No super-secret insider details have been released (Is he dead? Isn't he?) but the game's Amazon entry does offer a few new insights into what we have to look forward to in the second part of the series. Among the listed product features:
- The second act of BioWare's epic sci-fi trilogy continues the story of Commander Shepard and humanity's first steps onto the galactic stage
- Success - or failure - depends heavily on the crew you assemble and their loyalty to you and the mission
- Stunning graphics and a refined dialog system will draw you into the story like never before
- Numerous improvements to the intense, third-person shooter combat
- Deep character customization options let you create your own vision of Commander Shepard
"The second chapter in the Mass Effect trilogy takes you to the darkest reaches of space, where you must uncover the mystery behind the disappearance of humans across many worlds," the site says. "Prepare yourself for a suicide mission to save mankind. Travel the galaxy to assemble a team of soldiers and combat specialists, and launch an all-out assault on the heart of enemy territory."
Like all good previews, this one inspires more questions than it actually answers. What happened to the crew of stalwart fellows you assembled in the first game? Is this unnamed enemy the Geth or someone entirely new? If this really is a suicide mission, won't Mass Effect 3 be awfully short? And what about... the Reapers?
Amazon has the game pegged for release on January 30, 2010. Read the whole thing for yourself right here.