Xbox 360 sales in Japan have been abysmal so far, but Microsoft is aiming to turn that around with a barrage of role-playing game releases this year.
A slew of Japanese role-playing games are due out in Japan, including those from well-known developers Square-Enix and Namco Bandai.
- Tales of Vesperia - August, Japan and North America
- Infinite Undiscovery - September, worldwide
- Fable 2 - September, North America (TBD, Japan)
- Mass Effect - TBA, Japan
- The Last Remnant - December, worldwide
- Star Ocean 4 - TBA 2009, worldwide
Microsoft still faces an uphill battle, however, as it typically only moves a paltry few thousand units of Xbox 360s in Japan each week. Further, the console is heavily associated with first-person shooters, and there is no shortage of role-playing titles on other, far more popular platforms in the country, such as the Nintendo DS handheld and the PlayStation 2.
Source: Ars Technica