canceled MMO NetEase Blizzard new Warcraft mobile game reveal May 3 Activision Blizzard iOS Android

Mobile Warcraft MMO Reportedly Canceled at Blizzard & NetEase

To say that Activision Blizzard has entered a transitional period would be an understatement following its myriad scandals and its acquisition by Microsoft, and the challenges keep coming. Bloomberg reports that Blizzard and NetEase have canceled a mobile Warcraft MMO (codenamed “Neptune”) that was in development for three years, and NetEase has dissolved a team of more than 100 developers, many of whom were not transferred to other projects. The canceled mobile Warcraft MMO would have taken place in the same world as the venerated World of Warcraft but during a different time period.

Recommended Videos

Blizzard and NetEase reportedly could not agree on the terms that defined the project, and Bloomberg perceives the cancellation as a blow to Blizzard’s relations with the extremely lucrative Chinese market, since NetEase is the second largest video game corporation in the country behind Tencent. However, NetEase continues to be the Chinese distributor for World of Warcraft.

Meanwhile, Activision Blizzard is still invested in mobile gaming, which is part of the reason why Microsoft acquired it. Warcraft Arclight Rumble is notably available for preregistration as a mobile strategy game, and Diablo Immortal is providing a mobile Diablo experience that is apparently pretty solid if you can overlook the breadth of optional microtransactions.

Though it’s canceled now, would you have been curious to play a mobile Warcraft MMO?

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Related Content
Read Article Pokemon Sleep Confirms Entei as Next Legendary Pokemon Players Can Catch
Image of Entei in front of a fiery background, with the Pokemon Sleep logo in the corner
Read Article Critical Role Announces Candela Obscura Live Show & When Tickets Go on Sale
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.