Bethesda Teases Impending DOOM Gameplay Reveal

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Bethesda Teases Impending DOOM Gameplay Reveal

The briefest footage after the longest wait.

Read Full Article

Simultaneos release on consoles and PC sounds like PC users can expect a shoddy console port.

Oh this. Yeah, that's pretty much 2 screenshots worth of info. I would have preferred the 10 seconds to contain a hundred varied images to assault my analysis gland. Or we could all stare at the word "DOOM" for an hour? That wouldn't seed any violent thoughts now, would it?

Cool. Can't wait! I've always said there is nothing more trustworthy than scripted, vertical slice gameplay footage for the AAA devs.

They literally spent E3 money to do a reveal on a game nobody wanted.

That is like ninth level of hell stupid.

Oh no not the deleting the number and calling it a reboot!

Now Doom 4 is doomed to be known as Doom 15 forever more, making everyone confused.

Excited about the game itself though, Wolfenstein last year was great, now we just need Quake 5 and Quake Wars 2. From that little video, shotgun and Revenant confirmed... big surprise...

Why couldn't they have stuck with the name of Doom 4? There already is a game called Doom, and it's arguably the greatest first person shooter of all time.

Pr0:

Are you serious [email protected]??

DOOM is one of the... greatest games ever made by mortal men.

Id rather a new DOOM (last one was in 2004) than a new Fallout (2010).
Only a STALKER 2 would be more wanted than it.

Pr0:
a game nobody wanted.

Plenty of gamers want more Doom, although I don't doubt Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls VI will appear at E3 to a louder reception as well.

DOOM hasn't been DOOM since John and Adrian stopped working on it personally.

Seriously don't delude yourselves. There is nothing of the real iD in this game.

Its nothing but a name and a vague set of scenery set to explosions and gunfire that make vaguely monster like things explode.

Its not DOOM, it will never be DOOM. Not even DOOM 3 was DOOM and that actually had iD working on it.

Please keep in mind that this is the same studio that published The Evil Within. This is the same studio that had the arrogant gall to publish Rogue Warrior.

DOOM is just a name they have a legal right to use after acquiring iD...nothing more, nothing less.

After the rumor of a new Fallout being revealed at E3- however false- this strikes a hollow tone.

Rage never needed a sequel. I'd rather they do something about the shoddy ending of a reasonable game than try and scribble some sort of narrative together form the aftermath of the first game.

I'd also like to see a classic sacred enough that a company doesn't touch it again.

Pr0:

Seriously don't delude yourselves. There is nothing of the real iD in this game.

Its nothing but a name and a vague set of scenery set to explosions and gunfire that make vaguely monster like things explode.

Its not DOOM, it will never be DOOM. Not even DOOM 3 was DOOM and that actually had iD working on it.

Please keep in mind that this is the same studio that published The Evil Within. This is the same studio that had the arrogant gall to publish Rogue Warrior.

DOOM is just a name they have a legal right to use after acquiring iD...nothing more, nothing less.

To me, Doom isn't Doom unless it's running on the id Tech 1 engine. I closer associate games like Strife and Chex Quest with Doom than I do with Doom 3.

MonsterCrit:
Simultaneos release on consoles and PC sounds like PC users can expect a shoddy console port.

Bethesda.

B E T H E S D A.

Did anyone ever think otherwise?

It's odd, but there's something comfortingly quaint and familiar about seeing footage of a skeletal demon, clad in metallic armor and shoulder-mounted cannons, walking around a fiery hell-scape. It's similar to that homey feeling of lying on the couch, wrapped in a warm blanket. It feels like home.

Granted, the video's nothing to go by, and, this being Bethesda, the game will almost assuredly have an abysmal PC version, but it feels.....good to see Doom again. It just feels right.

Pr0:

It's also the same company that distributed the latest Wolfenstein game, that wasn't made by any previous Wolfenstein developers, yet turned out to be a success.

Vigormortis:
It's odd, but there's something comfortingly quaint and familiar about seeing footage of a skeletal demon, clad in metallic armor and shoulder-mounted cannons, walking around a fiery hell-scape. It's similar to that homey feeling of lying on the couch, wrapped in a warm blanket. It feels like home.

Granted, the video's nothing to go by, and, this being Bethesda, the game will almost assuredly have an abysmal PC version, but it feels.....good to see Doom again. It just feels right.

Yeah, I know that feeling. It was the same one I got when I booted up the New Order for the first time.

It's good to come home.

NLS:

Pr0:

It's also the same company that distributed the latest Wolfenstein game, that wasn't made by any previous Wolfenstein developers, yet turned out to be a success.

Yes and I'm sure that they're hoping for similar success with DOOM but I don't see it happening. The rocket shooter market is dead...its been dead a long time. All they can do to make DOOM in this era is add a bunch of stuff to it that makes it NOT DOOM.

Which is what they're going to do.

Remember Quake 4? I do. It'll be like that...just probably way worse.

Well Stalker 2 would sit way way above ANY of the above mentioned games, as would a second Dishonoured but Doom 4 over Fallout 4, nah sorry but this is a game clearly riding the nostalgia train. Remember that game you really really really loved as a kid because it was hugely violent and really gory well forget that the third version was a bit shite and take a look at this... nah sorry but the world has moved on so unless Doom 4 is able to deliver something a bit more interesting than oooo look that monster is all kinds of fucked up and look when you shoot it is flies apart in epic gory detail and look you can do that a million times to a whole host of equally fucked up in appearance creatures, then no sorry I would rather have another Fallout game over another Doom.

This game will be one of two things

It will be as described above in which case it will win the love of anyone that still thinks Doom is good (I am sure their are enough folk about who believe that.) Or it will try to do something new to appeal to a new generation of folk who will have never played Doom (yes the game is that old that that is possible) in which case it will just piss off the folk that wanted Doom but with nice new shiny gory graphics.

Pr0:

NLS:

Pr0:

Yes and I'm sure that they're hoping for similar success with DOOM but I don't see it happening. The rocket shooter market is dead...its been dead a long time. All they can do to make DOOM in this era is add a bunch of stuff to it that makes it NOT DOOM.

Which is what they're going to do.

Remember Quake 4? I do. It'll be like that...just probably way worse.

'DOOM'sayers make me giggle. I will be content just waiting to see as to whether or not this new DOOM will live up to the name it inherited. Not by making grandiose assumptions by reading into the crumbs Bethesda/Zenimax have thrown at us so far.

Pr0:

They aren't going to officially announce Fallout 4 a month before their E3 presentation, ya numpty.

Bethesda... this isn't what we want. Not that it's not exciting, but you KNOW what we want. people never went to see Led Zeppelin to hear The Immigrant Song, people never went to see Lynard Skynard to hear Mississippi Kid. and i don't know why i'm referencing classic rock, but whatever...

you know what we want.
shut your mouth and fork it over.

Pr0:

That pretty much sums it up. The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

At this point. Doom is basically just a brand. It has no actual character, no story, no reason to exist beyond showing off an engine. Saddly gamers have long ago learned that shiny graphicsusually mean short linear games.

Doom3 was a failure. THe Doom Engine went up against the HL2 Source Engine and lost badly.. Mostly because after a while we all got the idea that the tight linear corridors were more about hiding the Engine's limitations.

MonsterCrit:

Pr0:

That pretty much sums it up. The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

At this point. Doom is basically just a brand. It has no actual character, no story, no reason to exist beyond showing off an engine. Saddly gamers have long ago learned that shiny graphicsusually mean short linear games.

Doom3 was a failure. THe Doom Engine went up against the HL2 Source Engine and lost badly.. Mostly because after a while we all got the idea that the tight linear corridors were more about hiding the Engine's limitations.

Doom 3 was a failure? Says whom? Not only was it a critical hit on the Xbox, but as shown with the BFG edition's release, it has seen to a great number of sales, once again, on both the 360 and on the PC. Whether you like Doom 3 or not, is not relevant. What is relevant, is that Doom 3, was in no way, a failure.

It always cracks me up when people use their own opinions as confirmation bias, in order to condemn/dismiss games that they do not personally like.

GarouxBloodline:

MonsterCrit:

Pr0:

Doom 3 was a failure? Says whom? Not only was it a critical hit on the Xbox, but as shown with the BFG edition's release, it has seen to a great number of sales, once again, on both the 360 and on the PC. Whether you like Doom 3 or not, is not relevant. What is relevant, is that Doom 3, was in no way, a failure.

It always cracks me up when people use their own opinions as confirmation bias, in order to condemn/dismiss games that they do not personally like.

\

Yes yes, Doom3 Made lots of money... but you know what.. so did th Blair Witch project. And do not even mention the BFG EEdition. That was one of the most shameless money gouges I've seen. I mean The fan made HD remake was better... and that was free.

MonsterCrit:

GarouxBloodline:

MonsterCrit:

\

Yes yes, Doom3 Made lots of money... but you know what.. so did th Blair Witch project. And do not even mention the BFG EEdition. That was one of the most shameless money gouges I've seen. I mean The fan made HD remake was better... and that was free.

What you are proposing, is circular logic. You dismiss hard evidence, in favour of your own bias, by saying "Doom 3 was a failure, because I said so." I like Doom 3. Am I going to state that it is a good game, as a fact? No; I would prefer sticking to the hard statistics, as to whether or not gamer favour has validated its existence. And they have.

Charcharo:

Pr0:

Amen to that, man. Aaah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R... really any more content would be awesome.

Is that a Revenant I see? Jeez, I hated those guys... good choice to show one, I reckon!

Heck, if the game has more of an original Doom roster but totally polished modern graphics, it might end up being a really fun shooter

I'll just leave this here.

http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/05/doom-4s-earlier-scrapped-version-sure-looked-different/

I enjoy hearing the lamentations of DOOMers. :)

A few seconds of footage is probably all they can manage before the game crashes.

Pr0:

Hmmm...

Who needs a new TES, when the Witcher 3 came out. Fallout 4 is not the same Fallout as FO1 and 2. I can use that logic too.

Wolfenstein? MachineGames made it awesome. One of the best games in years.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein, only id's engine. Made by different companies though. One of the greatest FPS games ever made. A classic.

Enemy Territory? Master Class in Multiplayer.

It not being made by id? Not a good thing. Not a bad thing. id had and maybe still have a lot of talent. Guess what though... MANY developers are talented at what they do.

the December King:

Charcharo:

Pr0:

Amen to that, man. Aaah, S.T.A.L.K.E.R... really any more content would be awesome.

Is that a Revenant I see? Jeez, I hated those guys... good choice to show one, I reckon!

Heck, if the game has more of an original Doom roster but totally polished modern graphics, it might end up being a really fun shooter

GSC Game World announced Cossacks 3. That is part of the classics of RTS games :).

Who's actually developing this then? Is it iD themselves, or have MachineGames been secretly tinkering away while working on Wolfenstein?

Me55enger:
I'd also like to see a classic sacred enough that a company doesn't touch it again.

Like how Copolla should've stayed away from "Heart Of Darkness"? James Cameron shouldn't have done "Aliens"? Sequels can't do anything rite, amirite?

I heard the new Doom will be less Doom3 and moar Brutal Doom. If thats true, that would certainly be a step in the right direction IMO.

MonsterCrit:
... The fact that this is yet anotherdo over shows that the game will be little more than a tech-demo of their new engine... I mean I give Doom 2 a lot of flack for being a lazy sequel but at least it advanced the plot a litrtle... .

"Doom3 was a failure" -- Says You.

"Engine's limitations"? How about "typical gaming computer's limitations"? Doom 3 wasnt the high-octane shooting gallery it used to me, but guess what -- it wasnt trying to be. Doom 3 had two objectives -- raise the bar on gfx fidelity to a level nobody at the time imagined possible (check!) and scare the bajeezus out of players (CHECK!!!). It's true, Doom 3 was a glorified tech demo, with some "System Shock 2" survival horror copy&pasted into the design doc.... and still it achieved it's goals. Hell, stick some n00b infront of it today and they'll crap their pants just as hard as they would've 10 years ago. "Failure" my ass.

OK...

You know what, if Croteam weren't busy with Serious Sam 4, I would just recommend id outsource it to them and have them show id just how this is ****ing done. They've shown time and time again that they know exactly how to make these kinds of games.

Wait, since when is it cool to hate on Doom? 3 had some issues since it tried to be a horror game but now more then ever there have been plenty of games that grab the best of Doom and end up being good. From what was shown (to the guys that run these sites) it follows those elements very well.

Wolfenstein, Shadow Warrior, the second half of Serious Sam BFE were all good, its all a matter of if these guys have the skills since the game seems to be trying to be like these other games. Rage had good action so a game of just that seems to be on the right track.

This isnt the scrapped version where it really was Doom only in name:
http://www.kotaku.com.au/2015/05/doom-4s-earlier-scrapped-version-sure-looked-different/

I'm pretty hyped, that's all I'm saying.
Not going to lie, I can't claim to be an original DOOM fan, I'm pretty sure the game's older than I am but here's my story.
I saw the DOOM movie and you could stick the DVD in your xbox and play a demo of DOOM 3. Yeah, I know, the *most perfect* way to be introduced to DOOM, right?
Anyway.
I liked the demo and got DOOM 3, really liked it, not much more to say other than some time after that, I sold the game to get money for whatever and my doom fanboy went away for a little while.
Then the BFG edition came out and that was it for me. A chance to play to original DOOM games, let alone co-op with my sister and that was awesome. We've finished DOOM and DOOM 2 and we've had a blast with it, so yeah, we're pretty hyped for this new DOOM.
And I don't care what any of you say, I still like DOOM 3. Yeah, it's not as "DOOM" as the first two but hey, still pretty good.

Pr0:

Nobody wants a DOOM3 2.

Everybody that was old enough to use a keyboard and mouse in the 90s wants another DOOM though.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here