The Nintendo Wii's digital distribution service for original titles has opened for the Japanese market.
Nintendo's online store for the Wii, WiiWare, has debuted on consoles in Japan. Initial reports showed the Nintendo servers buckling under the weight of millions of gamers accessing the service, causing load times to reach ten minutes or causing timeout errors.
The launch list features (each title is listed by its cost in Wii Points):
- Dr. Mario and Bacteria Extermination- 1000 Wii Points
- Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King- 1500 Wii Points
- LONPOS- 1000 Wii Points
- Mojipittan- 1000 Wii Points
- Okiraku Ping Pong Wii- 500 Wii Points
- Everyone's Pokémon Ranch- 1000 Wii Points
- Saku Saku Animal Panic- 1000 Wii Points
- Star Soldier R- 800 Wii Points
- Tenshi no Solitaire-500 Wii Points
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King and Mojipittan are WiiWare's first Pay-to-Play games, with additional costs for "data and service", according to the warning posted prior to downloading each title.