How old does a game have to be to be considered "retro"?

My guess would be old enough for someone who is at least a teenager to be nostalgic about it. i say this because I've recently been seeing PS2 era games being called retro in some places which just blows my mind.

I guess it shows my age then that I consider retro to be anything that was made before 3D games became the in gimmick. (which they aren't now but when it was new 3D was as gimmicky as motion controls are now.)

Nintendo games or older for me. I guess SNES and Genesis too. Suppose that was a while back lol.

I'd say the 90s or earlier. I couldn't believe some of the comments people were making about Halo: CE when the anniversary remake was released last year.

Which leads me into my second definition - a retro game being one that holds to a style of graphics or gameplay that its genre as a whole has moved on from. That's part of why I can't consider Halo as a retro game since it plays more or less identically to current gen shooters, but say a modern FPS that played like Doom or Quake would be retro, or most 2D games.

2 console generations behind.
PS3-modern
PS2-old
PS1-retro

retro? if its on gog.com and not an indy game

Retro is before 1995 since that was when the games industry sold it's soul to the devil.

Kids these days and their "retro" gaming. Haha, how quaint.

HarryScull:
PS3-modern
PS2-old
PS1-retro

Yeah, I'd say this makes sense.

HarryScull:
PS3-modern
PS2-old
PS1-retro

Yeah I was gonna say this, two gens behind.

For me, I would say ten years. But that was before I saw HarryScull's post. Two console generations behind is better.

To me, Retro is anything NES or earlier.

And on a side-note, allow me to recommend a documentary movie called The King of Kong: A Fist Full Of Quarters.

It's about a guy and his quest to get the world record at the retro Donkey Kong arcade game. Really is a great movie in itself and it's pretty informative with regards to retro games in general.

retro is everything up to and including the introduction to 3D (as in true rendered 3D), in my opinion. so basically everything up to N64 and PS1 and early 3D computer games (quake, deus ex). i guess soon there will be retro 3D, but if you say a game is retro, it either means its actually from that period, or so heavily inspired that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference (mega man 9-10 is a great example).

everything else is retro-inspired. there are amazing newer 2D games, but i wouldn't call them retro necessarily. even some 3D games are retro inspired in some ways (demon's souls difficulty and design come to mind), but that doesn't make them retro.

Id say PS marks that line. PS2 and onward wouldn't be retro in my opinion.

Also apparently these games are old enough for Sony to call them "Classics"

10 years. Give or take. But 10 years is a pretty good rule of thumb.

For example, Baldur's Gate is a retro game now. KOTOR isn't, but it's getting closer every day.

I would say when a publisher ceases to release games for a certain console/handheld, it is considered old, and when a new console steps in to replace the previous console, it is considered retro i.e. PS1, Dreamcast, N64, Gameboy Advance, etc.

Pixel based graphics and midi based music.

That means retro, to me, means SNES/Genesis or earlier. Before the time the industry thought everything has to be 3D...

I'd personally say anything before 1990...NES games and earlier are what would be retro to me, as I've been playing console games since the Atari 2600 was popular.

To me it's more about how the game makes you feel rather than merely how old it is.

I would say 3 generations

PS3-360-WII current
PS2-XBOX-GC middle
PS-N64-DC old
SNES-GENESIS retro

Fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned.
It's subjective.

When I was playing Amiga as a kid, I would've considered Tetris, Pac-man, Ping Pong, etc. as retro. And I still would do that. But I never use that term so.

It has to be at least 2 console generations old before it can be considered "retro."
PS3/XBox360/Wii - current
PS2/Xbox/GC - old
PS/N64/DC and prior - retro

Retro gaming for me refers to the pre 3D era, when pixel art and 2d graphics was pretty much the only option for most companies.

Playstation games are considered retro now. PS2 games are in no way retro. Just think some early PS2 games of 2001, like Metal Gear Solid 2, Final Fantasy 10, Resident Evil Code Veronica, or Silent Hill 2. These games are over than 10 years old, yet they are still perfectly playable, and I think they have a long way before they can be called retro.

yeah Id go with the two gen rule as retro but 3 gen would be definite retro its all supjective of course some people seem to think playing a game released 2 years ago is retro and then start talking about it like it was released ages ago quite baffling.

HarryScull:
PS3-modern
PS2-old
PS1-retro

^ this

That I'm aware, it has everything to do with being 2D. 3D games aren't considered retro, 2D games are. I mean, does anyone actually call Metal Gear Solid a "retro game"? If so you've got a much more recent definition of retro than me.

Retro is 2D. Games with sprites and things.

I'd say from the 4th gen of gaming (SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, TurboGrafx-16, Windows 2) backwards. The 5th (PS1, N64, Sega Saturn, Atari Jaguar, Windows 95/98) will be retro by the fast coming 8th or distant 9th gens, by my math.
It's fuzzy.

^My math^

captcha: describe Tide with any word(s). ... surfing?

It all depends on who you ask honestly. Someone else said it starts with the 4th gen but once the Wii-U is out then the 5th can be considered Retro. That seems about right to me. Lear's Fool said it and I agree! There we go.

Any game made by Jeff Spangenberg and his comrades are Retro.

--

Technically though, Retro generally means 20 or so years old, give or take 5 years. Currently, 1992 is retro. The most recently retro game is Wolfenstein 3D released 5/5/92 - which is close enough.

Other new retro stuff is Kris Kross - bonus points if you remember them, they're the kids who wore their clothes on backwards.

As a whole though anything from the 90s can be considered retro, preferably though, the (better) first half.

I wouldn't know what to call something from the third generation, as they're still in fashion but can be up to 29 years old, at a stretch I guess they could be called retro. I also would not know what to call anything from the first and second generation, as they're not old enough to be antiquities for at least another 50 or so years.

Shoggoth2588:
It all depends on who you ask honestly. Someone else said it starts with the 4th gen but once the Wii-U is out then the 5th can be considered Retro. That seems about right to me. Lear's Fool said it and I agree! There we go.

It appears you're saying that the Wii-U will be the first eighth generation gaming device. This is incorrect. It's been stated that the 3DS was considered the first gaming device of this generation and the PSV was the second, hence we're in the eighth generation already; so by your definition the fifth generation has been retro for a while.

Rheinmetall:
"snip"

... These games are over than 10 years old, yet they are still perfectly playable, and I think they have a long way before they can be called retro.

Are you saying "retro" games are unplayable?

esperandote:
I would say 3 generations

PS3-360-WII current
PS2-XBOX-GC middle
PS-N64-DC old
SNES-GENESIS retro

Let's just fix these generation errors up for you. (Note: My OCD made me put it in release order - apologies for the pretentiousness)

7: 360-PS3-Wii
6: DC-PS2-GC-XBox
5: Saturn-PS1-N64
4: Genesis-SNES

Sixcess:

Which leads me into my second definition - a retro game being one that holds to a style of graphics or gameplay that its genre as a whole has moved on from. That's part of why I can't consider Halo as a retro game since it plays more or less identically to current gen shooters, but say a modern FPS that played like Doom or Quake would be retro, or most 2D games.

This works as well. I like this person.

Three generations behind seems to be what I'd consider retro.

if its ten years or more its retro, thats how i see it anyway, which would mean that yes halo is retro, so ha.

id say games with graphics that look nothing like what they're supposed to look like. like squiggly sprites supposed to represent people or early 3D graphics circa PsOne and everything before.

Anything from '94 and before. Anything after that, no matter how many years go by, are not retro.

Fappy:
Kids these days and their "retro" gaming. Haha, how quaint.

Hey! Some of us weren't brought up on your brick with stick attached gaming style generation.

OT: Anything that looks like a someone ate a bunch of lego then spewed it onto my TV is what I consider retro. Not that I would play such games because I was raised on pretty graphics and such.

I agree with 3 generations behind. Otherwise, I am worryingly old...
People can use words however they like, but I think its inappropriate that anyone who has been gaming for a decade for less even use the word 'retro' to refer to games they have played.

Next they'll be saying Halo is 'retro'!

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked