Developer Full Control Studios delivers a launch trailer for Space Hulk, and it may be the most masculine riff on Aliens the world has ever seen.
Space Hulk is a new PC/Mac/iOS strategy game based on the Games Workshop boardgame of the same name. Think of Space Hulk as a small-scale off-shoot of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, then combine that concept with the sort of turn-based strategy seen in the recent XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and you'll have a pretty solid idea of what this latest Space Hulk videogame is all about.
Alternately, you can think of it as a hyper-macho homage to James Cameron's Aliens. You're given control of a small group of soldiers genetically modified to be the ultimate badasses in the universe (seriously, these dudes spit acid and wield chainsaw swords). That would be great news, except that your squad is tasked with exploring a giant, derelict spacecraft (the titular "space hulk") that just so happens to be filled with thousands of hungry Giger-esque extraterrestrials. As a result (and because the game relies heavily on dark corridors and the horrors of being alone in space), the game's strategy sections are surprisingly tense, despite their turn-based nature - or at least that's how it's always worked out in the boardgame.
If that idea appeals to you, watch the launch trailer embedded at top-right, then peruse the following list of features. It's an impressive set, especially given the game's indie roots.
Space Hulk Features
• The first Space Hulk video game in 17 years - available on multiple platforms (PC, Mac and iPad)
• Set in the hugely popular Warhammer 40,000 universe - official license of the legendary boardgame from Games Workshop.
• Turn-based tactical strategy game based on the popular and iconic board game mechanics.
• Blood Angel Terminators - Fight the ferocious Genestealers with heroes of the mighty Blood Angels.
• Fearsome Genestealers with challenging AI - meet unforgiving hordes of Genestealers • Thematic 3D environment - experience the dark labyrinth of a Space Hulk as never before.
• Single player campaign based on the "Sin of Damnation" space hulk - Take on the Sin of Damnation campaign, which includes 3 brand new prequel missions and the 12 missions from the classic board game.
• Multiplayer head-to-head recreating the board game experience against a friend - get in the hot seat and battle it out with a friend.
• Cross platform multiplayer between Windows PC, Mac and iOS - play asynchronous against friends and foes on multiple platforms.
Space Hulk is now available for both Windows and OS X via Steam, and an iOS iteration of the game is slated to appear later this year.