Welcome to the Participation and Rules page for March Mayhem! Below you will find everything you need to know about participation, voting, gaining entries for Origin PC's great prize and the forum rules. If you have any additional questions, please leave them in our March Mayhem forum.
Good Luck! Prepare to enter the Mayhem.
How To Participate
It's easy to begin supporting your favorite developers in March Mayhem! First, you must be logged into your The Escapist account. If you are not a The Escapist community member, you can register for a free account by clicking here, or Login with Facebook. (Please note that creating multiple accounts will result in all of your accounts being banned and all votes negated.)
Everyone can vote and participate but you must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible for prizes.
If you are participating before March 14th, fill out your bracket here. Filling out the bracket does not automatically cast your vote, but does grant you 25 entries into the random prize giveaways!
Please note, developers are allowed to promote in any way they wish EXCEPT for promising or giving away prizes if they win.
Each match-up you vote in grants you another entry towards winning one of the amazing Alienware prizes (this will link to the Prizes page). Voting can be done two different ways:
- Click on the "VOTE" button from our main bracket page, and a match-up page will pop up. Go through the list and vote on each of the match-ups, then head over to the forums to chat!
- Voting is also available via each match-up thread in our official March Mayhem forums. Just click any of the threads and there will be a click-able link within each thread.
Each round lasts 48 hours. If there is a tie, the match-up will have another 24 hours of open voting until a winner is announced.
Filling Out Your Bracket
Before March 14th, you are able to fill out your own bracket with who you think will win each match-up and win the whole tournament. Use this as your predictions for the tournament. While there will be a couple badges given out, the brackets are for fun, bragging rights AND they get you 25 entries toward the random drawing of an Alienware laptop. To begin making your choices, click here. Once on the page, click the "Begin to Vote" button in the middle of the page or click on any of the match-ups. A pop-out frame will then be displayed to make voting easier. Click the "VOTE" button of the developer you wish to support for that match-up and then click the "Next" button on the right side of the pop-up. Once you have gone through all of the match-ups for each round, the page will automatically save.
Please note, you are welcome to make as many changes as you like to your bracket before March 14th. Just remember, if you change one choice, it may change part of your bracket as well, so update your bracket accordingly.
As you fill out your bracket, remember that you are competing for a nice limited edition badge! Each round has a point total associated with it, so the more match-ups you choose correctly, the more points you will get overall. Here is the breakdown of the points system:
- Round 1 = 1 point per match-up
- Round 2 = 3 point per match-up
- Round 3 = 5 point per match-up
- Round 4 = 7 point per match-up
- Round 5 = 9 point per match-up
- Round 6 = 11 point per match-up
At the end of the tournament, the top 3 bracket owners will get special limited edition badges. To view how you and the rest of the bracket owners are doing, make sure to keep visiting the Leaderboard Page or click on the "Leaderboard" tab at the top of the page.
On March 14h, you can begin casting your votes. Below is a schedule for each round, with all rounds starting at approximately noon Eastern Standard Time. Make sure to cast your vote for each round. Remember: every vote gets you another entry towards the prizes!
- Round 1: March 14th - 16th at 12:00PM EST
- Round 2: March 17th - 19th at 12:00PM EST
- Round 3: March 21st - 23rd at 12:00PM EST
- Round 4: March 24th - 26th at 12:00PM EST
- Round 5: March 28th - 30st at 2:15PM EST (edit)
- Round 6: March 31st - April 4th at 12:00PM EST
As mentioned above, Alienware is sponsoring some amazing prizes! Head over to the Prize Page to check out all of them.
Also, your favorite developers also have a chance at winning some amazing ad packages, right here on The Escapist!
Picking a Winner
- This event will be open from February 28th, 2011 until approximately 12:00PM ET on April 4th, 2011.
- Winners will be chosen at random on April 5th and contacted via email with 24 hours to respond.
- Failure to reply within 24 hours will negate the previous entry and another winner will be chosen.
- The Escapist reserves the right to negate unclaimed prizes after 3 attempts.
- Once a winner has been verified, the winner will have to fill out an affidavit to verify age and a W9 for tax purposes (or their country's tax form if any).
Winning Prizes and Extra Votes
There are a ton of different ways for you to participate in March Mayhem! And each gives you more entries towards the prizes.
- Your Bracket - Filling out a bracket before March 14th will give you 25 entries automatically, regardless of who you choose.
- Voting - Each match-up you vote in gets you an extra entry. If you vote in every match-up, that is 63 entries just for clicking a button.
- Facebook - Like The Escapist Magazine Facebook page and post your Escapist username for 10 extra entries! (i.e. Escapist username = Spinwhiz). You can find our page by clicking here.
- Twitter - You can Tweet once per round, per match-up, giving you the potential for another 63 prize entries and helping out your studio of choice twice as much!
- Follow @TheEscapistMag
- After voting in each match-up via the pop-up display, a Twitter box will become visible. All you have to do is click on that and your tweet is ready to be posted.
- After tweeting, your developer will automatically get a second vote AND you will get another entry towards the Grand Prize drawing.
- There is no external method of Tweeting for this tournament.
Please remember, you MUST update your Escapist profile with your Twitter username or we can't track you. If we can't track you, none of your tweets will count. To sign up for your free Twitter account, click here and make sure to follow @TheEscapistMag.
The Forum Rules
The following rules are for posting and participating in discussion within the March Mayhem forums. If you break any of these rules you will be given a warning which will negate your vote for that round. The second time you will be suspended for a month and all possible prizes, awards, badges or otherwise will be revoked and your votes will no longer count. This ban is for the entire site, so be nice.
- Don't Be A Jerk - This rule trumps any other. Any loophole you think you've found in any other rule is covered by this one. If you make our forums a less pleasant place to be, we don't want you here.
- Have Respect for Others - Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion, but no one is entitled to attack others for sharing, or not sharing, that opinion. If you can't communicate without using combative, aggressive, or demeaning language, then please keep those comments to yourself, or be shown the door. Deliberately inflammatory threads; posts written with the sole intention of irritating people; attacks toward or inappropriate commentary regarding The Escapist staff, creators, or other posters; or attempts to derail a thread will be removed, as will your forum privileges.
- Have Respect for the Site and its Content - We put a lot of work into the content on the site, and if you've just shown up to trample on that hard work, we will remove your comments and ask you to leave. Constructive criticism is welcomed; negativity for its own sake is not. Further, discussions instructing or otherwise advocating the circumvention of The Escapist's advertisements, security mechanisms, media protections or similar facilities will not be tolerated. Feedback about March Mayhem will be available at the end of March Mayhem. If you think you have a better option or idea for next year, that is where and when we want to hear from you.
- Put Some Effort Into Your Communication - A well-made thread or a well-written comment engages its audience and facilitates discussion. We do ask that posters take just a little time to make their posts as readable as possible and keep their responses on topic. We also ask that you take a moment to check your spelling and grammar.
- Use our Forums Appropriately - Our forums are a place to talk with like-minded people, not a place to advertise your blog or YouTube channel. Your profile has a place for such things, and that is where it should stay. Similarly, posts including, advocating, or linking to illegal or adult material are a very quick way to end your time as part of The Escapist community and March Mayhem. To post in the rest of The Escapist forums, you will need to agree to another set of terms.
- Posting Pics or Videos - Any pictures or videos that are vulgar, racist, hateful, or contain advertisements or nudity will be taken down immediately. When posting pictures or video, we request that you use spoiler tags: bracket, spoiler, close bracket - LINK - bracket, forward slash, spoiler, close backet.
- Slander - we encourage all of our developers to promote in any and every way they choose to alert their fans. The only rule is they cannot promise anything to their fanbase if they win. If anyone states a developer is cheating and cannot back it up with evidence, you will be automatically banned for a month and March Mayhem for you is over. Stating anyone is cheating is serious business and should only be delivered via private message to Spinwhiz. Posting your "statement" in the forums will have it removed automatically and you will be suspended.
- Low Content Posts are OKAY HERE - like in any sporting event, cheering for your team is a series of low content posts and in the March Mayhem forums that is encouraged. However, making a blatant negative statement about an opposing developer from who you have chosen (i.e. X Sucks!) or making it personal (i.e. You suck!) or spewing hate (i.e. People who like X suck!) will get you suspended. We want to encourage debate and discussion, not hate. If someone is attacking you, use the REPORT button, click on their name to ignore them and then walk away. Getting into it with the other person will only get you both banned. Remember, all you have to do is walk away from your computer.
- Messaging - If you have a valid concern during March Mayhem, you are welcome to send a private message to Spinwhiz or one of the moderators but please be aware, the staff gets a lot of PMs, emails and IRC chat requests every day, so it may take time for us to get back to you. If something is broken (like a link) or part of the voting isn't working, please let one of us know immediately via this support link (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/contact/). The forums get a bit full during March Mayhem and it is difficult for us to see every post. However, if you are sending a message just to voice your opinion about March Mayhem, we still want to hear it but please save it until the end of the tournament to post in our feedback forum. If you are sending a message to complain or ask why a particular developer is in over another, we will not respond.
March Mayhem is supposed to be about fans from all over the world coming together to vote for their favorites and be introduced to developers and games they may not have heard of. Please be respectful of each other, we are all here because we love games.
By participating in the contest, contestants grant Themis Media the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the submission of text and the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. The entry becomes the property of Themis Media and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Media with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.
Winners will be chosen at random from total pool of entries on April 9th, 2012 by Themis Media employees. All winners chosen will be considered void if no reply is given within 24 hours of the postmarked email and all prizes will be released back to Themis Media.
Employees of Themis Media, and their subsidiaries or affiliates, and any family members and/or household members of these employees, are excluded from the contest.
Entrants release Themis Media, Origin PC, and its respective parent divisions, affiliates, officers, subsidiaries, agents, employees and all others associated with the development and execution of this contest from and against any liability with respect to or in any way arising from this contest and the awarding and use of the prizes.
Tampering with the contest in any manner is prohibited. Themis Media reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine whether the contest has been tampered with. Themis Media reserves the right to disqualify any entrant it suspects or has determined, in its sole discretion, has tampered with the promotion or submitted multiple entries [if this is prohibited]. If Themis Media determines that the contest has been tampered with, it reserves the right to terminate the contest without awarding any prizes. Themis Media shall not be responsible for any entry not received due to network outages; failed, incomplete, garbled, or delayed computer transmissions; online failures; hardware, software or other technical malfunctions or disturbances; or any other communications or transmission failure.
PRIZE CONDITIONS: All prizes are subject to availability. Winner may make no substitution or transfer of prize. All federal, state and local income taxes are sole responsibility of winner.