Previously expected to hit theaters May 22, 2015, the film adaptation starring Michael Fassbender will instead arrive August 7, 2015.
The release date for the big screen adaptation of Assassin's Creed by Ubisoft Motion Pictures has been moved to August 7, 2015. Production company New Regency Pictures confirmed the release date today via Twitter. Box Office Mojo previously reported that the film would be released a few months earlier, on May 22, 2015. Created expressly for film and television adaptations of Ubisoft franchises, Ubisoft Motion Pictures partnered with New Regency last year. Ubisoft has held the tightly to the reins of the project, with Sony Pictures, DreamWorks, Universal and Warner Bros. all balking at the company's demands for creative control. While there is still no news as to which dashing cloak-and-dagger assassin Michael Fassbender will play, New Regency confirmed that shooting would begin sometime next year.
Fassbender, who played the android David in Prometheus and Magneto in X-Men: First Class, told The Daily Beast last month that he had heard of Assassin's Creed but has not played the game. "I don't have a video game player ... that's not what they're called," says Fassbender. "I met up with the guys from Ubisoft and they told me the story behind it, and I thought it was very interesting - the idea of reliving memories."
A director has not yet been announced for the film. British playwright Michael Lesslie penned the first draft of the script. Rewrites for the script are being done by Scott Frank, the Academy Award nominated screenwriter whose recent work includes both The Wolverine and Marley & Me. Take from that what you will - Frank obviously knows how to adapt beloved material into satisfying screenplays.