A Florida judge has found Jack Thompson guilty on 27 of the 31 professional misconduct charges leveled against him in his disbarment trial.
GamePolitics has the report on the decision, in which Judge Dava Tunis wrote, "After considering the arguments presented by the Florida Bar and the Respondent (Thompson), observing the Respondent's demeanor during the nine-day trial proceedings, and carefully reviewing the record consisting of four volumes of exhibits totaling 1700 pages and approximately 2400 pages of transcribed testimony, the Court finds that the facts, circumstances and evidence presented regarding the Respondent's conduct, supports a finding of guilt as to certain Florida Bar rules."
Among the charges of which Thompson was found guilty:
- Knowingly making a false statement of material fact or law to a tribunal
- Knowingly disobeying an obligation under the rules of a tribunal
- Communicating the merits of the case with a judge before whom the proceeding is pending
- Using means that have no purpose other than to embarrass, delay or burden a third person
- Engaging in conduct involving dishonesty, fraud, deceit or misrepresentation
- Engaging in conduct in connection with the practice of law that is prejudicial to the administration of justice, including to knowingly or through callous indifference disparage or humiliate litigants or other lawyers
- Making statements that the lawyer knows to be false or with reckless disregard as to the truth or falsity concerning the qualifications or integrity of a judge
The charges relate to Thompson's actions in an Alabama case in which he represented the families of two police officers and a police dispatcher who were killed by 18-year-old Devin Moore, as well as his attempt in 2006 to have Bully declared a public nuisance and two counts relating to non-videogame matters.
A disciplinary hearing will be held to determine possible sanctions against Thompson on June 4, and Judge Tunis' full report is due to go to the Florida Supreme Court on September 2. Thompson, meanwhile, has made several allegations against Judge Tunis, including that she did not properly sign state-mandated loyalty oaths. He also has lawsuits outstanding against the Florida Bar and the Florida Supreme Court.
Detailed coverage of Thompson's bar trial, included transcripts of the proceedings, are available at GamePolitics.com.