Yuji Naka sued Square Enix lawsuit removed fired from Balan Wonderworld half year before game development finish Arzest Naoto Ohshima Noriyoshi Fujimoto project schedule

Yuji Naka Was Removed from Balan Wonderworld Prematurely & Sued Square Enix

Sonic the Hedgehog co-creator Yuji Naka has offered up some heavy revelations regarding the difficult and arguably failed development of Balan Wonderworld at Square Enix and Arzest. Specifically, Yuji Naka claims he was removed as director of Balan Wonderworld at Square Enix about half a year before the game’s launch, that Square Enix producer Noriyoshi Fujimoto controlled and was responsible for the game’s inadequate development schedule, that Square Enix and Arzest do not care about game quality, and that Naka could not speak on any of this until now because he had filed a lawsuit against Square Enix. Suffice to say, it’s a lot to absorb.

Recommended Videos

The ever reliable Cheesemeister on Twitter has helpfully translated Naka’s lengthy string of tweets on the matter. The statements go to some pretty unusual places. For instance, Naka was upset when a YouTuber’s arranged version of a song from Balan Wonderworld was promoted by Square Enix instead of the original song, which Naka believed devalued the work of the original composer who received no attention.

Additionally, Yuji Naka apparently had a falling out at some point with Naoto Ohshima, the head of Arzest and also Sonic the Hedgehog co-creator. Citing court documents, Naka claims Ohshima said to Fujimoto that “the relationship with Arzest was ruined due to comments (Naka) made wanting to improve the game in the face of Arzest submitting the game without fixing bugs.”

Yuji Naka has apologized for Balan Wonderworld being a disappointing final product, and he wishes the development team could have continued trying to fix and improve the game up to the very end of development, as he says occurred during the creation of Sonic the Hedgehog. Apparently, it was the fact that Square Enix refused to let Yuji Naka have any involvement in the last part of Balan‘s development that led to his lawsuit. However, Naka does not appear to have discussed the outcome of the lawsuit at all. We also have not received any official statement from Square Enix or Arzest on the matter. The full truth may stay ambiguous.

While there are a few fans and apologists, the popular consensus is that Balan Wonderworld is a mess. There had been speculation about who exactly was to blame, and today’s statements add a lot of new fuel to that fire. However, Naka has moved on regardless. He created a mobile game all on his own called SHOT2048 last December, and it’s pretty decent for a first try.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Related Content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Author
John Friscia
Former Managing Editor at The Escapist. I have been writing about video games since 2018 and editing writing on IT, project management, and video games for around a decade. I have an English degree, but Google was a more valuable learning resource. I taught English in South Korea for a year in 2018, and it was exponentially more fun than living in Pennsylvania. My major passions in life are SNES, Japanese RPGs, Berserk, and K-pop. I'm currently developing the game Boss Saga with my brother, which is guaranteed to change your life and you should buy it.