Internet cuts out for split second, interupts gaming, need help.

Alright, so I enjoy my online games. MMOs and the sort... problem is lately that for the past 2-3 weeks, my computer has a habbit of cutting out for a few seconds then turning back on once more. To anyone browsing the internet, its a mild annoyance, to someone who plays games online its rather agrivating. It becomes a hassle if I'm in the middle of a match in TF2, or if I'm raiding in World of Warcraft. I've already tried to contact my ISP and they claim nothing is wrong on their end.

I've also tried what I can, short of replacing the router itself. I live with my family still, and times are harder, its hard to justify spending 40-100 dollars on a new router, when everyone else doesn't have the same amount of trouble as I recieve since none of them play games. Is that what I should be trying next, or is there perhaps something overlooked? Has anyone delt with this problem, and found a solution? I'd be greatful for any help.

dragongit:
Alright, so I enjoy my online games. MMOs and the sort... problem is lately that for the past 2-3 weeks, my computer has a habbit of cutting out for a few seconds then turning back on once more. To anyone browsing the internet, its a mild annoyance, to someone who plays games online its rather agrivating. It becomes a hassle if I'm in the middle of a match in TF2, or if I'm raiding in World of Warcraft. I've already tried to contact my ISP and they claim nothing is wrong on their end.

I've also tried what I can, short of replacing the router itself. I live with my family still, and times are harder, its hard to justify spending 40-100 dollars on a new router, when everyone else doesn't have the same amount of trouble as I recieve since none of them play games. Is that what I should be trying next, or is there perhaps something overlooked? Has anyone delt with this problem, and found a solution? I'd be greatful for any help.

You might wanna try to put your computer on QOS (quality of service) in your router, if your router can do it.Short of that if it never did this before, and if you're absolutely convinced it's not the mainline that cuts, there's nothing else to do except replace the router.

You have a friend or something you could maybe exchange routers with for a week or two for testing purposes ? it might tell you if it'll be a surefire fix.

I don't think there is anything you can do really. I play Black ops and some nights it will chug constantly, but night is the key word. Try it at different times of the day. Its usually easier to play with people in a similar geographic area with a similar carrier, less blips, especially if you aren't hosting. Or maybe the time of day you play is high traffic time for your carrier. At my new apartment between 11 and 2 there are constant internet interruptions.

Just to check and see I'd suggest plugging your computer directly to the internet and forgetting about the router, you should have less service blips like this.

Also I do have a 100 dollar router and it works well but its not perfect. And have half a second to a second of internet interruption happens all the time. When you have excessive load times on opening a webpage(that shouldn't) that means your service slipped a little bit but it never really show up not even in the globe in the corner. That seems to be enough to at least fuck up your game for a couple seconds.

Does the connection drop like that on all computers in the house or just yours?

Try doing a hard factory reset on the router and making sure it is upgraded to the latest firmware if you haven't done so already. You'll have to re-configure any wireless settings, passwords, etc... you may have set up so remember what you had so you can set it back up again.

Depending on how you have the house networked, or if there are times where nobody else is online and you can schedule it with your folks, I'd try hooking your machine directly to the modem for a few hours up to an evening to test it out.

If it cuts out frequently you can see if it does the same directly through the modem. If it plays clean, your know the problem is your router. If the factory reset didn't fix this, it could just be dying. (I've had to replace 4 in the last 5 years. And not all of them were cheap, I tell ya. Real piss.)

If it still cuts out directly through the modem I'd march it right back to your ISP and demand a new box. They also can flake out on you, and little breaks in connection often don't show up on their end. They shouldn't give you any crap, and if you've had your service for a while they may even have a newer modem available. I've had to do this once.

It's also possible your ethernet cable is damaged. A couple of kinks or tight bends in the cable can cause a dramatic loss in signal strength as it untwists the pairs inside the casing. If it is something you can replace, even temporarily (like swapping with someone else's line), it would take that out of the equation, but this is admittedly pretty unlikely, unless the problem is just effecting you.

Swapping ports in the router with another is another of those unlikely-but-possible-so-go-for-it-just-so-it-isn't-a-variable things you can try during troubleshooting.

Depending on what brand modem you have, you may also be able to get into its webconfig and see some basic diagnostic info. Line noise, signal strength, etc. If the numbers are completely out of whack it'd give you an idea if the coax itself is fuxxd and you may need to press the issue with the cable company to get their line checked. The drop from the box to the house will often get screwed up (a bit of water gets in to a connector, etc.). This won't always screw up your cable... but it can wreck your internet connection.

If it become terribly problematic, if you keep complaining you can get them to come out and check their line from the box to your house for signal issues just to be absolutely sure it isn't them. There shouldn't be a charge for it. It'll confirm that there isn't any issues to the house. Poor signal strength or a weather-damaged line is something they just can't tell from a ping at the home office.

Ah... networking. That'll be $90. An hour. Thank you have a nice day. ;)

Larva:
Does the connection drop like that on all computers in the house or just yours?

Try doing a hard factory reset on the router and making sure it is upgraded to the latest firmware if you haven't done so already. You'll have to re-configure any wireless settings, passwords, etc... you may have set up so remember what you had so you can set it back up again.

Depending on how you have the house networked, or if there are times where nobody else is online and you can schedule it with your folks, I'd try hooking your machine directly to the modem for a few hours up to an evening to test it out.

If it cuts out frequently you can see if it does the same directly through the modem. If it plays clean, your know the problem is your router. If the factory reset didn't fix this, it could just be dying. (I've had to replace 4 in the last 5 years. And not all of them were cheap, I tell ya. Real piss.)

If it still cuts out directly through the modem I'd march it right back to your ISP and demand a new box. They also can flake out on you, and little breaks in connection often don't show up on their end. They shouldn't give you any crap, and if you've had your service for a while they may even have a newer modem available. I've had to do this once.

It's also possible your ethernet cable is damaged. A couple of kinks or tight bends in the cable can cause a dramatic loss in signal strength as it untwists the pairs inside the casing. If it is something you can replace, even temporarily (like swapping with someone else's line), it would take that out of the equation, but this is admittedly pretty unlikely, unless the problem is just effecting you.

Swapping ports in the router with another is another of those unlikely-but-possible-so-go-for-it-just-so-it-isn't-a-variable things you can try during troubleshooting.

Depending on what brand modem you have, you may also be able to get into its webconfig and see some basic diagnostic info. Line noise, signal strength, etc. If the numbers are completely out of whack it'd give you an idea if the coax itself is fuxxd and you may need to press the issue with the cable company to get their line checked. The drop from the box to the house will often get screwed up (a bit of water gets in to a connector, etc.). This won't always screw up your cable... but it can wreck your internet connection.

If it become terribly problematic, if you keep complaining you can get them to come out and check their line from the box to your house for signal issues just to be absolutely sure it isn't them. There shouldn't be a charge for it. It'll confirm that there isn't any issues to the house. Poor signal strength or a weather-damaged line is something they just can't tell from a ping at the home office.

Ah... networking. That'll be $90. An hour. Thank you have a nice day. ;)

To answer your questions. From what I've seen, at least with portable devices, since thats what everyone else is using, they seem to cut out as well roughly the same time, so it isn't isolated to me.

Honestly I'm not sure how the damn house is hooked up. My father took care of that and over the years we have more cords then threads in a spider's web, and I couldn't tell you where half of the cables went. He's a tech nut, and yet he can't seem to solve this problem without messing it up more.

How the house is set up currently, however, due to my room being far apart from where the internet comes in, they see fit to tap it through a wireless router on the way to my room. I'm still hooked up, but if the problem lies within the connection between the wireing, or even the router itself... we'll see.

I will try some of these suggestions. Seeing if I can't switch out the router. Thank you for the effort all the same. I enjoy my time online, and this issue really is a bother... maybe its a suggestion I should get a life.. but real life sucks compared to my digital life. So I'm happy where I am.

dragongit:
To answer your questions. From what I've seen, at least with portable devices, since thats what everyone else is using, they seem to cut out as well roughly the same time, so it isn't isolated to me.

Ok, that's a start... it eliminates a lot of little possibilities with your connection and your system specifically, at least pretty much ruling out the wiring mess. It narrows it down to "the router, or the modem." <.<

(The only cable that still matters is the line going from the cable modem to the router. If that's going through a wall and getting run to the other side of the house or something it could still be involved, but really unlikely. If a crimped end or a punch-down jack works lose things typically just die, not get flaky all of the sudden.)

How the house is set up currently, however, due to my room being far apart from where the internet comes in, they see fit to tap it through a wireless router on the way to my room. ...

I'm not sure if I follow but it's mostly irreverent since the problem appears to effect everyone. Cable in to modem, modem to router, then attaching devices to the router is typical.

I take it you're using a wired connection to the router, then? That's good...

I will try some of these suggestions. Seeing if I can't switch out the router.

I'd try the firmware update and factory reset on the router first, since that's usually easier than pulling it completely and losing internet for the house. Even settings that look correct in the webconfig can occasionally get borked up or corrupted. Just make sure you or your Dad know how to set the wireless back up the way it was, and reset all your passwords, etc.

I could offer more specific troubleshooting knowing the make/model of the router, and who your cable provider is. PM me if you'd like additional help with this.

Unfortunately, the only way to rule out (or confirm) the router entirely is to pull it out of the equation and wait to see if the modem alone still drops out. If it still drops without the router in line you know for sure the problem is either your modem (which you then get replaced) or the line coming into the house (which you get them to test or re-run.) In the cable company's favor... the routers go bad a hell of a lot more frequently than the run to the house. =/

I enjoy my time online, and this issue really is a bother... maybe its a suggestion I should get a life.. but real life sucks compared to my digital life. So I'm happy where I am.

Pfft. I consider the internets as important to a modern civilization as electricity. I'd be pissed if the lights went off 2-3 times a day, too. And the clock on the microwave would never be set!

Larva:

dragongit:

Ok, that's a start... it eliminates a lot of little possibilities with your connection and your system specifically, at least pretty much ruling out the wiring mess. It narrows it down to "the router, or the modem." <.<

(The only cable that still matters is the line going from the cable modem to the router. If that's going through a wall and getting run to the other side of the house or something it could still be involved, but really unlikely. If a crimped end or a punch-down jack works lose things typically just die, not get flaky all of the sudden.)

How the house is set up currently, however, due to my room being far apart from where the internet comes in, they see fit to tap it through a wireless router on the way to my room. ...

I'm not sure if I follow but it's mostly irreverent since the problem appears to effect everyone. Cable in to modem, modem to router, then attaching devices to the router is typical.

I take it you're using a wired connection to the router, then? That's good...

I will try some of these suggestions. Seeing if I can't switch out the router.

I'd try the firmware update and factory reset on the router first, since that's usually easier than pulling it completely and losing internet for the house. Even settings that look correct in the webconfig can occasionally get borked up or corrupted. Just make sure you or your Dad know how to set the wireless back up the way it was, and reset all your passwords, etc.

I could offer more specific troubleshooting knowing the make/model of the router, and who your cable provider is. PM me if you'd like additional help with this.

Unfortunately, the only way to rule out (or confirm) the router entirely is to pull it out of the equation and wait to see if the modem alone still drops out.

I enjoy my time online, and this issue really is a bother... maybe its a suggestion I should get a life.. but real life sucks compared to my digital life. So I'm happy where I am.

Pfft. I consider the internets as important to a modern civilization as electricity. I'd be pissed if the lights went off 2-3 times a day, too. And the clock on the microwave would never be set!

Thank you for your efforts thus far. Today while trying to check some connections, I had actually found that the main modem in which the internet comes into the house through, had reset itself while I was there. I hadn't noticed before because when the incident happened on my machine, I was too far away to check the modem myself. But I had today. The model is an old DCM 202, and a few of its lights went out, flashed orange, then truend green again. I belive we have narrowed it down to the modem. Now then... Despite myself I will venture out and invest in a new modem tomorrow, the local computer store is sadly closed on Sunday, privatly owned and all that.

If it has anything to do with the wireing outside... that would require Comcast coming in the check thsmselves... but I have now narrowed it down to the Modem or the cableing.None of the routers are at fault this time. Thank you for helping me to narrow things down, I will of course try to firmware update or factory reset.

dragongit:
But I had today. The model is an old DCM 202, and a few of its lights went out, flashed orange, then truend green again. I belive we have narrowed it down to the modem.

I love it when a plan comes together! ;)

Now then... Despite myself I will venture out and invest in a new modem tomorrow, the local computer store is sadly closed on Sunday, privatly owned and all that.

So you own your modem then, instead of using their rental? (I wish my ISP allowed that. =/ )

I have no idea how close you are to an office or how they handle their equipment rentals (if it's easy to just go get one, if it doesn't require a year's agreement, deposits, etc...) but if money is tight you may be able to rent one from them for just a single month for $3-5 or so to test and give it a try before coughing up the $50+ for a new one on the chance it doesn't fix the issue.

Thank you for helping me to narrow things down, I will of course try to firmware update or factory reset.

Since you suspect the modem now I'd not screw around with it just yet. No need to fix what isn't broken. ;)

Larva:

dragongit:
But I had today. The model is an old DCM 202, and a few of its lights went out, flashed orange, then truend green again. I belive we have narrowed it down to the modem.

I love it when a plan comes together! ;)

Now then... Despite myself I will venture out and invest in a new modem tomorrow, the local computer store is sadly closed on Sunday, privatly owned and all that.

So you own your modem then, instead of using their rental? (I wish my ISP allowed that. =/ )

I have no idea how close you are to an office or how they handle their equipment rentals (if it's easy to just go get one, if it doesn't require a year's agreement, deposits, etc...) but if money is tight you may be able to rent one from them for just a single month for $3-5 or so to test and give it a try before coughing up the $50+ for a new one on the chance it doesn't fix the issue.

Thank you for helping me to narrow things down, I will of course try to firmware update or factory reset.

Since you suspect the modem now I'd not screw around with it just yet. No need to fix what isn't broken. ;)

well... I dont' know if we exactly" Own it" it has been with us for many years, and as I said my father was the one who set everything up... but the fact its acting this way leads me to beleive its old, and ready to kick the bucket. But maybe you are right about renting first. Wouldn't want to waste money needlessly. Still I appreciate the effort you've put in thus far. I'll try to settle some things tomorrow and get back to you.

I know you arn't being paid by me, and by all accounts the information and time you've put in should be, but you have my gratitude for helping out. Maybe if you send me your steam name through a PM, I'll buy you a game off your wishlist for Christmas. Haha! Still, I'll keep you updated, if you wish.

dragongit:
well... I dont' know if we exactly" Own it" it has been with us for many years, and as I said my father was the one who set everything up...

*nod* Definitely check your bill, or just call Comcast tomorrow then and see. You may be owed a replacement for "free" if you're already paying them for it...

I know you arn't being paid by me, and by all accounts the information and time you've put in should be, but you have my gratitude for helping out. Maybe if you send me your steam name through a PM, I'll buy you a game off your wishlist for Christmas. Haha!

Bah... if I cared about getting paid I wouldn't have offered the help. =P
But thank you muchlike for the offer! That is appreciated.

Good luck with it.

(And the offer for that PM is still good if you're still having trouble after you grab the new modem.)

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked