Valkyria Chronicles IV is gonna be out in under two weeks!

Words can not express my excitement. This one is a series I loved to death when it was brand new, over a decade ago. I didn't play the recent remake because the original experience was still with me so it'd feel repetitious, I liked it just that much. Now finally after all this time a new game on a non-portable is coming out. I went full in and got the LE version with the tank figure preordered, this one is worth it. I hope this game does as well as it deserves unlike the first one in the series and becomes a household name. For whatever it's worth, the reviews seem to be coming out pretty damn positive for a Jrpg, so I'm hoping the game is enjoyed by a lot of people here as well.

Read a few reviews but none of them answered my biggest question, are the mission still ranked based on time? VC1 is fun when you just play them naturally, trying to use a large crew and explore/conquer most of the map. But if you do it like that you'll get shit grade in every mission. Apparently the dev consider that the real way to play the game is to use 1/2 scout over and over again and rush the objective, with many mission being literally doable in your initial turn (ie the enemy doesn't even get a turn).

...and I for one can't wait!

Meiam:
Read a few reviews but none of them answered my biggest question, are the mission still ranked based on time? VC1 is fun when you just play them naturally, trying to use a large crew and explore/conquer most of the map. But if you do it like that you'll get shit grade in every mission. Apparently the dev consider that the real way to play the game is to use 1/2 scout over and over again and rush the objective, with many mission being literally doable in your initial turn (ie the enemy doesn't even get a turn).

Yeah, going though the game a second time, trying to get the best score on every level, was actually boring as you don't really get to play with most of the cool parts of the game if you want to complete the mission in the quickest time possible.

I literally never cared about "scores". Just the narrative and characters as well as the epic battles. I think playing this game and focusing on the best way to get high scores is like trying to use a pizza as a windmill/kouga shuriken, sure, you "could" try and do that, but the point of pizza is to exist as food and not as projectile weaponry.

You can always just redo stuff if you wanna min and max or time attack or what have you but the game really isn't about those types of things. It's about a heartfelt war epic and cool strategical battles.

For example, there's this one stage in VC1 where Selvaria is an enemy but not the objective so you are tasked to bypass her and destroy this very large tank. Her attacks as you walk around however will intercept you and kill off most units pretty fast. My way of going through that battle was absolutely hilarious. Selvaria's attacks, you see, would not harm the tank at all, since she apparently counted as an infantry unit or something, so what I would do is use the tank as cover to transport my units through her firing area, by placing my units behind the tank so that it'd block her fire and moving them only from the rear end of the tank to the front end, ending the turn, then moving the tank far enough where it'd still cover them with it's rear end (which was not very far at all, it was basically distance equal to the length of the tank), and then ending the turn prematurely again and going back to the units. I would do this over and over for I don't know how many turns in order to get them from one part of the stage to the other and I'm sure it did negatively impact my "score" but that gaming moment has stuck with me as one of my most ingenious and hilarious ideas I came up with in any game ever.

I'm definitely looking forward considering it's the biggest release this year for me now that AC7 has been delayed to 2019. My only worry is that they're gonna try make it more like the first without taking any, or very few, of the good stuff from the sequels.

Hell yes, since the demo pretty much put to rest any fear I had that it would be a Revolutions style travesty, this is pretty much my most anticipated game of the year. So much so that I have pre ordered the special edition with the model of the tank and the Squad 7 dlc, something I never usually do, but I want to support this game.

Playing the demo, I expect this to be a lot like the original game which is not a bad thing. I also hope that the characters grow on me too as I wasn't over keen on them to begin with. Mind you, I'm blaming the writing of Persona 5 for ruining other, more typical JRPG writing for me. But yeah, two weeks cannot go fast enough for me, hopefully Shopto will do their usual thing of getting it to me a day or so early.

This pleases me.

Dreiko:
I literally never cared about "scores". Just the narrative and characters as well as the epic battles. I think playing this game and focusing on the best way to get high scores is like trying to use a pizza as a windmill/kouga shuriken, sure, you "could" try and do that, but the point of pizza is to exist as food and not as projectile weaponry.

You can always just redo stuff if you wanna min and max or time attack or what have you but the game really isn't about those types of things. It's about a heartfelt war epic and cool strategical battles.

For example, there's this one stage in VC1 where Selvaria is an enemy but not the objective so you are tasked to bypass her and destroy this very large tank. Her attacks as you walk around however will intercept you and kill off most units pretty fast. My way of going through that battle was absolutely hilarious. Selvaria's attacks, you see, would not harm the tank at all, since she apparently counted as an infantry unit or something, so what I would do is use the tank as cover to transport my units through her firing area, by placing my units behind the tank so that it'd block her fire and moving them only from the rear end of the tank to the front end, ending the turn, then moving the tank far enough where it'd still cover them with it's rear end (which was not very far at all, it was basically distance equal to the length of the tank), and then ending the turn prematurely again and going back to the units. I would do this over and over for I don't know how many turns in order to get them from one part of the stage to the other and I'm sure it did negatively impact my "score" but that gaming moment has stuck with me as one of my most ingenious and hilarious ideas I came up with in any game ever.

I didn't care about scores on my first go through, I just thought on my second go through I'd try to 100% it or whatever.

I've downloaded the demo for IV but I haven't played it yet, not sure if I want to as I already know I'm getting this game and I don't want the demo to spoil things for me. Then again, I want to play it now, not in a couple of weeks.

Yeah I'm not touching the demo either, I don't wanna spoil the start (or whatever part of the game the demo covers) only to be left unable to play further and I plan my first time with this series after so many years to be a day long event so I'm being patient. After waiting for so long, a couple weeks more is nothing.

Also apparently there's this dog in the game and they give you a ps4 controller cover with the LE (I think preorders of the base edition also get it) so this will be the first time I adorn my pad with such artwork haha. Well, nothing better to do it with I guess.

Dreiko:
Yeah I'm not touching the demo either, I don't wanna spoil the start (or whatever part of the game the demo covers) only to be left unable to play further and I plan my first time with this series after so many years to be a day long event so I'm being patient. After waiting for so long, a couple weeks more is nothing.

Also apparently there's this dog in the game and they give you a ps4 controller cover with the LE (I think preorders of the base edition also get it) so this will be the first time I adorn my pad with such artwork haha. Well, nothing better to do it with I guess.

Nothing is really spoiled, its just the first two missions and some skirmishes that just introduce your main characters in setting. It would be worth it to play it the night before release because I believe your progress in the demo carries over and you get access to some exclusive content.

That being said I'm really not that into it. It feels like a DLC expansion for the first VC, which is cool but nowhere near sixty bucks. The basic game play is almost identical and reused assets are everywhere. The addition of mortars is fun but not enough of a game changer when virtually nothing has been done to change up map design. We are still only using sandbags for cover ffs. It seems to be a soft reboot of the franchise and not an actual sequel. Ill probably get it when its under twenty dollars.

VC chronicles is so frustrating to me because I like the setting a lot. Fantasy WWI/II is neat. Unfortunately this game has abysmal writing, so far its worse than the first game. There is this weird tonal dissonance with the story wanting to be a gritty anti-war drama while also being a high school slice of life. Everyone acts like an anime high-schooler in the worst possible way during inappropriate times. At least VC1 had the excuse of being an improvised conscript army so the diverse age ranges and backgrounds made sense. We are part of an actual army in VC4. In this game we literally have commanding officers arguing like kids over petty bullshit in front of their subordinates in combat zones. Either play the story off as quirky anime highschool drama or treat the horrors of war seriously.

The way they mix in visual novel style story telling with cut-scenes makes everything feel stilted and only serves to highlight the wooden personalities of our main characters. New tank guy miraculously manages to be more boring than Welkin, Minerva is an incompetent sociopath, your buddy is a chauvinistic idiot, the emotionless female secretly really does care(rolls eyes) and Riley is borderline insane based on her behavior so far(unintentionally presented that way).

Dreiko:

Except that the rankings are your source for exp, which upgrades your units and gets you new orders: money, which upgrades your equipment; and being gifted advanced weapons.

If the "fun" way to play and the "correct" way are not the same, that's a fault of the game design, and it is both natural and proper to hope and even expect for it to be corrected.

SupahEwok:

Dreiko:

Except that the rankings are your source for exp, which upgrades your units and gets you new orders: money, which upgrades your equipment; and being gifted advanced weapons.

If the "fun" way to play and the "correct" way are not the same, that's a fault of the game design, and it is both natural and proper to hope and even expect for it to be corrected.

I don't remember that many details just that I never cared about the score to the point of just speeding through a level as was mentioned and that I had no issues with unlocking things. Maybe just playing normally while being good at the game but without min-maxing is sufficient and nets you enough of a score to allow for unlocks and upgrades and what have you.

Well I'm glad some people are excited over it. For me, the demo was the same borderline unbearable stuff that turned me off the first game. Hey, to each their own.

ChupathingyX:
I'm definitely looking forward considering it's the biggest release this year for me now that AC7 has been delayed to 2019. My only worry is that they're gonna try make it more like the first without taking any, or very few, of the good stuff from the sequels.

That's pretty much what it is, from the stuff I've seen.

Game came out today, I should have my LE delivered by tomorrow, can't wait~

Anyone who has the game, share stuff about it here.

PleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegood

The first game was one of my favorite games period for the PS3. I know a lot of people didn't gel well with the battle system but I really enjoyed the blend of having to think fast with a tactical setup. There is definitely room for improvement so I really hope that they can learn from their mistakes and give us the same kind of game but better.

Dreiko:
Game came out today, I should have my LE delivered by tomorrow, can't wait~

Anyone who has the game, share stuff about it here.

I've had my copy since Monday, thanks Shopto.net:) (Give them a try if you like free postage and getting your game early). So far I haven't played passed the levels that were in the demo, I could of carried on from where that left off, but I wanted to start from the beginning. So far, I'm really enjoying it and am looking to really getting stuck in at the weekend. My concerns that I wouldn't like the characters is disappearing, Raz has some great lines and my favourite troops are starting to make themselves known. My only disappointment so far is that the Squad 7 dlc so far is not actually a side mission and is just a standard skirmish map where you unlock the character at the end.

tippy2k2:
PleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegoodPleasebegood

The first game was one of my favorite games period for the PS3. I know a lot of people didn't gel well with the battle system but I really enjoyed the blend of having to think fast with a tactical setup. There is definitely room for improvement so I really hope that they can learn from their mistakes and give us the same kind of game but better.

Its good. If you liked the first game, then you will like this one. It is pretty much as you say, the same as the first game, but with small improvements. But that also means little annoyances like your tank getting stuck on scenery still remain too. Seeing as this is the sequel I've wanted for so long and thought would never happen after Valkyria Revolution *spits* I am willing to let this slide. For any sequel, I will like to see advancements in enemy AI and further tweaks in gameplay, but for now, I'm happy.

tippy2k2:

Got it, yesterday. It IS good. Doesn't seem to deviate from what was good at the very least.

So the forum is back yay. Loving the game to death so far. It feels so familiar and there's excellent chars all over the place. Lots of famous Japanese VAs too. Zoro's VA from One Piece is Raz and Aigis' from Persona 3 (also Shinobu from Bakemonogatari) is Kai for exaple.

I love this game. It was good up until The Siegval Line missions, the story was dragging a bit, but I was willing to let that slide. Then The Siegval Line happened and holy crap, this might just be my game of the year.

Catfood220:
I love this game. It was good up until The Siegval Line missions, the story was dragging a bit, but I was willing to let that slide. Then The Siegval Line happened and holy crap, this might just be my game of the year.

It starts in-media-res so it takes a while to make you care about the chars and has a slowish buildup but indeed when it gets going it really does. Sounds like my idea to not play the demo which only covers a couple of early missions was correct haha.

And yeah that siegval line battle was so epic. Things happening all around and new mechanics and this and that. I was getting As all around but it was my first D. Tons of fun too.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here