WTF is a Red Piller?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Ok so I've been seeing this phrase pop up in the forums in the past few days, and I've no clue what it's trying to describe.

I'm assuming based on the pop culture context, that it's referring to the Matrix, and someone who took the Red Pill, and thus someone who I guess "see's the Truth of the world" ??

I dunno, the context in which it has been used that I've seen, assumes I already know the definition of it, and I've only seen it over the past day or so.

So wtf is the term Red Piller talking about?

I believe, though I have not heard the term before, that it refers to someone who frequents and follows the teachings of the subreddit "theRedPill", which is a pick up artist subreddit. They are not well liked.

A Red Piller is essentially someone who believes that women are actually the privileged group instead of men. The argument I've heard is such: Although women don't inhabit the very highest echelons of power, the vast majority of men don't either. So on the base level, women have it better. People hold doors open for them, they get less severe sentences (and charged less) in court, a woman can get men to give them free things at a club whereas if a man asked for the same from a woman he'd be told to fuck off, women have large and efficient support groups while men don't, etc.

But as Mocmocman said, they're also pickup artists. I haven't seen it myself, but supposedly they have 'calculated' responses and personality traits for you to imitate in order to bag most women. They justify it as saying that changing your personality to something they're looking for is no different from women putting on makeup.

But as I've said, I've never actually visited the place myself, so take this all with a grain of salt.

Kopikatsu puts it too kindly, IMO. Most of what I've seen from RedPill is uncontested approval of rape apologetics, dehumanization of women (seen quite a lot of threads telling how to "train your woman" and shit like that), claims that men are superior in all forms, that they owe sex to men as a form of currency, etc, etc, etc. Generally the most miosgynist place you'll find on Reddit.

Here's a few revolting thoughts from them.

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2013/10/31/red-piller-training-a-loyal-well-behaved-dog-isnt-much-different-than-training-a-loyal-well-behaved-girlfriendplatefwb/

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/02/28/red-pill-theorist-women-are-like-children-except-you-can-have-sex-with-them/

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2014/05/22/red-pill-dude-i-dont-hate-women-i-just-think-theyre-vindictive-hurtful-hateful-solipsitic-child-stealing-sociopaths-who-deserve-no-respect/

http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2013/12/15/red-piller-unless-white-women-start-shtting-out-more-babies-western-civilization-is-doomed/

Yeah yeah yeah, "biased source blah blah blah". These aren't fabrications or anything, though. Oh, did I mention that one of the more well-known RedPillers, a man known as Matt Forney, wrote an article entitled "How to beat your girlfriend or wife and get away with it"? Its 100% genuine, not some sort of sick parody or anything. I'm not even going to link it because its so messed up.

Oh, and, uh, I forgot - they use "Alpha" and "Beta" unironically. That alone should be warning enough.

I see, interesting. Thanks for the clarification everyone.

Kopikatsu:
A Red Piller is essentially someone who believes that women are actually the privileged group instead of men. The argument I've heard is such: Although women don't inhabit the very highest echelons of power, the vast majority of men don't either. So on the base level, women have it better. People hold doors open for them, they get less severe sentences (and charged less) in court, a woman can get men to give them free things at a club whereas if a man asked for the same from a woman he'd be told to fuck off, women have large and efficient support groups while men don't, etc.

But as Mocmocman said, they're also pickup artists. I haven't seen it myself, but supposedly they have 'calculated' responses and personality traits for you to imitate in order to bag most women. They justify it as saying that changing your personality to something they're looking for is no different from women putting on makeup.

But as I've said, I've never actually visited the place myself, so take this all with a grain of salt.

You pretty much have it down.

It's called redpilling because of that scene in the Matrix. You know that scene, when Morpheus offers Neo the red pill or blue pill, and the blue pill will resume his life in fake mediocrity and the red pill will show him the uncomfortable truth. Red pillers see themselves as having been awakened to the uncomfortable truth that women have it better than men, and so on.

I wouldn't quite say they focus on being pickup artists, though. I'd more say what they do is change a woman in a relationship to bend to their will, because they say that in most relationships it's the man having to bend to the will of the woman.

It's... interesting, to keep my opinion out of the matter.

Well, that's a side of the internet I'm not surprised exists but didn't need to look into. Now I know where to stay clear of.

Somedays I just want to close the browser and not open ever again...

I first found the term on /pol/ (it's one of the shit 4chan boards) a year or so ago and it pretty much meant someone who "sees the truth of the world". They are interested in world events and generally follow a conservative viewpoint while harboring resentment towards women, blacks, jews etc.. Obviously there are opposing viewpoints everywhere, it's not a complete circlejerk, but as I said, it's an overall shit board.

I know about the red pill subreddit too, but it's more of a PUA/Men's rights circlejerk subreddit, with heavy resentment towards women.

I think it's pathetic. Even if I agreed with some of the things they say I cannot support resentment/bigotry in any way. The real truth for bigots is to realise that resentment is a weakness. Acting on resentment perpetuates almost every single demographic related problem in the world. I don't think it's the biggest reason, but I believe it's a major one.

Most PUAs harbour and act on resentment towards women. While realising their weakness is what makes them struggle to find women, creating a facade and making sex/relationships such a major life goal is ridiculous, and will ultimately make you a small man. A strong (or even normal) person wouldn't ever worry about it.

How's that for a red pill?

MarsAtlas:
Oh, and, uh, I forgot - they use "Alpha" and "Beta" unironically. That alone should be warning enough.

And they follow this stupidity as well. The "Alpha" and "Beta" statuses within packs of wolves actually don't exist. It definitely doesn't exist in the world of humans either, but if they represented anything, they should represent war generals, commanders and political leaders, not people who have sex with women a lot.

I'd like to clarify somethign ITT. There's two types of redpillers. They do get confused because they both have anti-feminist undertones, but there's definitely two seperate ideologies.

Oh and yes, I'm gonna play devils advocate.

1. The "Women are privileged" type. This is the type of Redpiller who does frequent the subreddit The Red Pill. They're basically the "Get laid brigaide" they do succumb to armchair psychology that to some, may seem misogynistic but I think that much is subjective. It's not that they hate women, it's that they perhaps have an odd and particularly polarizing view on sexual psychology. a lot which turns people away from them.

2. This type's obsessed with McCarthyism and Fordism, the abuse of the working class since the industrial revoloution and social engineering. They seem to advocate the return of the nuclear family, believing a child needs multiple siblings in order to properly grow & socially, and both parents involved in their life in order to grow a moral sense. They cite the fact that men who grow up without a trusted father figure are incredibly more statistically likely to end up in prison than not. They also, like most other modern 21st century people, think they've stumbled on some massive conspiracy called "The government is often corrupt."

The second type often brings up interesting points when not on one of their tinfoil government rants, the first type is really just PuA's, pay them no mind if you want a relationship, pay them mind if you wanna get laid.

Fishyash:
And they follow this stupidity as well. The "Alpha" and "Beta" statuses within packs of wolves actually don't exist. It definitely doesn't exist in the world of humans either, but if they represented anything, they should represent war generals, commanders and political leaders, not people who have sex with women a lot.

And even if it was about who got the most sex, a beta male wouldn't be what they think it is.

In nature a beta male is one of those jockeying for the alpha position, and they tend to get second choice of females. What these people are thinking of are omega males.

I thought it was a nod to The Matrix, "someone who has just recently opened up his eyes to a new reality" (i.e. taken a red pill).

Johnny Novgorod:
I thought it was a nod to The Matrix, "someone who has just recently opened up his eyes to a new reality" (i.e. taken a red pill).

Apparently it is, but it was being used in context to describe something far different than just "a matrix movie reference". My question was what the other baggage that had been attached to the phrase was, since I wasn't aware of it.

Apparently this is because I've never bothered to visit 4chan, so I guess I'm doing ok, all things considered.

Genocidicles:
What these people are thinking of are omega males.

And from their number will be born the OMEGA SUPREME!

[transforming noises]

OT: Adequately described already in the thread. If someone is calling you a Red-Piller, they are most likely referring to the kind of individual MarsAtlas outlines in his post.

Huh. I didn't know about that.

Well I guess there's a class of people I'm going to have to be wary about now, since they sound quite unpleasant.

From my experience it's mainly used in a rather comical way on 4chan's "Pol" board.

Essentially, in a round-about way, in this context, it means "Somebody who doesn't believe everything the mass media presents".

So, stuff like Ferguson, female privilege, gun advocacy. You know, the kinda thing the media tends to paint as "Evil".

It has a few meanings.

Anyone calling you it, is likely just trying to insult you with it. Some people simply believe that having a differing view makes others inferior.

Happyninja42:

Johnny Novgorod:

Apparently it is, but it was being used in context to describe something far different than just "a matrix movie reference". My question was what the other baggage that had been attached to the phrase was, since I wasn't aware of it.

Apparently this is because I've never bothered to visit 4chan, so I guess I'm doing ok, all things considered.

Well, they believe they've 'opened their eyes' and 'seen the truth of this world', hence they've taken 'the red pill'. Its another way of dismissing their opponents as well, portraying us as sheeple who gladly swalow the blue pill to keep living the lie.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Walk away OP....burn the thread! Salt the earth!!!!

*sigh*

[sub/]oh how I weep for the day it has bled over here from reddit[\sub]

Ok aside from what others have said...anyone seen the Disney version of hunchback if notre dame?

They think they're pheobus

They think everyone else are quasi modo

They're actually Frollo

Vault101:

*sigh*

Ok aside from what others have said...anyone seen the Disney version of hunchback if notre dame?

They're actually Frollo

HELLFIRE! DARK FIRE!
-cough!

I don't think that someone who claims to "know the real truth" is worth paying much attention to, to be honest, especially when it's about something as varied and complicated as human personalities. <.<

I thought it was Matrix related but just the regular douchbags.

In my opinion, blue piller is a great nickname for western hikikomoris.

Vault101:

*sigh*

They're actually Frollo

That's the most evocative analogy for the topic I could imagine. Here: you've earned it.

BloatedGuppy:

Genocidicles:

[transforming noises]

OT: Adequately described already in the thread. If someone is calling you a Red-Piller, they are most likely referring to the kind of individual MarsAtlas outlines in his post.

I have this beautiful monstrosity with its original box and pamphlets. It is one of the grandest Transformers I own. I'm very proud.

OT: Since they've been pretty well defined by others by now, I guess I'll just stick to stating my opinion. They seem to vary between misguided fools with a gender-based axe to grind to actual women-haters. While there is some discussion that goes on there that does highlight real problems for men in modern society, I'd say the bulk of what gets talked about there tends to be whiny, angst-ridden nonsense. It is not much different from some radical feminist forums that do nothing but demean men because "Men are all evil pigs!" I think the whole idea of "taking the red pill" to be rather stupid and extremely arrogant. Like any group that thinks it has a monopoly on truth, they tend to be highly resistant to logic and reason.

BloatedGuppy:

Genocidicles:

[transforming noises]

Haha! Always loved that name in all its testosterone induced ridiculousness :)

OT. That does sound quite an unpleasant group of elitist types. Glad i never meandered into their damp corner by mistake.
Please dont laugh, but what even is 4chan? What is the site about? Its purpose? Id rather ask instead of see things that will just warp my tiny brain soup.

Only just saw this double post. Sorry!

Xsjadoblayde:
OT. That does sound quite an unpleasant group of elitist types. Glad i never meandered into their damp corner by mistake.
Please dont laugh, but what even is 4chan? What is the site about? Its purpose? Id rather ask instead of see things that will just warp my tiny brain soup.

Anonymous image board.

Basically, anyone can post anything, and there's some rules.

You have no identity or usename or anything like that.

Pretty popular, has a variety of boards catering to interests from LGBT, Video games, Ponies and "Political incorrectness".

Also, "B" a completely random board.

Well, most of RedPilelrs were burned by some woman one way or another. Also, those who just gave up on marriage and long term relationships want to push Pick Up Artists from "the club".

Just like any other group, they wary from reasonable to never-never land. In their defense, they have no power what so ever so you can just ignore them if it pleases you.

You know, it occurs to me that the term 'Red Piller' is a lot like 'Social Justice Warrior'.

I'm not talking about people here, just definitions. I can see the use in a slang term for having your eyes opened to things mainstream media doesn't like to talk about, just like I can see the use for a term for extremists who give real activists a bad name.

The problem of course is that both terms are so easy to distort. "People who are assholes about social justice!" is INCREDIBLY subjective, and "I see the world how it really is!" has been a common cry that patronising assholes use to try and dismiss opinions as coming from 'sheeple' or whatever.

The "RedPill" community are a bunch of people that make an incredible effort to combat what they see as extreme feminism by being as unreasonable and paranoid themselves.

They think the way to fight fire (a fire that is mostly imaginary) is by blanketing it with napalm.

Imrix:
You know, it occurs to me that the term 'Red Piller' is a lot like 'Social Justice Warrior'.

Two sides of the same coin really. They both do as much to combat sexism (nothing).

The Lunatic:

Xsjadoblayde:

Anonymous image board.

Basically, anyone can post anything, and there's some rules.

You have no identity or usename or anything like that.

Pretty popular, has a variety of boards catering to interests from LGBT, Video games, Ponies and "Political incorrectness".

Also, "B" a completely random board.

Ahh okies. Thanks for that. It doesn't sound as bad as my imagination made it out to be. Though i'm sure any site with anonymous posting can attract specially dubious intent :)

...Ponies...?

Seems to be 2 different types of "red pilling" at this point.

You have the Reddit brand extreme MRA woman hating brand which seems to be taken at face value by most people you subscribe to such a view with very little sense of irony.

Then you have the /pol/ brand of red pilling that like most things from /pol/ has gone on for so long it's hard to tell whose taking the piss and whose being serious. There's definitely an element of anti-feminism to it, but it's generally more akin to your average tinfoil hat conspiracy theories than anything about women in particular. It's kind of like the state of Neo-Nazis there: there's definitely a few that fall into the stereotype but it's more likely to be a mix of self-deprecation, irony, and good old fashioned shitposting than anything completely straight-faced.

The little interaction I have had with that subreddit gave me the image of two kinds of people who frequent it.

1) A dudebro who is successful in getting laid with very shallow women

2) People who can't get laid fantasizing not merely about attracting women, but dominating them in some form of revenge.

The whole front page came across as profoundly cynical. An article I read referenced the opinion of a much tamer frequenter of the Red Piller. His opinion was that gender politics are so messed up as to be beyond any form of reparation, so they just make do with the system they are presented with.

EDIT:
A few times I get the sense that The Red Pill isn't some form of rejoicing, but forms from a resentment of society at large and everyone in them. To wit, a common term is "Beta," meaning an unworthy individual who will always be submissive to an alpha. Many on the subreddit self-identify as such in a derogatory fashion.

Xsjadoblayde:
Ahh okies. Thanks for that. It doesn't sound as bad as my imagination made it out to be. Though i'm sure any site with anonymous posting can attract specially dubious intent :)

...Ponies...?

Well, it's often accused of being up to no good.

Honestly, the more extreme boards will offend most people.

In reality though, it doesn't seem any more malicious to the internet than Reddit is.

I suppose in days gone by, it committed raids and other nefarious acts, but, these days, the internet is just too big to do that kind of thing.

And yeah, Ponies.

It's more of a "Containment" board than anything else.

Captcha: Hard Captcha is Hard.

Oh dear, they're becoming self-aware.

The phrase "A more wretched hive of scum and villainy" could be said to have been coined in expectation of the creation of www dot 4chan dot org/b. It's full of very young and some much older "beta males", to use their own terminology, who essentially do their best to cross every red line in acceptable society by posting pics of people involved in hideous accidents or terrorism incidents, child porn or what comes very very close to it, misogynistic/racist/every other offensive thought under the sun comments which make them come across as a being borderline crazy at best or sadly in need of a slap across the head by a sensible older person. Of course pseudoscience and fallacial arguments to support their prejudices abounds.

Also a lot of trap/trans pics if that's your thing. As well as regular uses of the word fag.. Plus a lot of crap about whether someone knows how to use programming tags to display the triforce symbols properly. And other cliquey things that show whether you're a noob or not..

It's probably not been shut down, because otherwise it'd be a lot harder to keep track of human waste like most them seem to be. Not everyone there's an asshat, but it can be hard to discern it.

Oh, and a lot of them bitch about reddit.

Anti-Feminist? MRA? Rape culture? What is all this?! All these anit-SJW elements must be a recently new connotation, either that or i really am out of touch. Although I've never been big on reddit.

Johnny Novgorod:

This is what I've always known it as, to be "red-pilled" is to be made aware of some hidden truth. I've heard it mostly to be a generic term used with conspiracy theories and that sort of thing, generally some kind of alternative idea that runs against mainstream beliefs.
All these other aspects just seem like a specific sub-set of the term, (although from a simple google search it seems to be the only thing that comes up).

The Lunatic:

Xsjadoblayde:

...Ponies...?

Well, it's often accused of being up to no good.

Honestly, the more extreme boards will offend most people.

In reality though, it doesn't seem any more malicious to the internet than Reddit is.

I suppose in days gone by, it committed raids and other nefarious acts, but, these days, the internet is just too big to do that kind of thing.

And yeah, Ponies.

It's more of a "Containment" board than anything else.

Captcha: Hard Captcha is Hard.

Oh dear, they're becoming self-aware.

Honestly, I can't help but have some respect for 4chan in the sense they can at least be fairly self aware to the point they almost revel in their reputation as the cesspool of the internet in order to create something unique. 4chan is basically both the dick and the asshole in the Team America speech. They're basically counterculture personified.

Men's Rights Activists.

It's like white pride advocates, in theory one of them somewhere might not be a complete wanker, but no-one's ever found one who isn't.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked