Ubisoft has confirmed that a major Assassin's Creed title will be released in 2011.
The Assassin's Creed series took a two-year break between Assassin's Creed and Assassin's Creed II, but the franchise's third main entry, Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, came just a year later on November 16, 2010. It's looking like the Assassin's Creed series won't get any time off next year either, with Ubisoft's EMEA chief of marketing Geoffroy Sardin confirming that 2011 will feature something "big" from Assassin's Creed.
Despite previous comments that Assassin's Creed would skip a year or two, Sardin echoes Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot's opinion that said otherwise. Guillemot recently mentioned that something Assassin's Creed-related was coming in 2011, and apparently it's bigger than DLC according to Sardin.
Perhaps encouraged by the huge early sales of Brotherhood that Sardin called a "big jump" over the sales of Assassin's Creed II, Ubisoft is going right back to the series in 2011. Sardin told MCV: "Yes, Yves mentioned it last week in our financials - and more details will be forthcoming, but what I can say is that next year we will have another big Assassin's Creed game."
Employees that have touched Assassin's Creed over the years have teased that the series could eventually go to very different places, including World War II, Mayan times, or even Russia like the comic book adaptation. Sardin said these locations are "a good example of what we could do in the coming years in the next video games."
I've got no problem with Ubisoft releasing a new Assassin's Creed game every year as long as it keeps the quality bar high, as it did with Brotherhood. If the next game lets me sneak up on Hitler and push him out a window, even better.