Does auto-aim make Rockstar's games more accessible or does it kill the multiplayer communities?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

I can seldom find populated free aim servers. And, often when I do find small numbers of players in free aim, they quit after I've killed them a few times. Playing in soft lock servers is NOT FUN. You try your best, but they still instantly kill you. You can barely run and gun. Sniping is safer, because distance is the only edge you have over controller users. Almost everyone uses a controller because for some reason people believe third person games need to be played with controllers, and they use soft lock because it's easier. They want the game to play itself. Let's just call soft lock what it is: Auto-aim. In other games, auto-aimers are called CHEATERS.

Disgusting.

Man, the GTA PVP crowd is off its game and have apparently lost the fine art of flicking the stick up as the lock happens for guaranteed headshots (that or they've lowered TTK enough it doesn't matter).

Seth Carter:
Man, the GTA PVP crowd is off its game and have apparently lost the fine art of flicking the stick up as the lock happens for guaranteed headshots (that or they've lowered TTK enough it doesn't matter).

The pic is for MP3, but it has the same kind of targeting system, where you can do precise shots while locked on, like in Everything or Nothing.

I never used soft lock in RDR and I did well in single player. There's a controller user in my crew who always crushes me in one on one free aim. No one needs this feature. The Uncharted games were quite successful third person shooters without it.

Just hopping over from the massive Jim Sterling thread, auto-aim/aim assist is basically Rockstar's "easy mode", and it's a great example of how something like that definitely changes the game; not for the better, either. All it does is fracture the player base and muddle the playing field with different standards. People get confused, ask why that is and then end up saying why bother.

It makes me wonder how games like CoD remain so popular. I think even when you turn aim assist off it's still somewhat active though. With that player base I'd be surprised if many even chose that option anyways. I'd rather still play Killzone games on console because they don't use that shit. Shame it's probably a big factor of why they aren't as popular but oh well. I'd hate if they ever lowered their standards to chase more sales.

hanselthecaretaker:
Just hopping over from the massive Jim Sterling thread, auto-aim/aim assist is basically Rockstar?s ?easy mode?, and it?s a great example of how something like that definitely changes the game; not for the better, either. All it does is fracture the player base and muddle the playing field with different standards. People get confused, ask why that is and then end up saying why bother.

It makes me wonder how games like CoD remain so popular. I think even when you turn aim assist off it?s still somewhat active though. With that player base I?d be surprised if many even chose that option anyways. I?d rather still play Killzone games on console because they don?t use that shit. Shame it?s probably a big factor is why they aren?t as popular but oh well. I?d hate if they ever lowered their standards to chase more sales.

I don't know. I don't feel any aim assist when I play Call of Duty 4 on Windows. But aim assist would be far, FAR more tolerable and fairer than soft lock fucking auto-aim.

Ezekiel:
I don't know. I don't feel any aim assist when I play Call of Duty 4 on Windows. But aim assist would be far, FAR more tolerable and fairer than soft lock fucking auto-aim.

It's mostly a console thing. The devs' way of 'secretly' compensating for a controller's lesser accuracy compared to a mouse and keyboard. And yes, even when aim assist is turned off there will still be aim assist on consoles. Even if it's lessened so it's barely noticeable unless you really look for it.

Ezekiel:

hanselthecaretaker:
Just hopping over from the massive Jim Sterling thread, auto-aim/aim assist is basically Rockstar?s ?easy mode?, and it?s a great example of how something like that definitely changes the game; not for the better, either. All it does is fracture the player base and muddle the playing field with different standards. People get confused, ask why that is and then end up saying why bother.

It makes me wonder how games like CoD remain so popular. I think even when you turn aim assist off it?s still somewhat active though. With that player base I?d be surprised if many even chose that option anyways. I?d rather still play Killzone games on console because they don?t use that shit. Shame it?s probably a big factor is why they aren?t as popular but oh well. I?d hate if they ever lowered their standards to chase more sales.

You play with a mouse though right? I'd be surprised if any aim manipulators applied to mouse users. I thought it was only for gamepads.

hanselthecaretaker:
You play with a mouse though right? I?d be surprised if any aim manipulators applied to mouse users. I thought it was only for gamepads.

Yes.

I can kind of sympathize. Just played several rounds of free for all with two peeps from my friends list. One was using a controller, the other a mouse. In one round the controller user had like two kills and eight deaths.

Him: "hate free aim"
Me: "Sorry"
Him: "It's fine"
In the next match, he takes really long to turn towards me and I strafe and blow him away.
Me: "Okay, I saw that. I don't think you can turn fast enough with that analog stick. No offense."
Him: "free aim with controller is awful !!!"
Me: "Yeah."

Some players are really good with controllers, but most don't stand a chance against mouse users. But, I mean, if it's that bad, maybe you should try learning the keyboard and mouse controls. Or play it on consoles where everyone is equal. Auto-aim is a bad solution.

Also, I replayed a GTA V mission yesterday to see if the game is hard without auto-aim and cover, as someone tried telling me. I didn't really struggle. But, holy hell, those controls feel so sluggish and awful.

Gave the game a bad Steam review shortly after. After posting that, I discovered that Valve removed the "Not helpful" rating. That's dumb. I guess everyone has to be a special snowflake. No feelings hurt. I liked knowing how many people hated my few reviews. "4 people found this review helpful" doesn't tell me anything.

It's retarded. I'm used to PC gaming. When I found out that console games used aim assist (auto aim), I was truly amazed. I couldn't believe it. That's today's society: always needing their hand held.

For the campaign, though, I can understand it. Without a mouse and keyboard, the precision required isn't attainable in the same way. However, in multiplayer, it doesn't belong; it's not like you're up against AI bots that have an unfair advantage (like in the campaign).

Ezekiel:

Some players are really good with controllers, but most don't stand a chance against mouse users. But, I mean, if it's that bad, maybe you should try learning the keyboard and mouse controls. Or play it on consoles where everyone is equal. Auto-aim is a bad solution.

Games with guns that operate with even a basic level of physics can shrink the gap a bit too. Sticks give you a wider range of movement to move in ways that are harder to lead. But games using hitscan laser gun physics because they can't be bothered with actual projectiles strips that down a ton. Or if you get the games that treat swinging your aim around rapidly as actually exerting momentum on your gun and aim, though thats even rarer then the projectiles being projectiles.

What Rockstar game has a multiplayer community besides for GTAV? And I doubt GTAV is played in a serious competitive manner, I'm guessing it's all about fucking around basically or trolling. Auto-aim merely fits with that kinda laid-back style. Rockstar just cares about selling Shark cards now anyway.

Ezekiel:

hanselthecaretaker:
You play with a mouse though right? I?d be surprised if any aim manipulators applied to mouse users. I thought it was only for gamepads.

Yes.

I can kind of sympathize. Just played several rounds of free for all with two peeps from my friends list. One was using a controller, the other a mouse. In one round the controller user had like two kills and eight deaths.

Him: "hate free aim"
Me: "Sorry"
Him: "It's fine"
In the next match, he takes really long to turn towards me and I strafe and blow him away.
Me: "Okay, I saw that. I don't think you can turn fast enough with that analog stick. No offense."
Him: "free aim with controller is awful !!!"
Me: "Yeah."

Yeah, if everyone's playing on PC, where you typically go out of your way to use a gamepad, then bitching about an angled playing field seems beside the point; the point being what you said. The only time I really use a gamepad on PC is when games were clearly console ports with shoddy kb/m implementation.

To list a few:
Silent Hill series
Dark Souls (only played original on PC so far; maybe 2/3 work better)
The Evil Within

Then there are fighting games, which just make more practical sense using a gamepad. But if someone wanted to try playing with a kb/mouse then more power to them. Having said that, the above same notion would apply there as well.

Phoenixmgs:
What Rockstar game has a multiplayer community besides for GTAV?

I don't know why you say these things. The Max Payne 3 community is small, but it is a community.

Even the much older GTA IV and San Andreas still have communities.

He probably asked it because you opened the thread with a random picture and just expected everyone to know what game you were complaining about

Squilookle:
He probably asked it because you opened the thread with a random picture and just expected everyone to know what game you were complaining about

No, that's not why he asked. Does it matter what game it is? I don't think it does. They all have the same system. Besides, y'all don't like me talking about MP3 so much and none of you play it online anyway, so better to make this about Rockstar games in general.

Ezekiel:

Phoenixmgs:

I don't know why you say these things. The Max Payne 3 community is small, but it is a community.

No one plays it competitively, which is my point. Youtube search "max payne 3 clan" and filter by over the last month, then Youtube search "mgo2 clan" with the same filter. Not one clan match video for MP3 while there's clan matches for MGO2, which is no longer even supported by the publisher and you need to download a PS3 restoration file via a torrent to play the game. The Rockstar online communities don't care about playing competitively and just play for fun basically and auto-aim fits in with those communities that just wanna have fun, which is the freaking question you are asking. So no, auto-aim doesn't kill the communities.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

Phoenixmgs:

No one plays it competitively, which is my point. Youtube search "max payne 3 clan" and filter by over the last month, then Youtube search "mgo2 clan" with the same filter. Not one clan match video for MP3 while there's clan matches for MGO2, which is no longer even supported by the publisher and you need to download a PS3 restoration file via a torrent to play the game. The Rockstar online communities don't care about playing competitively and just play for fun basically and auto-aim fits in with those communities that just wanna have fun, which is the freaking question you are asking. So no, auto-aim doesn't kill the communities.

Yeah, I knew you were gonna talk about how MP3 isn't competitive. You don't know anything about the multiplayer. The reason you can't find any clan videos is because they're not called clans, they're called crews. Here is one I just uploaded:

Ezekiel:
Yeah, I knew you were gonna talk about how MP3 isn't competitive. You don't know anything about the multiplayer. The reason you can't find any clan videos is because they're not called clans, they're called crews. Here is one I just uploaded:

Lol, so the only Max Payne 3 "crew" video put up in the last month was the video you literally uploaded 9 minutes ago? And that's not even a clan or "crew" match/battle either.

Nothing wrong with auto aim as long as they turn it off for the higher difficulty levels and make a hardcore mode for multiplayer

Phoenixmgs:

Lol, so the only Max Payne 3 "crew" video put up in the last month was the video you literally uploaded 9 minutes ago? And that's not even a clan or "crew" match/battle either.

Actually, I uploaded it a while ago, but I didn't decide to publish it until I read your post. You should see how these crews talk about each other. Just admit you're out of your depth.

Someone on Steam also posted this kind of dumb, kind of funny video the other day:

MGO doesn't interest me for very long. Too few guns. No running and gunning. No physics. The new one doesn't even have a freaking chat system. The first PC release and you can't even type.

The Rockstar online communities don't care about playing competitively and just play for fun basically and auto-aim fits in with those communities that just wanna have fun, which is the freaking question you are asking. So no, auto-aim doesn't kill the communities.

Fortunately, I've been able to find a lot of free aim matches over the last several days. I hear FA is dead on consoles. Edit: This is a free aim match, happening right now:

I don't recognize some of those names, though. It's because of the autumn sale.

Besides, seeing how many clan videos one can find is a dumb way to decide if a game is competitive. I shouldn't have even humored that thought. Everyone wants to win.

CannibalCorpses:
Nothing wrong with auto aim as long as they turn it off for the higher difficulty levels and make a hardcore mode for multiplayer

The problem is that when you make an easier option available and especially make it the default, most people will pick it, which segments the community that may already be small.

Ezekiel:
Besides, seeing how many clan videos one can find is a dumb way to decide if a game is competitive. I shouldn't have even humored that thought. Everyone wants to win.

There were no clan videos for MP3, there is no competitive scene presently, there might have been one but there isn't one now. How much have you played shooters? Because well over 90% of players don't try to win nor do they even understand how to PTFO!!! Here's a thread in which a player is trying to instruct everyone how to play one of the simplest game modes and he failed at Step 1. I only found it awhile back when googling "cod domination" to make sure I got the game mode right because I haven't played COD since COD4, it's the 3rd result BTW.

Phoenixmgs:

Ezekiel:

There were no clan videos for MP3, there is no competitive scene presently, there might have been one but there isn't one now. How much have you played shooters? Because well over 90% of players don't try to win nor do they even understand how to PTFO!!! Here's a thread in which a player is trying to instruct everyone how to play one of the simplest game modes and he failed at Step 1. I only found it awhile back when googling "cod domination" to make sure I got the game mode right because I haven't played COD since COD4, it's the 3rd result BTW.

According to your narrow view. Any versus multiplayer game is competitive. That's the whole point of it. You're so full of shit. There are plenty of matches, probably most, in which we, people on both teams, are not just relaxing but are determined to win. That's competitiveness. They get so into it that they sometimes curse each other out after it's over or claim the winner was cheating. But you come up with your arbitrary rule to decide what is competitive and what isn't and pretend to know a multiplayer game you never play. You're ridiculous. I don't know why you keep doing this. It's the same with Dark Souls and how you keep telling everyone it's so easy and shallow. Basically, telling the kid his awesome new bike sucks, as Kerg3927's analogy put it. Except in this case, you're more of an ignorant outsider.

Ezekiel:
According to your narrow view. Any versus multiplayer game is competitive. That's the whole point of it. You're so full of shit. There are plenty of matches, probably most, in which we, people on both teams, are not just relaxing but are determined to win. That's competitiveness. They get so into it that they sometimes curse each other out after it's over or claim the winner was cheating. But you come up with your arbitrary rule to decide what is competitive and what isn't and pretend to know a multiplayer game you never play. You're ridiculous. I don't know why you keep doing this. It's the same with Dark Souls and how you keep telling everyone it's so easy and shallow. Basically, telling the kid his awesome new bike sucks, as Kerg3927's analogy put it. Except in this case, you're more of an ignorant outsider.

The vast majority of people just play for KDR and camp, they don't even try to win. Then you have all those wannabe snipers that sit in their own spawns (since most games make it so you can't go into the enemy spawn) and get like 5 kills a game making their team play down a man. Then, you have the people that literally sit on the objective camping it when the whole point is to stop the enemy from even getting there because just giving the enemy half the map is how you win the game apparently. Just boot up a match of COD Domination (one of the most basic modes out there) and see how many people run to their spawn flag/objective at the start; if you do that against a competent team, you've lost the match in less than 5 seconds really. Then they yell at the other team for "spawn" camping after the game when the reason that happened is because they didn't even contend for map control at the start of the match and just gave it away for free. But according to you, everyone is trying so hard to win the game; well, shouldn't they have a decent idea on what it takes to win if they wanna win so bad? I have a loadout in GRFS just for team-killing purposes because people don't try to win.

Can you get on MP3 and get a clan, oh my bad, crew match going? If you can't, there isn't a competitive scene simple as that. BTW, GRFS doesn't have a competitive scene anymore either.

Phoenixmgs:
Can you get on MP3 and get a clan, oh my bad, crew match going? If you can't, there isn't a competitive scene simple as that.

If you say it, it must be true, right? Give me a break. Pretty much any match in any versus multiplayer game is competitive. Even a shitty team can have players with competitive attitudes, people who want to win. You can't twist the meaning of the word to fit your argument. You don't think MP3 players wanna be the top player (of the winning team) taunting everyone else in a mini-cutscene after the match? Oh, you wouldn't know about that, because you don't know MP3. Next you're gonna say being the best of the team isn't important, even though the point of deathmatch is to rack up as many kills as possible. MP3 has objective modes too. Gang wars. People seldom play it, but it's there.

since most games make it so you can't go into the enemy spawn

Citation needed.

You also don't know about crew feuds, which happen fairly regularly during busy hours.

Jesus dude maybe the game isn't for you, you're constantly praising the theory of things you don't actually enjoy in practice. Make private matches with your friends or maybe try playing something else.

Ezekiel:
Pretty much any match in any versus multiplayer game is competitive. Even a shitty team can have players with competitive attitudes, people who want to win. You can't twist the meaning of the word to fit your argument. You don't think MP3 players wanna be the top player (of the winning team) taunting everyone else in a mini-cutscene after the match? Oh, you wouldn't know about that, because you don't know MP3. Next you're gonna say being the best of the team isn't important, even though the point of deathmatch is to rack up as many kills as possible. MP3 has objective modes too. Gang wars. People seldom play it, but it's there.

since most games make it so you can't go into the enemy spawn

Citation needed.

You also don't know about crew feuds, which happen fairly regularly during busy hours.

The vast majority of players want good stats vs actually winning. The fact deathmatch is the main mode played means MP3 isn't very competitive. What modes are played in competitive shooters that are the most popular whether it's CS or Rainbow 6 Siege or Overwatch? Objective modes. Overwatch and Rainbow 6 Siege don't even have deathmatch modes. Deathmatch modes are always the most boring and are played by most players just to "warm-up" or to screw around basically.

I haven't gotten into many current-gen online games because I haven't really found much I like but with last-gen shooters, it was quite common for each team having spawn areas that the enemy team wasn't allowed to enter. It's a lazy and easy way to stop spawn camping.

How many crew matches have you played in MP3? Just answer that. Crew feuds aren't clan battles. Just so you know, I've played 800 squad matches in GRFS and even more in MGO.

For an "insult" like that, I find it ridiculous that I got a two week suspension. No wonder so many users abandoned this place. I'm probably gonna get permabanned arguing with Phoenix. But this place is almost dead anyway.

You said the MP3 players don't mind the auto-aim. I can't find where you said that now, but I'm sure you did. Maybe you edited your post. I've played with lots of free-aimers who openly dislike it, and seen more complaints about it on Steam. They, most of them, wouldn't be playing in free aim if they didn't have a problem with soft lock. I can barely run and gun in soft lock. I often use sniper rifles because I have a better chance of picking players off at a distance or one-shotting them from the hip. I have to stay at a distance in a freaking Max Payne game. After avoiding soft lock as much as possible, I finally got my KD and win-lose ratios above 1.0. Part of it was me improving, but I think most of it was just avoiding that trashy auto-aim mode and playing Max Payne as it should be played. I dislike auto-aim, many other Max Payne players dislike auto-aim, people in this thread dislike auto-aim in multiplayer games. But, of course, you need to be the contrarian.

As for there not being crew on crew videos, I was able to find some just by looking through playlists of people I play with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7Z6vQJoCXs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDo0lBK75wA
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo-6nu9vwLVZ3bn0CHKmCpw

Still, it's a dumb standard by which to decide if a game is competitive. "Plain and simple," my butt.

Ezekiel:
But this place is almost dead anyway.

They're green anyway, said the fox about the grapes.

Johnny Novgorod:

Ezekiel:

I don't follow. Whatever, man. You never give me anything but sarcasm and japes anyway.

Ezekiel:

Johnny Novgorod:

Ezekiel:

I don't follow. Whatever, man. You never give me anything but sarcasm and japes anyway.

Aw sweet, quote notifications are back on.
All you do is complain, complain, complain. The things you like aren't popular enough, people don't play the right games, they don't play the way you want them to play, you make a post for every little petty grievance as if the site were your personal blog and generally come across as bitter, dismissive and unable to enjoy anything. Even the stuff you claim to like you praise with the curt, joyless manner of a Marine congratulating his son for his discipline. Nothing suits you and the world is at fault.

I'll stop when my threads stop getting replies. Obviously, some people do care. Now go away and spread your mockery some place else.

Ezekiel:
I'll stop when my threads stop getting replies. Obviously, some people do care. Now go away and spread your mockery some place else.

I think it's goofy that you, one of the more interesting and thought provoking users on this site got banned for literally nothing Zeke'. Once I clicked on the reason why you got banned I rolled my eyes so hard I must have popped a vessel.

Sure, you may come off curmudgeonly at times but your contributions to this site are always thought provoking and never the typical forum jockey crap you see all over the internet. You'd think that would be celebrated more.

...or maybe you need to make more threads like "Am I the only one that..." or "_______is overrated." or maybe yet another useless thread discussing graphics or what system is better and why *eyeroll*.

No wonder the thread traffic up in this joint keeps dipping.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here