Alien: Isolation developer Creative Assembly making new sci-fi first-person shooter FPS IP for past 4 years source material

Alien: Isolation Dev Has Been Working on a New Sci-Fi FPS for 4 Years

2014’s Alien: Isolation is probably one of the best licensed video games ever made, perfectly encapsulating the atmosphere of the original Alien movie in video game form. It’s the rare case where a sequel would have been badly welcomed by fans, yet no such title has materialized to date. However, it turns out that Alien: Isolation developer Creative Assembly has spent the past four years developing a new sci-fi first-person shooter (FPS) set in a new world. This information comes from the latest issue of Edge magazine, via GamesRadar.

Recommended Videos

Creative Assembly studio director Gareth Edmondson and creative director Alistair Hope discussed the sci-fi FPS game, with Hope saying they are committed to “understanding the source material,” though he did not elaborate on what that source material is. However, Chief Product Officer Rob Bartholomew described the game as their “new IP,” saying “it’s a world that we’re creating, and of course we’re wringing our hands over it and we really want to get that right.” He went on to say, “We want to understand what authenticity in a blue ocean or an open sky looks like, when you’ve got a blank page in front of you.”

So, the Creative Assembly sci-fi FPS is simultaneously based in “source material” yet is also a brand new IP. At the least, that rules out more Alien, though single-player top-down squad shooter Aliens: Dark Descent is already in development. Hopefully we’ll hear more about this unnamed project soon. Most recently, Creative Assembly released Total War: Warhammer III.

Elsewhere in the world of sci-fi adaptation, an open-world Dune game is in development, and the long-delayed Blade Runner: Enhanced Edition will finally launch on June 23.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Niantic Acknowledges Issues With Pokemon GO Avatar Update: “We’re taking this seriously”
pokemon go avatar update
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Related Content
Read Article Niantic Acknowledges Issues With Pokemon GO Avatar Update: “We’re taking this seriously”
pokemon go avatar update
Read Article Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes’ Game-Breaking Recruitment Bug to Be Fixed in Upcoming Patch
Read Article Pokemon GO’s Wiglett Debut During Rediscover Kanto Event Excites & Confuses Fans
Photo of a beach scene with the Pokemon Wiglett popping out of the sand, with several question marks nearby
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.