Miguel Sapochnik co-showrunner exit exits leaves stepping down Alan Taylor executive producer director House of the Dragon episode 2 review The Rogue Prince HBO dragons crown kingdom decay succession

House of the Dragon Co-Showrunner Exits the Series

House of the Dragon co-showrunner and director Miguel Sapochnik will exit the series he helped to create at HBO, according to THR. Moving forward, co-creator Ryan Condal will be the exclusive showrunner, working with franchise creator George R.R. Martin. Meanwhile, Alan Taylor, a veteran of Game of Thrones and who won an Emmy working on The Sopranos, will become an executive producer and direct multiple episodes of House of the Dragon season 2.

Recommended Videos

Miguel Sapochnik will remain an executive producer on House of the Dragon as well, in addition to enjoying a first-look deal with HBO for future projects. He provided a statement to THR about his decision to exit as co-showrunner after three years developing House of the Dragon:

Working within the Thrones universe for the past few years has been an honor and a privilege, especially spending the last two with the amazing cast and crew of House of the Dragon. I am so proud of what we accomplished with season 1 and overjoyed by the enthusiastic reaction of our viewers. It was incredibly tough to decide to move on, but I know that it is the right choice for me, personally and professionally. As I do so, though, I am deeply comforted to know that Alan will be joining the series. He’s someone I’ve known and respected for a long time, and I believe this precious series could not be in safer hands. I am so glad to remain a part of the HBO and House of the Dragon family and, of course, I wish Ryan and his team success and all the best with season 2 and beyond.

Ultimately, this all sounds like business as usual, with no cause for concern. A similar thing happened to the Halo series prior to its debut on Paramount+. However, the critical reception to House of the Dragon seems to be quite a bit more positive so far than what Halo received in its first season.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Doctor Who: Why Did Christopher Eccleston Leave the Show?
Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor in key art for Doctor Who Series 1
Read Article Deadpool & Wolverine: What Does LFG Mean?
A close-up of Wolverine's claws in Deadpool & Wolverine
Read Article When Does X-Men ’97 Episode 8 Come Out?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Related Content
Read Article Doctor Who: Why Did Christopher Eccleston Leave the Show?
Christopher Eccleston as the Ninth Doctor in key art for Doctor Who Series 1
Read Article Deadpool & Wolverine: What Does LFG Mean?
A close-up of Wolverine's claws in Deadpool & Wolverine
Read Article When Does X-Men ’97 Episode 8 Come Out?
Morph, Jean Grey, Jubilee, Cyclops, Rogue, Gambit, Beast, Wolverine, Storm, and Bishop in X-Men '97
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.