Nintendo Switch has sold 4.7 Million units to date.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Phoenixmgs:

I detailed why the Switch won't get support already and it has nothing to do with buying the few 3rd party games it gets.

actually it's a really big reason that influence's 3rd Party developers decisions on which platforms they'll develop games for. probably the main reason with power of the console and whether console can handle it or not being the secondary reason.

why do you think the PS1, PS2, Wii and now the PS4 have all of that shovelware as well as their big hit games? because 3rd party devs see the hardware sales of those platforms and then go "oh, there's alot of consoles out there, there's alot more potential for us to make money on those systems. let's put games on it!"

in the case of the Wii, 3rd Party devs also wanted to impress people with fancy graphics and such and the wii was only an SD console. it clearly wasn't powerful enough to run HD games like the PS3 and the 360 could. so the big AAA hitters meant to impress the hardcore gamers were made for the PS3 and 360, and then 3rd Party developers decided to just put simple shovelware type games on the game that were easy to make and didn't cost much to make either.

if power was the main thing developers cared about though, then no freaking way would the PS2 have had all of those 3rd Party big hits on it. Devs would have just made games for the Gamecube and Xbox and left the PS2 out since the PS2 was weaker hardware than the Gamecube and Xbox.

how much money a developer can make on a platform is probably the primary factor in what makes want to develop games for a platform, with how powerful the platform is being the secondary factor afterwards.

Yoshi178:
in the case of the Wii, 3rd Party devs also wanted to impress people with fancy graphics and such and the wii was only an SD console. it clearly wasn't powerful enough to run HD games like the PS3 and the 360 could. so the big AAA hitters meant to impress the hardcore gamers were made for the PS3 and 360, and then 3rd Party developers decided to just put simple shovelware type games on the game that were easy to make and didn't cost much to make either.

if power was the main thing developers cared about though, then no freaking way would the PS2 have had all of those 3rd Party big hits on it. Devs would have just made games for the Gamecube and Xbox and left the PS2 out since the PS2 was weaker hardware than the Gamecube and Xbox.

how much money a developer can make on a platform is probably the primary factor in what makes want to develop games for a platform, with how powerful the platform is being the secondary factor afterwards.

Again, you don't get it. Since you can develop a game for either PC, PS4, Xbone and easily port it across to the two other platforms because they are in the same league as far as power goes, all 3 get all the games basically. Even when Xbone was struggling early (and maybe still is), it still got all the games. When the PS3 started slow, it still got all the games. Right now all the platforms besides the Switch even have the same architecture so it's even easier. So if the Switch ends up selling as great as the Wii did, the install base of the other 3 platforms will greatly eclipse it. The Wii, Wii U, and Switch weren't/aren't in the same league power-wise, thus games would have to be greatly gimped to play on the Switch much like you saw with Dragon Age Inquisition, Watch Dogs, Shadows of Mordor on PS3/360 early this gen. That's why you don't see current-gen games on PS3/360 when they still have big install bases, much bigger than the Switch. PS2 was the least powerful system of its gen but it was still in the same league as everyone else.

I can already tell the Switch isn't going to even get the support it should, the games it can play. If devs actually cared about the system, why isn't it getting games right now like Pyre or Shadow Tactics?

Phoenixmgs:
I can already tell the Switch isn't going to even get the support it should, the games it can play. If devs actually cared about the system, why isn't it getting games right now like Pyre or Shadow Tactics?

You want to know why the Switch isn't getting indies like Pyre and Shadow Tactics? According to a lot of western indie devs it is because NCL won't let NoA and NoE give them dev kits. Apparently they don't want the Switch cheapened by receiving ports of filthy western indies. They only demand the finest Japanese ports.

Deadguy2322:
You want to know why the Switch isn?t getting indies like Pyre and Shadow Tactics? According to a lot of western indie devs it is because NCL won?t let NoA and NoE give them dev kits. Apparently they don?t want the Switch cheapened by receiving ports of filthy western indies. They only demand the finest Japanese ports.

That doesn't surprise me at all as I linked to an article earlier in this thread about how bad it was to work with Nintendo with the Wii U. I don't get why you'd support a product when the company that makes it doesn't really care about supporting it themselves.

Deadguy2322:

Phoenixmgs:

You want to know why the Switch isn't getting indies like Pyre and Shadow Tactics? According to a lot of western indie devs it is because NCL won't let NoA and NoE give them dev kits. Apparently they don?t want the Switch cheapened by receiving ports of filthy western indies. They only demand the finest Japanese ports.

Not only is the Switch not getting ports Western indie games, it's not even getting Japanese ports of Japanese AAA games - no Evil Within 2, no Ni no Kuni 2, no Kingdom Hearts 3, no Monster Hunter World, etc.

Deadguy2322:

Phoenixmgs:

You want to know why the Switch isn?t getting indies like Pyre and Shadow Tactics? According to a lot of western indie devs it is because NCL won?t let NoA and NoE give them dev kits. Apparently they don?t want the Switch cheapened by receiving ports of filthy western indies. They only demand the finest Japanese ports.

That is a heck of a mistake. If an indie dev has proven their worth (Say, Supergiant), Ninty should be tripping over themselves to give them a dev kit.

...Hey wait, hang on. Isn't Stardew Valley a western indie game that's coming to the Switch? 0_o Or did I hear that wrong?

Phoenixmgs:

Again, you don't get it. Since you can develop a game for either PC, PS4, Xbone and easily port it across to the two other platforms because they are in the same league as far as power goes, all 3 get all the games basically. Even when Xbone was struggling early (and maybe still is), it still got all the games.

struggling? the Xbone hasn't sold amazingly but it has sold MUCH better than the Wii U did. like said, more console sales means more opportunity to make money which means devs are more likely t make games for it.

you don't seem to get why the xbox and gamecube libraries were small but PS2 got all the 3rd Party games and shovelware. PS2 was the weakest console of that generation and guess what? it sold over 150 million units. xbox and gamecube sold hardly anything but were both more powerful than the PS2 but they didn't get "all the games" like you say because they didn't get "all the sales"

Yoshi178:
struggling? the Xbone hasn't sold amazingly but it has sold MUCH better than the Wii U did. like said, more console sales means more opportunity to make money which means devs are more likely t make games for it.

you don't seem to get why the xbox and gamecube libraries were small but PS2 got all the 3rd Party games and shovelware. PS2 was the weakest console of that generation and guess what? it sold over 150 million units. xbox and gamecube sold hardly anything but were both more powerful than the PS2 but they didn't get "all the games" like you say because they didn't get "all the sales"

What hasn't sold less than the Wii U? The Vita has probably sold more.

Yet again and again and again, the PS2 was in the same league with regards to power in its generation. You don't need the most powerful piece of hardware but you do need hardware powerful enough to play current-gen games. PS2 totally would've lost that gen if Sony decided to make the PS2 a portable PS1. Why do you constantly bring up shovelware like it's a bad thing? I don't see any PC gamers leaving the PC because of the massive amounts of shovelware the PC gets, which dwarfs any console ever made with regards to shovelware. The Xbox and Gamecube got more support than the Wii or Wii U because their hardware could play the games of that gen. Don't you see that Nintendo doesn't even try to get 3rd-party support anymore, it's just not part of their business strategy at all. No competition against their own games means more sales for those games, which more importantly means selling more plastic figures for $15 that costs $1 or $2 to make. The amiibos are Nintendo's equivalent to a fast food restaurant's soda. Sorry to say, Nintendo probably cares less for their consumers than Sony and even freaking Microsoft, you know, the company that gets initialized as M$. Why would I support such a company?

Phoenixmgs:

Yet again and again and again, the PS2 was in the same league with regards to power in its generation.

whatever makes you feel better.

Why do you constantly bring up shovelware like it's a bad thing?

hold on, you were just complaining about the quality of Switch 3rd party titles and fobbed off games because they were only remasters or in YOUR opinion they weren't good enough quality current 3rd party games because in your opinion people would rather play something like Overwatch than something like Rocket League or WWE 2K18.

make up your mind. with you it seems to be you want LITERALLY EVERYTHING or else you're never going to be happy.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yet again and again and again, the PS2 was in the same league with regards to power in its generation.

Yeah, facts make me feel good, just like ghostbusting makes me feel good.

Yoshi178:

Why do you constantly bring up shovelware like it's a bad thing?

hold on, you were just complaining about the quality of Switch 3rd party titles and fobbed off games because they were only remasters or in YOUR opinion they weren't good enough quality current 3rd party games because in your opinion people would rather play something like Overwatch than something like Rocket League or WWE 2K18.

make up your mind. with you it seems to be you want LITERALLY EVERYTHING or else you're never going to be happy.

Again and again and again...

Phoenixmgs:
Why should I buy Product D when Products A,B,C get GENERALLY every game and Product D gets maybe 10%?

Arkane Studios just announced a new standalone Dishonored title/expansion, I don't even have to look it up and I know PS4,Xbone,PC are getting it and the Switch is not. If I had to buy a Nintendo console (say Reggie had me at gunpoint), I would buy the Wii U because it has Switch's best game and it has Platinum games.

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

Yeah, facts make me feel good, just like ghostbusting makes me feel good.

Yeah. "facts". got any solid evidence to back up your "facts"? just because you claim things to be "facts" doesn't make them actual facts. you do know what the meaning of a "fact" is right?

typical how when it's a Playstation system that's weaker than other consoles, it's still "in the same league" as it's competitors according to people like you.

when it's a Nintendo platform that's weaker, it's MILES behind in terms of power apparently. like a 8-bit game console compared to a console with 3D graphics and HD resolution console type difference considering the way people act about it.

At this point I am sure that there is serious trolling going on in the continuous breathless defence of a shitty corporation.

Yoshi178:
Yeah. "facts". got any solid evidence to back up your "facts"? just because you claim things to be "facts" doesn't make them actual facts. you do know what the meaning of a "fact" is right?

typical how when it's a Playstation system that's weaker than other consoles, it's still "in the same league" as it's competitors according to people like you.

when it's a Nintendo platform that's weaker, it's MILES behind in terms of power apparently. like a 8-bit game console compared to a console with 3D graphics and HD resolution console type difference considering the way people act about it.

What is the Wii closer to graphically; PS2/Xbox/Gamecube or PS3/360?

What is the Wii U closer to graphically: PS3/360 or PS4/Xbone?

Now what is the PS2 closer to graphically: PS1/N64 or Xbox/Gamecube?

Phoenixmgs:

Yoshi178:

What is the Wii closer to graphically; PS2/Xbox/Gamecube or PS3/360?

What is the Wii U closer to graphically: PS3/360 or PS4/Xbone?

Now what is the PS2 closer to graphically: PS1/N64 or Xbox/Gamecube?

Wii U was closer to an Xbones power than the PS3/360's power. people say the Wii U only ran 360 ps3 ports a little bit better which isn't true. it ran PS3 and 360 ports significantly better than the PS3 & 360 versions

there have been reports that Switch isn't quite as powerful, but even closer to an Xbox Ones power than what the Wii U was. now when you compare Switch to an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, yeah those consoles are much more powerful than switch. but the original PS4 and Xbox One aren't that much more powerful than the Switch at all.

Al this talk about console power, why aren't you guys just comparing specs?

Yoshi178:
Wii U was closer to an Xbones power than the PS3/360's power. people say the Wii U only ran 360 ps3 ports a little bit better which isn't true. it ran PS3 and 360 ports significantly better than the PS3 & 360 versions

there have been reports that Switch isn't quite as powerful, but even closer to an Xbox Ones power than what the Wii U was. now when you compare Switch to an Xbox One X and a PS4 Pro, yeah those consoles are much more powerful than switch. but the original PS4 and Xbox One aren't that much more powerful than the Switch at all.

Wii U isn't close to PS4/Xbone. The Wii U has much much worse GPU while only having 1GB of RAM available for games while game data having to always be accessed via slow optical media vs the hard drives of PS4/Xbone.
http://www.ign.com/wikis/xbox-one/PS4_vs._Xbox_One_vs._Wii_U_Comparison_Chart#Hardware_Feature_Comparison

Here's a comparison of DQ Heroes 2 on Switch and PS4 (and Vita). The Switch version only runs at 20fps in battle which much less graphical quality while PS4 runs the game at 60fps with much better fidelity. The Switch version would need Vita graphical quality to run at 60fps, that's how much more powerful the PS4. And, DQ Heroes 2 isn't even a demanding current-gen title and Switch can't even run it at 30fps.

WeepingAngels:

I thought it would be obvious just by looking. Horizon vs Zelda is a HUGE difference in graphical fidelity.

Phoenixmgs:

Here's a comparison of DQ Heroes 2 on Switch and PS4 (and Vita). The Switch version only runs at 20fps in battle which much less graphical quality while PS4 runs the game at 60fps with much better fidelity. The Switch version would need Vita graphical quality to run at 60fps, that's how much more powerful the PS4. And, DQ Heroes 2 isn't even a demanding current-gen title and Switch can't even run it at 30fps.

So that video is proving that the graphics on the PS4 version of the game are better than the Switch version of the exact same game. wow what a bloody shocker!

here's a newsflash for you, i LITERALLY JUST SAID that PS4 is more powerful than the Switch but that the gap between the Switch & PS4 isn't anywhere near as big as you make it out to be. that person literally even says at the start of that video that at first glance you can barely tell the difference between the Switch and the PS4 versions of Dragon Quest Heroes 2.

the way you talk about Switch being underpowered, you make it seem like it's a bloody 32 bit sprite to 3D graphics or SD to HD type leap in the quality of the picture. it's not. it's only when you decide to be a total graphics whore about everything and nitpick at all the very subtle differences like the triangles in the staircase that video points out that you even begin to notice all of these differences.

is the PS4 more powerful than the Switch? uh yes duh. is the power of the Switch still comparable to the power of the PS4? also yes like your own video just proved. so once again, it's funny how when its a Playstation system is underpowered, the PS2 in this case, in peoples opinions like yours, it's still "in the same league" as it's competitors. when it's a Nintendo system that's underpowered though, it's a MASSIVE difference, like a 8bit sprite to 4k resolution 3d graphics type of difference in the eyes of people like yourself.

Phoenixmgs:

WeepingAngels:

I thought it would be obvious just by looking. Horizon vs Zelda is a HUGE difference in graphical fidelity.

It apparently isn't and yet we still don't see specs.

Yoshi178:
So that video is proving that the graphics on the PS4 version of the game are better than the Switch version of the exact same game. wow what a bloody shocker!

here's a newsflash for you, i LITERALLY JUST SAID that PS4 is more powerful than the Switch but that the gap between the Switch & PS4 isn't anywhere near as big as you make it out to be. that person literally even says at the start of that video that at first glance you can barely tell the difference between the Switch and the PS4 versions of Dragon Quest Heroes 2.

the way you talk about Switch being underpowered, you make it seem like it's a bloody 32 bit sprite to 3D graphics or SD to HD type leap in the quality of the picture. it's not. it's only when you decide to be a total graphics whore about everything and nitpick at all the very subtle differences like the triangles in the staircase that video points out that you even begin to notice all of these differences.

is the PS4 more powerful than the Switch? uh yes duh. is the power of the Switch still comparable to the power of the PS4? also yes like your own video just proved. so once again, it's funny how when its a Playstation system is underpowered, the PS2 in this case, in peoples opinions like yours, it's still "in the same league" as it's competitors. when it's a Nintendo system that's underpowered though, it's a MASSIVE difference, like a 8bit sprite to 4k resolution 3d graphics type of difference in the eyes of people like yourself.

I listed the specs for the Wii U (which you claimed was "close" to PS4), which is so far off the PS4/Xbone in what it can actually process.

All I've said is that the Wii U and Switch are closer to PS3/360 than they are to PS4/Xbone, much like the Wii was closer to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube than PS3/360. If your console is closer to last-gen than current-gen, it can't play current-gen games. The fact that Switch runs DQ Heroes 2 at 20fps with much lower graphical fidelity says it all. The Switch is so weak the guy says DQ Heroes 2 is bordering on unplayable.

You don't even realize PS2 wasn't the least powerful system of its gen because Dreamcast was in that gen too. Wasn't there a massive leap in quality from MGS1 to MGS2 (PS1 to PS2)? Where's that kind of leap at from Wii U to Switch? Where's that leap from Gamecube to Wii?

WeepingAngels:

I linked to the specs for Wii U vs PS4/Xbone. I can't find a site with specs for the Switch that doesn't have basically "custom Tegra chip" filled in for CPU/GPU like this link. The differences in DQ Heroes 2 is night and day between the Switch and PS4. The Switch can't even play the game at 30fps with much lower fidelity while PS4 (not Pro) runs it at a near constant 60fps. To think how bad Horizon would look running on the Switch...

Phoenixmgs:

All I've said is that the Wii U and Switch are closer to PS3/360 than they are to PS4/Xbone, much like the Wii was closer to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube than PS3/360.

you are kidding yourself if you actually think that the 360 and PS3 can run games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or hell, even Xenoblade Chronicles X on them.

Phoenixmgs:

WeepingAngels:

I linked to the specs for Wii U vs PS4/Xbone. I can't find a site with specs for the Switch that doesn't have basically "custom Tegra chip"

the reason for that is because Nintendo never actually revealed the specs of the Switch. they never officially gave out specs for the Wii U either. they'd rather focus on showing you the software their system has rather than just "4K resolution and 6 teraflops!".

if you want actual specs for the switch then you're going to have to wait for some random nerd on the internet to dismantle the Switch bit by bit ad tell you what every little bit of its parts inside means.

oh and btw, if we're talking about systems being "underpowered" so much for that "uncompromised 4K" that should have been on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. microsoft especially was hyping up their 4K crap on their new console coming out.

Yoshi178:
the reason for that is because Nintendo never actually revealed the specs of the Switch. they never officially gave out specs for the Wii U either. they'd rather focus on showing you the software their system has rather than just "4K resolution and 6 teraflops!".

I'll bet it has more to do with Nintendo realizing that the specs are just not favorable.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

All I've said is that the Wii U and Switch are closer to PS3/360 than they are to PS4/Xbone, much like the Wii was closer to PS2/Xbox/Gamecube than PS3/360.

you are kidding yourself if you actually think that the 360 and PS3 can run games like Xenoblade Chronicles 2 or hell, even Xenoblade Chronicles X on them.

There's more being processed and rendered in GTAV and PS3/360 runs that.

Yoshi178:
oh and btw, if we're talking about systems being "underpowered" so much for that "uncompromised 4K" that should have been on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. microsoft especially was hyping up their 4K crap on their new console coming out.

PCs can't even do 4K, it's just how to market the systems because 4K is the thing consumers know most, HDR is the more important aspect that the Pro and XboneX allow for. What's not to like about having the option as a console gamer to get better fps or better fidelity? I'd rather have that than Sony selling me plastic for $15 that has $1 worth of content on it.

Yoshi178:
Nintendo rather focus on showing you the software their system has rather than just "4K resolution and 6 teraflops!

Sony makes more software than Nintendo......

Nintendo sells their systems on gimmicks; Wii - motion controls, Wii U - faux tablet, Switch - actual tablet.

Phoenixmgs:

and how much of that software isn't extremely niche and recognized by a large amount of the worlds population? yeah, i could probably count them on my fingers. Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Killzone and Little Big Planet. when it comes to something Shadow of the colossus which Sony fanboys seem to love, i'd literally never even heard of that game until people started to constantly cry about The Last Guardian not having a release date.

i'm pretty sure a hell of a lot more people know who Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Samus, Captain Falcon and Zelda are or at least which franchise's they come than they do about Sony Characters. i'm pretty sure hardly anyone i know knows who the bloody hell Sir Daniel Fortesque is but they'll sure as hell know who Donkey Kong is.

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:

and how much of that software isn't extremely niche and recognized by a large amount of the worlds population? yeah, i could probably count them on my fingers. Uncharted, TLOU, God of War, Killzone and Little Big Planet. when it comes to something Shadow of the colossus which Sony fanboys seem to love, i'd literally never even heard of that game until people started to constantly cry about The Last Guardian not having a release date.

i'm pretty sure a hell of a lot more people know who Mario, Donkey Kong, Kirby, Samus, Captain Falcon and Zelda are or at least which franchise's they come than they do about Sony Characters. i'm pretty sure hardly anyone i know knows who the bloody hell Sir Daniel Fortesque is but they'll sure as hell know who Donkey Kong is.

Since when does popularity matter? Most super popular games aren't really good because they are going for lowest common denominator like GTA or Uncharted. The Team ICO trilogy is the best trilogy gaming has seen, I don't care if they are popular or not, I care how much I enjoy them. Who else but Sony would've funded those games? I'm not just talking Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft; I'm talking ANY publisher from EA to Activision to Ubisoft and beyond. Sony makes games for everyone. You what a shooter, open world game, platformer, AAA adventure game, puzzler platformer, AAA walking simulator, AAA indie game, best MLB game, etc; Sony has you covered. Nintendo just makes the same games over and over again with barely any new IPs; new Mario, new Zelda, new Metroid, new Smash, new Mario Kart, etc. The Switch Zelda and Mario Kart are Wii U ports even.

Phoenixmgs:
Nintendo just makes the same games over and over again with barely any new IPs; new Mario, new Zelda, new Metroid, new Smash, new Mario Kart, etc. The Switch Zelda and Mario Kart are Wii U ports even.

You mean just like Sony and basically every other company?

last time i checked God of war was only released in 2005, 12 years later and there's like 13 games made for the franchise with the franchise havng 2 remaster collections in out of those 13 games and with the new god of war on PS4 coming out being the 13th game in the franchise. Now compare that with Mario Kart which was originally released in 1992. how many games have we got in that series? oh right MK8 Deluxe would be the 9th game in the entire franchise and that series has been going for 25 years now. at least Nintendo pace's themselves when releasing sequels and remasters unlike Sony...

and Nintendo makes alot of new ip's. alot the time the public doesn't give a shit about them like with codename STEAM. that's why you don't hear about them. hell the majority of the public didn't who the fuck Shulk is or what Xenoblade is until they put Shulk in Smash and even then, alot of normies i know still don't know wtf Xenoblade is

Yoshi178:

Phoenixmgs:
Nintendo just makes the same games over and over again with barely any new IPs; new Mario, new Zelda, new Metroid, new Smash, new Mario Kart, etc. The Switch Zelda and Mario Kart are Wii U ports even.

You mean just like Sony and basically every other company?

last time i checked God of war was only released in 2005, 12 years later and there's like 13 games made for the franchise with the franchise havng 2 remaster collections in out of those 13 games and with the new god of war on PS4 coming out being the 13th game in the franchise. Now compare that with Mario Kart which was originally released in 1992. how many games have we got in that series? oh right MK8 Deluxe would be the 9th game in the entire franchise and that series has been going for 25 years now. at least Nintendo pace's themselves when releasing sequels and remasters unlike Sony...

and Nintendo makes alot of new ip's. alot the time the public doesn't give a shit about them like with codename STEAM. that's why you don't hear about them. hell the majority of the public didn't who the fuck Shulk is or what Xenoblade is until they put Shulk in Smash and even then, alot of normies i know still don't know wtf Xenoblade is

Uncharted, TLOU, MAG, Infamous, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Puppeteer, White Knight Chronicles, and several more were all new Sony IPs on PS3.

Lol, normies really? JRPGs are extremely hit and miss like anime and they are so long, I avoid RPGs unless I really think it will be good because the time commitment. Most RPGs (J or W) have shit gameplay, even Witcher so I'm very selective. Most of the time I don't really feel RPGs are worth the time commitment when it's all said and done.

Alright class gather around.
Today we learn how to pretend that one franchise has way too many games by comparing it to a franchise that has even more.

For the sake of the argument's let's assume you're a Nintendo fan, and as such you'll be trying to defend Ninty from accusations of "making the same game over and over" quite a lot. What you do is take one of Nintendo's competitors, such as Sony, and pick one of their flagship franchises - such as God of War, which has published 7 games in 12 years. That's a lot, but compared to what?

Well, you chose Sony's flagship franchise, so let's go with Nintendo's: Mario. It's been around since 1981, so three times as long as God of War, and it has... over 200 games. That's like 6 games per year, as opposed to GoW's 1 game per 1.7 years. Whoops. Not gonna do, class. Let's go with another franchise. How about Mario Kart? It's been around twice as long as God of War and... shit, that has 9 games without even counting spin-offs. That's still more than God of War, which has 7.

How do we prove 9<7? Anybody?

Oh well, this is where we get creative. Let's also count in every God of War collection and remastered version: 5. That makes 12. And there's another game coming out next year, is there not? Fuck it, let's count it in as well. Total: 13 games! Of course about half of those games are either collections, remasters or don't even exist yet, but let's start with that number and only clarify later... and just to be safe, say only 2 of those are collections or remasters instead of 5. Not like anybody's going to tell.

So remember class: impress your readers with a big number and then vaguely clarify that not all of those games actually count while also lying about the number of games that don't. Quiz next week.

WeepingAngels:

Yoshi178:

I'll bet it has more to do with Nintendo realizing that the specs are just not favorable.

Or. y'know, they just have better things to do with their time other than engaging in the pathetic, toxic, penis envy that is specs comparison. And that's before getting into the obvious problem with that argument: that specs don't mean anything if the developers don't know what the hell they're doing. Just like the previous generation, this one is essentially defined by middling developers who don't understand if you're going to be on consoles you have to figure out how to compromise and optimize and that brute force methods don't work. Instead, they just double down on the same flawed methods they used before and are confused as to why their products are considered dull.

Aiddon:

Or. y'know, they just have better things to do with their time other than engaging in the pathetic, toxic, penis envy that is specs comparison. And that's before getting into the obvious problem with that argument: that specs don't mean anything if the developers don't know what the hell they're doing. Just like the previous generation, this one is essentially defined by middling developers who don't understand if you're going to be on consoles you have to figure out how to compromise and optimize and that brute force methods don't work. Instead, they just double down on the same flawed methods they used before and are confused as to why their products are considered dull.

As a corollary, check out the Bought a 144hz monitor, but no games will use it thread. Hardware means nothing if the software just isn't there, and developers would rather use extra hardware power to brute force than optimize properly. Which is sad, because unlike PC's, you can actually optimize for the standardized hardware of consoles relatively easily. Historically, Nintendo's been really good at that.

I'm still curious if we're going to see 4K streaming sans HDR on the Switch. If it's truly an Nvidia Shield tablet with the serial numbers filed off, it's got the hardware.

Really? Huh. I guess the market for bendable consoles is bigger than I thought.

Aiddon:

WeepingAngels:

Yoshi178:

Specs by themselves don't really matter, the most powerful console is far from a guarantee of winning its generation. What a console does need power-wise is to be in the same league with the other consoles. You saw how much of a difference the early current-gen games looked on last-gen systems like Watch Dogs or Shadow of Mordor. Nintendo doesn't get 3rd party support because their hardware isn't up to snuff and it's too much trouble to downgrade the games for devs.

What should of been a good news thread has turned into a back on forth of uneducated jizz from both sides. It's a shame gaming community forums are still full of crap like this.

Phoenixmgs:

Uncharted, TLOU, MAG, Infamous, Folklore, Heavenly Sword, LBP, Heavy Rain, Journey, Flower, Puppeteer, White Knight Chronicles, and several more were all new Sony IPs on PS3.

my point was if you're going to shame Nintendo for doing so many sequels and spin offs then shame Sony as well because they do sequels of things like Uncharted, Killzone, Killzone, Littlebigplanet and TLOU all the time. for example, yeah Uncharted "WAS" a new franchise. but we've had a bloody lot of uncharted titles since that came out.

we've had like 8 uncharted games since on Playstation platforms since the series came out 10 years ago. then you go and whinge about Nintendo doing sequels all the time and include things like Metroid when you complain about them doing it. let's see now Metroid has been around for over 30 years now and as of 2018 will have a total of 15 games released for the series when Metroid Prime 4 comes out. Uncharted came out a decade ago and already has more than half the amount of games the Metroid series has out.

i don't have a problem with sequels at all, in fact i encourage them, i'm just simply pointing out to you that Sony and lots of other companies release sequels and remasters all the time as well since you're whinging about "Nintendo only ever releases the same games" blah blah blah nonsense. at least when Nintendo releases sequels and such there's usually a big gap in between release's or they try to reinvent the series in a new way like with Mario who has been put in so many different types of genres and scenarios it's hard to keep track of how many there are. how much difference is there between each Uncharted game? probably not much.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here