#017 Inspiration

Pages 1 2 NEXT

#017 Inspiration

Think of it as tactical property acquisition.

Read Full Article

Fuckin' tactical genius worthy of Creed.

Erin's reaction is pretty much mine every time my friends ask me to play Halo.

It wouldn't be that easy, Erin...
You're not alone yet.

This is the best justification for capture the flag game modes I've ever seen ever.

I like how the comments about the previous strips were spoilers for the last two.

thaluikhain:
I like how the comments about the previous strips were spoilers for the last two.

To be fair, the setup was kinda obvious. :P

RJ 17:

thaluikhain:

To be fair, the setup was kinda obvious. :P

Oh, sure, but it is sorta telling. Hoping it gets better once it really gets going.

That strip was terrific. Everything Gunnery said had me laughing

Loving this story xD
Man, having both Erin Dies alone and GameOn Hardcore going on is so great :D
Keep it up guys!

Anyone else read the "CAPTURE THE FLAG!" in the Halo announcer voice?

Don't you hate it when your weapon doesn't work? Good thing Erin checked it beforehand otherwise when the capturing of the flag commences, they would be one person short on their team...

Other than that, isn't shooting first the "stand your ground" tactic of the capturing of the flag? *plugs in charger for the flame shield*

DrownedAmmet:
Anyone else read the "CAPTURE THE FLAG!" in the Halo announcer voice?

Not since I realized I could go into the options menu in Unreal Tournament 2004 and change the announcer's default voice to this:

+ * "HmnnnggGODLIKE!" * +

image image

Suicide jokes. And I thought this webcomic couldn't become any more classy.

Alleged_Alec:

Davroth:

Aww, poor little thing. You didn't see them coming? I mean, it's not like the FUCKING GODDAMN TITLE indicates that suicide is going to be a subject. Furthermore, how is this a fucking suicide joke? It's Erin killing her fucking in-game character because she's sick of capture the flag.

Are you one of those people who read the original Rape Wolf comics and thought it was a joke about rape?

Damn, seems like I hit a nerve there. There, there. I'll get you some blankets and some hot cacao. It'll be alright, pumpkin. Everything will be alright.

Davroth:

Alleged_Alec:

Davroth:

Aww, poor little thing. You didn't see them coming? I mean, it's not like the FUCKING GODDAMN TITLE indicates that suicide is going to be a subject. Furthermore, how is this a fucking suicide joke? It's Erin killing her fucking in-game character because she's sick of capture the flag.

Are you one of those people who read the original Rape Wolf comics and thought it was a joke about rape?

Damn, seems like I hit a nerve there. There, there. I'll get you some blankets and some hot cacao. It'll be alright, pumpkin. Everything will be alright.

Man, everyone is just so sassy on these forums.

zombiejoe:

Davroth:

Alleged_Alec:

Man, everyone is just so sassy on these forums.

The hilarious part to me is that I never really commented on the quality of the joke. But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

(The comic isn't all that funny because it makes fun of stuff that has been made fun of for years by now. Talk about beating a dead horse.)

It took us a while to come up to here, but finally we made it!
Let the dancing begin! :)

Combustion Kevin:
It wouldn't be that easy, Erin...
You're not alone yet.

Do hallucinations of video game characters count as "not alone"? I'm not sure.

Alleged_Alec:

Davroth:

I didn't think the joke here was bad.
But what "Rape Wolf" joke are you talking about, and how was it not about rape?

Again, pointing to a trope =/= actual joke.

DrownedAmmet:

Alleged_Alec:

Davroth:

It's more a joke about quest requirements, the dickwolf thing is just for exaggerated comedy. Some people didn't care for the comic.

zombiejoe:

DrownedAmmet:

Alleged_Alec:

It's more a joke about quest requirements, the dickwolf thing is just for exaggerated comedy. Some people didn't care for the comic.

That's what I thought you meant. There really is no comparison here, though, that debacle was a million times worse, the PA guys really could have handled it better.
So yeah, this joke was fine for me here because it's all in her head, whereas I had a problem more with how PA reacted than the actual joke itself

Alleged_Alec:

Davroth:

I concur, lighten the Heck up. Besides, the joke was funny. ...And now for the appropriate quote: "You magnificent bastard, I READ YOUR BOOK!" =D

Guffe:
Loving this story xD
Man, having both Erin Dies alone and GameOn Hardcore going on is so great :D
Keep it up guys!

Indeed, I thought this was really funny.

inu-kun:

Question. What do you think was "the joke" in this strip and the previous one?

zombiejoe:

Oh man... I've never seen that one. That was priceless... maybe I'll start reading PA again. I can't count how many times I've done something along the same vein... "Oh sorry NPC #6 I only needed 5 of you... have fun being tortured or whatever... I'm sure someone will be by eventually!"

Lol, this series is great!!!
I'd be 'checking out' the weapons too, Erin!

inu-kun:

I think the real joke was the silly way in which the characters managed to justify the trope. Who has ever put that much thought into why space soldiers are running back and forth capturing each other's flags?

Create a running gag where Erin repeatedly tries to kill herself all throughout the comic, giving more credence to the name and giving the reader the impression that it could quite possibly end at any given moment.

I said do it!

Davroth:
[quote="zombiejoe" post="6.874694.21980870"]The hilarious part to me is that I never really commented on the quality of the joke. But yeah, rape and suicide jokes are just so damn classy. In fact, they are the pinnacle of comedy. Just ask the aristocrats.

(The comic isn't all that funny because it makes fun of stuff that has been made fun of for years by now. Talk about beating a dead horse.)

Or Hannah & Barbara!

Also, I personally find it kinda offensive that you're trivializing the very real slaughter and abuse of horses with that last bit.

Erin's waifu material is shooting through the roof

Ruisu:
Erin's waifu material is shooting through the roof

Man, I bet hanging out with this version of Erin would be a blast!

I see two things being satirized in today's strip. 1) Why games like these still have a Capture-the-flag mode, and
2) Modern FPS's narratives injecting some forced ethical uncertainty.

I'm just waiting for Erin to begin relentlessly spawn killing Rad until he gets annoyed enough to put in another game.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here