George R.R. Martin Offers Humble Comment on Launch of Elden Ring

mini rooms room abomination WGA Writers Guild of America strike explains story why George RR Martin gives humble comment of thank you appreciation to fans and FromSoftware for Elden Ring

After years of rumors, speculation, and teasers, Elden Ring is here. Not only has it (mostly) lived up to the hype, but there is already discussion about whether it is a generation-defining masterpiece. Developer FromSoftware must be delighted with the response to Elden Ring, but so is A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin, who wrote much of the background lore for the game. On his personal blog, George R.R. Martin celebrated the launch of Elden Ring and offered humble praise to FromSoftware for the game’s success.

Recommended Videos

He began the short blog post by saying the game has “taken the world by storm,” and he shared a few links to rave reviews to illustrate his point. Then Martin offered this comment on the tremendous hard work performed by FromSoftware:

Of course, almost all the credit should go to Hidetaka Miyazaki and his astonishing team of games designers who have been laboring on this game for half a decade or more, determined to create the best videogame ever.   I am honored to have met them and worked with them, and to have have played a part, however small, in creating this fantastic world and making ELDEN RING the landmark megahit that it is.

It’s certainly true that cool lore does not suddenly make a great video game, so George R.R. Martin is completely accurate in his humble assessment of what he contributed to the Elden Ring launch. Nonetheless, his involvement inevitably must have gotten even more eyes on the game, and it seems that attention is fully warranted.

At the least, the collaboration resulted in the image below. That counts for something.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Monopoly GO Players Are Fed Up With Golden Stickers
Monopoly GO Missing Golden Stickers
Read Article MLB The Show 24 Update Makes Players Look Downright Terrifying
A player with a messed up face in MLB The Show 24.
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Related Content
Read Article Monopoly GO Players Are Fed Up With Golden Stickers
Monopoly GO Missing Golden Stickers
Read Article MLB The Show 24 Update Makes Players Look Downright Terrifying
A player with a messed up face in MLB The Show 24.
Read Article Rugby 24 Has Been Delayed for a Bizarre Reason
Two poster-style figures throwing a rugby ball in Rugby 24.
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.