Is the Dreamcast 2 real?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqyEhVwl2MI I don't know to believe this or not...what do you guys think, real or a marking thing thing to get sega more attention?

Sadly no, it isn't. T^T
SEGA has said in the past numerous times that they are no longer manufacturing consoles anymore, so the original Dreamcast is when the dream died.
*hugs Dreamcast*
You were ahead of your time my dear, ahead of your time. *single tear goes down face*

Looks like something a fan made for fun. I mean that is clearly an Xbox controller with a Sega logo slapped on.

Neronium:
Sadly no, it isn't. T^T
SEGA has said in the past numerous times that they are no longer manufacturing consoles anymore, so the original Dreamcast is when the dream died.
*hugs Dreamcast*
You were ahead of your time my dear, ahead of your time. *single tear goes down face*

You never know. Sega could get back into that dog fight.

Why they would though... especially when things are as turbulent as they are....

SaneAmongInsane:

Why they would though... especially when things are as turbulent as they are....

SEGA's actually been doing pretty good lately, especially thier holdings company. Plus if anything the Original Xbox was the brainchild of Microsoft and SEGA because the two worked together and SEGA assisted Microsoft in designing the console and how to get certain things running on it. In fact at one point it was gonna be possible that the original Dreamcast discs were gonna be playable on the Original Xbox, but Microsoft rejected the idea. Hell it's why when you look at the distribution of some games you'll notice that there were more ports and sequels to the the games that were on the Dreamcast on the Original Xbox.

Neronium:

SaneAmongInsane:

SEGA's actually been doing pretty good lately, especially thier holdings company. Plus if anything the Original Xbox was the brainchild of Microsoft and SEGA because the two worked together and SEGA assisted Microsoft in designing the console and how to get certain things running on it. In fact at one point it was gonna be possible that the original Dreamcast discs were gonna be playable on the Original Xbox, but Microsoft rejected the idea. Hell it's why when you look at the distribution of some games you'll notice that there were more ports and sequels to the the games that were on the Dreamcast on the Original Xbox.

i suppose all we can do is speculate. Sega recently Acquire ATLUS so that's another pie they have their fingers in, and being a long time ATLUS fan i'm generally ok with this so long as they don't do anything stupid and (apart from sonic) sega are generally sensible.

who knows, though. maybe in the far flung future, when they feel the time is right Sega will have another crack at the hardware market.

Generalissimo:

i suppose all we can do is speculate. Sega recently Acquire ATLUS so that's another pie they have their fingers in, and being a long time ATLUS fan i'm generally ok with this so long as they don't do anything stupid and (apart from sonic) sega are generally sensible.

who knows, though. maybe in the far flung future, when they feel the time is right Sega will have another crack at the hardware market.

Just so you know, SEGA didn't aquire Atlus, it was SEGA Sammy, their holdings company. As a result Atlus is still it's own studio with it's own CEO. If SEGA had bought them then the studio would have been merged with SEGA itself. When SEGA Sammy bought it, they kept most if not all the employees because SEGA Sammy bought all of Index Holdings itself, so the only thing that changes for Atlus is the name of their holdings company goes from Index to SEGA Sammy.

Since the holdings company owns it, SEGA's CEO can't just barge into Atlus' office and tell them what to do, since SEGA's CEO has no control over what Atlus does. Now they can work together or ask help from one another if they want, but they can't outright force them to do something. Hell SEGA told them that if they wanted to use some of their older IP they can, but they don't have to do it if they don't want to. I've noticed a lot that people think that it was SEGA that bought Atlus, and that is entirely false.

Neronium:

Generalissimo:

Just so you know, SEGA didn't aquire Atlus, it was SEGA Sammy, their holdings company. As a result Atlus is still it's own studio with it's own CEO. If SEGA had bought them then the studio would have been merged with SEGA itself. When SEGA Sammy bought it, they kept most if not all the employees because SEGA Sammy bought all of Index Holdings itself, so the only thing that changes for Atlus is the name of their holdings company goes from Index to SEGA Sammy.

Since the holdings company owns it, SEGA's CEO can't just barge into Atlus' office and tell them what to do, since SEGA's CEO has no control over what Atlus does. Now they can work together or ask help from one another if they want, but they can't outright force them to do something. Hell SEGA told them that if they wanted to use some of their older IP they can, but they don't have to do it if they don't want to. I've noticed a lot that people think that it was SEGA that bought Atlus, and that is entirely false.

ah. well, thanks for clearing that up. but what would you say are the chances that sega will throw their hat in the hardware ring in the future, be it near or far.

Generalissimo:

ah. well, thanks for clearing that up. but what would you say are the chances that sega will throw their hat in the hardware ring in the future, be it near or far.

No problem. As for SEGA reentering the race, if they ever do attempt to it would probably only be if they are being extremely successful. I mean the company has been completely retailored to be only a software company. They no longer have access to any of their old hardware suppliers and getting new ones would be a pain and really expensive. Most of the stuff that was in the original Dreamcast was incorporated into the Original Xbox so SEGA wouldn't have anything to stand on in the gen really, and with most of their IPs having contracts with other companies or being completely sold off you can see why SEGA wouldn't want to reenter the race since they are profitable now.

That being said, out of all AAA publishers they are the only ones with about as much money as Nintendo right now, and SEGA Sammy currently has $4.3 billion in reserves so SEGA can reenter, but they just mainly don't wanna take a risk and go under like how they almost did in the past.

Neronium:

SaneAmongInsane:

That may be, but I mean the console climate it self... I still feel theres a whole mess of people (my self included) that look at the next generation of consoles and just shaking their heads. Why do we need to upgrade when we are just scratching the potential of the 360/PS3?

They could do it though, maybe if they scratched having a whole OS for the thing and just made a pure old school game machine. I think theres a market for that. I don't need nor want internet explorer or Netflix on my game machine.

SaneAmongInsane:

They could do it though, maybe if they scratched having a whole OS for the thing and just made a pure old school game machine. I think theres a market for that. I don't need nor want internet explorer or Netflix on my game machine.

Thing is though, in this day and age people expect to have more things in their gaming devices than just games. Look at the shit Sony got because you could no longer play music from your iPod in the PS4. People say that they just want gaming in their gaming machines, but that actually hasn't existed since the cartridge days, as all gaming machines have more peripherals in them now because people still demand them, and it's actually quite a lot of people. What killed SEGA's market in Japan was the fact that the Dreamcast didn't play DVDs, so they lost that market completely.

As for the upgrade from 360/PS3 to PS4/Xbox One I can give a reason for the PS4, and that's because do you honestly want developers to still use the Cell Architecture for gaming? It was a massive flop and is too difficult to develop for, and hell it's the reason why no PS3 emulators exist, because emulating that stuff is a pain in the ass and too difficult to work around. Really the new consoles, all of them, have been made to tailor more towards developers which pretty much consoles need in order for them to make games on the systems. You do realize that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both over 7 years old and are very outdated in things, so an upgrade was eventually gonna be necessary. People always question, "why should I upgrade from my current console when there's nothing on the new ones" and I say, you don't need to upgrade yet, but there eventually will be stuff on the newer consoles. In order to survive a new console eventually does need to be made, because if that weren't the case then the SEGA CD and 32X for all intent purpose would have kept the Genesis (Megadrive elsewhere) alive longer. Technology advances, and if you were to ignore that then you will get left in the dust.

While yes, the new consoles have things you might not want or need, but you'd be surprised how many actually do use those features in the end. It's easy for many people to think that gamers all share a somewhat similar opinion, but the thing is no gamers share the exact opinion which is why when compared to other groups gamers can't always band together to be against something.

I don't think another dreamcast is really the issue here. I think people just want the games from the dreamcast, not the actual console.

So, just go out and see if you can find those old devs and see if you can convince them to make another game.

Because that's what you really want. Innovative and/or just plain fun games.

I'm friends with the guy who made battletanx on facebook. It's not impossible to find devs you really like and even make friends with them.

Sadly there won't ever be another SEGA console, that said pre Kinect MS pretty much cloned themselves off SEGA so it wasn't as if SEGA fully went away with the death of the DC.

Racecarlock:
I don't think another dreamcast is really the issue here. I think people just want the games from the dreamcast, not the actual console.

That's probably the reason for it. When you think about it, while many Dreamcast games ended up getting ported to other systems, there were many that either were never ported or were ported later on in time. For example, Skies of Arcadia came out in 2000, but wasn't ported to the GameCube until 2003. Then you've got Jet Set Radio (Jet Grind Radio in the US), in which there was a completely different game on the original Xbox, but the actual Jet Set Radio wasn't ported over until 2012. Shenmue 1 is also in this state in that it's never been ported to any console since the Dreamcast died. Shenmue II was ported to the Xbox, but was only released in Japan and North America, while the Dreamcast Shenmue II was only released in Japan and Europe.

If there's one thing the Dreamcast had, it was a large variety of really good games, but sadly those games weren't enough to save the system, no matter how good the first and second party SEGA games were.

Racecarlock:

So, just go out and see if you can find those old devs and see if you can convince them to make another game.

I'm friends with the guy who made battletanx on facebook. It's not impossible to find devs you really like and even make friends with them.

I would take an actual Dreamcast as long as it follows in the originals steps by being the closest thing you can get to the arcade experience in fighting games. Fighting games today are good and all, but they carry lag and to not get the lag you want what's closest to the arcade. Back in the DC/PS/XBOX/GC days, the Dreamcast practically was the arcade version in every one of its games. I'd gladly take a second Dreamcast if it meant more of that.

Kheapathic:

Racecarlock:

I would take an actual Dreamcast as long as it follows in the originals steps by being the closest thing you can get to the arcade experience in fighting games. Fighting games today are good and all, but they carry lag and to not get the lag you want what's closest to the arcade. Back in the DC/PS/XBOX/GC days, the Dreamcast practically was the arcade version in every one of its games. I'd gladly take a second Dreamcast if it meant more of that.

You just want good fighting games. That's fine. Get an arcade style third party game pad, get mugen, and have a blast.

Mugen is a fighting game where you can control every aspect. You decide what the UI looks like, what characters are on the select sceen, what stages there are, the music and backgrounds for those stages, what the life bars look like, and so on. It's nuts.

But again, I don't think a new dreamcast console is necessary to make good arcade style games. Have you tried afterburner climax or bubble bobble neo or burger time world tour? Those are all pretty good.

Neronium:

SaneAmongInsane:

Thing is though, in this day and age people expect to have more things in their gaming devices than just games. Look at the shit Sony got because you could no longer play music from your iPod in the PS4. People say that they just want gaming in their gaming machines, but that actually hasn't existed since the cartridge days, as all gaming machines have more peripherals in them now because people still demand them, and it's actually quite a lot of people. What killed SEGA's market in Japan was the fact that the Dreamcast didn't play DVDs, so they lost that market completely.

As for the upgrade from 360/PS3 to PS4/Xbox One I can give a reason for the PS4, and that's because do you honestly want developers to still use the Cell Architecture for gaming? It was a massive flop and is too difficult to develop for, and hell it's the reason why no PS3 emulators exist, because emulating that stuff is a pain in the ass and too difficult to work around. Really the new consoles, all of them, have been made to tailor more towards developers which pretty much consoles need in order for them to make games on the systems. You do realize that the PS3 and Xbox 360 are both over 7 years old and are very outdated in things, so an upgrade was eventually gonna be necessary. People always question, "why should I upgrade from my current console when there's nothing on the new ones" and I say, you don't need to upgrade yet, but there eventually will be stuff on the newer consoles. In order to survive a new console eventually does need to be made, because if that weren't the case then the SEGA CD and 32X for all intent purpose would have kept the Genesis (Megadrive elsewhere) alive longer. Technology advances, and if you were to ignore that then you will get left in the dust.

While yes, the new consoles have things you might not want or need, but you'd be surprised how many actually do use those features in the end. It's easy for many people to think that gamers all share a somewhat similar opinion, but the thing is no gamers share the exact opinion which is why when compared to other groups gamers can't always band together to be against something.

But I think there is a market for people that don't want all that crap, they just want to be able to play games, and if someone can deliver a PS4/Xbone system with out the bells and whistles for half the price people will buy it.

What is something on the PS4/Xbone that could've only existed on those platforms that couldn't of been replicated on last generation hardware? All I see when I look at the new generation is "Ohhhh it's pretty! Ohhhh you can watch TV on it!!!"

I mean Metal Gear: Revengeance gave us slicing/dicing action in any direction, I never dreamed that would be possible and they found a way.

Racecarlock:

Kheapathic:

Racecarlock:

You just want good fighting games. That's fine. Get an arcade style third party game pad, get mugen, and have a blast.

Mugen is a fighting game where you can control every aspect. You decide what the UI looks like, what characters are on the select sceen, what stages there are, the music and backgrounds for those stages, what the life bars look like, and so on. It's nuts.

But again, I don't think a new dreamcast console is necessary to make good arcade style games. Have you tried afterburner climax or bubble bobble neo or burger time world tour? Those are all pretty good.

I don't just want good fighting games, I want them on a machine that runs on an identical scale to its arcade cabinet. The Dreamcast may not have been necessary, but it ran them much better than the other options at the time. I'm not asking for specific arcade games either, I'm just asking for the box to run them as good as the arcade cabinet did. That's the Dreamcast's appeal to me. Mugen is fun for a bit, but a joke otherwise.

SaneAmongInsane:

But I think there is a market for people that don't want all that crap, they just want to be able to play games, and if someone can deliver a PS4/Xbone system with out the bells and whistles for half the price people will buy it.

There was at one point, and that's what the GameCube and Dreamcast tried to get, but look at how well it turned out for those two. That market is long gone in all honesty, because look at this way, you make a console that can one, keep up with the current tech to get 3rd parties, and two will it actually sell? People will always say "I would totally buy that", but saying and actually doing are two completely different things. It's especially the case with games like Metroid and F-Zero, which have a much larger vocal fanbase than those who will actually go out and buy it. Basically the old saying goes "you put your money where your mouth is" and if anything is true it's that you can't just assume people will buy something because it's got features removed that you don't like, but others did. You really can't keep up with current technical specs and then have it be sold for cheaper unless you take a huge hit with production costs. In actuality the Netflix, Hulu, and other media parts in the console are often the cheapest parts of it, which is why they are added in. I'm not saying that I like having those in, but I don't use them. However, I'm not going to call for consoles to strictly be about just games because there are actually many people who do in fact use those little extras that they have in the machine itself.

PS1, could play music CDs since it's launch, PS2 popularized DVDs in Japan for how cheap they were, heck even the GameCube eventually released a model that could play DVDs and it was made by Panasonic (the Panasonic Q, quite the collector's item today actually). In reality, while many don't like the added social features like internet or Hulu/Netflix on their systems, there are many more that completely outnumber those who actually use those features on their system.

As for the PS4 and Xbox One, streaming from the system has never been possible and can't simply be added into the system. I know because I stream and you either needed a) a capture card to do console games or b) Xsplit or and other streaming service. Pretty much both console have built in capture devices now, which is a convenience for some. While no, I don't agree with many of the things new consoles are currently doing, they eventually did need to be updated because you can't maintain an industry on antiquated technology. The original cause of the 83 crash was not only because the market was over-saturated with terrible games, but because the technology hadn't advanced and let for something new to be created. As time goes on though, things catch up and you'll see less of the "amazing" jumps as we saw as children because their isn't much more that you can do.

Plus if anything, I find ironic that we're talking about this in a Dreamcast thread because it was SEGA that made most of the current gen stuff possible. Dreamcast had a built in modem, online capabilities, started the whole DLC thing in the first place, and had it's own internet browser.

Neronium:

SaneAmongInsane:

There was at one point, and that's what the GameCube and Dreamcast tried to get, but look at how well it turned out for those two. That market is long gone in all honesty, because look at this way, you make a console that can one, keep up with the current tech to get 3rd parties, and two will it actually sell? People will always say "I would totally buy that", but saying and actually doing are two completely different things. It's especially the case with games like Metroid and F-Zero, which have a much larger vocal fanbase than those who will actually go out and buy it. Basically the old saying goes "you put your money where your mouth is" and if anything is true it's that you can't just assume people will buy something because it's got features removed that you don't like, but others did. You really can't keep up with current technical specs and then have it be sold for cheaper unless you take a huge hit with production costs. In actuality the Netflix, Hulu, and other media parts in the console are often the cheapest parts of it, which is why they are added in. I'm not saying that I like having those in, but I don't use them. However, I'm not going to call for consoles to strictly be about just games because there are actually many people who do in fact use those little extras that they have in the machine itself.

PS1, could play music CDs since it's launch, PS2 popularized DVDs in Japan for how cheap they were, heck even the GameCube eventually released a model that could play DVDs and it was made by Panasonic (the Panasonic Q, quite the collector's item today actually). In reality, while many don't like the added social features like internet or Hulu/Netflix on their systems, there are many more that completely outnumber those who actually use those features on their system.

As for the PS4 and Xbox One, streaming from the system has never been possible and can't simply be added into the system. I know because I stream and you either needed a) a capture card to do console games or b) Xsplit or and other streaming service. Pretty much both console have built in capture devices now, which is a convenience for some. While no, I don't agree with many of the things new consoles are currently doing, they eventually did need to be updated because you can't maintain an industry on antiquated technology. The original cause of the 83 crash was not only because the market was over-saturated with terrible games, but because the technology hadn't advanced and let for something new to be created. As time goes on though, things catch up and you'll see less of the "amazing" jumps as we saw as children because their isn't much more that you can do.

Plus if anything, I find ironic that we're talking about this in a Dreamcast thread because it was SEGA that made most of the current gen stuff possible. Dreamcast had a built in modem, online capabilities, started the whole DLC thing in the first place, and had it's own internet browser.

I think theres a huge difference dude.

PS2 gave the world a functioning DVD player at a time when people were going to drop the cash on one to replace their VHS players. But that's very different then "Oh you can watch TV through your Xbox" or netflix, or internet. I already have like 3 other devices I can do that on, so the system is offering me anything new I don't already have. and Gamecube failed because it couldn't get an 3rd party support, because it choose a dumb format for it's games.

Heck, if I thought for a second that Nintendo was going to get any 3rd party support on the Wii U I'd be picking that thing up, buts it's a completely different beast then the other two, but the only one with a feature I'd actually use (the ability to play games away from the TV)

Hell, I just went out and bought a Nintendo 2DS. I don't have a need for a flip top design or 3D that I was never going to use.

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked