Colonel Sanders Adds Finger-Lickin' Good Combat to Sega RPG

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Colonel Sanders Adds Finger-Lickin' Good Combat to Sega RPG

The ultimate in cross promotions features Kentucky Fried Chicken's founder in Phantasy Star as a playable character..

Remember how Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said that in-game advertising shouldn't be used unless it makes sense? Sega isn't exactly on the same page for Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity, but I think I'm glad about that. Sega recently revealed that Kentucky Fried Chicken founder and semi-mascot Colonel Sanders will be a partner character in the game.

He's not just going to be sitting around a town eating gas-inducing chicken: Colonel Sanders will join up with the main character and fight monsters alongside him. Current shots caught by Famitsu of the Colonel in combat don't appear to show what he'll be using in his arsenal aside from his cane, but the previous sentence holds my best guess for other attacks.

Also confirmed in Phantasy Star Portable 2 Infinity are Kentucky Fried Chicken-related items. Sega previously teamed up with Pizza Hut for Phantasy Star Portable 2 (non Infinity version), which saw the inclusion of a Pizza Hut box shield and a pizza pan weapon, while players could also buy Pizza Hut decorations and seafood pizza to restore health.

I haven't seen any mention of what the upcoming KFC items will be, but aside from the obvious food-related ones I can't wait to see what Sega will come up with. A giant drumstick sword perhaps? A biscuit shield? The Escapist's correspondents are currently digging around the Tokyo Game Show, so maybe they'll be able to shed more light on the situation.

Normally a promotion like this should be labeled shameless, but it's too hilarious to criticize. Would Colonel Sanders have ever thought that he'd someday be whacking aliens with his cane in an RPG when he founded KFC in 1930? Absolutely incredible.

Source: Famitsu, via Andriasang

This sums up my feeling perfectly:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FlatWhat

its finger licking financial!!! I personally really dont mind in game advertising, it allows game industry to make more money and keeps game prices from going up to fast.

hahaha yes sir when i think a partner to help me kill monsters in a JRPG i think Colonel Sanders! XD

Alright!

I'm officially declared this the best news room post of all time!

I'm going to go to KFC now, too. Suddenly, I feel the need for greasy chicken.

I need to go shake the hands of every KFC employee right now. Hopefully I don't get sick.

Mass Effect 3 will now have dlc that adds another pointless 1 hour add on quest where you join up with the Burger King and discover his origins, and do battle against Ronald Mcdonald.

Oh wow o.o The colonel himself...its original at least XD

What? Advertising in games?!

*reads news*

interesting. I kind of like this type of advertising in games. Not the gigantic BUY MY PRODUCT type.

to quote the great movie spaceballs: "Whats the matter Colonal Sanders? Chicken?"

Furburt announces that he is totally behind this form of in game advertising.

I hope to see The King in the new Batman game.

This...has got to be....the greatest thing....i have read....ALL DAY.

I love you guys.

Brought do you by KFC, and the lesson that's learned when playing this game. It just isn't good enough without a large 16 pc. chicken set.

This is awesomely hilarious ^_^

There's different verisons?
Ugh!

Jaredin:
Oh wow o.o The colonel himself...its original at least XD

I prefer extra crispy.

Honestly being a good ol' Kentucky boy there's few others I'd take along with me on an adventure. While being a Kentucky Col. has nothing to do with anything martial; who else has killed more people?

Hitler? Laughable.

From the inside out!

This makes me wanna watch Poultrygeist again.

Best. In-game advertising. Ever.

Considering he really served in he military (granted, the 'Colonel' rank is honorary, but still), I'm pretty sure they could give him legitimate attacks beyond KFC things.

Furburt:
Furburt announces that he is totally behind this form of in game advertising.

I hope to see The King in the new Batman game.

Indeed. Like Sneak King, but more badass and even more scary(if thats even possible).

My first thought was "Wwwwwwoooooooww..." Am I allowed to find this awesome?

Steve5513:
Mass Effect 3 will now have dlc that adds another pointless 1 hour add on quest where you join up with the Burger King and discover his origins, and do battle against Ronald Mcdonald.

.....I would so buy and play that.

OT: Well, i would never have seen this coming. And as Space Jawa put it "Best. In-game advertising. Ever!".

That's awesomely hilarious. I'd totally want to play as the Colonel. Or, better yet, a mecha-Colonel with the voice of Foghorn Leghorn.

The Colonel is very loved in Japan, he appears in tons of animes and games. Same with Pizza Hut.

Steve5513:

Have it your way!

The mascot of a fast food chain as a playable character in a video game?!?!?

imageimage

... Preposterous!

Sebenko:
What? Advertising in games?!

*reads news*

My sentiments prexactly

Steve5513:

sadly, it ends the way you think it would:

OT: ...........*ahem*

Why are people here impressed?

This a crass and ugly thing to do to a game. Billboards in the background I can live with, reasonable product placement can be tolerated but this?

I'm not going to buy a game that contains this crapulous monstrosity, which is a shame as I rather like the phantasy star games.

icyneesan:
The Colonel is very loved in Japan, he appears in tons of animes and games. Same with Pizza Hut.

That I can live with, so long as it's avoidable and quick its just a pop culture reference.

Unrulyhandbag:

Think about it for a second: We are going to beat the living shit out of monsters as a old man with a cane.

That, my friend is Crazy awesome.

I can see how this is actually a good idea, In Japan around Christmas, KFC sales go through the roof.

What is it about japan and the kernel...?

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

Think about it for a second: We are going to beat the living shit out of monsters as a old man with a cane.

I can see how this is actually a good idea, In Japan around Christmas, KFC sales go through the roof.

No, we are having our faces rubbed in the dirty aspect of someone else's secondary income in the worst possible way. Not just for a little while but for the WHOLE GAME. Why would I want a player character that has no legitimate place in the games setting?

Unrulyhandbag:

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

No, we are having our faces rubbed in the dirty aspect of someone else's secondary income in the worst possible way. Not just for a little while but for the WHOLE GAME. Why would I want a player character that has no legitimate place in the games setting?

Maybe because it's a easter egg? Why is Pizza hut in the game anyway?

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

yes why? It was enough to put me off buying the last game and now I won't be buying the next.
You can say that's my loss but I just find it awfully distasteful.

Perhaps the good colonel is trying to expand into other culinary machinations...like the meat of his victims in this game?

Unrulyhandbag:

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

Dr. wonderful:

Unrulyhandbag:

yes why? It was enough to put me off buying the last game and now I won't be buying the next.
You can say that's my loss but I just find it awfully distasteful.

Hey, one fan annoyance is another fan favorite.

But I'm seriously thinking it to do with the fact that KFC and Pizza Hutt are VERY popular in Japan to the point that Pizza hut was feature in a anime.

(Code geass By the way)

Treblaine:
The mascot of a fast food chain as a playable character in a video game?!?!?

imageimage

... Preposterous!

Now it just remains to be seen if it works.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here