Bungie: "The Taken King is more than DLC--it's a game."
In a blog post Thursday, Bungie discussed details regarding the upcoming expansion for Destiny, stressing that The Taken King will be more than just a DLC.
"We've already said that we'll be kicking off the second year of Destiny with a major expansion. On the road to launch we plan to prove that The Taken King is more than DLC - it's a game."
The $40 DLC package is scheduled for release on September 15, and Bungie hoped to highlight the value of the DLC well in advance. According to the post, The Taken King will feature new missions, new sidequests, new weapons, and new narrative among other things. You can view a full list below.
In addition, Bungie promises to "explore a range of topics that we know are important to you" in the coming weeks, "including weapon rebalancing, economy improvements, an overhauled quest experience, bounty enhancements, faction allegiances, end game content, and more."
"We've learned a lot these last ten months - about the game as well as the people we're playing it with. If you've been adventuring alongside us through The Dark Below and House of Wolves, you know our creative process follows an evolving playbook. The Taken King will present its own unique leap forward, and we're excited to unpack it for you this summer."
The full list of basics according to Bungie:
- New story missions and an array of sidequests that conspire to tell the story of our battle to defend our Solar System against Oryx and his Taken army
- New narrative driven by cinematic cutscenes starring an engaging cast of characters
- New Exotic Weapons, Exotic Armor, and Exotic Questlines
- The Dreadnaught, a full new destination, with unique secrets, rituals, and treasures to uncover
- A new breed of enemy combatants, The Taken, armed with new abilities and weapons
- An increased Level Cap, and new ways for your Guardian to grow more powerful
- The most substantial injection of new, unique, and redesigned weapons, armor, and talents to date
- New subclasses with all new Supers and abilities
- New cooperative Strikes with unique and dynamic new Boss battles
- Redesigned and reimagined Strikes - Dust Palace, Undying Mind, and Cerberus Vae III - are now overrun by the Taken
- New Crucible multiplayer maps with new Crucible modes, including the previously revealed Rift and Mayhem
- And, of course, last but not least, our biggest six-player Raid yet.