Why do people hate Ed Hardy?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I got into a fiery argument with a coworker today, just because I wore an ed hardy shirt. I personally love the brand and I always find loads of it at second hand stores and goodwills. So even if it's outdated, it's still pretty!
But he just couldn't let it go and kept ripping on my favorite shirt... It quite upset me how this person who I thought was a nice guy just drilled me into the ground because I like the thing he didn't.

But as my dear colleague informed me, apparently, there's indeed huge hard-core haters that just get angry whenever it comes up, and most people don't like any of it and will take the chance to make fun of it whenever they can.

Me being completely oblivious to trends, along with me generally not giving a fuck about fashion, I was not aware that wearing shirts and sweaters with colorful flashy artwork makes me a douche. (Or whatever the female equivalent of that is)

So I ask the internet council (you guys) the question, what do people have against this very specific brand? Is there some big anti-color conspiracy I don't know about?

I've never personally heard about any controversy surrounding Ed Hardy or anything, but I suppose it could be down to two things:

1) People hate it because there's some kind of bad association with it like there is with fedoras.
2) People just hate it because it can be rather popular.

Those are just my guesses. They may be wrong, and probably are, but that's where I'd put my money with my lack of knowledge.

That particularly brand of clothing is notorious not only for how niggardly (cheap) the clothes feel, but they're overpriced and the clothes are synonymous with douchebags.

The brand is heavily associated with douchebag guys who want to look hardcore at the clubs, at least that's the condensed answer from urbandictionary.

I personally don't find them appealing as they seem far too gaudy for me, but I dislike drawing attention to myself and usually wear very inconspicuous, subtle clothing. If you are enjoying your Ed Hardy clothes, keep wearing them OP. Don't worry about what other people think.

I didn't even know there was a brand named Ed Hardy. The only brands I know are the ones that make anime T-shirts.

I don't know what Ed Hardy is. But seriously though, WTF, getting worked up like that over a piece of cloth. Did it have a swastika painted over it or something?

I'll let the internet explain this one: just do google images for "guys in Ed Hardy" and you'll pretty much see what the common stereotype is of people who wear it (hint: a lot of them look like they showed up to the casting call for "Jersey Shore").

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a woman in Ed Hardy gear, so I have no idea if there is any sort of association there.

Ihateregistering1:
I'll let the internet explain this one: just do google images for "guys in Ed Hardy" and you'll pretty much see what the common stereotype is of people who wear it (hint: a lot of them look like they showed up to the casting call for "Jersey Shore").

To be honest, I don't think I've ever seen a woman in Ed Hardy gear, so I have no idea if there is any sort of association there.

Holy cow, the homogenization is terrifying.

So yeah... the Google search revealed that Affliction and Ed Hardy clothing is colloquially known as "The Douchbag Brand", so I can imagine someone snapping over it.

I say "Take Ed Hardy Back".

I'm very wary of any clothing brand that is also a brand of wine.

I just googled "Ed hardy douchebag" and I suppose you could just google "anything douchebag" and get similar results.

Ihateregistering1:

I know one. She's a big fan of these short Ed Hardy dresses. She gets naked in front of a webcam for a living. I'm not saying there's a connection between the two, I'm actually kind of jealous when she shows me the money she takes from online perverts.

People hate it because of the stereotype obnoxious dude with spiked gel hair, going to clubs and getting drunk all the time, acting like an ass...all wear Ed Hardy shirts.

If you like'em keep on wearing them! Bonus points for when you completely trick people when the assume you're a douche and you turn out different.

It's not solely because of the stereotype. It's also because they're pretty meh looking shirts.

Here's where I heard of Ed Hardy in the first place: Garfunkel and Oates' song This party Just Took a Turn for the Douche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHH3brmhPyw

Spaceman Spiff:
Here's where I heard of Ed Hardy in the first place: Garfunkel and Oates' song This party Just Took a Turn for the Douche http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHH3brmhPyw

Mein Gott... I was just on a bus today with a bunch of people lifted straight from that vid. It was painful. ;___;

Its just people who think that the clothing you wear is important

If you like it, wear it and ignore 'em, you'll live longer :)

lacktheknack:

Ihateregistering1:

Holy cow, the homogenization is terrifying.

So yeah... the Google search revealed that Affliction and Ed Hardy clothing is colloquially known as "The Douchbag Brand", so I can imagine someone snapping over it.

I say "Take Ed Hardy Back".

I think I actually have a much greater disdain for people who wear "Affliction" and "Tapout" t-shirts than for those who wear Ed Hardy. As far as I'm concerned, unless you actually do MMA, you shouldn't be wearing those. It's like a high school kid wearing a letter jacket when he doesn't actually play a Varsity sport.

If you want to have some fun, go to a sports bar on a night where there is a big UFC pay-per-view fight, and check out all the horrendously out of shape dudes and guys who've clearly never fought anyone rocking Tapout and Affliction T-shirts.

Because Ed Hardy was a well respected tattooist and artist until he sold out to Christian Audigier. Once Audigier took over he took so many iconic images of old school tattoos and bedazled them and sold them as some BS bro-wear. I personally dislike the entire look of the cursed things and most of the people I see wearing them are douchebags with fake orange tans, the classic spiked hair and bad attitude of people who think they are somehow above everyone else. I don't follow fashion so I am only referring to people I have observed wearing them.

But yeah sparkly dragons and unicorns? Yuck!

I think I actually have a much greater disdain for people who wear "Affliction" and "Tapout" t-shirts than for those who wear Ed Hardy. As far as I'm concerned, unless you actually do MMA, you shouldn't be wearing those. It's like a high school kid wearing a letter jacket when he doesn't actually play a Varsity sport.

If you want to have some fun, go to a sports bar on a night where there is a big UFC pay-per-view fight, and check out all the horrendously out of shape dudes and guys who've clearly never fought anyone rocking Tapout and Affliction T-shirts.[/quote]

Haha yeah I see that all the time out here in LA. The best part is how macho and homophobic a lot of them are. Yet they are watching an event where sweaty dudes roll around each other and try to mount the other to show dominance..

Johnny Novgorod:
I don't know what Ed Hardy is. But seriously though, WTF, getting worked up like that over a piece of cloth. Did it have a swastika painted over it or something?

No, it was a purple tank top with dragons, roses and stick-on gemstones =( Nothing offensive of anything.

keniakittykat:

Johnny Novgorod:

No, it was a purple tank top with dragons, roses and stick-on gemstones =( Nothing offensive of anything.

...Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Then again, I only recently realised that over half of my t-shirts have some form of skull on them...

keniakittykat:

Johnny Novgorod:

What do you do? That doesn't sound like appropriate work attire for any job I've ever heard of.

Wintermute:

I know one. She's a big fan of these short Ed Hardy dresses. She gets naked in front of a webcam for a living. I'm not saying there's a connection between the two, I'm actually kind of jealous when she shows me the money she takes from online perverts.

Of course not.

AccursedTheory:

keniakittykat:

Johnny Novgorod:

What do you do? That doesn't sound like appropriate work attire for any job I've ever heard of.

I work for customer service at the call center of an electronics webshop. We are aloud to wear whatever we want since we're in front of a computer all day. Some women even have huge cleavage and mile-high-heels or guys with 'fashionably ripped' jeans and sneakers that are falling apart. But dragons on an otherwise regular shirt? That's one step too far?

keniakittykat:

AccursedTheory:

keniakittykat:

I work for customer service at the call center of an electronics webshop. We are aloud to wear whatever we want since we're in front of a computer all day. Some women even have huge cleavage and mile-high-heels or guys with 'fashionably ripped' jeans and sneakers that are falling apart. But dragons on an otherwise regular shirt? That's one step too far?

Tank tops are not shirts.

But fair enough. Was just wondering.

Guh, this is why I stick to Hawaiian Shirts, and other gaudy clothing. There's no politics, you just make everyone upset.

PSEUDO-HIPSTERS UNITE!

Unless you're actually BEHAVING like a douche, then your clothing isn't really an issue with me.

Honestly, that tank top sounds kinda awesome...and I'm a straight male.

keniakittykat:
I got into a fiery argument with a coworker today, just because I wore an ed hardy shirt. I personally love the brand and I always find loads of it at second hand stores and goodwills. So even if it's outdated, it's still pretty!
But he just couldn't let it go and kept ripping on my favorite shirt... It quite upset me how this person who I thought was a nice guy just drilled me into the ground because I like the thing he didn't.

But as my dear colleague informed me, apparently, there's indeed huge hard-core haters that just get angry whenever it comes up, and most people don't like any of it and will take the chance to make fun of it whenever they can.

Me being completely oblivious to trends, along with me generally not giving a fuck about fashion, I was not aware that wearing shirts and sweaters with colorful flashy artwork makes me a douche. (Or whatever the female equivalent of that is)

So I ask the internet council (you guys) the question, what do people have against this very specific brand? Is there some big anti-color conspiracy I don't know about?

becasue they are filled with unrelated good looking but meaningless cut out tattoo stamps with a mediocre quality at a ridiculously high price made by an arrogant douchebag.

Fuck the haters, if he keeps on you tell him to kindly shut his mouth. It may look stupid but if you like it you like it.

trty00:
Guh, this is why I stick to Hawaiian Shirts, and other gaudy clothing. There's no politics, you just make everyone upset.

PSEUDO-HIPSTERS UNITE!

*looks at avatar* You...might want to reconsider that and disperse instead.

OT: I've never even heard of Ed Hardy before this. Walmart clothes shopping, amirite?

I'll let the ladies of Garfunkel and Oates explain this one for me:

If you don't want to watch the video, the entire brand is associated with fratboys and the kind of douchebags who hang out at clubs[1]. I'm having a hard time thinking of a piece of clothing with as strong of a negative connotation; even a fedora can be pulled off by the right person in the right situation. For Ed Hardy, there is no right situation, and the right person is exactly the reason everyone hates it.

[1] Not that all people who hang out at clubs are douchebags, I mean a specific breed of douchebag that happens to enjoy clubbing. Think Jersey Shore.

trty00:

PSEUDO-HIPSTERS UNITE!

Huzah? xD

I personally don't really like the style, but what another person wants to wear is entirely up to them. A lot of people might take issue with it because of shows like The Jersey shore but it is really none of your co-workers business what you want to wear at work. If it is OK with your manager, then there really shouldn't be an issue.

Speaking of Jersey shore, this is quite a funny parody, courtesy of Craig Ferguson:

Nice, lots of stereotyping going on in this thread! Though I'm unsure if people are just relaying the stereotype or believe in it themselves.

I'm not from America but Ed Hardy stuff never really took hold over hear, you saw the odd bag, leggings and maybe phone case but guys certainly never touched it.

If you like them, wear them. Don't judge a book by its cover and all that.

As for the affliction tops thing that has creeper up, how many people wear team colours? NFL kits, nba kits, football kits, hockey kits... Wearing replica colours of a team you support is okay in loads of different sports but try and do that with mma and you're a douche? I guess you think wearing a gaming related top is okay though? Nerd, probably live in your mum's basement, drinking mountain dew and some kind of cheese based corn snack, as your neck beard grows over your double chin.

I own two affliction tops 'cos I like how they look, why do you get your clothes? I also have a handful of gaming related tops and I don't fit the above stereotypes.

The affiliation with Jersey Shore guys is one thing. More importantly, it's really tacky.

I guess there's a strong affiliation between Ed Hardy and douchbags.

After a quick Google image search, I've come to the conclusion that I too dislike the Ed Hardy brand.

The art's kind of gross and gaudy. It feels cheap.

Cowabungaa:
The affiliation with Jersey Shore guys is one thing. More importantly, it's really tacky.

This would be my stance on it.
I just think the clothes look nasty.
Tacky is the perfect word, really.

Edit: I would like to point, however, that your co-worker was totally out of line for publically berating you for your choice of clothing if you're workplace doesn't have a dress code.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked