Sense8 is kinda crummy.

] think Sense8, so far, is overall a bad soap opera with fan-fiction-esque social commentary jammed into every possible moment of screentime. I'm a few episodes in, and the characters are extremely shallow, mostly defined by simplistic, stereotypical traits.

It does have some stylistic redemption. And not every line of dialogue reads like a Matrix vs Shadow the Hedgehog crossover fan fiction. But I can't help feeling the Wachowskis need to stop trying to tackle drama, because they kinda suck at it. The actors act well -- I have no issues there. It's primarily the writing that sends the show flailing into a brick wall.

The last show I watched with writing this bad was True Blood.

edit:
Sense8 reminds me of a bad Kirk Cameron production.

You know, I feel the Wachowskis are at their best when they are deliberately avoiding serious topics and drama. I know some people may find this odd, but I feel as though Speed Racer was the best thing they've ever made.

Zontar:
You know, I feel the Wachowskis are at their best when they are deliberately avoiding serious topics and drama. I know some people may find this odd, but I feel as though Speed Racer was the best thing they've ever made.

Speed Racer is probably their best film, awful monkey scenes aside.

I am almost done with the first season and it's honestly not that bad. There are a few silly things here and there that make me roll my eyes, but the concept is intriguing and some of the characters are well done. It suffers a pretty slow start for sure, but picks up a bit later.

One thing that's sort of annoying me is that every romantic relationship is waaaay over-the-top lovey-dovey. Like, people who've been together as long as many of these characters have don't act like that every time they see their lover. It kinda takes me out of it, honestly.

EDIT: I should also mention that the cinematography is excellent and the abundant use of music does a good job tying characters together across multiple scenes. Also, later on there are some Conan the Barbarian refs that I appreciated, lol.

It's sort of like 'Marco Polo'.
Not bad, not good...just kind of, eh.

Stopped watching after the 2nd sex scene. Or was it the 3rd? The fourth? Whatever.

I'm not overly prudish when it comes to graphic depictions of sex in media. I'll even look over homosexuality in media, even if I do strongly disagree with the lifestyle choice. (That's another topic for discussion)

But wow, this is on TV? Like. Every. Dang. Episode.

It's not only graphic, but REALLY graphic. Someone said there was an orgy scene. Glad I called it quits after the first few scenes.

Story was intriguing.

andrewfox:

But wow, this is on TV?

Nope, it's a Netflix Original Series, so it's not really Television since it has a lot more leeway in what it can produce.

Tanis:
It's sort of like 'Marco Polo'.
Not bad, not good...just kind of, eh.

I think Marco Polo has it worst when you remember it's the most expensive series of all time.

andrewfox:
Stopped watching after the 2nd sex scene. Or was it the 3rd? The fourth? Whatever.

I'm not overly prudish when it comes to graphic depictions of sex in media. I'll even look over homosexuality in media, even if I do strongly disagree with the lifestyle choice. (That's another topic for discussion)

But wow, this is on TV? Like. Every. Dang. Episode.

It's not only graphic, but REALLY graphic. Someone said there was an orgy scene. Glad I called it quits after the first few scenes.

Story was intriguing.

I recall when Billy Crystal remarked that he didn't like seeing graphic sex scenes on TV, and he also felt some shows were "pushing it" with their depictions of gay sex. Naturally, instead of going, "Oh, look, Crystal thinks there's too much sex on TV," activists latched onto the fact he'd mentioned gay sex.

I think there's a huge fallacy that people who complain about gay sex scenes are "fine" with non-gay sex scenes. Seems to me millions/billions of people don't like explicit sex scenes in their entertainment, but they tolerate the latter more. Same as how devout Christians find "JESUS FUCKING CHRIST!" to be staggeringly offensive, but they don't run around protesting the issue. Wheras "Jesus was a gay man" might raise hackles more.

Ambient_Malice:

Zontar:

Speed Racer is probably their best film, awful monkey scenes aside.

I came into this thread to find out what Sense8 is (looks a lot like what the original trailers for orphan black pretended to be, still not interested), but I commented just to say that I love the Speed Racer movie.

Although the monkey parts are pretty bad.

The only problem with it is that Lana Wachowski (one half of the directing team) is a racist, aside from that I can't watch it around children because of all the sex scenes. What I really like, is the LGTBQ+ themes, and the ire it draws from bigots.

andrewfox:
I'll even look over homosexuality in media, even if I do strongly disagree with the lifestyle choice.

Do you think anyone would choose to be gay? They get oppressed, abused, and misunderstood daily. It's not a choice, it's who they are. Even if sexuality and gender was a choice, your say has nothing to do with an individual's decisions. Drop the conservative rhetoric, and grow up, you'll be much happer. I know because I've been there.

Evil Smurf:
Do you think anyone would choose to be gay? They get oppressed, abused, and misunderstood daily. It's not a choice, it's who are.

It's a can of worms, but you could make the same argument of any oppressed group -- Christians are far more persecuted from a sheer numbers perspective than gay people. Why would people choose to hold beliefs that are gonna get them mocked and ridiculed, raped, their throats slit, their houses burnt and their families thrown into labour camps and so on and so forth? Surely they must be born with an irresistable inclination to hold such beliefs and act in such a way. (Heck, some people argue that human beings are born inclined to religion, while others argue people choose to follow a religion. Choice vs inclination is an argument that goes on forever.)

I do think Sense8 is self-indulgently preachy on specific topics, and Nomi is very blatantly a creator mouthpiece. Orson Scott Card said last year "The moment you find yourself preaching, break the pen." Sense8 would have benefited greatly from that advice. Nomi's "inspirational" speech in Episode 2 is a hideous piece of writing. Unless the intent is to drive home that Nomi is prideful and insecure, two qualities which are traditionally associated with... you know, SATAN HIMSELF. (Pride before destruction, and high-mindedness before the fall.) I suppose it's the logical outcome of the somewhat kooky "Pride" movements, but the way Sense8 presents it makes Chick Tracts look subtle. I can imagine Catholics being deeply offended (even 'triggered') at the literal "fuck you".

I was watching Mr. Robot yesterday. Tbat show has GREAT writing. It's the "mind expanding" show Sense8 wishes it was, I think.

edit:
For example, medical procedures against people's will? That's something I am passionately opposed to. Sense8 handles the topic with zero tact or intelligence. It's like watching a Tumblr blog post translated into film, with obligatory YOU MUST LEAVE NOW. That trope is so done.

Ambient_Malice:

Evil Smurf:
Do you think anyone would choose to be gay? They get oppressed, abused, and misunderstood daily. It's not a choice, it's who are.

It's a can of worms, but you could make the same argument of any oppressed group -- Christians are far more persecuted from a sheer numbers perspective than gay people. Why would people choose to hold beliefs that are gonna get them mocked and ridiculed, raped, their throats slit, their houses burnt and their families thrown into labour camps and so on and so forth? Surely they must be born with an irresistable inclination to hold such beliefs and act in such a way. (Heck, some people argue that human beings are born inclined to religion, while others argue people choose to follow a religion. Choice vs inclination is an argument that goes on forever.)

I do think Sense8 is self-indulgently preachy on specific topics, and Nomi is very blatantly a creator mouthpiece. Orson Scott Card said last year "The moment you find yourself preaching, break the pen." Sense8 would have benefited greatly from that advice. Nomi's "inspirational" speech in Episode 2 is a hideous piece of writing. Unless the intent is to drive home that Nomi is prideful and insecure, two qualities which are traditionally associated with... you know, SATAN HIMSELF. (Pride before destruction, and high-mindedness before the fall.) I suppose it's the logical outcome of the somewhat kooky "Pride" movements, but the way Sense8 presents it makes Chick Tracts look subtle. I can imagine Catholics being deeply offended (even 'triggered') at the literal "fuck you".

I was watching Mr. Robot yesterday. Tbat show has GREAT writing. It's the "mind expanding" show Sense8 wishes it was, I think.

edit:
For example, medical procedures against people's will? That's something I am passionately opposed to. Sense8 handles the topic with zero tact or intelligence. It's like watching a Tumblr blog post translated into film, with obligatory YOU MUST LEAVE NOW. That trope is so done.

I agree with Smurf because I too was turned off by the gay sex. I think every show now has to show a token gay to align with the gay liberal agenda.

And to you to tell someone to grow up because they should fall in line with something that you do not believe in; is the liberal intolerance side of the fence.

Maybe one day, there will be an action conservative channel, that will keep our "backward-minded" people entertained.

In my opinion, the show sucks. Just a freakier version of Cloud Atlas. They should keep the story more focused and it will be better to follow.

Good day.

wtfpeople:
I agree with Smurf because I too was turned off by the gay sex. I think every show now has to show a token gay to align with the gay liberal agenda.

Yes and no. There is arguably a bit of pressure to add gay themes to be "relevant", but in Sense8's case, it's very much reflective of the creators who clearly hold these views about human sexuality.

But Look at Osamu Tezuka's works. Those featured gay people, black people, Christians, atheists, people who were pro-euthanasia, people who were opposed, and so on. His works, however, had a sort of ambiguity to them. It was difficult to tell whether Tezuka was really promoting gay relationships or praising black people as heroic or promoting a belief in the divinity of Jesus. (Honestly, I think the language and culture barrier helps a fair bit. How often do you see people boycotting Japanese art over the opinions of a creator?)

And to you to tell someone to grow up because they should fall in line with something that you do not believe in; is the liberal intolerance side of the fence.

The idea that people who disagree with you are backwards or mentally inferior in some way is indeed associated with so-called liberal intolerance.

They should keep the story more focused and it will be better to follow.

Sloppy plotting is basically a wachowski trademark. Excuse me why I go and fight hundreds of Agent Smith clones BECAUSE I CHOOSE TO despite the fact I can fly.

I had my fill after the trailer.
I'm not sure who found "8 ordinary people on wifi" a bedazzling premise but that shit sounds dull as balls to me, and where the fuck is room for improvement... that shit will never go anywhere.

I was turned off by the "Your mind is expanding" in the trailer.

Nothing annoys me more than the "Unlocked Human Brain Potential" trope. Anyone remember "Lucy"?

lacktheknack:

Nothing annoys me more than the "Unlocked Human Brain Potential" trope.

Nothing at all? Not even people who take every statement completely literally?

I was gonna watch it but then i read that it's basically iZombie with gay propaganda thrown in to add enough shock value to generate buzz so i didn't bother.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked