The Walking Dead, absolutely the best game of 2012

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

So I've just finished the final chapter of The Walking Dead, and I'm just... speechless.

I played Journey this year, that game was my game of the year, that has been the one game that I've been talking up all year, the one game, that if you had to buy only one this year, Journey be it.

And now, not days away from the new year, The Walking Dead comes along and totally ousts Journey as my choice of GOTY for 2012.

It is absolutely fucking amazing.

If you have any interest in the storytelling aspect of video game, you need to buy the Walking Dead. The mechanics of the game aren't amazing, but this isn't something you buy to play, if anyone ever asks for an example of good video game writing, point to The Walking Dead, it is the best told story of any game I have ever had the pleasure of experiencing..

You don't play The Walking Dead.

You fucking live it for 10-12 hours.

Thoughts? Have you played it? Are on the fence?

I'm having so many feels right now.

It made me cry...

Definitely story of the year, but I still have a few games to finish before I am ready to declare it GoTY.

In any case it's probably the most emotionally driven game I have ever played and that's saying a lot.

Also, I'm from Georgia and they nailed the look and feel of Savannah. I recognized where I was in the city a couple times.

It's the only game that evoked more emotions when I was playing it rather than when trying to fix it.Fucking save system >.>. So yes, it's a great game. It doesn't quite beat Spec Ops: The Line for me because the latter has videogame cultural relevance and awareness. It deconstructs, criticize if you interpret it that way, one of the biggest trends right now, the ModernMilitaryShooter, and has awareness it is a videogame. The ending, specifically a line of dialogue, can only be pulled off in a video-game. Both are fantastic really because they use the medium to what only it can do, albeit in different ways.

Haven't checked it out yet, but seeing as how XBLive is giving away the first chapter for free today, it seems like the perfect time to start.

I have got to say, I've been hearing nothing but good things about the game. I am totally going to pick it up, i'm just waiting until Friday when the series goes on sale on xbox live before I pick it up.

As an aside, the game is free on xbox in the US today and maybe the rest of the week (the first episode).

I wouldn't give it GOTY simply because the actual game part of it is total rubbish, even some of the tedious stuff that other games have done before (like the QTE) Walking Dead some how manages to do them worse.

Where it is winning the praise is the story, the interactive nature of it does give you a say in events, however I have a feeling that some of the key parts of the story will play out to the same result no matter what options you select. No matter the interactive story part is where the game wins and I loved it, but GOTY no sorry it just doesn't have enough decent 'game' to make it GOTY.

I'm a little hesitant to buy it, mainly because I've had it royally spoiled for me by TV tropes.

If it had more genuine gameplay it might've been GOTY, but then maybe the reason I got so emotionally invested was because it lacked that game-y feel - The Walking Dead felt more like a highly interactive television series rather than an actual game. You're control was reduced in such a way that you could never break the pacing of the story or the tone of the game by screwing around or acting inappropriate. This worked well for the narrative and the character dynamic. But then this also meant your choices hardly mattered, and replayability is nonexistent. So it's kinda a double edged sword.

It has one of the greatest "farewell" endings I've ever seen, by the way. The last such similar ending that got me this blubbery was Return of the King.

Definately story of the year, regardless of media.

For me Journey is still Game of the Year though.

I don't really get emotionally attached to videogame characters, so honestly it didn't do much for me; it was a good story and a decent game, but I am not the type that's gonna get all teary eyed over the death of a cartoon character. I am more impressed with the setting and the overall atmosphere of a game's world, so Dishonored would be my GOTY. I also just happen to love stealth games so...

I've gotten teary eyed from movies and books (especially the Old Man and the Sea), but cartoons and videogames just have never really done it for me.

I 100% agree with you as you can see by my shiny badge! I hope no one gets offended by my laziness but here is what I wrote in the Escapist GotY voting thread:

The Walking Dead: Now I just finished it and I really want to call it GoTY...however, maybe it was just my luck but there was a LOT of technical issues I had with the game (and I bought the disc). Voices going up and down in volume, diagloge skipping like a scratched record once, and a few instances of insane in-game-slow-down. The game was amazing but I don't think I can GoTY this. Also, there was a lot of railroading for a game about choices (lots of shit that, while makes for a great story, feels cheap when you get a case of "cut-scene stupidity").

Edited later with this:
I've decided. I can't stop thinking about the ending to The Walking Dead. I don't believe I've ever had a game seriously stick with me for so long. Happiness for what I was able to do, sadness for what I failed to do, regret for what I've lost...any argument about it "not being a real game" is just silly. The Walking Dead gets my vote.

If you are even remotely considering picking this up for the 360, I would wait until December 28th. Rumor has it (with a shout out to Andy Shandy for letting me know) is that the game is going to be on sale in the New Year Sales. If it's true, buy it immediately on the 28th. If it's not true...buy it anyway because it is one of the best stories in a game, well, ever.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-13658-Microsoft-Prepping-for-Huge--Countdown-to-2013--Sale.html

2012 is a turning point for video games, the year games grew up and delivered things never seen before.

mass effect 3 created the sort of fan outrage thats usually only seen for something like the star wars prequels and was covered in serious media like forbes, while spec ops the line gave you the whole package of serious satire of the modern military genre, mixed with amazing narrative with gameplay that was designed to keep reminding you its a game, why are you playing this? do you like being a heros? do you get off on this?

then we come to the game of the year for a good chunk of the population and gaming sites, the walking dead. here you have a smaller developer and publisher who proved to all the huge AAA studios that you could do something different, not have complete blanket media coverage of the net and tv yet you can still have an amazing success with deep story and incredible characters with a genre of games that hasnt really bee popular with the mainstream for decades, the point and click adventure

Yes, I'd have to say that The Walking Dead is head and shoulders above anything else I've played this year. Hell, it's probably the best game I've played in the last half decade or so.
The story is compelling and has the emotional impact of getting hit in the chest with a freight train. I've never shed a tear at a game before and The Walking Dead managed to do it thirce. Hell, no movie I've ever seen has ever made me do that.

I can give it the story of the year but I can't possibly give it game of the year.

The story was fantastic and the characters were great ....... the gameplay was shockingly shit.

Honestly, doesn't seem like much of a game. It seems like it's in the same camp as Heavy Rain or Indigo Prophecy with even less controls.

Not saying that's a bad thing. It's an interactive movie, so I don't think it should be consider as a game.

=/

Played it, it was good, but not that great. Once they killed off or got rid of all the good characters by the end of Episode 4, the game was pretty much over for me. Episode 5 was weakest of them all. From the end of Episode 4, the ending was already obvious. The whole episode was pretty much just closure.

You love to exaggerate, don't you? It's good in the sense that it's got good story and characters but hardly "the best". It's hardly even a game at all.

"Overrated game is overrated" > My opinion of course.

Reason: Too much focus on story, little to none in GAMEplay. In a videoGAME. G A M E.

This equals to BOREDOOM > I lose all interest in game > UNINSTALL.

I dont know why but I didnt felt like repeating myself AGAIN, I have already mentioned why I dont find this game appealing at all in a couple of other threads.

Far, far, far, FAR from "Absolutly best game of 2012". Not sure what game deserves that title, but for gods sake I personally really really hope TWD is not that one game. IMO its almost an insult, considerating an interactive movie is now apparently a videogame, that kind of defeats the whole thing. But then again, opinions.

I watched a LP of Walking Dead. No desire to play it myself now. I watched a LP of Farcry 3 as well but i'm still playing that myself.

Walking Dead loses.

I would agree to name it GOTY. I don't understand why people can say "not really a game." It's not exactly the first point-and-click adventure in existence, the gameplay has done before.

Um... dude. Spec Ops: The Line. I mean, I know it didn't do that well, but are people really that ignorant of it? The Walking Dead is a freaking masterpiece, make no mistake, but to me Spec Ops isn't just Game Of The Year, it's Game Of The Generation.

The game is actually really damn good. The thing is, there are just better games even made by Tale Tell. If The Walking Dead made me kind of made me want to rest my head against my desk and kind of ponder for a while, the Sam and Max series that came out in 2010 called The Devil's Playhouse made me want to breakdown and cry for weeks on end....If you beat the game, you know what I'm talking about.

As a point and click adventure game, it was also pretty weak in that area, though, I guess that's more of a personal thing for me. I don't think it would have gotten as much attention as it has if they had put challenging puzzles.

I 'unno, I have mixed feelings about the game. It's actually pretty great story wise....and that's about as much praise as the game deserves.

To be honest, this has been a REALLY shitty year for video games with most of the star games being indie games. Save for one actually great game with something to say(Spec Ops: The Line) the rest of the games have been really non-existent.

So, is it cruel for me to say that it looks like The Walking Dead received this much attention by default? 'Coz, that's exactly what I think happened.

It's still a pretty damn good game though.

I am a console gamer, living in Australia.

It is literally impossible for me to ever play The Walking Dead.

I don't understand The Walking Dead because it's not a freaking game lol! It's just a choose your own adventure book. There's little to no gameplay whatsoever.

The Walking Dead is a good visual novel, not a game though.

I'm fucking done with it.

I switched computers and thought since The Walking Dead used Steam Cloud, it'd actually fucking use it. But noooooo.

My game which finished at Chapter 4's ending with everyone that was possible to be alive still alive and promising to help me, is gone. Steam fucking ate it. It did not download from the cloud, it's not on there, it's gone.

I don't want to play through all of it again just to get to where I was. If it was the greatest game of 2012, I think I'd want to play it again. But I don't. It's not fun once you know the story. So no, it's not the best, and I don't know if I'll ever see the end of it any time soon.

I've played Journey, The Walking Dead, and Spec Ops: The Line, and while those were certainly excellent experiences, I've gotta give my GotY of 2012 to... Hotline Miami.

Everything about that game is perfect, even its flaws are awesome.

Jove:
I don't understand The Walking Dead because it's not a freaking game lol! It's just a choose your own adventure book. There's little to no gameplay whatsoever.

This argument I still don't understand. The gameplay is not "BAD," it's minimal, and even then, that's hardly a reason to write it off.

A video game is a electronic piece of entertainment that you interact with. Is that what The Walking Dead is?
Yes?
Well, I guess it's a game then.

trty00:

Jove:

This argument I still don't understand. The gameplay is not "BAD," it's minimal, and even then, that's hardly a reason to write it off.

A video game is a electronic piece of entertainment that you interact with. Is that what The Walking Dead is?
Yes?

Agreed, some people seem to think permanent control and constantly mashing buttons makes a game a game. I would argue the Metal Gear games are interactive movies, if I wasn't of my current opinion.

See, the game play in this, is the choices you make, not so much the running and quick time events, they are part of it too. But the making decisions, that is the core mechanic, boring to some, but is is a type of game play.

I just played through the Walking Dead this week. I will say that I loved it. I also loved Heavy Rain. The other thing I will say is that my wife loved watching me play it so much that she was encouraging me to play the next chapter, and asking me to wait for her to be available before I played it. She's never, ever done that with any game I've ever played.

Take those two points as you will towards me naming it in my top 3 GOTY, despite the fact that I might agree with a number of people that it may be closer to a visual novel, but its still interactive media, where the choices you make and actions you perform can lead to changes in the story, or the ending of the story, I still consider that a game. (run on sentence runs on, and on, and on.)

Walking Dead is my GotY because it pulls off what it is attempting without messing up at a crucial juncture (though it damn well nearly does that with the save game problems). That its strength lies in the narrative not in how fun it is to blast zombies does not disqualify it in my book.

Spec ops fails for me because...

trty00:

Jove:

Yes?

You also interact in a choose your own adventure book too lol.

I never said the gameplay was "bad", I said their is hardly if any gameplay at all. Big difference.

Also your definition of a video game is wrong. "A game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or display."

I just find it funny that numerous gamers have this huge fit over cut-scenes in video games, yet when a game like The Walking Dead is GOTY when THE ENTIRE GAME IS CUT-SCENES, people praise the living hell out of it.

Hypocrisy ladies and gentleman!

Silly goose, you sure spelled Persona 4 Golden wrong, very wrong indeed!

Also, not sure about this myself, but my friend finished it and says there is little to no replay value, is that true (about the Walking Dead)

Just wrapping up season 2, and so far I am loving it. As it has been said thousands of times before and will be said thousands of times in the future, the story and characters are amazing. Need to go off and start going through season 3 now, oh the joy of it all.

Rack:
Walking Dead is my GotY because it pulls off what it is attempting without messing up at a crucial juncture (though it damn well nearly does that with the save game problems). That its strength lies in the narrative not in how fun it is to blast zombies does not disqualify it in my book.

Spec ops fails for me because...

I suppose they thought it would work better if the gameplay was boring and tiring on the player, numbing them out. I would have preferred it to be fun though, like you, because it would have hit the message home even harder.

Jove:

trty00:

Jove:

Yes?

You also interact in a choose your own adventure book too lol.

I never said the gameplay was "bad", I said their is hardly if any gameplay at all. Big difference.

Also your definition of a video game is wrong. "A game played by electronically manipulating images produced by a computer program on a television screen or display."

I just find it funny that numerous gamers have this huge fit over cut-scenes in video games, yet when a game like The Walking Dead is GOTY when THE ENTIRE GAME IS CUT-SCENES, people praise the living hell out of it.

Hypocrisy ladies and gentleman!

Well, I don't mind cutscenes in video games so it's no hypocrisy on my part, if that even is hypocritical in the first place...

And, forgive me, but I have to go full "artsy-fartsy" mode right now in order to say this, video games are an art form. As such, there is no set way to tell a story within them. You could be like Journey, using only visuals to tell a story, or you could be like Gears of War, using much more traditional storytelling methods.

I also like how your definition of a video game looks like it's ripped straight from a dictionary. ORIGINAL THINKING HO!

Walking dead is certainly a great experience and its worth it to buy just for that alone. However I dont feel it should be classified as a game because really there arent many interactive parts in it and the story essentially unfolds the same way each time. No matter what choice you make in a given situation it really only has short term reprecussions and you hit the same cliff notes over the course of the story.

That said, its also really only good for a single playthrough (maybe two if you didnt realize the story is the same no matter what you do). Its cerntainly not my personal game of the year, that goes to FTL (if it werent for FTL, makr of the ninja, and journey I would agree with GOTY), but it is still a great experience that you can only live. Much like Indigo prophecy which at one time was another one of my personal game of the year choices

To be fair that final scene is a winner though. I dont feel emotion in games often but that one really made me sad which is a feat I havnt experienced since I inadvertantly caused Seigmeyer of Catarina to hollow

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked