Rockstar are offering eight Twitter fans the chance to have their face "immortalized" in Max Payne 3's multiplayer avatars.
As far as marketing ploys for Twitter tags go, this one's pretty neat: Between now and 13 January 2012, Rockstar are offering eight friendly Twitterers the chance to have their faces used as the basic models for characters in Max Payne 3's multiplayer mode.
According to Rockstar's website, things will go down thusly:
1) Starting today, December 16th, 2011 - and continuing until January 13th, 2012, Rockstar will be selecting people at random that we've spotted using the hashtag #maxpayne3.
2) Each week during that period, 10 people will be contacted to submit us pictures for consideration to be in the game.
3) If you're one of that week's 10 selections, we will contact you and ask you to email us a picture of yourself.
4) We will then pick 2 fans per week who will have their likeness appear as a multiplayer gang character in Max Payne 3.
5) In total, 8 fans will be selected to have their likeness appear as a multiplayer character in Max Payne 3.
I'd be more reassured by this if the word "likeness" wasn't so prevalent, but this does seem like a cool chance to try and see what it's like to chase a Rockstar-made "you" around a multiplayer arena. For those who share my ineptitude with face-creation suites (every one of my Commander Shepards comes out looking like an exceptionally bewildered Moira Brown, the power of her death-stare undiminished by her journey across time and space), this could also present an opportunity to let someone with a little graphical now-how fulfil your self-recreation desires.
If any of you Escapists enter this and appear in the game, do let us know. We promise we won't play favorites with your Max Payne 3-self more than the other characters. Promise!
Max Payne 3 is due for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC in March 2012.