If you’re struggling through difficult Fallout 4 hacking challenges, you need the ‘Total Hack’ magazines. These bonus books unlock special source code abilities for a more robust hacking experience.
The wasteland is full of inactive Protectrons, sentry turrets, and other mechanical annoyances you’ll get to hack using nearby terminals. Almost every outpost or guarded interior will have a terminal. At the start of the game, you’ll be able to deactivate security measures. With these magazines, you’ll finally get a chance to take control of them.
Want even more useful info and advanced tips? Check out our Fallout 4 Survival Guide, with detailed descriptions for settlement building, companion management, and tons of other tidbits that just might change how you play the latest sandbox from Bethesda.
All 3 Hacker Magazines Locations Guide
Instead of increasing your stats like Bobbleheads, the ‘Total Hack’ books place unique holotapes into the player’s inventory. Loading these holodisks into a hacked terminal allows you to take control of any linked spotlights, turrets or robots.
After hacking a terminal, make sure to load the holodisk to reveal the extra computer options.
‘Total Hack’ Magazine Locations
- Magazine #1 (Turret Override Program): Wildwood Cemetery – Look under the tree with glowing fungus around the trunk at the center of the cemetery. On the stone walkway, the magazine is on the ground right next to the tree.
- Magazine #2 (Spotlight Override Program): Shamrock Taphouse – From the front entrance, head to the back-right corner of the first floor. There’s a room with a mannequin on the table. That mannequin is holding the magazine in it’s hand.
- Magazine #3 (Protectron Override Program): Wattz Consumer Electronics – Drop down into the basement through the fallen floor. There’s a small hallway with a deactivated Protectron. Use the terminal to remotely unlock the door into the restricted area office. Straight ahead, there’s a desk with a computer terminal. The magazine is on that desk.
Check out even more Fallout 4 Easter eggs and secrets on The Escapist:
- 8 Fallout 4 Easter Eggs and References You Should Go Find
- 8 Fallout 4 Mods to Enhance the Wasteland
- Fallout 4: X-01 Best Power Armor Location Guide
- Fallout 4: How to Dupe Items with Dogmeat
- Fallout 4: Alien Blaster Location Guide
- Fallout 4: How to Make an Infinite Adhesive Farm
Kevin Thielenhaus is a freelance writer for The Escapist. Find him on Twitter here.