Nothing but visual novels and old school games from here on out.

This thread is exactly what the title is implying, I'm going to play nothing but old school video games and visual novels for....IDK, until I can afford a console or a new graphics card (my current one is from 2007, and crappy). So I need your help in finding some good visual novels or some old school games that a computer from 2007 can run. RPGs, FPS, anything that is fun and cost $0 to run (and don't get smart with me and say that it doesn't cost $0 to run since electric bills and shit).

TL;DR I'm cheap, and I need video games from the past that are fun, and visual novels.

Well....Seeing as how nobody is replying to this thread, I'll bump it myself. And give a collection of games I currently have: Fallout 1, Fallout 2, Minecraft, Oblivion, Halo, Katawa Shoujo (only visual novel I have) and Painkiller. I'm hoping to get some visual novels,(preferably with no "adult" content) and some old school RPGs. I'm looking for a Final Fantasy 1 download right now.

You much of a point n'click adventure aficionado?

If so, Beneath a Steel Sky is freeware on GOG.com; that's pretty good.

Dude, you waited for only like 20 minutes. Give it some more time, it may take around 5 minutes for the thread to even shows up - add in extra time until somebody actually clicks it and another 5 minutes or so to write the reply.

With that said, I haven't played any visual novels but Here are some other games you might enjoy:

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines Vampires - check. RPG - check. Can you run it - check. Go and play one amazing game. Came out in 2004, so you should be fine. Oldschool...well, I wouldn't call it one, but I've seen the term applied to it here on the Escapist - apparently because it's 8 years old it makes it one. But anyway, it's well worth to have a look at it. Do note that you need the Unofficial Patch to iron out a lot of bugs. The only really annoying thing is that it's expensive - $20 on Steam. I may praise the game, but that's a lot of money for it. If you wish, you can wait until Halloween - it's going to be on sale then for sure.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is on GOG and is an RPG and is old. And it's awesome. Made by the same guys who made Bloodlines. Also, they are partly responsible for Fallout - I'd say if you liked the first two games, you might be interested in Arcanum. You need another Unofficial patch for it, though, just giving you the heads-up.

And at this point, I can just say GOG. Just go to GOG and hit the RPGs - most are pretty good and they all would definitely run on your machine. Well, perhaps aside from the Witcher 2 maybe Witcher but everything else is fair game. If you're unsure, just check some of the GOGmixes [urhttp://www.gog.com/en/mix/gogs_rpgs_cream_of_the_crop_1]like[/url] these ones or others.

Another game I can recommend is Cthulhu Saves the World - it's on Steam and you can buy it in a bundle with Breath of Death VII for $1.50. An unfairly low price, if you ask me, but whatever.

TPS - Max Payne 1&2 + try to get a look a the mods and there are even some total conversions out.
FPS - Soldier of Fortune 1&2 - it`s from Raven do i need to say more?
What about FarCry and isn`t the first Crysis from 2007?
Try some LucasArts adventures.
Play Diablo 1&2.

Oh, Visual Novels! I know a few, like... oh wait, adult content. Then what about... ehm.. then maybe...

How about this then. Ctrl left is the speed skip button in every Visual Novel. Use it whenever you encounter a H-scene to skip trough it in a matter of seconds.

Then without further ado...

No adult scenes:

Steins;Gate: Sci-fi Thriller with lovable characters. The best thing ever.

Chaos;Head: Psychological Horror. Confusing as hell, disturbing six ways to Sunday. Love it. Main character takes some getting used to though.

Clannad:*Snivel*... Damn Onions... Beware though, this game is LONG.

With adult scenes

Saya no Uta: Psychological horror/Romance. Now this is some infinitely interesting, yet disturbing stuff. The soundtrack fits so well, 'tis a masterpiece. A sick masterpiece, but a masterpiece nonetheless.

Sharin no Kuni, Himawari no Shoujo: Comedy/Drama. I'll be damned if this isn't the funniest main character I've ever encountered in fiction: "I am ZehMadScientist, my goal in life is to manipulate people like tools." Has an interesting take on society as well.

A drug that makes you dream: Drama/Romance. Was playing this until my laptop died on me. I liked it as far as I got.

Fate/Stay Night: Action/Drama This one is a little hard to explain in a few words, but basically it's a battle royale for the Holy Grail. Pray that NeutralDrow shows up and elaborates on it.

Have fun ^^

DoPo:
Dude, you waited for only like 20 minutes. Give it some more time, it may take around 5 minutes for the thread to even shows up - add in extra time until somebody actually clicks it and another 5 minutes or so to write the reply.

Sorry I just get impatient sometimes, waiting for people to respond, habit of mine.

Pretty much anything on gog.com. Cheap as anything, old school awesomesauce.

Starcraft II also plays well with old hardware.

Are you into those old school 2d point and click adventure games? If so, check out sanitarium, for me that ones a classic.

EDIT: Look it up on gog.com. I forget if linking directly like that to it on a store is alllowed. So I'm gonna play it safe.

Don't worry, your not missing much, especially when it comes to RPGs.

Here's a RPG list for ya..

D&D Gold Box games, Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday & Forgotten Realms Unlimited Adventures-http://frua.rosedragon.org/modulelist/file.php
Wizard's Crown & The Eternal Dagger
Bards Tale series
Ultima series(especially 4-7) Don't forget about the Ultima V: Lazarus mod for Dungeon Seige
Wizardry series (6-8 you can run a party straight through
Realms of Arkania series
Darklands
Dark Heart of Uukrul
Disciples of Steel
D&D Dark Sun: Shattered Lands/ Darksun 2
Might & Magic series
Magic Candle games
Betrayal at Krondor
Bloodnet
Wasteland
Shadowrun games (Sega/SNES versions)
Fallout 1/2
Jagged Alliance 2 and the 1.13 mod (squad focused turnbased strategy game with rpg elements) GREAT combat
Mask of the Betrayer
Arcanum
Temple of Elemental Evil (need the Co8 modpack)
Knights of the Chalice
Vampire: Bloodlines (Wesp5 patch)
King of Dragon Pass
KotoR 2 (restored content mod)
Gothic 1&2
D&D Warriors of the Eternal Sun
Albion
Fate: Gates of Dawn
Amberstar & Ambermoon
Centauri Alliance
Hard Nova
Anachronox
Baldurs Gate 1 & 2
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale 1 & 2
Quest for Glory series
Knights of Legend
Escape from Hell

Here's some dungeon crawlers..

Dungeon Master 1&2/Chaos Strikes back - The remakes http://www.ragingmole.com/RTC/index.html
Lands of Lore series
Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2
Black Crypt
Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
Arx Fatalis
Knightmare
Captive 1 & 2
Abandoned Places 1 & 2
Bloodwych
Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession & Stone Prophet

DoPo:

With that said, I haven't played any visual novels but Here are some other games you might enjoy:

Vampire: the Masquerade - Bloodlines Vampires - check. RPG - check. Can you run it - check. Go and play one amazing game. Came out in 2004, so you should be fine. Oldschool...well, I wouldn't call it one, but I've seen the term applied to it here on the Escapist - apparently because it's 8 years old it makes it one. But anyway, it's well worth to have a look at it. Do note that you need the Unofficial Patch to iron out a lot of bugs. The only really annoying thing is that it's expensive - $20 on Steam. I may praise the game, but that's a lot of money for it. If you wish, you can wait until Halloween - it's going to be on sale then for sure.

Arcanum: of Steamworks and Magick Obscura is on GOG and is an RPG and is old. And it's awesome. Made by the same guys who made Bloodlines. Also, they are partly responsible for Fallout - I'd say if you liked the first two games, you might be interested in Arcanum. You need another Unofficial patch for it, though, just giving you the heads-up.

And at this point, I can just say GOG. Just go to GOG and hit the RPGs - most are pretty good and they all would definitely run on your machine. Well, perhaps aside from the Witcher 2 maybe Witcher but everything else is fair game. If you're unsure, just check some of the GOGmixes [urhttp://www.gog.com/en/mix/gogs_rpgs_cream_of_the_crop_1]like[/url] these ones or others.

Another game I can recommend is Cthulhu Saves the World - it's on Steam and you can buy it in a bundle with Breath of Death VII for $1.50. An unfairly low price, if you ask me, but whatever.

Also I must reiterate: $0 budget. I'm not the wielder of a credit card and sales don't really help unless it's free. It's not that I don't appreciate the input, but I seriously don't have any money to spend on games.

Ultima 4 is free on Good old games. I've heard that its pretty good.

novixz:
Also I must reiterate: $0 budget. I'm not the wielder of a credit card and sales don't really help unless it's free. It's not that I don't appreciate the input, but I seriously don't have any money to spend on games.

Oh, damn. Sorry about that, I missed that part. To make it up, here [url=]are[/url] [url=]three[/url] threads about free games. But to give out some recommedations:

Battle of Wesnoth is a turn based strategy but rather good one, I loved it.

The Elder Scrolls games - Arena and Daggerfall are free on Bethesda's website. Daggerfall is quite good, I recommend it.

Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain - while it aged somewhat poorly, you might still like the game. Or not, you don't have to. Whatever the case it's somewhat RPG-ish and found as PC abandonware for some bizarre reason. Whatever the reason is, you can get it free now, but it lacks the in-game cinematics, which you can find on YouTube.

Ultra Man30:
Ultima 4 is free on Good old games. I've heard that its pretty good.

Here's a retrospective on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKw4oRWqPoQ

If you don't cheat and look crap up, it should keep you busy for a long time too.

Play Myst. The whole series.

It's one of the most haunting, atmospheric and well written Point and click games ever.

I admire your noble quest...

Try Chrono Trigger. It's one of the best JRPGs out there, with its time travel plot and brilliant characters.

ZehMadScientist:

Have fun ^^

*brofist*

To add to this, Tsukihime. A fantasy set in the same universe as F/SN. It can be a heavy read but it kept me hooked for a while. :3

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked