Student Rocks Out for Seven Hours, Breaks Rock Band 2 Record

Student Rocks Out for Seven Hours, Breaks Rock Band 2 Record

University of Texas student, Matt Smith, has achieved a new record playing all 84 original songs in Rock Band 2 on the drums in Expert mode.

According to Guinness World Records, the previous record score was a beefy 10,687,033. Not only did Smith beat that record, but he beat it with flying colors, scoring a whopping 14,727,919 points during his seven hour rock session.

"I had been playing for the past few years, but I bought the Guinness Book of World Records of 2009 around October of last year," explains Smith. "We were looking for records to break, and my friend showed me that one. I thought I could do it, so [October] was when I started working on it."

Since then, Smith has been practicing 45 minutes to an hour each day after classes. When the time came to break the record, Smith opted out of getting a Guinness World Records adjudicator to validate his attempts due to the $5000 price tag. Instead, he followed the alternate rules, collecting relevant media and expert testimony in the form of David Ramazani, Fry's Home Electronics software department manager and resident videogame expert.

The rules specified that at no point during the 84 song setlist could Smith pause the game and take a break, and friends couldn't step in to jam. This didn't stop Smith from making quick dashes to the water fountain between songs. Towards the end of the marathon, Smith claimed that he could no longer feel the foot working the pedal and he was just playing through the pain.

It will take about four to six weeks for the Guinness World Records to inform Smith if his attempt has been officially accepted.

Source: Daily Texan Online, via Fidgit

Well that's certainly... impressive.

If they snub him out of this record I do believe it will be a great tragedy.

Lauren Admire:
It will take about four to six weeks for the Guinness World Records to inform Smith if his attempt has been officially accepted.

Well it would officially suck if he wasn't...

They really have records for anything now don't they? I'm sure I could find some videogame related thing to break if necessary... maybe a group of us can get together and incrementally break some records so that we could repeatedly take advantage of the $5000 prize?

I...I just don't get it. They can't even pause long enough to take a piss???

Aenir:

On PS3, there's a trophy called the "Iron Bladder Trophy" for playing the entire setlist without pausing. I'm sure 360 has an equivalent.

However, there are a few songs where you'd probably have time (The Trees comes to mind, as well as perhaps Pinball Wizard). That probably would have voided his world record though.

IzisviAziria:

Aenir:

On PS3, there's a trophy called the "Iron Bladder Trophy" for playing the entire setlist without pausing. I'm sure 360 has an equivalent.

However, there are a few songs where you'd probably have time (The Trees comes to mind, as well as perhaps Pinball Wizard). That probably would have voided his world record though.

No, it wouldn't. The song is still playing and he didn't pause. I wonder if he just, well, you know.

Thats deciation for you...now, he can go outside and live life!

Well...I know I couldnt do it!

I'm just now stepping from "Hard" into "Expert" on drums. This is a really difficult thing to do.

That's hardcore. My hat goes off to the guy, and I hope he gets the credit where credit is due.

That's my school! Nice to know some of us are spending our time on important things. Hook 'Em Horns! :)

If only this got him as many chicks as a real drummer

aaronmcc:

Don't kid yourself, I've been playing drums for 10 years and it gets me shit-all. I always tell people to be guitarists. They get more chicks. Always.

Blimey:

aaronmcc:

Don't kid yourself, I've been playing drums for 10 years and it gets me shit-all. I always tell people to be guitarists. They get more chicks. Always.

you're shattering my illusions! :'(

Even if they void it for some reason I'd still tell people I broke the record. I mean, he really did.

Wow. That's impressive...in a sense. They better validate his record.

His parents must be real proud to see that his University money isn't going to waste.

Aenir:

7 hours is unhealthy

Good grief... sometimes lame can be so amazing!

That'd take a helluva lot of effort. And people say video-games make you fat.

what I'm interested to hear is if this is gonna help him get laid =X

I can pass the Endless Setlist on Expert without stopping (shiny achievement to prove for it) but 14 million points? That's quite good.

I still think if anyone from the RB/GH fansite ScoreHero got in on any of this they would tear it up in a second. Those nutters played EVERY song in a row! Including DLC....that about a 1000 songs right there.

Does anyone else think it's hilarious that a game has an achievement that makes you break a WORLD RECORD to get it? I'm not sure but on the ps3 I think that trophy isn't even platinum. I think it's gold.

Blimey:

aaronmcc:

No dude, play the banjo. I played Banjo in a Prog-Metal band (don't ask) got way more tail than when I sang and played Bass in a Ska band... though that might have something to do with the genres.

IzisviAziria:

I know with the guitar at least, you can leave for a couple shots down at the bar and maybe a smoke break during Let There Be Rock.

There's a few of the earlier songs in the list that don't sound like they have much of anything going on during long stretches for the drummer (Nine in the Afternoon comes to mind.)

IzisviAziria:

Aenir:

It's "The Bladder of Steel Award" on the 360.

JEBWrench:
There's a few of the earlier songs in the list that don't sound like they have much of anything going on during long stretches for the drummer (Nine in the Afternoon comes to mind.)

Actually, drums it's the instrument with less long pauses as far as I've seen (you always have to do something, even though it may be a hit every few seconds). Vocals OFC may have more, but I doubt that anyone can do 84 songs legit on vocals.
Since I usually start not feeling my foot after 3-4 songs on hard, I find this feat even more impressive. It's definitely harder to do this on drums than on guitar (let alone bass).

Ugh.. I hate stuff like this..

Games are just that.
They're meant to be enjoyed!
If they start causing physical pain on you then something's wrong..
Very wrong..

But kudos to him for getting his name into a book.

Aenir:

it's seven hours, just have a meal a nice rest and youre ready to start.

It's things like this that really make me skeptical of Guinness Records now. I mean i enjoy games but is this really a life changing acheivement?

SavingPrincess:
They really have records for anything now don't they? I'm sure I could find some videogame related thing to break if necessary... maybe a group of us can get together and incrementally break some records so that we could repeatedly take advantage of the $5000 prize?

Cost.
$5000 cost for the adjudicator.

Wow, I can't even do two songs on Expert on Drums.

Seriously, I can only do ONE song on expert drums. :(

Wizzie:
Cost.$5000 cost for the adjudicator.

Ahhh... think I read it as Prize and not Price... silly consonants.

I've actually done this. I don't think I got as many points as that, but I did once sit down and do The Endless Setlist 2 on Expert Drums without pausing or retrying... If only I knew it was a world record :o

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here