stick with "comfort games" (known likes basically) and probably only tried Xenoblade because it had "Nintendo" on the box. Yoshi admits to only playing a few 3rd-party games and only sticking to mainly exclusives

The specifics aside, isn't that true for a lot of people? I mean, if one is invested a franchise, chances are if placed with a choice, they'd go for an installment in that franchise rather than taking a risk on an unknown franchise. This would be especially true for games, due to their time and cost intensive nature. Yoshi wears his love for Nintendo on his sleeve, but he isn't the only one on these forums to do so (as far as IPs/developers go rather than Nintendo specifically).

I guess I worded it a bit wrong. It seems like Yoshi will try exclusives far more than other games. The Xeno series has existed long before Xenoblade and now it's Yoshi's favorite RPG. Unless Monolith Soft just coincidentally got good at making these things with Xenoblade. I'm guessing Yoshi wouldn't have played Platinum's WiiU exclusives if they were merely 3rd-party games.

Phoenixmgs:

I guess I worded it a bit wrong. It seems like Yoshi will try exclusives far more than other games. The Xeno series has existed long before Xenoblade and now it's Yoshi's favorite RPG. Unless Monolith Soft just coincidentally got good at making these things with Xenoblade. I'm guessing Yoshi wouldn't have played Platinum's WiiU exclusives if they were merely 3rd-party games.

I guess, but is that from the perspective of a platform (Switch/Wii U), or the perspective of the publisher/developer (Nintendo)? I mean, yes, Yoshi's a Nintendo fanboy, but like I've said, we all have preferences, and some of them are far more blatant than others. As you well know, for instance, Ezekiel and B-Cell are still discussing games like Max Payne for the umpteenth time, Critical Gaming really likes Final Fantasy, DCross loves Sonic, Samtembo loves Warcraft and Warhammer, etc. All of those are stuff I know without having to look anything up - spend enough time here, you learn people's preferences.

I will admit that I'm in a similar boat to Yoshi here, as Xenoblade is the only Xeno game I've played, but I have it in similar high regard (#4 RPG, #10 game of all time), but getting it at all (in my case, on the 3DS) was a calculated risk. Took me 100 hours and over a year of on and off playing to complete the game. If it hadn't been up to par...well, you get my drift. I generally enjoy RPGs, but have to be selective with them as they're very time intensive.

Phoenixmgs:

And since Yoshi has dragged this out far too long

it takes Two to Tango. you've been dragging this out literally as long as i have. but of course, you're perfect in your own mind and can do no wrong.

Phoenixmgs:
I'm almost positive he has played any other Xeno games either and I'm pretty sure I know the reason why...

if you think you already know the answer the to your question, then there's no bloody point in asking me the question in the first place is there?

Phoenixmgs:
Starting at this post and going a few posts down, Yoshi almost certainly seems to stick with "comfort games" (known likes basically) and probably only tried Xenoblade because it had "Nintendo" on the box.

sounds a lot like how you only try games because they have "Playstation" slapped on the box.

oh and FYI, i bought Xenoblade because it was an interesting looking JRPG game. i started playing it and thought it was a bit boring and didn't bother picking it up again until 2013 when a friend talked the game up to me and i decided to finally sit down and properly play through it the 2nd time. then it ended up becoming one of my favourite games.

Phoenixmgs:
Yoshi admits to only playing a few 3rd-party games and only sticking to mainly exclusives as shown in the following exert:

Yoshi178:

and there's nothing wrong with that. in my experience most of the 1st Party games on both Nintendo systems AND on my Xbox systems are much better than alot of the 3rd Party games that come out on them both. i still can't believe people everywhere even on this board hype up that literal trash that is Grand Theft Auto.

Phoenixmgs:
Oh, and what's the goddamn point of this thread Yoshi? To brag about the Switch selling 5 million like that's even an accomplishment or even matters? The Wii sold more than both the PS3 and 360, that didn't matter either.

and yet people everywhere around the net even on this board used to non stop praise the PS4 from the rooftops when that came out just because it sold a few million. if sales don't matter then why did that happen?

and also just last year and even leading right up until the March 3rd launch people mocked the Switch and said it would never succeed. that it would be a flop in sales on the market just like the Wii U was. this thread is more of a "lol. you guys got proven wrong."

Phoenixmgs:
Who have you made salty?

you it seems. lol.

Phoenixmgs:
The Switch is just going to be another "Nintendo system" that does the same thing every Nintendo system has done since the Gamecube. The most successful the Switch can ever be is taking over Nintendo's own portable market, then does that really change anything? Nope.

^saltyness proven. and good. i'd love another Nintendo Gamecube. that system has some fantastic games and i've actually been buying some of the Gamecube games i missed out on as a kid recently. :)

Hawki:

Critical Gaming really likes Final Fantasy.

HOW DARE YOU SIR!? Oh....wait....that's actually true.

Let me be clear. I don't care that Yoshi is uber hyped for his Switch. More power to him if he is having a blast with the system. My problem is declaring a system a success, when the jury is out on that. And frankly we are what six months from launch now and.....I don't see many games. Certainly not AAA games and certainly nothing new. The Switch has so far only gotten ports of old games, a few old indies, a zelda, and a weird mario game.

I want the Switch to be an awesome console. But frankly I don't see developers jumping at the chance to put games on the system, and therefore it is looking like yet another Wii U to me. The Wii U had a lot of really good games, marios, smash, donkey kongs, etc. But ultimately it failed and had a very short console lifecycle because there wasn't enough 3rd party support. We know the Nintendo has relationships with 3rd party developers, look at the 3DS library, but what we don't see is that same support coming the Switches way and I fear it has to do with Nintendo's requirements and the weak power of the console.

Sure the Switch has sold like hotcakes following launch, somewhere in the realm of 6-7 million now. But the PS4 is at 60 million. The Xbone is in the 30's. The Switch has a long way to go, and while it has done well out the gate, those sales will drop off considerably if games don't start coming for the system.

Yoshi178:
and also just last year and even leading right up until the March 3rd launch people mocked the Switch and said it would never succeed. that it would be a flop in sales on the market just like the Wii U was. this thread is more of a "lol. you guys got proven wrong."

You seem to have missed the point. The switch HASNT succeeded in anything yet. Those sales numbers mean very little this early in the lifecycle, not to mention they do not show how many of those systems have already be "traded in" at Gamestop or other places. They don't show the returned devices from bending, and scratching in the dock.

My local Gamestop had 3 USED Switches on the shelf. Which I find odd, because the system went from impossible to find, to literally everywhere. Toys R Us had 10 sitting in the case, Wallmart currently has three or four, and Gamestop not only has them, but also has them USED!

Fact is, it is too early to be praising your Lord God Nintendo for the godly device that is the Switch. 6 months in and it has nothing remarkable on it. Oh but it has old indies and ports of old 3rd party games. YAY!

Yoshi178:
sounds a lot like how you only try games because they have "Playstation" slapped on the box.

in my experience most of the 1st Party games on both Nintendo systems AND on my Xbox systems are much better than alot of the 3rd Party games that come out on them both. i still can't believe people everywhere even on this board hype up that literal trash that is Grand Theft Auto.

and yet people everywhere around the net even on this board used to non stop praise the PS4 from the rooftops when that came out just because it sold a few million. if sales don't matter then why did that happen?

Phoenixmgs:
since the Gamecube

^saltyness proven. and good. i'd love another Nintendo Gamecube. that system has some fantastic games and i've actually been buying some of the Gamecube games i missed out on as a kid recently. :)

Just about all the games I buy have "Playstation" on the box since they are for Playstation systems... Now Sony published/developed games, I don't buy that many of them. I just bought Danganronpa and Shadow Tactics in fact. Guess what I didn't buy, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Since when does Xbox have better 1st party games than 3rd-party offering? Even in Xbox's "golden age" they only had a couple shooters.

People were praising the PS4 on the Escapist? When? Threads here are about GAMES, not systems (outside of the occasional PC master race circle-jerk thread).

I said SINCE the Gamecube. I'd love for Nintendo to make another Gamecube, that's what I've been wanting Nintendo to do for their last 3 systems. I WANT Nintendo to be relevant again. So, you can go ahead and take back that salt shaker.

Phoenixmgs:

Just about all the games I buy have "Playstation" on the box since they are for Playstation systems...

Holy shit it's almost like alot of the games i buy have "Nintendo" on the box because they are for Nintendo systems!

Phoenixmgs:
Now Sony published/developed games, I don't buy that many of them.

fine. you just love 3rd Party games then rather than exclusives

Phoenixmgs:
Guess what I didn't buy, Uncharted: The Lost Legacy.

Guess what i didn't buy Mario Party 10 until recently when i found it dirt cheap in a preowned bargain bin. still haven't played it.

Phoenixmgs:
Since when does Xbox have better 1st party games than 3rd-party offering?

i'd much rather play Halo and Gears of War rather than Call of Duty and Battlefield

Phoenixmgs:
People were praising the PS4 on the Escapist? When? Threads here are about GAMES, not systems (outside of the occasional PC master race circle-jerk thread).

if you say so...

Phoenixmgs:
I said SINCE the Gamecube. I'd love for Nintendo to make another Gamecube, that's what I've been wanting Nintendo to do for their last 3 systems. I WANT Nintendo to be relevant again.

you obviously haven't been paying enough attention then because the Wii U was much more like a Gamecube than it was like a Wii. small library, but some quality games on there. just like the Gamecube.

Phoenixmgs:
So, you can go ahead and take back that salt shaker.

thanks it'll go great on my hot chips. :)

Yoshi178:

i'd much rather play Halo and Gears of War rather than Call of Duty and Battlefield

you obviously haven't been paying enough attention then because the Wii U was much more like a Gamecube than it was like a Wii. small library, but some quality games on there. just like the Gamecube.

It doesn't matter if the game is 3rd-party or 1st-party, it's the game that matters.

There's far more shooters than COD and BF. For example, Vanquish is Gears on speed.

You're forgetting what the Gamecube was that no other Nintendo system has been since. The Gamecube could play current-gen games during its time.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

It doesn't matter if the game is 3rd-party or 1st-party, it's the game that matters.

There's far more shooters than COD and BF. For example, Vanquish is Gears on speed.

You're forgetting what the Gamecube was that no other Nintendo system has been since. The Gamecube could play current-gen games during its time.

Isnt NBA 2k18 the same game as the XBox n PS versions?

Ellux:
Isnt NBA 2k18 the same game as the XBox n PS versions?

Sports games usually scale well to old hardware compared to other games like say how poor last-gen versions of Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs, Shadow of Mordor, etc. Sports games have a very small game world (the court, field, etc.) and always a set number of characters on screen at once.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here