Fox Officially Greenlights Independence Day Sequel

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Fox Officially Greenlights Independence Day Sequel

Two decades later, the seminal alien-invasion blockbuster finally gets its sequel

Looks like Jurassic Park isn't the only 90s classic getting a new lease on life. Twentieth Century Fox has officially given the go-ahead for a sequel to the iconic blockbuster Independence Day.

The original film, also called "ID4," was one of the biggest box-office hits of all time when it was released in 1996. A sort of "optimist's apocalypse," it depicted a scenario whereby an attempted extinction of the human race by a massive fleet of alien invaders ultimately unites humanity across racial, cultural and national borders to defend their planet and their lives.

The sequel, currently set for a June 24, 2016 debut, will reunite the original director/producer team of Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin, who also penned the first draft of the new film's script - the premise of which has not been revealed. Will Smith, who effectively kick-started his movie star career with the original, is not expected to return at this time. Also unclear is where this new project fits with the duo's plans to reboot their Stargate franchise and Emmerich's involvement with the gay-rights drama Stonewall.

Source: Deadline

I has a sad now. It's a damn big sad, too.

But......why ? 1996. Sure took ya dame time. But also...just...why.

Big corperations, by continuing to make sequel/reboot one after another because its a "sure thing".

You will get more people like me, who Never watch a sequel/reboot, unless its on a free redbox rental.

Its called closure yo.

This is new? I could have sworn this was in the works for years now.

EDIT:

Ya, I thought so. Since November 2009 it's been known that that two back-to-back Independence Day sequels were being planned.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628842/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Ukomba:
This is new? I could have sworn this was in the works for years now.

EDIT:

Ya, I thought so. Since November 2009 it's been known that that two back-to-back Independence Day sequels were being planned.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628841/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1628842/?ref_=nv_sr_2

Not the same as actually getting the official go ahead to seriously start working on it. So yes, new.

I'm not entirely against this... and it would be in it's favor to not have the original actors in it... but then it might as well not be an ID4 sequel at that point.

I just don't know if I like the idea of this at all. The more I think about it, the less I like it.

Oh, that's going to be funny... I guess everyone outside the US will be waiting to see whether it'll be, as expected, Team America: World Police 2, Electric Boogaloo, given the first one.

as a sequel it better mesh with the first since like 3/4 of the human race died and most of the major cities were destroyed and there better be no retarded looking son of will smith messing with this picture

I will laugh my head off if this end up being "dark" and "gritty". Hopefully the movie will retain its camp factor even in a post 911 world (saying that makes me feel deep).

And as other posters point out, humanity ain't in top top shape after the last movie, gonna take more then Jeff Goldblum giving the alien mothership a cold to save humanity this time around I think.

If by 'unites humanity' you meant 'showed everyone recognising their utter dependence for survival on the almighty USA' then yeah... I suppose you could say it did that.

Here's hoping it's called Thanksgiving Day, and this time all the aliens are Turkeys.

Frankster:
I will laugh my head off if this end up being "dark" and "gritty". Hopefully the movie will retain its camp factor even in a post 911 world (saying that makes me feel deep).

And as other posters point out, humanity ain't in top top shape after the last movie, gonna take more then Jeff Goldblum giving the alien mothership a cold to save humanity this time around I think.

Nonono, in this movie it will be revealed that aliens were actually on diplomatic mission
And it was humanity that actually started this war by insulting aliens with that helicopter mounted light show
As for that moment with alien speaking with humans via scientist- human-alien connection wasn't without its flaws, besides that alien grunt just had grudge against humans, so that didn't helped as well.

This movie will have original message that humans are the real monsters.

Captcha: brand spanking new
You're right- never ever seen before.

Well - hopefully it'll be a good second popcorn flick

If anything, then I'm far more curious about this here Stargate reboot

So is Lone Star and Seth Brundle, along with his almighty Powerbook, going to return? Those are the only two reasons to make a sequel.

Well, at least it seems like it will be a proper sequel, not one of those faux-reboots that seems to benefit from nostalgia and knowledge of the source material. Because making that out of a 90s movie would be really stupid...

Squilookle:
If by 'unites humanity' you meant 'showed everyone recognising their utter dependence for survival on the almighty USA' then yeah... I suppose you could say it did that.

Here's hoping it's called Thanksgiving Day, and this time all the aliens are Turkeys.

Eh, I don't know about that...

It's more like 'depends for their survival on a crazy scientist and some nutjob that dusts crops for a living.'

But I guess all the other little ships destroyed by the airforces of the countries they were attacking are meaningless, because the good old U. S. OF A. managed to nuke the mothership with some crazy desperate scheme...

The first movie was product of its era. A sequel will just not feel the same with the serious business attitude that most movies of this type have nowadays.

You could argue that Battle Los Angeles WAS the gritty modern reboot of independence day.

Does this mean we have the best extra in history making a comeback?

Okay, does anyone think that ID called for a sequel? I mean the movie was okay and it was fun in what it set out to do, but it doesn't really seem like a movie that needs a follow up. And after the aliens already had one fleet blown to smithereens, you'd think that they'd go looking for an easier target.

Another shitty sequel of a classic in for preparation? I'm not surprised at all, but I'll fucking hate it if they just give it the exact same title as the original. Uncreative pricks

Jinjer:
Okay, does anyone think that ID called for a sequel? I mean the movie was okay and it was fun in what it set out to do, but it doesn't really seem like a movie that needs a follow up. And after the aliens already had one fleet blown to smithereens, you'd think that they'd go looking for an easier target.

Boring isn't it? As amusing as the first one was, I really have no urge to see a retread of the same thing. It's a bit dull.

So in another year or so we should expect to see a Matrix reboot as well? I shouldn't say such things out loud as they very well may come true!

No film defined the mid 90's like Independence Day. This was the moment when American stood on top of the world and without a challenger in sight. The Soviet Union had imploded, China was still in development (as was India and Brazil), and Jihadism was something that only affected 'other' parts of the world. The US also had the advantage of competent and popular president. Watching that film, one could imagine this benign American hegemony lasting forever.
How little did any of us know.

Jinjer:
Okay, does anyone think that ID called for a sequel?

No, it didn't. The mothership blew up; humanity prevailed.

Though I wonder how they'll survive this time since I'm sure the aliens have, at the least, installed a firewall.

Wow! Wow...

So this is how empty Hollywood is of ideas? It's a little impressive actually.

Darks63:
The first movie was product of its era. A sequel will just not feel the same with the serious business attitude that most movies of this type have nowadays.

You could argue that Battle Los Angeles WAS the gritty modern reboot of independence day.

I don't know, Battleship was pretty close in terms of stupid, over the top action and unbelievably cheesy flag-waving. No doubt someone thinks they can still make a buck out of that.

Why? "Aliens try and take over the world" is hardly a unique concept that's only been tried by Independence Day. The concept of that will attract just as many people as "An I.D. sequel".

To be honest, I've been kinda spoiled by Mass Effect in terms of that concept. "Aliens r evil & wil kil us al!!1!" just seems so boring now in comparison to visualizing what aliens might actually be like. Surely there can be more to them than trying to take over our planet.

The aliens come back, turns out they assassinated Steve Jobs, so that they can't be hacked by iPhone this time around. What will our plucky heroes do? D:

Rawbeard:
The aliens come back, turns out they assassinated Steve Jobs, so that they can't be hacked by iPhone this time around. What will our plucky heroes do? D:

Gabe Newell will come to the rescue with the pledge that if he survives, Half-Life 3 will be made. Eventually. Or maybe Sony and Microsoft will set aside their differences and create an army of Xbox and PS4 themed giant robots, controlled by exceptionally strong-willed mind-melded gamers. Oh, wait...

I need to watch this movie. This clip gave me shivers just from watching it. Good shivers, mind. Like with the Pelennor Fields scene where the Rohirrim come charging in in LotR, or basically any scene where a Big Damn Heroes or Rousing Speech. It's just that kind of moment.

well i did always wonder what happened to the hundreds of thousands of aliens who survived their ships crashing

small:
well i did always wonder what happened to the hundreds of thousands of aliens who survived their ships crashing

Basically XCOM, the UFO is shot down and now we need to go in on foot to clean up the mess!

Barciad:
No film defined the mid 90's like Independence Day. This was the moment when American stood on top of the world and without a challenger in sight. The Soviet Union had imploded, China was still in development (as was India and Brazil), and Jihadism was something that only affected 'other' parts of the world. The US also had the advantage of competent and popular president. Watching that film, one could imagine this benign American hegemony lasting forever.
How little did any of us know.

And then Godzilla came, made the whole US military look like morons until it was proven the French were right. True, they kinda caused the problem to begin with, but, heh, who cares about that as long as Jean Reno is badass?

Shamanic Rhythm:

Darks63:

I don't know, Battleship was pretty close in terms of stupid, over the top action and unbelievably cheesy flag-waving. No doubt someone thinks they can still make a buck out of that.

Yes, but Battleship gave us hot ship on ship action, which no other movie gave us for a damn long time.

What? Do you think anyone went to see it for its story?

RicoADF:

small:

Basically XCOM, the UFO is shot down and now we need to go in on foot to clean up the mess!

Which could be a surprisingly good movie if it's done right.

Like War of the Worlds. The aliens are now stuck here, they have plasma weapons and most of our military has been destroyed. So cue brutal fighting for who gets the earth in order to survive.

I wonder if it'll be like Battle: Los Angelos.

Rufus Shinra:

Yes, but Battleship gave us hot ship on ship action, which no other movie gave us for a damn long time.

What? Do you think anyone went to see it for its story?

Especially since every filmed version of War of the Worlds decides that the Thunderchild scene is too awesome(apparently) and skips it. Because why would anyone want to see aliens and warships duking it out?

Oh nice, a movie from the 1990s that does not need a sequel since in ID4 Earth utterly destroyed the mothership via a computer virus and all the ships worldwide became vulnerable, so what exactly do we go from this point in the storyline that I consider "complete" ?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here