How to Drop Items in Sons of the Forest

Here is the full answer to how to drop items from your inventory in Sons of the Forest, but it's a rather strange one.

In Sons of the Forest, you’ll be shoving things into your inventory at every opportunity. After all, survival is going to be extremely difficult with empty pockets. But how do you drop items from your inventory in Sons of the Forest?

Recommended Videos

Dropping Items in Sons of the Forest, Explained

The way to drop objects in Sons of the Forest is to hold the object in your hand and press G on the keyboard or the B button on the controller. But you can only drop objects if there’s no more room for that item in your inventory.

Yes, you read that right. You can only actually drop objects that won’t fit in your inventory. So, if you’re carrying a log or similar in your hands, pressing G will make you drop it. But if it will fit in your inventory, G just unequips it and returns it to your inventory.

There are a few exceptions — pressing G will unequip the axe, but it won’t unequip the GPS map. Instead, you’ll have to press the map key, M, a second time to put it away. And if you’ve got too many of an object already in your inventory, the game won’t let you add any more.

But there’s no way of removing an object from your inventory and dropping it. Objects only leave your inventory if you eat them or use them in some other way, such as combining them with another item.

That might seem like a pretty big oversight on the part of Endnight Games, Sons of the Forest’s developer. However, it makes a little more sense when you factor in how Sons of the Forest‘s inventory system works.

Related: How to Cheat at Sons of the Forest

How Does the Inventory System Work in Sons of the Forest?

Unlike Resident Evil, which gives you a finite amount of shared inventory space, Sons of the Forest‘s inventory system works on stacks. The area to the bottom right of your backpack, for example, is used to store rocks. Once you’ve collected the maximum number of rocks (ten in this case), you can’t put more in your inventory.

There’s another section for bones, another for sticks, and so on, each with a maximum limit. That’s how the game limits what you can carry – there are no weight or total capacity checks. It takes a bit of getting used to, and I was sure it’d be changed sometime during Steam Early Access. But now the game’s had its full release, the inventory system has remained the same.

So, if you’re wondering how to drop items in Sons of the Forest, the answer is that you can only drop items when you’ve no more stack space to carry them.

Sons of the Forest is available on PC.

The above article was updated on 3/28/2024 by Chris McMullen to clarify information about Sons of the Forest.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article All Stardew Valley Update 1.6.3 Patch Notes
A pixel-art farm in Stardew Valley
Read Article How to Evolve Inkay into Malamar
Image of the Pokemon Inkay with an arrow to its evolved form, Malamar
Read Article How to Stop Check Swings in MLB The Show 24
Adley Rutschman at bat in MLB The Show 24.
Related Content
Read Article All Stardew Valley Update 1.6.3 Patch Notes
A pixel-art farm in Stardew Valley
Read Article How to Evolve Inkay into Malamar
Image of the Pokemon Inkay with an arrow to its evolved form, Malamar
Read Article How to Stop Check Swings in MLB The Show 24
Adley Rutschman at bat in MLB The Show 24.
Author
Chris McMullen
Freelance contributor at The Escapist. I've returned to writing about games after a couple of career changes, with my recent stint lasting five-plus years. I hope, through my writing work, to settle the karmic debt I incurred by persuading my parents to buy a Mega CD. Aside from writing for The Escapist, I also cover news and more for GameSpew. I've also been published at other sites including VG247, Space, and more. My tastes run to horror, the post-apocalyptic, and beyond, though I'll tackle most things that aren't exclusively sports-based.