PlayStation VR2 headset design first look images PSVR 2 PSVR2 Sony

PlayStation VR2 Headset Design Unveiled in First-Look Images

Last month, PlayStation VR2 (PS VR2 or PSVR2) specs were revealed. Between tracking your eye movements, an internal camera, and a single-cord setup, the device certainly sounds a lot better than the cumbersome original. However, while we did get a look at the PSVR2 controller, we didn’t seen the actual design of the PlayStation VR2 headset. Until today.

Recommended Videos

Sony has unveiled first-look images of the PlayStation VR2 headset design on PlayStation.Blog:

As you can see, the PlayStation VR2 headset looks similar in design to the first one, with the main difference being the color and texture now matching the PlayStation 5 console. Also, the piece is shaped more like an orb, to better associate with the fancy new controller.

Other highlights include the following:

• Designed around comfort
  • Adjustable headband and scope
  • Dial for lens adjustment
  • Lighter model
  • Built-in motor
  • Vent to reduce the amount of fog from one’s breathing
  • Stereo headphone jack in the same spot as the original headset

Lead Designer for PSVR2 Headset Shares His Design Vision

Yujin Morisawa, senior art director at Sony Interactive Entertainment, had this to say about the upcoming product:

When I started to work on the design for the PlayStation VR2 headset, one of the areas I wanted to focus on first was the idea of creating a vent in the headset to let air out, similar to the vents on the PS5 console that allows airflow. Our engineers came up with this idea as a good way to allow ventilation and avoid having the lens fog up while players are immersed in their VR games. I worked on many design concepts to achieve this, and in the final design, you can see there is a little space in between the top and front surface of the scope that contains the integrated ventilation. I am really proud of how this turned out and the positive feedback I have gotten so far. I hope our PlayStation fans will also agree, and I can’t wait for them to try it out.

And to all the fans of the tiny PlayStation symbols that litter the PS5 console and controller, you’re in luck. The VR2 headset dons them, as well.

So far, I like the PlayStation VR2. The headset looks comfortable, the controller looks way more versatile than the Move one, and the single-cord setup is a godsend. Seriously, setting up the original PlayStation VR was a nightmare. Hopefully, we’ll hear details regarding a release date soon.

The Escapist is supported by our audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn a small affiliate commission. Learn more
related content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Related Content
Read Article All Patch Notes for Dragon’s Dogma 2 April 25 Patch
Dragons Dogma 2 Arisen
Read Article Pokemon GO Players Want Massive Spotlight Hour Change After Bugged Trubbish Shiny Rates
Trubbish, the garbage Pokemon, from the animated Pokemon series
Read Article Metaphor: ReFantazio Won’t Have Romance Like Persona
Sitting at dinner with friends in Metaphor: ReFantazio
Author
Arthur Damian
Arthur Damian has been covering the video game industry for over ten years, and joined The Escapist in 2022. He is a huge fan of platformers, indies, and fighting games, and strives to cover them for The Escapist every chance he gets. Arthur received his Bachelor’s Degree in English from Brooklyn College in 2009. He is also the Editor-in-Chief over at That VideoGame Blog. When he isn’t writing, Arthur enjoys playing games on his Switch and PlayStation 5, and sings the praises of the greatest video game ever, Chrono Trigger, to anyone who will listen.