Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider Trailer Reveals 16-Bit Action from Blazing Chrome Dev

Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider announcement trailer JoyMasher The Arcade Crew action 16-bit platformer sidescroller Mega Man X

Publisher The Arcade Crew and developer JoyMasher have finally unveiled the official announcement trailer for Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider, a 16-bit action platformer with some great Mega Man XNinja Gaiden, and Shinobi vibes. The game is coming to Nintendo Switch, PlayStation, PC via Steam, and Amazon Luna in fall 2022. The game has been in development a few years already, originally just called Moonrider, with plenty of little updates coming through social media, but today the game is ready to make its big splash.

Recommended Videos

You play as a cybernetic ninja, putting it in line with recent indie hits like The Messenger and Cyber Shadow. The premise is that the titular Moonrider has rejected its role as a soldier of a totalitarian regime and instead is seeking vengeance (for something) on its creators and other “super soldiers.” As for the actual gameplay, “Powerful modifier chips are guarded and hidden throughout the adventure, allowing the cyborg super soldier to customize its fighting style while gaining killer advantages and abilities” across eight levels.

Rooted in Brazil, JoyMasher has made a name for itself in high-quality pixel art action games with retro flair, including Odallus, Oniken, and most recently Blazing Chrome. If the announcement trailer is any indication, Vengeful Guardian: Moonrider will be an excellent addition to the JoyMasher library.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Monopoly GO Players Are Fed Up With Golden Stickers
Monopoly GO Missing Golden Stickers
Read Article MLB The Show 24 Update Makes Players Look Downright Terrifying
A player with a messed up face in MLB The Show 24.
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Related Content
Read Article Monopoly GO Players Are Fed Up With Golden Stickers
Monopoly GO Missing Golden Stickers
Read Article MLB The Show 24 Update Makes Players Look Downright Terrifying
A player with a messed up face in MLB The Show 24.
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.