Poll: How do you pronounce Terraria

Pages 1 2 NEXT

This has been gnawing at my mind for some time now.

I'm not very good at spelling out words phonetically, hopefully you will understand what I mean.

Yes, people do seriously pronouce it like the second option. I didn't know it until my friend tried to correct me one day.

Also, someone told me that Redigit pronounces it "air" in an interview.

Personally, I think it's the first, because it only has one "r" after the second "a". If it had two, then it would be pronounced the second way.

EDIT: My mind is made up. It is definitly Terrarium but with an a at the end http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terraria

Ter-AIR-ia is how I have always said it. Never heard it the other way.

^ Yeah I have no idea where op got the idea that people pronounce it differently.

Tear- Air- E- Ah

Tear as in, rip a piece of paper, not crying.

Teh-rar-ri-ah

But that may be a little aussie coming through.

Like a pirate.

My brother and I have been having this argument. He takes it completely seriously. I don't see how anyone could see it spelled any other way.

Terraria

Terr - arr - eee - uhh

Terraria

Where the hell do you get "air" from? There's no spelling to suggest that...

LawlessSquirrel:
Teh-rar-ri-ah

Nope. American in North Carolina here, I pronounce it the same way.

Honestly, I have no idea how to pronounce it, so I usually say it like Te-rair-arr-ar-ira. Yes, I know I'm lame. Most of the time I try to avoid saying it in general.

believer258:
Like a pirate.

My brother and I have been having this argument. He takes it completely seriously. I don't see how anyone could see it spelled any other way.

Terraria

Terr - arr - eee - uhh

Terraria

Where the hell do you get "air" from? There's no spelling to suggest that...

I get "terr - air - ee - uh" because the word looks like "terrarium", which is pronounced similarly.

I don't, but I will go with Terrarrria if I ever need to.

Ter-R-E-ah

Terr-aria

Starting out kinda like you'd say Terra, but cut off before the A and then keep going with ARIA as in how some people would say "air" (Presumably latin people, but i'm not sure)

EDIT: If you're wondering about the perhaps curious way of placing emphasis i'll justify it by being norwegian.

I pronounce it Terr-a-ria

-Terr like in "terror", a like in "ah?" and ria like in "malaria"

But then Spanish is my first language so I tend to go for the Latin-languages approach when reading this kind of stuff.
Slightly OT: videogame devs/publishers have a tendency for using names that sound cool in English but sometimes they sound mundane for those who speak romance-languages.

EDIT - Windexglow's version sounds the most accurate to me: Ter-R-E-ah

when you first look at it, you want to pronounce it with Air, cause it looks like Terrarium and it starts to feel more natural rolling off the tongue.

But when I start to say it, I want to say it more with the ARR sound, cause it just looks more... right (to me at least). and sounds more right.

though I've never played.

I'm pretty sure Terraria comes from the word "terrain" so ter-AIR-ia is how it should be pronounced

Ter-ARR-ria is how I've always pronounced it.

I mostly just devolve into a low growl with it.

Ter-rrr-ee-rrrrr

its just the word terrarium with an "a" on the end. You say it just like that.

TerrARRRia. That's the way I kept hearing it and that's the way I pronounce it.

As a Brazilian, I have to pronounce it "Te-HA-rya."

Sometimes I say 'Terr ee ree ah' or 'Terra ree ah', but I've heard it pronounced 'Terr RAH ree ah', or 'Terr ARR ia'.

If I'm not thinking about it, I'll say Terra Ree Ah. But I don't think that's right.

LawlessSquirrel:
Teh-rar-ri-ah

I'm Aussie too and that's how I pronounced it until I heard someone actually say it.

I thought it was just simply Te-RAWR-ia. :D I can't even imagine it being pronounced the first option in the poll. x3

I'll type how to say it right.

1. Ter (as in "terrain")
2. Rawr (easy to know if you're from the Internet)
3. ee-a (Don't know a word that has that)

Terraria.

48.1%
48.1%
3.8%
Where are the devs?

tear-air-ia was was the only possible way to say it in my mind until i heard my brother say tur-are-ia.

With my mouth, usually.

When in doubt, err on the side of piracy.

More like ARR on the side of piracy amirite?!

(no you aren't and you should be ashamed)

Scrimshaw13:

This. It still amazes me when people pronounce stuff wrong without actually thinking.

/ˌtɛr.'ɑr.iː.ʌ/ (I think I did my IPA right)

That is to say, "tair-ARE-ee-uh".

Jodah:

Scrimshaw13:

This. It still amazes me when people pronounce stuff wrong without actually thinking.

It's more than that; terraria is actually the proper plural form of "terrarium," or at least it would be if English followed Latin rules for Latin loan words. Because it doesn't, both Terraria and terrariums are considered proper. Anyway, I'm surprised more people don't know that terraria is actually a word.

... just like it's written Terra-ria because it stems from the word terra = latin for earth so it should be fairly obvious but then again there are people named after alcohol what does one really expect from people anymore

Owyn_Merrilin:

Jodah:

Scrimshaw13:

It's more than that; terraria is actually the proper plural form of "terrarium," or at least it would be if English followed Latin rules for Latin loan words. Because it doesn't, both Terraria and terrariums are considered proper. Anyway, I'm surprised more people don't know that terraria is actually a word.

I actually did know that its just that, as you said, most people don't know terraria is a word. (Hell, even my browser is yelling at me for typing it :P) Many more people know the word terrarium, and how to say it.

I could just be jaded about pronunciation though. Many of my friends and family ask me how to pronounce words on a daily basis. It gets annoying after awhile.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Jodah:

Scrimshaw13:

Oh, it's a real word? In that case...

Yep. Just checked Dictionary.com. Terr-Air-ee-uh.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Jodah:

Oh, it's a real word? In that case...

Yep. Just checked Dictionary.com. Terr-Air-ee-uh.

Thank you. You all saved me the trouble of pointing this out.

I'm really surprised at how close the poll is.

TER-RAWR-IA, Imma dinosaur.

"Teh-reh-ree-ah"

Like Terror crossed with aria... What is an aria? I don't know.

We need someone who made the game to tell us how it's pronounced. xD But for now I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked