The Unleashed Project for Sonic Generations ports most of the daytime levels (the levels where you don't play as a werehog) from Sonic Unleashed.
Remember Sonic Unleashed? It promised to allow players to relive the glory days of Sonic's past, speeding through glorious high-resolution raceways on next generation consoles. Then there was the revelation that half of the game would have you run around as a "werehog" punching things. It was the biggest mistake in a Sonic game since that one game where Shadow had a gun.
A dedicated team of modders has been hard at work to bring the good bits from Unleashed into the PC version of Sonic Generations. The total conversion ports over most of the daytime levels (the levels where you don't play as a werehog) from the Xbox 360 version of Unleashed, and is now available as a free download, provided you own a copy of Sonic Generations.
Other notable changes include improvements to the control scheme and framerate, as well as the addition of higher resolution graphics. The full list of new features and content is as follows:
- No console limitations. This means support for unlimited resolutions, high-quality texture filtering and 60 FPS gameplay as long as you have the hardware for it. Stages that had performance problems in the original game now work perfectly (with a proper setup).
- Eight Modern Sonic stages completely readapted from Sonic Unleashed. Lots of layout improvements, recreation of gimmicks, and fixing various bugs/glitches.
- Brand new White World Stage for level selection. Enjoy the new soundtrack arranged by Falk.
- Various High-Definition retextures by Lobotomy.
- No mandatory RPG elements, no medal collection, no Werehog.
- Superior control scheme, player speed, consistent camera control (no wildly changing FOVs or distances that would make a player nauseous and confused), support for various skills (such as Super Sonic), etc.
- Classic linear progression system for starting a new game. This new game won't overwrite your current save file (as long as you don't disable savefile redirection), so you can collect Red Rings and have new score and time records.
- New Red Ring locations for each level. S Ranks will require you to speedrun and optimize your route as much as possible.
- Alternate and experimental FxPipeline renderer included within the game. Provides support for special effects from Sonic Unleashed, such as directional shadows, directional light shafts, better motion blur, and much more! (Recommended to use)
Installing the mod is as simple as extracting the files into your Sonic Generations folder and running the new .exe file as an administrator. There is also a "low-end" version of the mod available, which sacrifices a lot of the new graphical improvements to increase performance.