Sony has released a list of the top selling "indie" PSN games of 2011 and there's a few nice surprises on the list.
It's that time of year again, readers. The end of it, to be precise. A wonderful time when we can look back on 365 (almost) days of creativity and innovation, then ignore those qualities entirely and instead make our chosen games fight it out in the traditional which-one-sold-more-Thunderdome.
First up; we have the top ten third-party games of 2011 in terms of PSN sales:
- 1: Limbo (Playdead)
- 2: Castle Crashers (The Behemoth)
- 3: TestYourself Psychology (Creat Studios)
- 4: Marvel Pinball (Zen Studios)
- 5: Worms 2 Armageddon (Team 17)
- 6: Dungeon Defenders (Trendy Entertainment)
- 7: Armageddon Riders (Targem Games)
- 8: Braid (Number None Inc.)
- 9: UnderSiege (Seed Studios)
- 10: Hamsterball (TikGames)
Limbo was the third-highest selling game XBLA in 2010 and seems to have repeated that success in 2011 after its release on PSN, despite complaints that it offered little content for a relatively high price. It's also nice to see Trendy's Dungeon Defenders, which is far more entertaining than its title implies, make the list as well.
There's also a list of best-selling first-party games, those published by Sony itself:
- 1: PixelJunk Shooter 2 (Q-Games)
- 2: Fat Princess (Titan Studios)
- 3: Flower (thatgamecompany)
- 4: Aquatopia (Playlogic Entertainment)
- 5: Hustle Kings (VooFoo Sudios)
- 6: Eat Them! (FluffyLogic)
- 7: Top Darts (Devil's Details)
- 8: Super Stardust HD (Housemarque)
- 9: Linger in Shadows (Plastic)
- 10: Rag Doll Kung Fu (Qi Studios)
Overall, Limbo was the third-highest selling PSN game of the year, coming just after Titan Studio's bizarrely controversial Fat Princess.
Source: Sony Blog