Square Enix says stories about the large amount of content that was cut from Final Fantasy XIII were "taken out of context" and that it has no plans to release any downloadable content for the game.
It was reported in January that a "crapload" of content had been cut from Final Fantasy XIII, which came out in Japan in December and hits North American shelves in March. Art Director Isamu Kamikokuryou said enough material had been cut "to make an additional game," including the main character's home, a park, a "secret base" and even a zoo. Naturally, this led to all sorts of speculation that Squeenix was holding things back for later release as DLC.
Not so, according to Game Director Motomu Toriyama, who thinks the game is fine just the way it is. "Regarding the DLC content, we feel that the final product is 100 percent enjoyable... It's the complete package. So we're not planning any DLC at this time," he told the PlayStation Blog.
"In regard to the rumored cut content, we feel it was taken out of context," he continued. "There are a lot of ideas that are brought to the table, and then the team takes the best ideas out of those, and the final product is polished that way. There was content that were 'ideas' that didn't make the final content, but the team isn't looking to release that as downloadable content."
The "at this time" caveat leaves some wiggle room but the message is pretty clear: Don't hold your breath waiting for DLC. Final Fantasy XIII is scheduled for release in North America, Europe and Australia on March 9 for the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.